Which American tank looks cooler - M4 Sherman or M1 Abrams?

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

modernww2fare  Online

Poll Which American tank looks cooler - M4 Sherman or M1 Abrams? (25 votes)

M4 Sherman 8%
M1 Abrams 92%

One was America's main battle tank from WW2 to Korea, while the other has been its main battle tank since the 1980s

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5b0a7ade504a7
deactivated-5b0a7ade504a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

M1 Abrams

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Abrams looks way better. I like modern tanks and designs better than older ones. That might be because I am young though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0a7ade504a7
deactivated-5b0a7ade504a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was there a practical reason for the Sherman to have such high ground clearance?

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Modern tanks in general just just look more beastly than the older ones in my opinion, even when you don't take into account performance.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just so sleek man. It looks like low slunk havoc! One of the coolest things that I ever got to do in the Army was we had some downtime and a tanker let three of my team drive his Abrams (about a hundred feet forward and them back, but STILL). My vehicle was an old modified M113 variant called a FIST/V (rumble clank clank grrriiinddd).

Mannn, you sit in the driver's hole of this thing and you rev it (it has no shit handle bars like a motorcycle) it sounds like a frigging jet engine right behind you. vvrrrroooOOOOsshhhhh and it takes off and moves like silk. No bumps, jolts, jumping have way out of your seat when you hit a fair sized rock. Almost made me wanna be a tanker....almost.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FullMetalEmprah

@heroup2112: I've heard if you were infantry you couldn't stand too close to the back because of the heat, is that true? I've heard some say it is and some say it isn't.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Abrams. Lower center of gravity and has a bigger penis.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: I've heard if you were infantry you couldn't stand too close to the back because of the heat, is that true? I've heard some say it is and some say it isn't.

I wasn't infantry (it's a little difficult. well, not difficult just kind of long, to explain what I was). I don't honestly recall how hot it was, but I do know that DATs(Dumb Ass Tankers. :) ) used to talk about standing behind the engines when it got too cold and said it was awesome.

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a competition between an ugly old tank, despite it's dependability in a critical time in the world; and the other is a cool looking modern tank that is pretty decent looking.

The answer is obviously the Abrams. Which is why it is so far a unanimous 9 to nothing.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Abrams is the better looking tank.. not... not even sure why these two are being compared...

@ughwhateverfine: Yes, they used an air-cooled aircraft engine. Was a great engine, but needed a tall vehicle [So the height comes because the back needs to be so tall to hold it] then add in its a front wheel drive and so a long drive shaft needs to run under the crew room floot and add in your other components like the clutch, rack, etc and you can see where its height would come into play. Better, smaller, engines were made later, but there was no reason to halt production for the time it would take to restructure and redesign for a shorter tank just to better suit the new engine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
deactivated-5b84aca03eae8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll be in the minority here and say the M4 Sherman looks better on the outside physically, although the M1 Abrams is leagues above it in functionality and reliability.

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

To be honest the M2 Bradley looks more in common with the M4 Sherman rather than the M1 Abrams.

Superhero24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

German TDs and SPGs leave these two in the dust.

sabracadabra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

M1.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both have their own appeal in my opinion.

I build model kits and collect military miniatures and for me, Sherman had it's own "period/era" aesthetics.

Building scale models will have you appreciates such details and features.

If you play a lot of war games (table tops, video games), particularly those that have WWII setting you will eventually love the features of these old tanks and it will have you making "legendary" AAR stories about them.

Like wise Abrams have that "modern warfare" era appeal. Sleek and badass.

Do note that these sentiments all comes from design/engineerings perspective and their values as a war gaming pieces only.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 modernww2fare  Online

Both have their own appeal in my opinion.

I build model kits and collect military miniatures and for me, Sherman had it's own "period/era" aesthetics.

Building scale models will have you appreciates such details and features.

If you play a lot of war games (table tops, video games), particularly those that have WWII setting you will eventually love the features of these old tanks and it will have you making "legendary" AAR stories about them.

Like wise Abrams have that "modern warfare" era appeal. Sleek and badass.

Do note that these sentiments all comes from design/engineerings perspective and their values as a war gaming pieces only.

Best answer so far!

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 takenstew22  Moderator

Abrams.

Avatar image for phamhungbao1122
phamhungbao1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu said:

Abrams looks way better. I like modern tanks and designs better than older ones. That might be because I am young though.

The modern design was cooler than the original classic one