Power Upgrade for Cyclops

• 61 results
ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The first xman is the only one of the original 5 to not receive a secondary mutation or enhancing. Of course what he really brings to the table is his leadership and amazing tactics. Not to mention his spatial awareness. But here is my idea on a way to give this key character an improvement for when he fights alone and make the fights more flashy.

I think cyclops should give of immense energy not forward out of his eyes but into his body when he wants to, surrounding himself in this energy. His visor will give off a visual of immense energy while doing this. While doing this he can fly but his optic blasts are at a reduced output. ( he won't be super speed )

This will give cyclops a defensive and mobility increase since his mutation is purely offensive In comparison with almost all superheroes/ villains and most mutants who can use their abilities in many ways.

So what do u think.?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

That would be kinda cool. Reading your description made me think of him possibly having a energy force field as something pretty cool. Im not sure about the flying thing. In all honesty I'd like to see Cyclops just have control over his powers so that he doesnt always have to have the ruby quartz visor or shades.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#

@hawk2916 said:

That would be kinda cool. Reading your description made me think of him possibly having a energy force field as something pretty cool. Im not sure about the flying thing. In all honesty I'd like to see Cyclops just have control over his powers so that he doesnt always have to have the ruby quartz visor or shades.

Me too. Its about Fr$%^&$% time. Eyes/shades like wonderman that why you never see them together, you would get confused...

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think cyclops needs an upgrade, they've nerfed him in damn near every fight he's ever had.

I'd settle for him having control of his optic blasts but needing his visor to regulate his beams, that way he can keep his iconic look but losing his visor is no longer a detriment.

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that Cyclops was the only member of the original X-Men to never have an upgrade or secondary mutation is one of the many reasons he is the man. Actually his blast has kind of upgraded in power over the years

@hawk2916 said:

so that he doesnt always have to have the ruby quartz visor or shades.

Then he wouldn't really be Cyclops anymore, would he?? He could be called "laser-face"

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916 said:

Then he wouldn't really be Cyclops anymore, would he?? He could be called "laser-face"

lol

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

He just had a massive power upgrade....

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

why does everyone want characters to gain or lose power?

do people only like characters if they're a certain amount of powerful? -.-

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ChildoftheAtom

@fallschirmjager: that's a good point I guess the best way to improve him is better writing. Still... Massive amounts of energy around him does sound cool does it not? And sometimes change is good but u make a wise point.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By HAWK2916

@emequious_swerve: funny. Of course I'd be cool with him just being Scott Summers. I mean he was without his visor during Asgardian Wars and he was still Cyclops. Storm was depowered but still she was Storm...so yeah... he could still be Cyclops if thats what people want, but just Scott would be cool too since that seems to be what most of the characters refer to him as anyway

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ChildoftheAtom

@emequious_swerve: said Then he wouldn't really be Cyclops anymore, would he?? He could be called "laser-face"

Well what if he was like storm when he gets ready to use his powers or shortly after using them the energy flares out of his eyes. Not blasting but the optic blast is ready. Visually this could look like one "eye" so he can keep the awesome name of cyclops

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

yeah then he lost it, and now his powers are broken

The first xman is the only one of the original 5 to not receive a secondary mutation or enhancing. Of course what he really brings to the table is his leadership and amazing tactics. Not to mention his spatial awareness. But here is my idea on a way to give this key character an improvement for when he fights alone and make the fights more flashy.

I think cyclops should give of immense energy not forward out of his eyes but into his body when he wants to, surrounding himself in this energy. His visor will give off a visual of immense energy while doing this. While doing this he can fly but his optic blasts are at a reduced output. ( he won't be super speed )

This will give cyclops a defensive and mobility increase since his mutation is purely offensive In comparison with almost all superheroes/ villains and most mutants who can use their abilities in many ways.

So what do u think.?

sounds like ultimate cyclops when he had that banshee drug upgrade

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Teerack

@w0nd said:

@teerack said:

I wasn't talking about the Phoenix I was talking about what they currently are. His 'broken' powers are a huge upgrade. He hasn't mastered them yet but he is able to move and bend his beams now. Before his powers broke he also was holding back the majority of his powers out of subconscious fear, but it seems like he's no longer able to hold them back consciously or subconsciously so his eye beams are a lot stronger. Right now he's going through a rough patch but I'm sure once he master his new beams hill be more powerful than ever.

The only thing I really want to see is Scott fully master his powers maybe as a side effect of having had the Phoenix in him. Considering he was able to heal when he had the Phoenix, and he made it so he was able to hold back his eye beams when he was Phoenix it's likely the part of his brain dedicated to controlling his powers that was brain damaged is now actually restored and his 'broken' powers are just him not being used to actually being able to control his powers.

Meaning that if he can master his new beams he might be able to remove his glasses and look people in the eye.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@hawk2916 said:

lol

Maybe he can lose an eye.

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make him an Omega-level mutant like his brother Gabriel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f
deactivated-5baa5ef93cf0f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Cyclops is plenty powerful already. His power levels before AvX were insane, and they could potentially be even more powerful now based off a few fights in Uncanny X-Men. I do agree though that it would be nice if he could completely control his powers.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By darthphoenix

i thin jean had the most massive power upgrade. it wouldnt hurt for scott to have another power aside from his optic blast. Invulnerability or flight would be awesome

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

He just had his powers realigned so they're more unpredictable yet more powerful. I think target-seeking lasers are a pretty clear upgrade.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By adamTRMM

AVX already showed us that his visor is not going anywhere. One more thing, the power upgrades are always cool as for me, BUT what actually makes Cycolps special is his 'flawed yet powerful if used right' powerset and even more than that, his leaderahip skills and personality. That's the iconic part of his character. I think the best upgrade for him would be just to have even more powerful eye-beams and maybe control over their navigation.

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Scott needs an upgrade. He's a glass canon, meaning he packs a huge offensive power but he's susceptible to damage himself. On the other end you have mutants like Colossus who can really take a beating but who's offensive ability aren't a whole lot. The point being to make a good team (the premise of the x-men) is that they aren't a bunch of loners and work together and I think the storytelling works best that way. In that spirit, no power upgrade is needed for Scott, he's a leader and tactician and needs a team with him for the tough stuff.

Can we please get more team / working together for all the x-men? (especially the movies)

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

He doesn't need an upgrade

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

My feelings as well. He is powerful as it is and his leadership, strategic, and a tactical abilities are really what makes him interesting, though I don't follow the character.

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By bigtewell

well since he draws in power from the sun maybe he could use that to heal? not like wolverine healing but to keep him going in a tough fight. cyclops tho is one of the toughest mofos in comics. he doesnt get enough credit i mean hes arguably the best leader (his only real competition being cap) hes a great hand to hand fighter hes a great tactician and hes one of the best marksmen. he doesnt need a power boost he just needs to stop being nerfed by bad writing

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I know a lil' Canadian fella who can help with that.

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I don't think any character really ever needs a power upgrade, but especially Cyclops.

That his powers are something that he's had to train to control, and to use sparingly, is a big part of why he has so much skill as a tactician and combat expert. Giving Cyclops a power upgrade is like giving Batman actual superpowers: unnecessary and besides the point.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what do u think.?

He's one of the few X-men that doesn't need a power upgrade. I haven't read Uncanny in a while, but he maxed out on Dormammu and made him squeal like a teenage girl for a few moments. Dormammu! You know, that insanely powerful being?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@irishx said:

@joshmightbe said:

I know a lil' Canadian fella who can help with that.

Its Puck right?

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe said:

@hopesummersforthefuture said:

@hawk2916 said:

lol

nah then he would be like AoA cyclops

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i thin jean had the most massive power upgrade. it wouldnt hurt for scott to have another power aside from his optic blast. Invulnerability or flight would be awesome

He already has flight are we forgetting about this:

No Caption Provided

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By w0nd

@teerack said:

@w0nd said:

@teerack said:

I wasn't talking about the Phoenix I was talking about what they currently are. His 'broken' powers are a huge upgrade. He hasn't mastered them yet but he is able to move and bend his beams now. Before his powers broke he also was holding back the majority of his powers out of subconscious fear, but it seems like he's no longer able to hold them back consciously or subconsciously so his eye beams are a lot stronger. Right now he's going through a rough patch but I'm sure once he master his new beams hill be more powerful than ever.

The only thing I really want to see is Scott fully master his powers maybe as a side effect of having had the Phoenix in him. Considering he was able to heal when he had the Phoenix, and he made it so he was able to hold back his eye beams when he was Phoenix it's likely the part of his brain dedicated to controlling his powers that was brain damaged is now actually restored and his 'broken' powers are just him not being used to actually being able to control his powers.

Meaning that if he can master his new beams he might be able to remove his glasses and look people in the eye.

that new issue of wolverine suggested his bendy beam replaced his wide power blast. As a result it took longer for him to destroy sentinel's then it normally would. Or they just don't come out at all. Same thing happened when he teamed up with cap. His go to power wide beam is no more.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#31 god_spawn  Moderator

@w0nd: What issue of Wolverine?

numi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigtewell:

well since he draws in power from the sun maybe he could use that to heal? not like wolverine healing but to keep him going in a tough fight. cyclops tho is one of the toughest mofos in comics. he doesnt get enough credit i mean hes arguably the best leader (his only real competition being cap) hes a great hand to hand fighter hes a great tactician and hes one of the best marksmen. he doesnt need a power boost he just needs to stop being nerfed by bad writing

Draws in power from the sun?? Where do you get that? Last I knew, it's an extra-dimension draw of pure force and has nothing to do with the sun.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By w0nd

@god_spawn said:

@w0nd: What issue of Wolverine?

No Caption Provided

Wolverine and X-Men #39 on a side note i google "cyclops powers solar energy related" second response in wa s"@god_spawn Get your ass in here." from a year ago.... LOL you seem to be the master of cyclops

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why does everyone want characters to gain or lose power?

do people only like characters if they're a certain amount of powerful? -.-

Probably to keep them up with the others they keep tweaking

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@w0nd: I might have to check out WatXM then to get better context. The scan itself seems to give the gist, but I like my info in hand. My gripe would be that it is Cyclops written by Jason Aaron, and anytime I have seen Aaron write something that gives Cyclops the limelight for a moment, I have generally hated. I don't think he knows how to write the character. I would personally take what Aaron did with a grain of salt just because of that basis of how he writes him.

With that said, I do agree Cyclops hasn't been doing many wide beams lately, but his regular blasts seem much larger and of course there are the spirals that branch out. Originally his new blast was all or nothing which I will get to later. I do think he has been getting more control of it as of late since Bendis has allowed him to shoot smaller beams now and he isn't getting as tired or just straight nuking everything. To kind of counter what Aaron said, Bendis, who is the main writer of how Cyclops' powers work, did have him do this in the first issue of Battle of the Atom. And Kitty right after it did say she never knew he could open his eyes that wide.

No Caption Provided

And of course in the very first issue of UXM, Cyclops did do this.

And there was also that huge building sized blast he did in UXM 10 I believe when he got super pissed at the Blockbuster sentinel when he tried to protect that woman.

TL;DR Aaron is bullsh*tting. His nerfed and out of character Cyclops so Wolverine can shine has gotten old. I would tend to follow the consistency under his main writer at time which would be Bendis.

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: so an extra power is unneeded since he I dangerous enough as it is. But what if he could almost completely control his power and was like storm when her eyes turn white when she controls her power when he gets ready to use his powers or shortly after using them the energy flares out of his eyes. Not blasting but the optic blast is ready. Visually this could look like one "eye" so he can keep the awesome name of cyclops. Or do u like the visor and no control

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@childoftheatom: An extra power is unneeded. He's already shown versatile styles with is blasts, ranging from ridiculous bank shots, extremely wide blasts, or pencil thin shots. And we have already seen Scott gain full control of his blasts under Whedon's pen. It was nice and incredibly well done, but ditching the visor altogether is too much. It's too iconic for the character. He's fine the way he is.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

@teerack said:

@w0nd said:

@teerack said:

that new issue of wolverine suggested his bendy beam replaced his wide power blast. As a result it took longer for him to destroy sentinel's then it normally would. Or they just don't come out at all. Same thing happened when he teamed up with cap. His go to power wide beam is no more.

Yeah.... EXACTLY like I said... he hasn't leaned how to use his powers yet. The one time it worked he was able to take out all of the Sentinels in area in one shot.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As mentioned by others in this thread, i do believe his powers have been altered. So far in the comics, they are referred to as "broken". But i think it could be a case where he could possibly have more manipulation of how the energy beams work and now he has to re-learn how these enhanced/secondary mutation functions. it seems to me as well that his blasts are no longer restricted to straight lines. Maybe more along the lines of a more organic version of Darkseid's Omega Beams. I'm not sure about flying and using energy in that way. Cyclops' powers should still manifest themselves through the eyes. Perhaps instead of just a concussive force beam he can blast different forms of energy? heat perhaps? radioactive? his powers will not only be energy projection, but the manipulation of the kind of energy as well.

i actually would like to see a version of Cyclops without having to use his visor. But perhaps for more accurate "manual" control he can use the visor to have better control of the beams themselves. But day to day he could have glowing red iris rather than full red eyes like Wonder man. its about time he learnt to turn them on or off on his own (like in Whedon's Astonishing X-Men) but more fine tuned control of the actual blast themselves, maybe a visor will help since it is kinda his signature look.

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still can't believe cap was able to deflect the dark phoenix powered optic blast of scott in avx. he should have been reduced to ashes

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with the crowd that says give him full control of his optic blasts
Also I'm with everyone else that says he doesn't need a power upgrade.
He's a team leader, tactical genius and he has nuclear bombs that he can drop from his eyes
But being a glass canon, he can use a shield.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, full control of his optic blasts and he'll be fine.

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

don't ask me why but I always assumed he would eventually gain telepathy due to him being so close with the Prof, Jean and Emma. it always seemed like a natural progression to me

AROSS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kid_apollo: or probably precognition or sonar sense. Well with his powers also comes another package. Night Vision which should've made to the comics a long time ago. Given his powers always emit from his eyes and stopped by his glasses and visor, it should give him natural night vision.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm said:

AVX already showed us that his visor is not going anywhere. One more thing, the power upgrades are always cool as for me, BUT what actually makes Cycolps special is his 'flawed yet powerful if used right' powerset and even more than that, his leaderahip skills and personality. That's the iconic part of his character. I think the best upgrade for him would be just to have even more powerful eye-beams and maybe control over their navigation.

Pal, it's been 6 years and you are still on point.

#stayawesome

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: Gotta agree that dude had a point.

slimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if Cyclops does get a power upgrade or adjustment, it shouldn't be anything too convoluted. More isn't always better. Look at Wolverine's "hot claws". Those seem to have been dropped rather unceremoniously. Or at least not bothered with at all since being introduced.

I do hope Marvel would be definitive in their explanation of his powers though. Are they solar powered? Powered by ambient energy? Or are his eyes merely portals for the "punch dimension"? IMO the punch dimension is needlessly silly. Plus it contradicts those story moments where he was left "spent" by exerting too much optic blast force.

Also, they should just take Whedon's lead and make the lack of control over his powers a psychological issue. With powered healers and resurrections, there shouldn't be any reason why physical damage to his brain will still be an issue. But if the issue is tied to what makes him who he is. The need for control. A distinct part of his personality. That i can get behind.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 god_spawn  Moderator

@slimlim:

I do hope Marvel would be definitive in their explanation of his powers though. Are they solar powered? Powered by ambient energy? Or are his eyes merely portals for the "punch dimension"? IMO the punch dimension is needlessly silly. Plus it contradicts those story moments where he was left "spent" by exerting too much optic blast force.

It's both. I'm pretty sure the last batches of handbooks over the last 20-ish years have said the portals are fueled by sunlight and the energy is from the punch dimension. And I don't think it makes the dimension idea really silly. It adds a bit of uniqueness to him vs being a standard energy bearer, but he can still regulate the intensity and control of his blasts, visor or not, and that is still exertion on his part, most likely coming from the psionic field, and that's why he gets spent or can even die.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 god_spawn  Moderator

@adamtrmm said:

I'm going to 100% agree with this. I also don't mind some people's opinions of upgrades, but I think when you have fans coming up with all these crazy ideas like precog, energy shields, I remember some dude thought he should develop eyes all over his body and shoot beams that way, I think it's an insult to the character. What makes Scott great is basically everything Adam is saying. It's a combo of his brain power, tactical ability, and the fact he himself has very simplistic power that is terrifyingly strong. And Scott himself has some fear of losing control. It's everything. And it makes him standout on a team full of characters that control the elements, are planet level psychics, can level buildings with their fists, absorb stars, alter reality, heal from skeletons, little murder death machines. And despite all that, you have their leader who occasionally cuts loose in amazing and iconic panels, but he is so simple in his powerset and he commands them and has beaten some teams of them through his wits and growth as a leader.

So when you have fans that utter the overplayed controlling his blasts like it's some new concept, or shutting off other mutant's powers, or fly with his eyes, or use his skin as focused enhancers to shoot his beams like a magnifying glass (what)? I've seen weird theories and it's whatever at the end of the day, but it's stuff like that, that comes across as the raindrops with Storm and she needs to be the Goddess/Omega/Angel/Magic/Witch/Sorceress of all plants faster than a conscious thought 24/7. I'll admit, there are users that can probably pick things out of history that I've forgotten or missed, but when you come at things with an attitude like they did and concepts of to make something "better", it's your opinion to do so. But with all that said, do those people truly understand the character, though? Because to me it doesn't seem like it. Because when you start upgrading for the sake of upgrading, now it you fundamentally change what makes a character important. The fact that Scott stood at the helm of all these super powered beings that could flatten him, and that he gets by on his own wits, training, leads them flawlessly almost, despite his own limitations and hesitations in both powerset and personality, as a character is what makes him so special. And quite frankly, I don't feel a lot of people understand that, or just don't appreciate it.