Follow

Gambit

Character » Gambit appears in 4687 issues.

A charming master thief and skilled martial artist who became a member of the X-Men, Gambit possesses the mutant ability to change potential energy in inanimate objects into kinetic energy which causes them to explode. His signature move is throwing kinetically-charged playing cards at his opponents.

More Gambit as Death please

devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By devilmanex

Do you think Gambit should be able to turn his Horseman of Apocalypse Death mode on and off like Angel/Archangel?  or would it be beating a dead horse since the ability seems pretty unique to Warren?  After reading the Xmen Hellbound mini and seeing him turn to Death in Limbo I think it's something the X writers should consider.  His Death mode seemed super strong and he could turn people evil but it also radically altered his personality.  I think it'd be awesome if they permanently added that element to Gambit in future books.  Opinions?

No Caption Provided

Death Gambit
    Death Gambit
    Retro_Metro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Retro_Metro

Like a transformation that can only be activated at certain times? If I was him,I would  only need to use it in situational purposes.

devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By devilmanex
    @Retro_Metro:   I think they should use it when the situation is dire, like when avengers need to call on the Hulk
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By IrishX

Although I do like it for Angel (because well he needs it to be cooler and more powerful) it is not needed for Gambit in my opinion. So I vote No.

devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By devilmanex
    @IrishX:   yea thats basically the only reason why I question it myself because its kind of Angel's 'thing' to hop into Archeangel for X force but stay Angel for X men.  It would be biting his style....although the transformation for Gambit drastically alters his persona
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By The_Martian

I'm not a fan of Gambit as a horsemen personally.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IrishX
    @DevilmanEX said:
    " @IrishX:   yea thats basically the only reason why I question it myself because its kind of Angel's 'thing' to hop into Archeangel for X force but stay Angel for X men.  It would be biting his style....although the transformation for Gambit drastically alters his persona "

Yeah don't get me wrong Gambit is badass that way I just think he's awesome enough just the way he is.
    devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By devilmanex
    @Nobody:  Thank you my friend for the quest points.  Why don't you like Gambit as a horseman?

@IrishX said:
    " @DevilmanEX said:
    " @IrishX:   yea thats basically the only reason why I question it myself because its kind of Angel's 'thing' to hop into Archeangel for X force but stay Angel for X men.  It would be biting his style....although the transformation for Gambit drastically alters his persona "
    Yeah don't get me wrong Gambit is badass that way I just think he's awesome enough just the way he is. "

I agree, I just think the black skin and white hair look uber menacing
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Martian

It just seems very anime-y for character's to transform.

devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By devilmanex
    @Nobody:   Thats what I was thinking too.  One character in Xmen doing it should be enough but once you have everyone transforming its definitely anime-esque
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Martian

I don't even like that Angel does it. I wish they would just choose one or the other.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By IrishX
    @Nobody said:
    "I don't even like that Angel does it. I wish they would just choose one or the other. "

It really should be Archangel then.
    devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By devilmanex
    @IrishX said:
    " @Nobody said:
    "I don't even like that Angel does it. I wish they would just choose one or the other. "
    It really should be Archangel then. "
    If I had to choose then I'd agree on Archangel but I do like how one persona is in one book then the other is a murderous assassin in another
    Avatar image for journey_into_chaos
    Journey Into Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@IrishX said:
    "

Although I do like it for Angel (because well he needs it to be cooler and more powerful) it is not needed for Gambit in my opinion. So I vote No.

"
    I completely agree with you. So my vote is also No.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#16  Edited By xerox_kitty

No, not on & off as he chooses.  The point is it's something that he can't control.  For Archangel, he's been through several transformations.  Therefore the ability to switch back & forth as desired is a new twist to his character. 

But for Gambit... he's struggling to understand it while keeping it secret.  I'm more interested to see how Mike Carey tells this story & what the end results will be.
    daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By daak1212

Angel kinda needs it.  He's there air support in a non combat role.  If it does ever get to hot for angel (He's really useless in combat no matter what you say) Archangel is there who has power.  Gambit on the other hand kinda dosent need it.  I can see why someone would like to see it because most of the time Gambit seems like a mid tier to upper street levelr.  I mean Gambit's powers could make him a city buster but he rarely ever uses his powers effectivly.  Gambit with a gun is highly lethal I mean think about him charging his bullets, but no we get PG rated Gambit who only throws explosive cards which the actualy force of those cards are debatable.  I think Gambit could use a power boost so I guess I am in favor of the death Idea. 

P.S  Did Gambit just charge his staff?  OMG when that explodes that is gonna be a city destroyer.  Adamantium+Force enough to make it explode = Shit! 

Edit:  Actually no I lie, Gambit dosent need the ability to transform into his Death persona he just needs a power boost.
    IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By IrishX
    @daak1212 said:

"  Edit:  Actually no I lie, Gambit dosent need the ability to transform into his Death persona he just needs a power boost. "

Well when his power isn't in check he can charge organic or non-organic matter from sight. That makes him very powerful.
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By Gambit1024

Death Gambit was cool, but I wouldn't want one of those "will transformations" like Angel has (works better for him imo) 

I agree that he needs a power boost tho. 

Jubilantlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jubilantlad
    @DevilmanEX: I'd love to see him be able to switch to and from his Death persona freely, like Angel. It'd be helpful seeing as Uncanny X-Force will be facing Apocolypse soon anyway.
    HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HellionVulcan

I like both his persona's but death is meant to be really powerful & changes the way Remy is but at will transformation would be cool but pretty unnecessary .

stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By stumpy49er

I like it for Angel, but that's cuz I really like Archangel. When I first got into comics, Angel was Archangel. Plus like a lot of people already said, Angel kind of needs it.
    I never liked Gambit as Death, but I love the idea of Death Gambit being exorcised from Gambit and becoming his own character, a villain for Gambit to fight. 
    Maybe like Venom, Death Gambit could merge with another character who hates Gambit. Death Gambit's spirit/energy state could go into Julien Boudreaux's grave and they could merge, becoming a major villain for Remy. Just an idea!

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By jrock85
    @stumpy49er
    The Death thing should have never happened to begin with (**** you, Peter Milligan). The fact that Carey brought it back and has left it dangling for nearly two years has ruined what little chance it did have of being interesting and in IMO, its become a cancer to the character. As someone said earlier, Gambit needs to be using his powers in more creative ways because they're too complex for him to just throw exploding cards (see New Son). Unfortunately, this is unlikely to happen any time soon if ever because Gambit is one of the many X-Men who have been afflicted with what I like to call "arrested character development" because the X-Office only wants to progress a select few characters.

Also, I do like your idea of the Death entity separating from Gambit and bonding with one of his enemies, but I'd be happy with never seeing "Deathbit" again.
    stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By stumpy49er
    @jrock85: I'm starting to respect your reasons for not liking Carey. I think I just liked him because he actually writes Gambit. I thought it was Fraction who brought 'Deathbit' back. For the record, if ever there was an X writer that I've hated, it'd be Fraction.
    Also, I do feel like Carey is using his powers in creative ways, such as using the Gambit rifle.
    I don't like the New Sun super powers Gambit either. Too powerful. I like my heroes having a little underdog status.
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jrock85
    @stumpy49er said:
    @jrock85: I'm starting to respect your reasons for not liking Carey. I think I just liked him because he actually writes Gambit. I thought it was Fraction who brought 'Deathbit' back. For the record, if ever there was an X writer that I've hated, it'd be Fraction. Also, I do feel like Carey is using his powers in creative ways, such as using the Gambit rifle. I don't like the New Sun super powers Gambit either. Too powerful. I like my heroes having a little underdog status.
    Honestly, I don't dislike Carey nor do I think he's a bad writer. There are times when he writes Gambit well, like during certain parts of Messiah Complex and the X-Men Origins: Gambit one-shot; but the bad far outweighs the good. As far as the gun? It worked in AOX because he was they were in the midst of a war, but its not the ideal weapon for a stealthy thief.
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jrock85
    @xerox_kitty said:
    No, not on & off as he chooses.  The point is it's something that he can't control.  For Archangel, he's been through several transformations.  Therefore the ability to switch back & forth as desired is a new twist to his character.  But for Gambit... he's struggling to understand it while keeping it secret.  I'm more interested to see how Mike Carey tells this story & what the end results will be.
    It doesn't look like Carey will be resolving this plot line. According to Remender, Warren's ascension makes Gambit's Death persona moot. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.