Follow

PUSH

Concept » PUSH appears in 6 issues.

A film set for release on February 6, 2009 starring Chris Evans, Dakota Fanning, Camilla Belle and Djimon Hounsou. Wildstorm published a prequel mini-series.

PUSH Movie Review

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    No Caption Provided
    When I first heard about PUSH, I wasn't sure what to expect.  The idea for the movie caught me off guard as I had only heard about it a couple months ago.  I had some high hopes for this in that it could help pave the way for more superhero-ish type movies that aren't necessarily tied to an existing comic book.  As the movie's release came closer, I started having some doubts.  I even decided not to see the movie the day it came out out of fear of being disappointed.

The biggest obstacle this movie will be facing is it almost seems too ambitious for its own good.  There are several different types of "powers" that individuals can have in this movie.  For a list of those powers and description, it may be easier to read the CONCEPT page for the movie.  It helps to understand some of what can be done. 

Watching this movie, you feel like you've been hit by a "Wiper," an individual that can temporarily or permanently wipe your memory.  There's almost a haze as you try to follow everything that is going on and has been going on.  We do get a little history lesson on the Division, the government group harvesting those with the special abilities for their own means (that information is also found on the concept page).

The premise of the movie involves a high ranking member of the Division, Agent Henry Carver (played by Djimon Hounsou) trying to retrieve a woman, Kira (played by Camilla Belle), who survived a test drug meant to augment her powers and escaped the facilities.  A young teen, Cassie (played by Dakota Fanning), who is a Watcher, seeks out Nick (Chris Evans) in Hong Kong to save the woman and find the drug that can take down the Division and also save Cassie's mother.  Nick, himself, escaped the Division's grasp ten years earlier after his father was killed. 

No Caption Provided
    My first question is why Hong Kong?  Maybe it was a place for Nick to hide and have his own life.  How Cassie manages to arrive in Hong Kong is not mentioned.  Conveniently during their quest, Nick happens to have lots of connections to other powered individuals (some former Division agents) that happen to be residing in Hong Kong as well.  It's clear that trying to run from a Watcher is a difficult thing, but you would think the characters might try to blend in.  Cassie's character has a rather...interesting choice of wardrobe.  I suppose if your mother is locked away in a secret government facility, there's no one there to advise you on fashion.

Another gripe is when two "Sniffers" arrive asking Nick questions in trying to find Kira.  A sniffer has the ability to read the history of an item, such as what went on around it, by...sniffing the object.  This isn't fully explained and could seem a little odd if you hadn't read the prequel comic book by Wildstorm.  These sniffers investigate without any back up.  You would think the Division would send more than just a couple of sniffers with guns.  Maybe sending just one sniffer along with someone that has more offensive and defensive powers would have been a better idea.

No Caption Provided
    The quality of the effects used in the movie varied.  When the "Bleeders" let out their brain-melting screams (which causes bleeding from your ears and nose), the results were pretty cool yet the actual screamers look a bit funny.  Imagine someone opening their mouth as wide as they can and just screaming.  When "Movers" use their telekinesis to move objects, it almost looks like said object is being lifted by an invisible string.  Perhaps the jerky movement was meant to illustrate that Nick wasn't a trained mover.  He does seem to learn rather quickly as the movie progresses.  When movers use their powers to block and deflect bullets, there is a cool ripple effect but sometimes it seems too animated. 

Surprisingly with all the powered characters in the movie, we don't see any Phasers, Shifters, Porters or Changers.  In the comic it's mentioned that some of those abilities are more rare so maybe that's the reason.  It could have helped to make things easier for Hounsou's character.  If this mission was so vital to the survival of the Division, you would think they would send in every trained agent they could to retrieve Belle and the drug.

No Caption Provided
    The filmmakers tried taking a stylized approach at times.  We get some different camera filters and an interesting use of music to try to enhance the movie.  I did not like the cheesey music when the start of a (toned down) love scene comes on. 

With all these gripes, it's still not a bad movie.  I was entertained for the most part.  There did seem to be too much going on even though the basic premise wasn't that complicated.  The concept of the "evil" government agency hunting down the oppressed lead characters isn't anything new.  The delivery was decent.  The effects were a little hit-or-miss at times but overall worked (seeing Chris Evans as a human pinball machine was fun).  I don't think we really needed the feelings of affection between two of the characters and the convenience of all the help Evans' character was able to get just felt too forced.  It's a good movie to pass the time as long as you don't have too high of expectations.  I applaud the filmmakers for taking a chance and trying to create a new universe of characters.  I would like to see more "new" ideas being made rather than Hollywood simply relying on the same old comic book franchises.

No Caption Provided
    I give the movie a 3 out of 5.  It could have been better.  The evil government agency was a little cliché.  The abundance of powers introduced (yet not all used) could be a little much for some.  It's not a bad movie but not one that you would need to run out and see right away.  It is worth seeing, perhaps as a rental.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By pixelized

I think i'll read the comic first and then pretend i watched the movie.

Those bleeders sound interesting though.

Avatar image for xxxextinctionxxx
    XXXExtinctionXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By XXXExtinctionXXX

From the previews is look more like Layla Miller meets Vulcan. The little girl looked like she was ripped out of Jamie's arms in the literal sense. Like Pixelized, I'll pretend to watch the movie. 

Tainted-Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Tainted-Cell

Probably my biggest qualm about what I've seen in trailers, etc.... is how conventional everything is made.
    "Mover", "Sniffer", "Watcher", "Wiper", "Bleeder".... just sounds so very banal. In reality, if anyone had any of those powers, even if there were hundreds of "movers"... society would not refer to them with such nonchalance. It would be much like the House of M... they'd be the world's celebrity figures. Or am I to understand that these are names given by The Division?

I do however hope just like you, G-Man, to see more of these style movies without the comic book basis dragging it down.

I'll see it as a rental. Chris Evans is fun to watch at times...

AnnetteKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By AnnetteKS

I was wondering if this was a pay to watch in theater movie or wait to watch it on dvd.  Now I know. Most of what I read in reviews have all been mixed.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By speedlgt

I thought this was a good film I went in with really low hopes so I guess that helped! they really could have just called this HEROES the MOVIE I mean its alot like heroes I mean ALOT but maybe a bit cooler and with less mystery OVERKILL that heroes is known for.

the bleeders were scary at first looking possessed by demons as they scream.
    if you didnt think telekinesis was a good power before his movie will change our mind
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Media_Master

I'll save my $ for something else

Avatar image for emerald_general_jai
    Emerald_General_Jai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

I thought it was a decent movie overall, i just had a problem with the idea of a boy whose spent the majority of his life on the run from a poweful agency (an lets face it, it's a secret part of the U.S. government, these mofo's got connections.) without the use of his power. He's the son of a poweful mover and is in effect...a b@*&$. Don'y get me wrong, the idea had some merit, but it didn't lent itself to the feeling of suspence the movie wanted to generate around their supposed deaths. At no point did myself, or my GF who knows less about comics than we do, doubt that he would gain full control of the enourmouse power his father gifted him with and save the day. I was pleasantly suprised when he used a tad bit of brainpower to do the same, the notes idea was pretty ingenious i'll give Nick that, but it would have seemed far more supsensful if he could Move w/o making himself look like an idiot. The idea, that the girls, the agents, the ex-agent, the triad, the baker, the shaker, and the candle-stick maker, all had more control of their powers than he did. It made him look redicilous. If he'd have managed to fight on an even playing feild, or even outfight a few of the times he was attacked...then i would really have wanted to know what the Division had up their sleeve that he was destined not only to loose..but to die. An honestly, with all the action the movie promised, we were both dissapointed with watching the main charachter spend over an hour getting his a$$ handed to him b4 he was in a position to do anything about it. An ok movie, that as far as i can tell, had only one GLARING flaw that could have made it much, much, better. Wanted only had 1 trick, we bend bullets dude. Jumper had the 1 trick, i can fricken teleport. An they were smart enough to let their mains use it like their was no fricken tomorrow, even if u didn't like em at least they gave u their money's worth on the main premise and promise of the movie right? Personally Push fell through on that, hopefully a re-watch will let me see it a lil diff, since i won't be looking for Nick to be the bada$$ his father was...but i doubt it. Though the movie did manage to pleasantly suprise me with it's plot twists, and they were numerous, and kept me guessing until the end. An i will have to give them that watching Nick's journey as he learns to weild his power in this dangerous situation is gratifying in it's own way, even if unsuspensful. Unlike Jumper, I have no problem with the idea of a sequal, lets see what happens when the Division and the Triads come for their revenge, or something along those lines, Nick keeps getting stronger as he did in this film, and he may be a force unto himself.   Lol, griping aside, i'ma still buy this bad-boy, just like ima buy Jumper. Once i can find it for 9-10 bucks at my local turnaround store ; )

Ashwreck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ashwreck

Anyone else giggle and think the bleeders MUST be played by women..

grimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By grimm

lmao

but i saw the movie and the bleeders freaked me out!!!! this guys eyes bug out and his face looks SOOOOO stupid. Oh and dakota Fanning gets drunk. ..which was pretty funny
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#10  Edited By gmanfromheck

The bleeders cracked me up.

Fanning getting drunk was interesting but did it actually help her?  And I would've thought she'd have a killer hangover in the morning but she seemed fine.

Elixir95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Elixir95

Dakota Fanning was awesome.  I liked her being all cryptic and creepy.  The drunk part was especially funny.  The end fight was awesome, but it needed something else.  I think we all knew what was going to happen.

Fanning drunk, LMAO.  That was awesome.  She's awesome.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.