Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 19039 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Man of Steel was a good mix between pre-52 and new-52

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1 frozen  Moderator

Did anyone else think this?

MOS was able to update/modernize Superman's suit but also his character and add good action sequences. But he beared resemblance to the New-52 Superman, but he is different. MOS kept Superman's mother alive (Ma Kent) and was able to make it work, Superman showed compassion and understood humans more (MOS Superman gave himself up to the authorities while New-52 Superman mocked them in Action Comics #1).

New-52 Superman has lost relatability, he likes to punch alot (as seen in JLA) and his relationship with Wonder Woman is meh. How does he have any relatbility? He's become an action-hero and dates one of D.C's most beautiful characters.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I dislike this thread and will therefore leave.To you I say good day.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Cavill was very bland and toneless in his delivery and performance as Superman. Most of the blame lies in the hands of the script but part of it also lies in Cavill's performance I'm afraid. That film diluted, distorted and ruined for me the essence of Superman far more than the New 52 has been able to do so thus far. New 52 Superman is called out for his brutish actions but in the words of my mother after seeing MOS, Superman was a "glorified super soldier" in that film once he started out. I couldn't get behind Cavill's Superman whereas I could get behind New 52 Superman in the hands of Morrison, Snyder and Pak.

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@lvenger said:

Cavill was very bland and toneless in his delivery and performance as Superman. Most of the blame lies in the hands of the script but part of it also lies in Cavill's performance I'm afraid. That film diluted, distorted and ruined for me the essence of Superman far more than the New 52 has been able to do so thus far. New 52 Superman is called out for his brutish actions but in the words of my mother after seeing MOS, Superman was a "glorified super soldier" in that film once he started out. I couldn't get behind Cavill's Superman whereas I could get behind New 52 Superman in the hands of Morrison, Snyder and Pak.

I disagree. I think he was one of the better Superman actors. and realistically it was about him struggling with his powers, not "I'm going to follow a strict moral code right now, so I don't kill Zod, who killed millions of people". I honestly think this portrayal was a lot more true to characteristics of that in the comic book.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I get that not everyone sees it in theaters, man but this topic has been beat to death. Prepare for a flame war.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I disagree. I think he was one of the better Superman actors. and realistically it was about him struggling with his powers, not "I'm going to follow a strict moral code right now, so I don't kill Zod, who killed millions of people". I honestly think this portrayal was a lot more true to characteristics of that in the comic book.

No it wasn't in the slightest. Even rookie Superman had a care for the citizens he protected but once Cavill's Superman started fighting the Kryptonians, it was destruction central as he destroyed a town and large parts of the city in fights against Faora, Nam-Ek and Zod. Plus I never got the vibe of friendliness, compassion or empathy that Pre Flashpoint Superman exuded in his writing and that Christopher deftly captured in his performance as Superman. And I'm not a fan of a truer portrayal of Superman murdering a villain in cold blood regardless of how long he'd been on the job for.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Ehh. Cavill was good, not great. When I think new 52 Superman I think justice league + wonder woman + Scott lobdell, and I don't like it. My only big problem with man of steel was that superman was forced to become superman, instead of becoming him on his own or with parents help.

Johnni_Kun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Johnni_Kun

@saint_wildcard: So, what was the point of your post then?

I thought that Superman was okay. If MoS Superman actually inspirited hope in the film, I would've said that he was good modern take on the character. However, he didn't so he stays in the realms of okay, to decent.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SanoHibiki

I try not to analyze MOS too much from positions of his comics’ counterpart. Cavill’s Superman is part of DC Cinematic Universe; there is no need for him to be reimagining of comics. Overall, he goes with recently updated concept of Superman – like Smallville, New-52 and Injustice.

I don’t want to argue about MOS’s merits, but I must point out that it was easy for him to gave up himself to military – really, what could they done to him at this point of his life? Answer is nothing. New-52 Clark got tortured in hands of military-Lex’s alliance, his reaction completely understandable.

And about New-52 Super’s relatability. Morrison gave me my favorite ever mainstream Superman in his AC’s run, and overall, I personally find New-52 Superman more relatable than his Pre-52 predecessor.

Good day to you.

P.S. As Fallschirmjager said,

Prepare for a flame war.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SaintWildcard

@lvenger said:

@comedy_brosusa said:

@lvenger said:

No it wasn't in the slightest. Even rookie Superman had a care for the citizens he protected but once Cavill's Superman started fighting the Kryptonians, it was destruction central as he destroyed a town and large parts of the city in fights against Faora, Nam-Ek and Zod. Plus I never got the vibe of friendliness, compassion or empathy that Pre Flashpoint Superman exuded in his writing and that Christopher deftly captured in his performance as Superman. And I'm not a fan of a truer portrayal of Superman murdering a villain in cold blood regardless of how long he'd been on the job for.

Cold Blood? Who killed in cold blood?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By z3ro180

Why did you make this thread. Just let all MoS related opinions die.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@comedy_brosusa said:

@lvenger said:

well Kal's not just gonna know how to control his anger because 'oh i'm a super hero now.' that's the whole point of the movie! to show him becoming Superman. and if you look at the original Superrman strips, he used to throw wife beaters against walls and practically kill people. but do you see that NOW in the comics....no. so he learned HOW to act as a hero over the years

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

I get that not everyone sees it in theaters, man but this topic has been beat to death. Prepare for a flame war.

QFT

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comedy_brosusa: You're talking about different versions of character. The evolution of the character across the decades is unrelated to how he acted in the Pre Flashpoint era when he was a different character from the Golden Age and Silver Age interpretations of Superman.

@saint_wildcard You and I both know we radically differ on that scene from whether Superman could have found another way or not. You also know where I stand on that matter.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

No Caption Provided

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I was stating that MOS is showing his early years before he was a formal hero. case closed. it isn't even subtle. it's in your face that it is before he was Superman formally. they barely even call him superman in the movie so that's another hint.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comedy_brosusa: That's exactly my problem, the fact that Superman was forced rather than guided into action.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I think MoS did a great job creating an entirely new and fresh take on Superman. New 52 Superman is really great for the youngsters, I guess. But I feel like New 52 Superman is further down a dark road than MoS Superman is.

Essentially, I agree with the OP. MoS is a middle ground between New 52 and Post Crisis Superman.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the film and Cavill's portrayal of Superman. Although, both could've been a bit lighter, the majority of fans, and average movie goers liked the film as it was. It was a great sic-fi/super hero film and if you're not a nostalgia critic, or nit-picking 'uber'-fan, then you can appreciate the film as that.

myerlanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely enjoyed MOS. The acting was solid but not great. It had some pacing and character development issues but I liked the relauch of the personality of the character. Also with more of the scenes of krypton, the environments, the animals, and politics, really demonstrated just how alien Clark is. Besides the fact that he flys, has heat ray, x ray, microscopic vision, godly strength, etc. I felt it gave a solid potrayal of how alienated Clark felt with these abilities and the responsibility that comes with them.

I also enjoyed the action and the special effects. The fight scenes where massive and damaging. The displays of the abilities were cool. The kryptonian suits, space ships, and technology was vicious. Bottom line I liked the film.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SaintWildcard

@lvenger said:

@saint_wildcard You and I both know we radically differ on that scene from whether Superman could have found another way or not. You also know where I stand on that matter.

I understand that, but you said he killed his villain in cold blood. I ain't no English professor, but in cold blood to me means you do it without emotion, with no regrets and cruel intent. Pretty sure he begged Zod to stop before he killed him and after which he felt terrible for having to take a life. Whether or nor he could have found an other way to stop Zod is an other discussion.

deathstroke19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

.....Not again!

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I honestly I feel with all these criticism of MOS is that it all feels like everyone has watched a different movie and we can't make out which one is the correct version of it. However yes, they should have made Superman lighter but with that being said, they really couldn't do that because they must have to differentiate themselves from Marvel, Marvel basically has the market of fluffy pop art superhero movies down, so DC must go dark or otherwise people would assume they are with Marvel.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

Why did you make this thread. Just let all MoS related opinions die.

At this point this is a really good advice.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@wolverine08 said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

cavill has tiny hands.....they creep me out.....seriously i wont be able to un-see that now....

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

cavill has tiny hands.....they creep me out.....seriously i wont be able to un-see that now....

Oops… Sorry, that wasn’t my intention.

Maybe that just some bad angle while filming. If his hands really so tiny, I shudder to think of what size Amy Adams’ hands; look on the other gifs – are his hands still look that small to you?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

Oops… Sorry, that wasn’t my intention.

Maybe that just some bad angle while filming. If his hands really so tiny, I shudder to think of what size Amy Adams’ hands; look on the other gifs – are his hands still look that small to you?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

His costume is much more bright than I thought

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@sanohibiki:

Lol yeah....they just seem disproportionate to the rest of him and it's weird

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh...

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SandMan_

@lvenger: that's all Goyers and Snyders fault.

myerlanski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By myerlanski

Didn't Superman killed Zod in Superman2 with Christopher Reeves? He liked crushed his hand, after essentially changing him human on a molecular level and then threw Zod down a pit in the fortress of Solitude. Its seems like no writer will let old persistent Zod live lol.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_ said:

@lvenger: that's all Goyers and Snyders fault.

That's where my finger is pointed at for the faults of this movie mate.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By Bezza

@myerlanski:

You are right on that score, but I think the brutality of Superman killing Zod in MOS is perhaps what upsets some of our hard core Superman fans on here. I think we really do need to let this subject drop tbh. Everyone knows where all the regular posters stand on the film by now. Personally I quite liked it and though Cavill was ok, but I appreciate others didn't.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.