Follow

Spike Spiegel

Character » Spike Spiegel appears in 12 issues.

Spike Spiegel is a bounty hunter, born on Mars, in the year 2071. Holding the traits of a 'Cowboy', Spike is a free-spirit man, who freely roams space with a crew of bounty hunters, on a ship called 'Bebop'. A risk-taker and daring person, he is a very sly and laid-back character. With his gun 'Jericho 941' and a high level of Jeet Kune Do training, Spike is known, throughout space, as one of the best bounty hunters.

Keanu Reeves = Spike Spiegel?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    Like Keanu, Spike too knows kung-fu
    Blue suit? Check.
    Blue suit? Check.
    I have to admit I have mixed feelings about this.  I love Cowboy Bebop.  I have stated that I wished there were more episodes.  You can sort of say that I could be getting my wish. 

It seems that Keanu Reeves is involved with a Cowboy Bebop movie.  It's his hopes to play Spike Spiegel.  The movie is in the hands of producer Erwin Stoff who has worked on a bunch of Keanu movies already.  He and Keanu are putting together an outline for 20th Century Fox.

Keanu recently spoke to MTV about the project.
    Reeves revealed that this outline for the flick is currently focusing on the origins of the fictional “Bebop” drug developed by the military, which provides its users with a brief surge of superhuman reflexes and awareness. “We’re taking the Red Eye [story], the beginning part of the series,” he explained, “and then we’ll deal with the end of the series. We’re trying to figure out [the time frame]. We’re looking at the story right now.”

Since the beloved 26-episode show (as well as the feature film) didn’t necessarily maintain a linear style of storytelling, Reeves said that somewhere between the Red Eye origins and the “Bebop” conclusion, they’ll be picking out various highlights for their own use.

“Yeah, it’s so episodic and so disconnected. We’re trying to figure out what pieces to put together to tell one story,” he explained. “Because it’s such a short form, to make a 2 hour version [will be tough]. And it’s got so much of an origin-story obligation; you’ve got to get people up to speed, but you don’t want to do much of that. There are a lot of things to take into consideration, but we think we can do something good.”

I know there are those that aren't too crazy about Keanu's acting style.  I'm not against him as an actor but if Cowboy Bebop is made into a live action movie, I want it done correctly.  Keanu does the star power that could lead the studio into giving a bigger budget.  Still, I'm a little afraid.

Could Keanu make a good Spike?  More importantly, who will they get to play Faye.  That's what I want to know!
    Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Precise

Again Keanu Reaves?... Sorry, I just don't like him for some reason.. always the same emotionless actor, he just doesn't do anything for me and it'll probably make the movie less enjoyable for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118
    deactivated-5f10a0c8ad118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Precise said:
    "Again Keanu Reaves?... Sorry, I just don't like him for some reason.. always the same emotionless actor, he just doesn't do anything for me and it'll probably make the movie less enjoyable for me."
    Same here.

Constantine was awful
    superpooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By superpooper

They really should get a new/up and coming actor to do this.  Not an older actor who is known for being stoic in nearly every movie besides his Bill and Ted movies.

Jake Malcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Jake Malcom

NOOOOOO

ABSOLUTLY NOT!!!

Keanu has gotten better but he has no emotion whatsoever which makes some of his parts awesome. And Spike is full with emotion both happyiness and sadness not just one side. SO FOR THE LOVE OF GOD NOOOOOO!!!

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By King_Saturn
    Naw... they better let Keanu Reeves sit this one out
    Braise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Braise

No, I don't think Keanu would play a good Spike. Spike is naturally witty, a smart-alec, and laid back; completely un-Reeves-like. He'd probably come off as stoic and detached. I'd much prefer Lee Pace (the Fall). Aside from his great performance, he's tall and lanky like Spike, is charismatic, and I could totally see him wearing that trench coat. All you'd need to do is fix up his hair, an bam! Spike Spiegel in the flesh.

Compare:
    http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsanime/bebop/cboy03.jpg
    http://www.parade.com/export/sites/default/images/-v2/celebrity/slideshows/lee-pace/lee-pace-1.jpg

All you'd have to do is fix Lee's hair.

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By geraldthesloth

woah

Lantern Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Lantern Prime
    G-Man said:
    "
    Blue suit? Check.
    Blue suit? Check.
    I have to admit I have mixed feelings about this.  I love Cowboy Bebop.  I have stated that I wished there were more episodes.  You can sort of say that I could be getting my wish. 

It seems that Keanu Reeves is involved with a Cowboy Bebop movie.  It's his hopes to play Spike Spiegel.  The movie is in the hands of producer Erwin Stoff who has worked on a bunch of Keanu movies already.  He and Keanu are putting together an outline for 20th Century Fox.

Keanu recently spoke to MTV about the project.
    Reeves revealed that this outline for the flick is currently focusing on the origins of the fictional “Bebop” drug developed by the military, which provides its users with a brief surge of superhuman reflexes and awareness. “We’re taking the Red Eye [story], the beginning part of the series,” he explained, “and then we’ll deal with the end of the series. We’re trying to figure out [the time frame]. We’re looking at the story right now.”

Since the beloved 26-episode show (as well as the feature film) didn’t necessarily maintain a linear style of storytelling, Reeves said that somewhere between the Red Eye origins and the “Bebop” conclusion, they’ll be picking out various highlights for their own use.

“Yeah, it’s so episodic and so disconnected. We’re trying to figure out what pieces to put together to tell one story,” he explained. “Because it’s such a short form, to make a 2 hour version [will be tough]. And it’s got so much of an origin-story obligation; you’ve got to get people up to speed, but you don’t want to do much of that. There are a lot of things to take into consideration, but we think we can do something good.”

I know there are those that aren't too crazy about Keanu's acting style.  I'm not against him as an actor but if Cowboy Bebop is made into a live action movie, I want it done correctly.  Keanu does the star power that could lead the studio into giving a bigger budget.  Still, I'm a little afraid.

Could Keanu make a good Spike?  More importantly, who will they get to play Faye.  That's what I want to know!"

I think so, he can make a real good Spike. Faye is what intersted in whos gonna play in it too.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By NightFang3

I would love to see a Cowboy Bebop movie but maybe they should let Keanu Reeves sit this one out.

Toastalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Toastalchemist

No, Reeves ruined Costantine and now he's after Cowboy Bebop?

Deo Wade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Deo Wade

A great and resounding NO. Spike is one of, if not, my favorite Anime Character of all time.  Keanu lacks the cool factor, appearance, physique, and ability to convey emotion in a monotone. Keanu's got the monotone down to a science, but he sucks at conveying anything other than his lack of acting skill. On top of that he couldn't pull of Spike's Jeet Kune Do even if he was taught by Bruce Lee himself. And that cookie cutter Joe Corley Kah-Rah-Tee that he did in the Matrix doesn't count. Bah...Hollywood needs to realize that everything isn't a potential cash cow just because it has a large fan base. All they end up doing is disappointing true fans at the expense of mass appeal.

SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By SevanGrim

as brilliant a mind as Reeves has, he can't seem to grasp his own suckness. He is made for certain roles, and thats it. He thinks he has the ability to range his characters like Downey Jr. and Pitt. But he cant. I wish  he could, because he has the basic look for most of the roles he wants to do, but its like the saying goes: "looks aren't everything".

ArtJoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By ArtJoker

NO

Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Gothic Storm

Alright, so everyone is saying no no no no blah blah blah. But, who WOULD make a good Spike? I can't wait to see who is cast as Ed! Jett Black and Faye Valentine will be easy casts. Perhaps Selma Hayek (spelling) for Faye? No matter who, she has to be cool and hot at the same time.

whoa.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.