Follow

Kylo Ren

Character » Kylo Ren appears in 67 issues.

The son of the smuggler Han Solo and Princess Leia Organa, Kylo Ren was powerful in the Force because of his Skywalker heritage. He was once named Ben Solo and he was a Jedi apprentice to Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, but he was drawn to the dark side of the Force after joining to the Knights of Ren and he became the Supreme Leader of the First Order after the death of Snoke.

Awesome Toy Picks: Kylo Ren Sixth Scale Figure from Hot Toys

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we take a close look at a comic collectible. That means taking it out of the package. Kylo Ren hasn't appeared in any comics so far but he is one of the main actors in Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens. There's a Kylo Ren sixth scale figure coming from Hot Toys and Sideshow Collectibles sent us ours early so we can check it out before it starts shipping.

Take a look at our unboxing video to see what's included and how it looks.

There is always a lot of detail with the Hot Toys figures. These are definitely for serious collectors. They pay close attention to making every stitch in the clothing and detail in accessories look as true to life as possible.

The figure comes with extra hands so you can mix up the way you put it on display. It comes with a pair of fists, relaxed palms, gesturing palms, and hands to hold the lightsaber. There is also an interchangeable arm holding the lightsaber. You can turn on the LED light inside to light up the lightsaber. The figure also includes a stand with Kylo Ren's name and the First Order symbol.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

There is a lot of articulation for different poses. If you just have the figure standing straight, it loses some of the "wow" factor. Putting it in different positions brings it to life.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

It's a little hard to see in the pictures but this lightsaber is the one that lights up with the LED light. You can see a better demonstration in the video. The switch is on his forearm under his sleeve. It looks pretty impressive when turned on. If you want, you can also remove the lightsaber pieces.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

There is a little wire in the hood so you can shape it to how it should look. This is great. Otherwise it'd just sit there and could look a little silly. He doesn't come with a second head or removable helmet. The detail in the helmet is cool with plenty of damage.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

If you swap out the arm with the lightsaber and LED light, you can put the lightsaber in his other hand or slide it onto his belt.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

If you're familiar with Hot Toys figures, you know what to expect. These are amazing collectibles but again, they're for the serious collector. You can pre-order it from Sideshow at the following link:

No Caption Provided

http://bit.ly/getkyloren

The price is $224.99. This is typical for these sixth scale figures. Plus you get the LED light in the second arm/lightsaber. There are some other figures from The Force Awakens available and more on the way as well.

No Caption Provided

Let us know what you think of this figure. Thanks to Sideshow Collectibles for the early look at it.

Lunarstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Reminds me of "Dawn of the Jedi" Force hound Xesh.

No Caption Provided

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He looks much cooler with his robe and cape. When he took all of that off he looked odd.

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's hard to get hyped up about Darth Emo. He was so weak.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank: He did take the blast from Chewbacca's suped up bowcaster as if it was nothing. The Stormtroopers Chewie shot at went flying. Kylo barely went down to his knee.

Ethan_Ricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I would get this right now if you could remove his helmet. I want my own mini Adam Driver!

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope he isn't a wuss in the next 2 films...

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ethan_ricks: I'm betting they'll have another version with an interchangeable head. But who knows.

DamoMinimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DamoMinimus

I loved him in the film but, yeah, keep the helmet on!

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

At least, you don't have to take his mask off.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved Kylo, he was everything Anakin should have been in ep III. I didn't see him solely as winey/annoying but more so conflicted.

How did Hot Toys get these out so fast and yet I still won't have my Ultron figure for another month or two?

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would not want a toy of a character that got beaten by someone who does not know jack about a lightsaber and the force.

KingKaijuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edblank: Him being weak was so important to his character though. He's more of a 3-dimensional villain with his own inner conflicts and room to grow into something darker(or lighter). Rather than the cookie cutter evil villain who's character has already peaked.

micangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish it had an unmasked head as well. I mean, he's got the best hair ever!

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@edblank: Him being weak was so important to his character though. He's more of a 3-dimensional villain with his own inner conflicts and room to grow into something darker(or lighter). Rather than the cookie cutter evil villain who's character has already peaked.

I totally agree with what you wrote. Another uber bad azz Sith in a mask is not that interesting. I do like what they did with the tantrums and the fact that he looked like a Jonas brother without the mask..

This toy is just looking all kinds of vicious and I say to it's picture "man you ain't about that life".

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hot Toys may be one of the first action figure lines where collectors take subtantial losses on their products in the future. The cost is so high and the resell market so competitive, it would shock me to see anyone actually making any real money on these items in the future. I could actually see collectors liquidating them in a few years.

For the price of a single $300 Hot Toy you could get probably 20 regular $15 figurines of Kylo Ren. Lets say you make 50% on your Hot Toy (a pretty solid margin for a resell collector) you just profited $150 bucks. You would get the same on the figurines at 50%.

The difference is it is very unlikely to find someone looking to drop nearly $500 on a Kylo Ren figure they plan to open or keep. Whereas finding people to buy your $22.50 version should be easy.

It is just so cost-prohibitive for anyone but the most hardcore collectors. And even then if I was paying that much I would go for an artist commission or high-end scultpure or something more likely to retain value than a toy.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@overmonitor: They already are a niche product for a niche market, so these seem moreso designed for uber fans than for profit-making activities. Do you think it could be said that Hot Toys collectibles can be viewed moreso as items for creators to hold onto than for re-sale value?

And a savvy collector would have to invest more effort to increase the value of these. Going to conventions and getting the figures signed, and similar activity could probably increase the value of an individual figure, right?

Overmonitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Overmonitor

@phoenixofthetides: yeah, but many people buy them with the intent of reselling for a profit once they get over the novelty of the item. I found whole forums dedicated to it.

Apparently the Blade and Wolverine "Mint-in-Box" are worth a ton to people still but since Hot Toys has gained so much ground in popularity they overproduce now and it's hard to get any real profit margin for the newer figures.

Who would sign the Hulkbuster though? Or the ones who haven't been in movies? Maybe creators? But who created the Hulkbuster armor?

That strategy could add value to some of them but you would have to get a universally popular signature like Stan Lee on a Marvel figure or something

I am a professional inventory manager and I would be hard-pressed to carry those new at any retail store. Granted, they probably wholesale for $200 or something and you make a little bit per unit, but it isn't worth the overhead investment for most owners. Premium items are never going to drive the majority of your business sales but they can easily make up a majority of your overhead. I would special order them for customers as they wanted them or something along those lines.

I could see a comic store buying used Hot Toys on the cheap and reselling for a decent profit though.

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Love Kylo Ren. To me, he's Anakin done right. He's such a bad-butt and I love him! I think some people hate him because of his semblance to Anakin. He's both Vader and Anakin, way better than Anakin but just not as good as Vader.

Wanna cosplay as him one day

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.