Follow

Silver Surfer

Character » Silver Surfer appears in 2389 issues.

Norrin Radd of Zenn-La is the mighty herald of Galactus, the devourer of worlds. Gifted with the Power Cosmic and a trusty board that's faster than lightspeed, which he can summon at will whenever needed, Norrin Radd travels to distant reaches throughout the universe as the Silver Surfer.

Silver Surfer should have his own series

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Lvenger

I've already said that Captain Marvel needs his own series to star in and that DC need to rethink the current Marvel family status. But recently, after reading a few old Silver Surfer comics I have and seeing some images Morpheus has posted, I believe Silver Sufer most assuredly needs his own series. Currently, he is only used in big cosmic events such as Annihilation and the Thanos Imperitive and has turned up in the pages of Nova but he needs his own series. He's Marvel's eqivalent of Green Lantern and has the potential to attract more readers to Marvel's cosmic range of comics. Marvel Comics editor  Bill Rosemann has stated that he considers the Silver Surfer as "the last jewel in the cosmic crown that needs to explode," and that the trick with the Surfer, who he referred to as a "great character", was to figure out "What would make him work as an ongoing hero. We don't want to rush it." I say that there already is plenty to make an ongoing series out of the Silver Surfer. He is one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel Universe and faces universe shattering threats on a daily basis and vists far more planets than Hal Jordan goes to at the moment. I do prefer GL Hal to SS but the whole point of Green Lantern is that it is a sci fi opera, a mixture of Star Wars and the X Files. Last time I checked, Sector 2814 encompassed more than just Earth. Anyway, enough with the Lantern rant. Silver Surfer deserves his own series right now! So what do you think? Do you agree or disagree?

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    I'd want to see the Surfer getting his own series, and hopefully, through his appearance in the Thanos Imperative, that could be achieved, as his part is far more integral than it was in Annihilation (he had his own mini-series, but his role in the core event was minimal), with Abnett and Lanning handling the character very well so far, and that could help spark interest to the character in new readers.
    Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

If they do I'll buy multiple copies a month to make sure it keeps going.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Video_Martian

Silver Surfer SHOULD have his own series! Along with She-Hulk (of course), I miss their ongoings! =(

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By roadbuster

The name and the purity of the concept really hurts his contemporary appeal... the whole surfing thing makes him such a period character (not to mention the Silver Age-y fast-n-loose quasi-omnipotence) that's fallen out of fashion.  I believe the Ultimates version tried to dispense with the board and surfing for a pair of wings was it?  But because the concept is so pure you can't really mess with it in the way Iron Man, Batman, etc. can receive contemporary updates.  The only Silver Surfer has been interesting to me has been in The Defenders series played for laughs, his cross overs where he stands as a benchmark for testing terrestrial "omnipotence" (v. Cable, v. Sentry, v. Hulk, etc.), and in Requiem which was a concise and terminal character study. 

It's hard for contemporary audiences not raised under the gravity of the surfing fad and Surfer's debut to take a surfer seriously anymore than Skateman or Rocket Racer are today.  I dunno.  Marvel's book volume is astounding so it's not for a lack of ability... just want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

A cosmic series covering the Kree, Skrulls, Inhumand and Marvel Cosmic characters would make for an awesome monthly title.
    SilverMan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By SilverMan91
    @jloneblackheart said:
    "If they do I'll buy multiple copies a month to make sure it keeps going. "

hell ya
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a830f8074f3a
    deactivated-5a830f8074f3a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

it need to think a lots ,because some popular series like ghost rider,ms.marvel,moon knight already cancel now ,although monn knight have a new series vengeance of monn knight 
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Lvenger
    @mr.obvious:  Yeah I know what happened to that? The two are just benchwarmers when they have the potential to be more. 
    @Morpheus_:  I agree! Abnett and Lanning are among the best cosmic writers in the business. They'd make the Silver Surfer great again!
    sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By sexy_merc

I'd buy it for sure.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.