Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18958 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Do you think man of steel will affect the superman comics?

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Stormbox

Even though people complain about this more at marvel, dc has done changes to the dcu to make it fit better for the movies, like supermans costume in last son (similar to superman returns) or the look of kryptonian technology, oas landscape in some green lantern comics (or so ive been told) among others

So do you think theyll alter some stuff to fit better with the movie?

• Tthe look of krypton and its technology, like they did before flashpoint?
    • Some modifications to supermans costume?
    • Maybe lois will change her hair color?
    • Or will they pull a nick fury jr with perry white?

What do you think?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By colonyofcells

If the Superman movie flops, it probably won't influence the comics too much.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Gambit1024

Maybe, but I doubt it. The movies haven't really changed Batman and his comics, have they?

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Onemoreposter

@Stormbox: I'd say it already has. Both the people who write the comics and make the movies work for the same company. When DC rebooted last year many of the status quo changes we saw to Superman are probably things we'll see in the movie as well. I expect we'l see both Ma and Pa Kent deceased for most of the film as well as other small things about the Daily Planet and supporting cast that correlates with the comics since the reboot.

@Gambit1024 said:

Maybe, but I doubt it. The movies haven't really changed Batman and his comics, have they?

Well, they did at least a little bit. They changed Batman's costume to an all black one with a yellow oval like we saw in the Burton films and Batman Forever for much of the 90's

Remember that?

Also, with Batman you have to remember that the films weren't the only form of media influencing peoples perception of Batman in the 90's. There was also long running Batman TAS which ended up greatly affecting the comics. Harley Quinn, Mr. Freezes backstory, and many other aspects of that show would end up translating to the comics.

As for Nolan, he's always made it clear that his movie's were sort of a one off on Batman. He purposely wanted them to stand out and be different from the comics. However, I imagine Batman Begins was responsible for expediting the return of Ras to the comics (who was dead at the time). Also, it didn't take long after The Dark Knight for Joker to develop facial scars and not be seen on panel without a knife in his hand. There was also that "I Joker" graphic novel featuring a Joker almost identical in design to the one from the film.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

@Onemoreposter: Good points. But when you put it like that, even if things do change, it's for the better, right? I mean, Superman already had a costume change with the New 52 (and it's been a mostly positive reaction thus far), and if they do decide to revamp some villains like Zod, I think that'd be great. For years I've been saying that the Superman villains were in a desperate need of a revamp, and if the movies are going to be the cause, more power to them. Also, Zack Snyder has been clear that this movie is being made as if nothing else has, so you know that he's looking for the same uniqueness that Nolan got with his Batman franchise.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Onemoreposter

@Gambit1024: Could be for the better. I'm in the minority group that prefers the trunks. I think the way Darwyn Cooke drew everyone in New Frontier like they were wearing something an oldschool weight lifter would wear as opposed to a speedo was perfect.

As for revamping Superman's villains, DC has tried and tried again but they usually fail. Zod alone has gone through at least 3 different forms (not including the pocket dimension one, which was pretty much modeled on the pre-crisis version)

There was Pokolistan Zed/Zod

Phantom Zone old man spikey Zod

And finally Geoff "I retcon everything back to the 70s" Johns Zod (who was heavily based on the version from the Superman movie)

Also off the top of my head I remember when they tried to introduce new Parasites. Remember this brother and sister duo?

They didn't last very long...

Overall, I'm good with change as long as the change is good although I also detest change just for it's own sake. Either way though, change just often has a hard time sticking.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Onemoreposter: Awesome points, I liked the black costumes too

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ssejllenrad

@Onemoreposter said:

And finally Geoff "I retcon everything back to the 70s" Johns Zod (who was heavily based on the version from the Superman movie)

Wasn't this version co-written by Superman director Richard Donner?

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Gambit1024

@ssejllenrad said:

@Onemoreposter said:

Yep.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By danhimself

@Gambit1024 said:

@ssejllenrad said:

@Onemoreposter said:

Yep.

and it was also one of the best Superman runs in years

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Onemoreposter

@danhimself said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@ssejllenrad said:

@Onemoreposter said:

Yep.

Phantom Zone villains escape and then are defeated through some lame deus ex machina. I preferred Donner's first go it. There was no annoying kid the first time.

Ok, honestly, it was probably one of the better things from Johns and I own much of the run. But one of the best Superman run's in years? Hardly.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By danhimself

@Onemoreposter said:

@danhimself said:

@Gambit1024 said:

@ssejllenrad said:

@Onemoreposter said:

Yep.

Phantom Zone villains escape and then are defeated through some lame deus ex machina. I preferred Donner's first go it. There was no annoying kid the first time.

Ok, honestly, it was probably one of the better things from Johns and I own much of the run. But one of the best Superman run's in years? Hardly.

in the last decade name any mainstream Superman title that beats...no elseworld titles...also when I say "run" I'm talking about all of Johns run on Superman including the Legion and Brainiac stuff

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Onemoreposter

@danhimself said:

perman title that beats...no elseworld titles...also when I say "run" I'm talking about all of Johns run on Superman including the Legion and Brainiac stuff

As am I. Though I didn't like how all the old Brainiac stuff just got thrown out the window when he did his arc. Especially the Our Worlds at War B13 stuff. He also sort've lost me with New Krypton and War of the Supermen.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By danhimself

@Onemoreposter said:

@danhimself said:

perman title that beats...no elseworld titles...also when I say "run" I'm talking about all of Johns run on Superman including the Legion and Brainiac stuff

As am I. Though I didn't like how all the old Brainiac stuff just got thrown out the window when he did his arc. Especially the Our Worlds at War B13 stuff. He also sort've lost me with New Krypton and War of the Supermen.

it wasn't really thrown out the window...he just said that every Brainiac that Superman had fought up until then were just robot shells and not the real Brainiac...Johns didn't do War of the Supermen...that was James Robinson

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Onemoreposter

@danhimself said:

@Onemoreposter said:

@danhimself said:

it wasn't really thrown out the window...he just said that every Brainiac that Superman had fought up until then were just robot shells and not the real Brainiac...Johns didn't do War of the Supermen...that was James Robinson

Lol, but they so obviously weren't "just robot shells." Also, your right about War of the Supermen.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

Honestly if they wanted to give Superman the same costume in the comics as he'll have in Man of Steel, or some variation thereof, I'd be fine with it. I don't like the armor let me say that right now. Everything else about the costume is fine, but it needs some more yellow and no armor. Like the new Earth 2 Superman costume or the Smallville costume. Those are examples of how to make a Superman costume without the briefs look good and still keep to the classic color scheme.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jrock85

I wouldn't be surprised if he's back with Lois by the time the movie rolls around.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By sethysquare

@jrock85 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he's back with Lois by the time the movie rolls around.

I highly doubt that. That is one thing that wont change. DC has gone outta the way to make Superman interesting again. We don't need a rehash

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By entropy_aegis

@sethysquare said:

@jrock85 said:

I highly doubt that. That is one thing that wont change. DC has gone outta the way to make Superman interesting again. We don't need a rehash

By giving him a lame villain like He'l?

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jrock85

@entropy_aegis said:

@sethysquare said:

@jrock85 said:

LOL Splitting he and Lois up made him more interesting?

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sethysquare

@jrock85 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@sethysquare said:

@jrock85 said:

LOL Splitting he and Lois up made him more interesting?

1. By adding an anti hero to the ranks. For the longest time it has been Kara, Kon and Kal. Now, there's H'el.

2. By giving him an a list artist and writer.

3. Duh, Lois and him together just makes the whole thing so cliche. Its a typical Fleisher cartoon. Lois Lane getting into trouble, Superman saving her. I mean, yeah that story was interesting in the 50s. We're in the 21st century now, time for new stories.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By MrDirector786

I don't really think it will but we'll see what happens.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jrock85

@sethysquare: I really hope you were talking about Morrison when you say "A list writer." If you look at how the sales for both of his titles have plummeted over the last year, I don't see how you can argue that he and Lois not being together has made him more interesting.

His books may not sell as well as Batman's, but that doesn't mean that he's a broken character and needs to be fixed.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sethysquare

@jrock85 said:

@sethysquare: I really hope you were talking about Morrison when you say "A list writer." If you look at how the sales for both of his titles have plummeted over the last year, I don't see how you can argue that he and Lois not being together has made him more interesting.

His books may not sell as well as Batman's, but that doesn't mean that he's a broken character and needs to be fixed.

Is this the type of nonsensical analogy you come up with?

You do know that Batman, Justice League, Detective, Flash, Wonder Woman all lost about 60% of sales since #1.

Superman and Action Comics is doing fine with regards to sales. It hasn't "plummet" so much that it is a problem.

Also, I'm talking about Scott and Kenneth taking the reign of Superman. Its finally something worth reading. This coming from someone who hated the first 12 issues but stick to it for a whole year.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jrock85

@sethysquare said:

@jrock85 said:

Is this the type of nonsensical analogy you come up with?

You do know that Batman, Justice League, Detective, Flash, Wonder Woman all lost about 60% of sales since #1.

Superman and Action Comics is doing fine with regards to sales. It hasn't "plummet" so much that it is a problem.

Also, I'm talking about Scott and Kenneth taking the reign of Superman. Its finally something worth reading. This coming from someone who hated the first 12 issues but stick to it for a whole year.

No Caption Provided
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By PowerHerc

Yes, at least temporarily.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By entropy_aegis

@jrock85:Ignore him,majority of his DC experience comes from the New-52.

His 3 ridiculous arguments in favor of the new-52 Superman made it absolutely clear that he's had limited exposure to Superman stories.

@sethysquare:

He'l is an anti-hero? cool so was Eradicator and he was much more interesting in every conceivable way.

Rocafort and Lobdell are far cry from A-list.

Have you seen STAS? that had Superman saving Lois all the time,would you call it lame and 50's? nope I'd say it was leagues ahead of what we're getting now.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sethysquare

@entropy_aegis said:

@jrock85:Ignore him,majority of his DC experience comes from the New-52.

His 3 ridiculous arguments in favor of the new-52 Superman made it absolutely clear that he's had limited exposure to Superman stories.

@sethysquare:

He'l is an anti-hero? cool so was Eradicator and he was much more interesting in every conceivable way.

Rocafort and Lobdell are far cry from A-list.

Have you seen STAS? that had Superman saving Lois all the time,would you call it lame and 50's? nope I'd say it was leagues ahead of what we're getting now.

You sound so ignorant. Did you just missed out that I've said I hated the first 12 issues of Superman?

Go look up the Superman forum over here, nobody liked the first 12 issues. Its only when Scott and Kenneth joined the team that everyone started liking it. Go everywhere on the internet, the feeling is unanimous.

Duh, obviously, I've seen Superman the Animated Series. That was a fun TV series aimed for kids for sure. But nevertheless I did enjoy every single episode of it. Since you're not even a Superman fan unlike me, you have so much lesser to contribute to this conversation.

Yes majority of STAS was Clark Kent saving Lois Lane and that was very much a staple in Fleischer cartoons in the 40s. But Bruce Timm added much more elements and not every episode involves Superman saving Lois. Nevertheless the comic books have not been like that for YEARS.

In case you didn't know, throughout Geoff John's run and New Krypton saga, Lois was basically a housewife. Yes, she was. Even throughout grounded, she was never the damsel in distress anymore.

And since Geoff's run that would be about 10 years since then. Sure, Superman still saves Lois occasionally, but the dynamics have been altered so much ever since they got married. Lois knows Clark is Superman and has on many occasion depended more on Superman to save the day than going out for journalistic exploitation because she has instant access to Superman.

Throughout new krypton saga, Kal basically left Lois Lane to mingle with the Kryptonians.

So don't act all smug and think that know all 50 years of Superman history. Since you don't hang around superman boards much, you really don't have much credibility here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
    deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The comics will be affected by the movie, just look at the prior successful comic book based movies and how aspects of them made their way into the actual comics in varying ways. As for how much will be based on two things:

1 - The success of the movie

2 - How much the movie varies from the source material

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Eternal19

Most likely, but i doubt it will be anything major since i havent seen any major changes to batman comics. But i might be wrong. Remember when Smallville was popular and every writer was trying to incorporate parts of that show into the comics. If the movie is a sucess, DC might try incorporating aspects of it into the comics

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By entropy_aegis

@sethysquare:Well then if post count is a measure of credibility then I am almost 4 times as credible as you.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sethysquare

@entropy_aegis said:

@sethysquare:Well then if post count is a measure of credibility then I am almost 4 times as credible as you.

I've never said post count is a measure of credibility. But you are not credible when you're a random poster coming in to trash talk other posters that frequents the superman boards,loves the character with passion and have meaningful conversation with other like minded people in the superman boards to discuss about our favourite hero. I'm not even sure if you read any Superman stuff at all. While I have basically read almost all of the greatest Superman stories (birthright is definitely not one of the greatest stories I've read) and yet you come in and trash talk about me that the only knowledge I have of Superman is in the new 52. Its an insult and its not the first time you have done that. So begone and stop bothering me.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By entropy_aegis

@sethysquare said:

@entropy_aegis said:

I've never said post count is a measure of credibility. But you are not credible when you're a random poster coming in to trash talk other posters that frequents the superman boards,loves the character with passion and have meaningful conversation with other like minded people in the superman boards to discuss about our favourite hero. I'm not even sure if you read any Superman stuff at all. While I have basically read almost all of the greatest Superman stories (birthright is definitely not one of the greatest stories I've read) and yet you come in and trash talk about me that the only knowledge I have of Superman is in the new 52. Its an insult and its not the first time you have done that. So begone and stop bothering me.

Yeah well I can go on and list all the Superman stories I've read,but seriously why bother,it's a lot more than you ever did.

The fact you just dissed Birthright shows your true love for the character,what's next? claim love for Batman and then say The Dark Knight Returns was crap.

And yes I am very much correct in assuming that most of your knowledge comes from the new-52 and some of other well known/gimmick stories.

I will never claim to be an expert on Superman,but I've read some of the most forgettable and barely known stories with him.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Eternal19

@entropy_aegis said:

@sethysquare said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Yeah well I can go on and list all the Superman stories I've read,but seriously why bother,it's a lot more than you ever did.

The fact you just dissed Birthright shows your true love for the character,what's next? claim love for Batman and then say The Dark Knight Returns was crap.

And yes I am very much correct in assuming that most of your knowledge comes from the new-52 and some of other well known/gimmick stories.

I will never claim to be an expert on Superman,but I've read some of the most forgettable and barely known stories with him.

Just because other people consider TDKR and birthright to be the greatest superman stories, doesnt mean everyone has to like it. I love Superman and I personally enjoyed Birthright but its not the best Superman story ever. I love batman and I hated The Dark Knight Returns because of Miller's terrible use of certain Characters in the book, that doesnt mean I like batman any less than the next guy.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Eternal19 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@sethysquare said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Just because other people consider TDKR and birthright to be the greatest superman stories, doesnt mean everyone has to like it. I love Superman and I personally enjoyed Birthright but its not the best Superman story ever. I love batman and I hated The Dark Knight Returns because of Miller's terrible use of certain Characters in the book, that doesnt mean I like batman any less than the next guy.

Which characters did Miller misuse? Superman? well good thing it was a Batman story.I also dont give a crap about Year:One,just found it to be rather boring but it is definitely one of the greatest Batman stories ever objectively speaking.

It's not just a mere matter of likes or dislikes,but more of an objective analysis.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sethysquare

@Eternal19 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@sethysquare said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Thank you!

Yes, I did not enjoy birthright as much as other origin stories, mostly cause I thought it was a little too much like smallville and that it was a little too soapy. I thought Secret Origins did it much better. I even enjoyed John Bryne and Earth One a little more than Birthright.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sethysquare

@entropy_aegis said:

@sethysquare said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Please. Just go away and stop being a troll. I am pretty sure you are making a fool outta yourself.

Just FYI, Kingdom Come is more of the definitive story for Superman than Birthright or Red Son or Earth One or Whats so funny about the truth, justice and the american way.

Maybe, some would consider Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow or John Bryne's The Man of Steel.

But Birthright is far from being the definitive Superman story and not liking Birthright doesn't make anyone less of a fan.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Lvenger

Come on @sethysquare: and @entropy_aegis: let's keep things calm here. We don't need a flame war breaking out.

As for the thread's question, it's highly possible. Chris was introduced after Superman Returns and the comics always do something subtle to link them to the movies in question. What DC might do after Man of Steel I don't know. I'm hoping Snyder's new title will be called Man of Steel as that would be a fitting name for a 3rd Superman title.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sethysquare

@Lvenger said:

Come on @sethysquare: and @entropy_aegis: let's keep things calm here. We don't need a flame war breaking out.

As for the thread's question, it's highly possible. Chris was introduced after Superman Returns and the comics always do something subtle to link them to the movies in question. What DC might do after Man of Steel I don't know. I'm hoping Snyder's new title will be called Man of Steel as that would be a fitting name for a 3rd Superman title.

But Chris Kent had nothing to do with Superman Returns. I recall, that boy is called Jason or something? Or did you meant like Kal being a father figure?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#40  Edited By Lvenger

@sethysquare: I meant like making Clark a father figure like he was Jason's father in Superman Returns.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sethysquare

@Lvenger said:

@sethysquare: I meant like making Clark a father figure like he was Jason's father in Superman Returns.

Oh okay. Although Kal wasn't really a father figure to Jason, but yeah I got your point. I think MOS would definitely influence the comics a little just like how Smallville also influenced the comics.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Malevolent1

The Man of Steel movie will have little to no effect on Superman comic book sales, whether it's a hit or it tanks.

Superman has been around for 80 years now and has a well established, loyal following.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

@Gambit1024 said:

I was thinking the same thing. If they did not do with the Dark Knight they are not going to do it with the Man of Steel

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gambit1024

@haydenclaireheroes said:

@Gambit1024 said:

I was thinking the same thing. If they did not do with the Dark Knight they are not going to do it with the Man of Steel

And even if it does, it'll be in an elseworlds story anyway. Like Joker was.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.