Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18943 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Should Superman be stronger or weaker?

• 60 results
    Rick475069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Rick475069

If you want him stronger, what powers would you give him. If weaker, what powers would you want taken away? The Superman I'm talking about is the one in the main DC universe. New Earth or Earth-1 I think.

Avatar image for mr_hulk_smashin__
    Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mr.Hulk_Smashin'!

weaker, make his strength lower and he can't fly so fast.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Captain13

Weaker. 
    I would get rid of his super speed while running, because it makes the Flash a little less amazing (Flash fans understand). He should still fly super fast though.
    Get rid of all his breath powers. Replace heat vision with laser vision. 
    Lower his strength so that he can barely hold up two 747 air crafts. 

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By johnny_spam

Stronger
    More powerful than he has ever been and give him threats that no one else can handle but him because of his power and with more power and the threat is so insurmountable only Superman deals with it he becomes the DCU's major power player and deals with these Earth shattering threats also that might make the JLA more valuable as if he has to team with the JLA then something is very dangerous and he becomes more generous and pure of heart with the more power he gains. 

And it's Earth Zero.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DEADPOOL

Weaker, and make him slower aswell as remove his super speed (outside of flight).

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By GT-Man

weaker remove his superspeed of running fast and flying and make it 600MPH and make his streangh the same as hulk however strong he is and take away his ice breath he barly usese it
    Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Yung ANcient One

Avatar image for darkknight96000
    darkknight96000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By darkknight96000

Stronger MUCH STRONGER, have his power gradually increase over time and have him eventually become something akin to Superman Prime DC One Million.

Doc X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Doc X

Make him stronger,Slow him down so the Flash haves something to contribute,Drop the Justice League.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ssejllenrad

Weaker. He was best during the Golden Age. And I mean the real golden age not Earth 2 during the Silver Age. The Superman who can't fly but just leap really really high. Not invincible but just more durable than normal men. Faster only than a speeding bullet not faster than light.

If they can't bring him to that level then at least give back the consistency of the Byrne era. I don't like how he got stronger over time even though it was already post crisis.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @DarkKnight96000 said:

"Stronger MUCH STRONGER, have his power gradually increase over time and have him eventually become something akin to Superman Prime DC One Million. "

this is what i have always wanted them to do with him. Just slowly make him stronger and stronger. I want him to fly faster hit harder and face more god like and galactic foes by himself.  

****As for everyone talking about slowing him down i dont think that should be the case. I admit Superman should be as fast as or faster then the Flash (although on earth superman wouldnt be able to keep up with him be of all the destruction he would create from the vortex of wind that would be behin him) but i think they should be able to speed the flash up without him going in to the time force or he should be able to use the time force to move so quick it essentially teleports him running in to the speed force along the eastern seaboard heading and running out of the speed force ending up in china or Japan before someone can even blink.
    Avatar image for lordofthebrocean
    lordofthebrocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lordofthebrocean

Weaker? He is the definition of THE Superhero. He is supposed to be the World's Strongest non-magic Superhero. Too many writers screw with him for no good reason. They fail to realize what Superman is supposed to stand for and symbolize. He's not just an icon in comics, but in life as well. He's an icon to a lot of people who look up to him. They see him as a symbol of hope, and if he is crushed and defeated, what hope is there?

And I agree that he should become stronger, but not in one shot. He should be able to match the Flash in speed, but that comes slowly over time after racing the Flash over and over. He slowly and gradually increases his speed, eventually one day matching the Flash in speed, and the Flash is surprised by this, questioning if he truly is the World's Fastest Man. Now, this should be of course to a limit. Flash has been shown to be able to go through dimensions and time by surpassing light speed by tapping deep into the Speed Force, and he should still be allowed to do that, but Flash should realize that Superman can match him on normal terms if Flash didn't tap deep into the Speed Force and allow himself to travel through dimensions and time. I don't think Superman should travel through space and time, but like I said on normal terms, where Flash goes light speed only using a little bit of the Speed Force, Superman should be able to match him in speed.

Same thing with his strength. His strength should increase gradually and slowly, eventually Superman performing sun-dipped strength feats without being sun-dipped.

Everything slowly, though. Not in one shot.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Weaker.
    Then maybe weak, unimaginative writers will stop using the excuse he's too powerfull and boring.
    Don't take any powers but dial down what he's got.

Truth is we seem to only get bad stories from a massively powerfull superman. 
    That and the fact that it makes supes less and less relatable.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Gylan Thomas

See the thing is any one askin' for a stronger Superman aren't really thinkin' it through. 
    Superman's not just an idea. He's the central character of a serious of stories. It is very difficult to write exciting, interesting stories with a character who's too powerfull so ultimately makin' Big Blue more powerfull would result in poor comics.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Captain13
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " See the thing is any one askin' for a stronger Superman aren't really thinkin' it through.  Superman's not just an idea. He's the central character of a serious of stories. It is very difficult to write exciting, interesting stories with a character who's too powerfull so ultimately makin' Big Blue more powerfull would result in poor comics. "
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NightFang3

I think Superman is good as he is now.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ThanosIsMad

Tone him down a bit.  No one should be surviving a collision of two planets, exploding stars, and whatnot.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Gylan Thomas:
    as stated above i think she should get stronger through out the time line to the result of superman prime one million in one million years and i also agree with you that alot of his stories arent great bc he is so strong but that is why i continue to push that superman should start fighting in more galactic and cosmic
    battles against larger and more dangerous villains (likes of silver surfer and other beings like that maybe the ability to fight a rogue Oan or something like that)
    Lustwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lustwish

stronger, he lacks his intimidation like in the past.  Not sure what powers, there are some that could work, but not sure about.  He should be stronger and his intimidation factor needs work. 

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Primmaster64
    @ThanosIsMad said:
    " Tone him down a bit.  No one should be surviving a collision of two planets, exploding stars, and whatnot. "

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @DEGRAAF: 
    I can see where you're comin from but I disagree.
    I've never liked the huge cosmic stuff and feel that in most cases the more down to earth stroies are better recieved. 
    Keep him in Metropolis and put in more human interest stuff. I'm hopin' J' mike will give us some of what I want. Maybe have Krypto put to sleep, never ever use freeze breath or rever to Clark being Superboy.
    Love Geoff John as a writer but think he must've had a knock to the head to bring in some of the ideas he's put in Secret Origin.
    devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By devilmanex
    @ThanosIsMad said:
    " Tone him down a bit.  No one should be surviving a collision of two planets, exploding stars, and whatnot. "
    I strongly concur.  No one who isn't COSMIC should be able to survive those things.  Especially not a race of people who are so affected by a star's color
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Stronger. He's Superman. Not above-average superhuman man. SUPER. He's the first. He's the best. It's time he showed that again.

Norbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Norbit

I think he needs better super villaisn to challange him DC supervillains are crappy, mabye import some marvel ones to fight him.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Norbit said:
    " I think he needs better super villaisn to challange him DC supervillains are crappy, mabye import some marvel ones to fight him. "
    Lex Luthor, Darkseid, Doomsday, Brainiac, Parasite, Metallo, Mongul, Bizarro, Mr Mxyzptlk, Zod.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @Norbit said:
    " I think he needs better super villaisn to challange him DC supervillains are crappy, mabye import some marvel ones to fight him. "
    Lex Luthor, Darkseid, Doomsday, Brainiac, Parasite, Metallo, Mongul, Bizarro, Mr Mxyzptlk, Zod. "
    I think Norbit was talking about strength wise. Lex can match wits, The rest of them (besides Mr. Mxyzptlk) can match strength. Zod doesnt seem as much of a villain to superman any more, that might change soon but at this point its more like they just dont see eye to eye but their on the same page

@Gylan Thomas:

wow you really want to make him more down to earth... killing off Krypto? thats like sac-religous to the superman world isnt it? lol 

he doesnt use freeze breath that much now 

Yea i kinda thought they were pulling him away from the superboy stuff
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @DEGRAAF said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    " @Norbit said:
    Lex Luthor, Darkseid, Doomsday, Brainiac, Parasite, Metallo, Mongul, Bizarro, Mr Mxyzptlk, Zod. "
    I think Norbit was talking about strength wise. Lex can match wits, The rest of them (besides Mr. Mxyzptlk) can match strength. Zod doesnt seem as much of a villain to superman any more, that might change soon but at this point its more like they just dont see eye to eye but their on the same page.

Fair enough.

I want Supes to have the powers he has now, but at their Silver Age levels. None of those weird powers he got for a while back then. Super-hypnotism and alike.
    Norbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Norbit
    @FadeToBlackBolt    Galactus, Thanos, Apocalypse, magneto, juggernaught, Dr doom, venom, red Hulk, The Leader  , Loki, The Absorbing Man , Omega red, Exodus, need i say more the list goes on a lot longer than yours, and with characters who actually are powerful enough to give him a *real* challange.    
    King_Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By King_Thor

Hmmm...I suppose Superman will always have a little room to be stronger or weaker depending on his absorption of sunlight.  There should be, however, defined boundaries to his power set.  In the 80s, John Byrne de-powered Supes quite a bit from his omnipotent level of power at that point in time.  He was even killed by Doomsday.  He has since slowly crept back up the power scale.  See, the thing about Supes is he is DC's golden boy...their bread and butter along with Batman and Wonder Woman.  He is America's superhero.  The superhero by which all others are measured.  Superman will always be as strong as the story requires him to be to be on top.  We've seen Supes lose a few over the decades.  But you will NEVER see him lose to "heavies" from rival companies (see JLA/Avengers crossover vs Thor...).   

I suppose the real question is:  will we ever see DC give an honest portrayal of Superman and the full extent of his powers against a more powerful superhero from a rival company?   

I seriously doubt it.  It's the reason I will never read any more crossovers with Superman vs superhero "X" from rival comic company B or C.   

Hey...who likes to watch a "fixed fight".  Not me.
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Norbit said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt    Galactus, Thanos, Apocalypse, magneto, juggernaught, Dr doom, venom, red Hulk, The Leader  , Loki, The Absorbing Man , Omega red, Exodus, need i say more the list goes on a lot longer than yours, and with characters who actually are powerful enough to give him a *real* challange.     "
    I only listed Superman villains. I could always list every villain in DC, but that seems rather redundant. The point is, Superman has great villains, and the fact you included Omega Red and Venom on a list of villains who could give Supes a challenge is laughable.
    Norbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Norbit
    @FadeToBlackBolt : not really they are all cool villians. Yes Omega red so what?
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Norbit: I like Omega Red too, and I'm not saying Marvel's villains are bad or anything. All I'm saying is that you were incorrect before when you said that DC Villains are lame. 

The Omega Red thing was just referring to how he would last about 13 microseconds against Superman in a fight. But as a foe of the X-Men, he works, and is a solid character.
    Avatar image for kitsuneconundrum
    kitsuneconundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By kitsuneconundrum

Make superman stronger but put him in more lose-lose situations. 

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MKF30

I think Superman personally should have ridiculous power, live up to the name "Superman" 

I honestly loved Silver Age Superman, Golden Supes they are so cool IMO...normal Superman is fine but I think should be between his name and DC's first character top 5 most powerful guys in DCU, he's easily top 10 for sure.

Avatar image for incredible_hulk_prime
    Incredible Hulk-Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Weaker

Superman  shouldn't be able to lift planets,  his strength level should be lower down a little bit, he shouldn't  be able to survive planet explosions, his speed should be the same as lightspeed, he shouldn't be able to go pass light speed, but he should be able to out speed Flash on occations. Superman should lose the ice breath, seeing how he doesn't use it that much. His heat vision should be the same heat level as the sun,but not hotter. He shouldn't have the same abilities he had in Silver and Golden age.  I think we could be able to read more awsome stories if he was a little bit weaker. I know he is Superman,but his powers are not what makes him Superman, I mean he could be Superman without powers. The thing that makes him Superman is the same with other heroes, he never gives up, he always tries his best, he is able to get through tough times, he tries to fnd a quick ways  to solve things. That is all I can think of for right now,but I think there are more. Anyways it is not the powers that make him super, it is how he deals with things that makes him super.  He is the only one who was able to show how to deal with these things the right way  that is why he is one of the first super heroes and why he is "SUPERMAN".

Scarecrow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Scarecrow4
    @DarkKnight96000 said:
    " Stronger MUCH STRONGER, have his power gradually increase over time and have him eventually become something akin to Superman Prime DC One Million. "
    grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By grimreaper1980

i heard once that he was able to knock planets out orbit with a punch, if that's true, then he should be that strong all the time

CylonDorado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CylonDorado

I liked his strength level in the DCAU.
    Bio Guyver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bio Guyver

Weaker.

Norbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Norbit
    @FadeToBlackBolt:
    How do you know Omega red and Venom would die in an instant? Superman has been frustrated by week villians before. Besides DC villians are lame. 
    Omaga red is cooler than all DC villians you mentioned combined with the exception of DarkSeid.
    GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GT-Man
    @Lustwish said:
    "stronger, he lacks his intimidation like in the past.  Not sure what powers, there are some that could work, but not sure about.  He should be stronger and his intimidation factor needs work.  "

STRONGER ARE YOU CRAZY
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AtPhantom

Why do you people hate his freeze breath so much?

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By The Devil Tiger

Weaker. 

A lttle less resilient. Less of superspeed because with superspeed of flash magnitude  he's just invincible and boring.
    Ptero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ptero

Honestly, I would leave him as is, except for his superspeed.  I would take much of that away.  

It makes the speedsters a little more pointless if he can much of what they can while also being invulnerable and strong.

I would cut his ground speed to a few hundred mph, still fast enough to be faster than normal eyes can track at close range, but not enough to make him take away the speedsters role.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @DEGRAAF: 

I'm really not a fan of any uperpowered animal. Especially not one with a cape. 
    No dog could be trained to keep a secret identity so if Supe's wants to keep his he'd have to leave Krypto at the fortress of solitude. Or give him a kryptonite injection.
    I a big fan of Marvel and DC but often find myself leaning towards Marvels style of story telling. No superpets there.
    Yeah, yeah. Pet Avengers. They rarely if ever enter any stories out side of their own mini's though.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Norbit: 
    Batman, Flash and Green Lantern at least all have some decent villains.
    Omega Red does kinda suck too. I sorta think that's why he's not really been used much. After all he's really nto actually made that many appearances since he first arrived.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Gylan Thomas:
    Im not normally either but i for some reason i make an exception for Krypto. I agree he shouldnt have a cape (altho he only puts it on when he is fighting crime right?). I dont know about him not being able to keep a secret. The writers have seemed to make him as smarter than a human child, just cant talk (super intelligent for a dog). Its not like he couldnt keep the secret, hos he gonna tell someone unless he leads them to the kent farm or to "Clark" or "Conner" which he seems to be smarter than that
    mv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mv

stronger and give him stronger enemies, he can't lift planets whoever said he could

grimreaper1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By grimreaper1980
    @CylonDorado:
    i kinda liked him there too, cause his strength increased as the show progressed, kinda like he was getting older onscreen
    Norbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Norbit
    @Gylan Thomas:
    I think its cos its hard to write him into the plots... 

And yes Batman has ALL the great villians.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.