no_name_'s Girl Comics #2 - Dogged Pursuit; Good To Be Lucky; Doom ♥'s Sue; Do You Ever?; Rondeau review

Not just for girls!

The second issue of Girl Comics published y Marvel features many prominent Marvel characters (not only the Marvel women), but is a volume created entirely by women in the comic book industry.

The Good

When the first issue of Girl Comics was released well over a month ago I remember wanting to read it really badly. For whatever reason, (be they time constraints or what have you,) I never got around to it. So before I start my review of the second issue, I want to give a nod to the first issue which featured the fantastic cover art by Amanda Conner that depicted an arm wrestling match between She-Hulk and Tony Stark. Onto the second issue!

The comic is split into five separate parts, and contain five individual stories by five different creative teams starring characters from all over the Marvel Universe. The stories therein are essentially "shorts" and basically exist outside of continuity. I think the idea of having a book like this that features so many different characters and utilizes them in these humorous and clever short stories can be a lot of fun, and is executed really well. Girl Comics has a definite charm and is distinctly driven by feminism in the way that the characters are written, the dialogue between them, as well as the artistic portrayal of the characters. However, just because it is executed in a distinctly female perspective, does not mean that this comic is just for girls. In fact, I absolutely recommend it to boys! You may not find the intense action packed sequences like in the latest Avengers issue, but I guarantee that you will laugh. "Do You Ever" by Faith Erin Hicks explains the main difference between adolescent boys and girls brilliantly in a sweet, humorous, "day in the life of a girl superhero" kind of a way. My favorite story, however, is also the most serious in this issue. "Rondeau," written by Christine Boylan and penciled by Cynthia Martin features a fantastic dialogue between Doctor Stephen Strange and Adria. The best part about this story was the way that Boylan handled the sexual tension between the two characters. It is evident, but still so subtly and eloquently relayed through the art.

The Bad

Let's face it, is $4.99 really worth is for a bunch of short stories that exist outside of continuity? I really want to say yes, but part of me feels this issue is a bit overpriced. I honestly could have done without the historical tidbits in the issue, and would have liked to see a heavier focus on the actual content and stories. The great thing about this comic is that you are likely to go back and re-read it when you are bored. You don't need four previous issues to understand what is going on- the issue stands on it's own as a solid comic. However, I think at most it should be $3.99. The content doesn't justify the price tag.

The Verdict - 4/5

Overall, it is a really fun read.This series proves that women can write comics, and when they get together to do just that, they create some really awesome stuff. It is great to have a comic outside of continuity that you can pick up for entertainment at any time and really enjoy reading. While Girl Comics are written by girls, it doesn't mean they were created specifically for girls. Don't let the title fool you.
Posted by MadripoorEconomy

I actually really dug the historical bits - I don't think any of the information they included was anything that one could "easily" and readily find on the 'Net (I'm sure it's out there but you'd have to dig).  I'm a guy who really liked this comic.  Might even shell out another $4.99(!) for the last issue.

Other reviews for Girl Comics #2 - Dogged Pursuit; Good To Be Lucky; Doom ♥'s Sue; Do You Ever?; Rondeau

Okay But Nothing Major 0

I feel like this comic should be longer than it is.  I feel like there should be more stories in it.  Hell, I’m being charged $5 goddamn dollars for it, I might as well get some more stories.  Plus, what’s up with the shipping delay? Alright, refocus on what’s actually here in the comic.  Unfortunately, it was hit and miss.  I enjoyed the intro again even if it felt like I was rereading the intro from before (I really liked the variation of She-Hulk’s costume).  The Inhumans was kinda ble...