Follow

Marvel

Publisher »

Formerly known by names including "Atlas" and "Timely", Marvel Entertainment is the publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the Avengers, the X-Men, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Captain America and Daredevil. Currently owned by the Walt Disney Company, Marvel is one of the "Big Two" comic publishers along with DC Comics.

Marvel rip offs of DC characters!

• 54 results
    Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Bezza

I know this subject has probably come up before, but until this week I never realised that Marvel's Deadpool, Wade Wilson, mercenary/assassin, was such a rip off of DCs Deathstroke, Slade Wilson, mercenary/assasin. Not to mention Sentry, the super-powered character with a big S on his front, who has the power of a thousand exploding suns or something. Just wondering how Marvel get away with it?! The irony is that Deadpool is a much popular character than Deathstroke, who pre-dated him by 11 years...

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By PeppeyHare

Deadpool is a parody of Deathstroke.

This thread isn't going to go well

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Marvel and DC have been ripping each other off since day one. What else is new?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#4 SC  Moderator

Well if deconstructions, homages, pastiche, parodies, and so on are all rip offs, then everything and every character is a rip off of George who was a character invented 21 thousand years ago by Gruu the Cave Man.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I could post picture there would be so many FACEPALM memes on this thread.

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AwesomePerson

We all know!!! Let it go!!!! I can give ypu an entire list of Marvel/DC ripofffs!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3255e75dae4
    deactivated-5e3255e75dae4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Oooo look whats new on the vine

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By green_skaar

For the record, Hyperion is the closest Superman rip-off in Marvel.

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JeanRalphio

DC rips off their own characters (i.e. Oliver Queen,Bruce Wayne).

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for pietromaximoffistheman
    PietroMaximoffIsTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They both do this. A lot of people forget Namor and Man-Thing came first.

Even then most Marvel and DC characters are inspired by characters from all fiction

Avatar image for hillbillymorangie
    HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best will always be what happened to Fawcett comics, they create a charecter near identical to Superman (known today as Shazam), this new charecter outsells superman so National Comics (now DC comics) sues them.

Fawcett decide to close down to settle the legal fees (But return later with Dennis which is weird for being a charecter that appears to be a rip off of the UK charecter Dennis the menace but is just a coincidence)

Then DC rent and later buy the rights to the charecter and has him share the same universe as Superman... It's truly bizarre, it would be like DC buying dead pool then having him exist in the same universe as Deathstroke... As Dennis the menace proves there are only so many ideas out there, no two charecters are identical and you can't copyright a super power only a heros name, ... But I see what you mean, what next... MCU rips of Foxs X-Men, pretty likely to be honest, Fox creates an xmen with the powers of a spider, why not?... In the end it's all good and similarities will only be contested if some lawyers are going to make money out of it... Or like DC comics if some other publisher starts stealing all your business and you have nothing to loose lol

Also the fact Heros like Wonder Woman are just combinations of myths and legends and Marvel even worse just steal directly with Thor and Hercules, there is little point pointing fingers as ideas are often based on what we know, few pop into existences from nowhere... It's not like you can simply produce new ones, say in some kind of factory... ;)

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I. THey (DC & Marvel) Have been stealing/borrowing/using eacH otHers $#!% for years.

II. AltHougH Wade is a "parody", DEADPOOL's x10's more unique, popular, pure awesomeness tHan Slade.

II. Superman "clones" can't be called clones anymore. Superman is tHe blueprint of a superHero. It is only natural for people to create Heroes like Supes.

-ABstract4$$#073-

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th: Id argue Namor was the first, but then that arguments been raging for years... Pants on the outside vs only pants ... The age old argument

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2010/07/22/comic-book-legends-revealed-270/

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@pietromaximoffistheman: actually both Man thing and Swamp thing are rip offs of the Heap which was just a play on common swamp monster stories any way

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
    youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well even Superman is a rip off of an even early character named Gladiator (not Marvel's one) So.....

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youmessinwithme: Omg, if your going to jump to novels then everything rips off Frankenstein, heck that's even probably based on works like Voltaires Micromégas, not sure of any other early sci fi, but I helped a friend do an article for her dissatation and it's amazing how much work was done in the 1700s I guess we can thank Newton for the lot and end it there ;)

Hehe

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
    youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By youmessinwithme

@youmessinwithme: Omg, if your going to jump to novels then everything rips off Frankenstein, heck that's even probably based on works like Voltaires Micromégas, not sure of any other early sci fi, but I helped a friend do an article for her dissatation and it's amazing how much work was done in the 1700s I guess we can thank Newton for the lot and end it there ;)

Hehe

well it was still a graphic novel....

and Frankenstein? no. How is Superman, or Batman, or Thor, iron man, spider-man etc. possibly based of Frankenstein?

The Hulk is Based of a combination of Frankenstein's monster and Doctor jekel and mister hyde. But Stan Lee admits to that.

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youmessinwithme: really? I get classic out of print books from here http://www.classicly.com/books/gladiator/download_in_format/pdf#page3 (Admin please delete if the site breaks copyright, I apologise) if the original novel was a graphic novel I very much will keep an eye out for it cheap online.

Frankenstein is the original sci fi novel, it is about creating something with science, it does not predate gods but it's very much the first super scientist and super human (monster depending on the point of view), but Micromegas had aliens traveling to earth long before Shelly penned the first novel, it's a wonderful short story about the different point of view aliens have and how they might view us, superman reminds me a lot of the micromegas charecter, maybe not in height but in difference to humanity... In my opinion anyway... I'd recommend both to anyone, but it's all up for debate...

Avatar image for terrybogard2014
    TerryBogard2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Not gonna use the gif cause its been used to death over the site but yeah.beating a dead horse

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Superman is obviously a rip-off of Gilgamesh.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 rogueshadow  Moderator

BEGONE!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'v never seen so many pepole use the term rip-off wrong than I do with comic fans.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kidchipotle

Another rip off topic, must be saturday.

I'v never seen so many people use the term rip-off wrong than I do with comic fans.

Thank you. This.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator
    Batmanx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Batmanx2005

Spoiler is kinda of knock off of moonknight

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By cameron83

I'v never seen so many pepole use the term rip-off wrong than I do with comic fans.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

What I would like is if either company could come up with a unique new character all their own. Now that would be impressive.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Spoiler is kinda of knock off of moonknight

No, she's not.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TazzMission

yep. even stan lee himself stated one of his guys played golf with a dude from dc and was told about jla wich stan got the idea for the fantastic 4.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_stegman  Moderator

I've never seen so many people use the term rip-off wrong than I do with comic fans.

Word

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jake_fury: you need to watch the UK tv series Misfits, now they are some original powers lol

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

DC does the same thing so dont just bash Marvel

Avatar image for pietromaximoffistheman
    PietroMaximoffIsTheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe: Which confirms my other statement.

It amazes me how many people are so quick to call a character a Marvel or DC rip-off when most of the characters are inspired from other characters.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

Well if deconstructions, homages, pastiche, parodies, and so on are all rip offs, then everything and every character is a rip off of George who was a character invented 21 thousand years ago by Gruu the Cave Man.

This.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@pietromaximoffistheman: Almost every fictional character that has been come up with in the past 500 years has been at least inspired by something that came before. For instance Joker was originally intended as a one issue throw away character that was pretty much a rip off of a character from a silent movie called The Man Who Laughed, Superman was originally pretty much just a scifi version of Moses with a bit of Hercules tossed in. Batman is basically a modern take on Zorro.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

comedy_brosUSA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man-Thing came before Swamp-Thing. so DC ripped of Marvel, but in most instances Marvel rips off DC. like Catwoman from DC being ripped off in Marvel as Black-Cat.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hillbillymorangie: Not arguing tHat Superman was tHe first. However, Superman is tHe blueprint of a generic Hero. THe traits are cape, logo on cHest, protects city, can easily travel tHrougH tHe city (fly), super powers, and Has a secret identity.

Namor may be first or wHoever it was but Supes is tHe blueprint.

June'sVeryOwn

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th: I agree that's what people think, I guess that's the beauty of 'ripping off' each other, it doesn't matter that Captain Marvel flew before Superman, his cape/logo on chest were stolen from superman,...

Superman is an amazing rip off of everyone, during his development if someone was doing something new, then NAP and later DC just gave superman those powers too, there are some very good papers on the development of superman...

I guess the question is, is it powers or the general look that there is an issue with being ripped off? If Marvels new Captain Marvel gets a cinema release, will she just be seen as a rip off of superman, can fly, super strong, super fast, fires energy... It is all in the eye of the beholder and who unfortunately when it comes to the cinema are the comic ignorant majority...

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By M3th

@hillbillymorangie: Good points. THanks for the lesson. I didn't know tHat about Superman.

-ABstract4$$#073-

HillbillyMorangie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th: I dunno, but my favorite is 1986s Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, which clearly rips off wolverine... But I guess it all depends on your point of view... I'm sure many would argue that Millers work while excellent isn't cannon (alternate universe) same can be said for any authors that gave Supes new powers for their runs alone.

Which adds an interesting point, if a writer creates a hero that can control gravity for Marvel then he moves to DC and creates a new but similar charecter, is he ripping off his original charecter? How much of a heros look / ability would you give credit to the writer / artist for and how much to the publishing house? It's all a messy minefield, probably why there are so few legal battles now... If only fox, Disney, Sony and Warner Bros would take notice.... Sigh

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of you are saying "i got a full list of ripofs...blah blah blah" go on, share that list.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can i still like both companies?

DarkseidFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel is sh*t

DaaB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe aquamam is a ripoff of Namor.

does it matter? as long as they create great stories.

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By DaymarePrime

There are so few original idea's left that it would be nigh impossible to find a character in any comic that does not emulate or resemble another characters traits or powers. Even if you gender swap them or give them a different ethnicity they will still be rooted in standard superhero tropes.The difference is how they are written and the direction they take the powers given.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.