Follow

Alan Moore

Person » Alan Moore is credited in 1338 issues.

Alan Moore is a British comic book writer, one of the most prominent and acclaimed in history. His eminent works include Watchmen, From Hell, V for Vendetta, Miracleman, Tom Strong, Promethea, and The Saga of Swamp Thing.

Alan Moore Loves Blackest Night! Ehh...Not So Much

Avatar image for hero_vs__villian
    hero vs. villian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hero vs. villian

According to a post on bleedingcool.com, Alan Moore says Blackest Night was based off of a Green Lantern 8-page story he did 25 or 30 years ago. He also says that it is kind of desperate and humilating. And he also says he thinks it's like the comic industry going through his trash cans like raccoons at the dead of the night. What do you fans of comics, Blackest Night, and Alan Moore think about his statements.

Here's a link to the full post: 

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2009/09/21/alan-moore-talks-blackest-night    
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

there are so many people in the comic book industry that have been kind of trash talking Moore on Twitter because of that article

geraldthesloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By geraldthesloth

Alan Moore hates everything, I'm surprised people care about his opinion anymore

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Darkchild

Alan Moore is a GOD!! Right next to Neil Gaiman

Alot of what he says is BS, but ill agree that the industry has been driven to stupid arcs an such

Avatar image for hero_vs__villian
    hero vs. villian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By hero vs. villian
    @Darkchild:
    Not that'a little bit much, I mean Watchmen and The Killing Joke, are defintley his 2 best works but he is not a god by any means.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Moore is over rated, sure Watchmen was excellent, but seriously he seems to hate on everything because its not his. Hell he even hates his own stuff half the time, how can you take someone like that seriously. This is just him being bitter that Blackest Night is doing good.

burr787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By burr787

Alan Moore complains way too much.

Ownerz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ownerz

what a rant!

I tend to see the people who run the comics industry as being largely like some variety of tapeworm or some other parasite. But, they’re not very good at it. Any self-respecting tapeworm or parasite never kills the host.

I very seriously doubt whether the comics industry as we know it is going to be here in even five years’ time.

I think the lights are going out all over the comics industry. A lot of this is the fault of the publishers, a lot of it is the fault of the artists and writers, and I think, as you say, some of it is the fault of the readers.

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TheBug

I guess he forgot that he digged through Charltons trash cans.
    TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TazzMission

jeez people will say anything to gain some fame. i may not know who the man is but geez its like people are in it for the money now
    Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Bobby X

Alan Moore is a brilliant writer but such a hater lol. He just seems to hate the fact that the industry can survive and even thrive without him. He's crazy if he thinks this industry will be dead in five years time...plus he is absolutely legit batsh*t crazy anyways lol
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By joshmightbe

well they say most great artists and writers are assholes tho i cant completely agree with what he says i cant completely disagree either im not sayin they ripped him off and im not calling the comics industry a tapeworm but there alot of things that need to be fixed in comics today but its not a lost cause

RaptorFratBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RaptorFratBoy

And really, who is Alan Moore to trash-talk ANYTHING DC or Marvel does these days? Alan, you did some excellent work...But STFU, seriously. So now it's against your high-and-mighty comic book moral code to build off of pre-existing ideas? Well shame on you, then, for even writing a Green Lantern comic to begin with; I mean...Alan Moore didn't invent GL now, did he?

If Moore wants to be the disgruntled voice of the anti-established, than he can stuff his opinions on the new material as well. Geoff Johns & Co. are crafting a truly-excellent story in "Blackest Night", and I feel it should be seen as an honor that anyone even remembers that "Tales Of The GLC" comic, let alone built an entire line-spanning mega-event out of it, because it's not like Johns is trying to say it was all their idea, they made reference to Moore's issue right from the beginning. I don't know who or what Alan Moore thinks he is, to come-off as so "above" the industry that paid his bills for the majority of his life; I don't pretend to understand why exactly he's so bitter and so standoffish, especially since he's more-or-less worshipped by his peers, who I'm sure would be completely thrilled if he'd just try to enjoy what they're trying to do. 

So really...if it's the questions that are bothering the cantankerous old bastard so much, than he should probably just stop taking them. Comic books will be just fine without you, Alan. Thanks for everything you've done, but now I'm starting to allow your disgruntled, blackened viewpoint on things tarnish how I feel about your work, much like Alex Ross. You want to be unappreciative and talk-down to those that YOU paved the way for? Crawl back into your Hobbit-Hole, work on that glorious beard some more, and write some scintilating tales of "Cthulu's Mysterious Boarding House" or whatever it is you'll do and leave the Superhero-biz to people who actually give a damn.

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Kurrent
    @Bobby X said:
    "
    Alan Moore is a brilliant writer but such a hater lol. He just seems to hate the fact that the industry can survive and even thrive without him. He's crazy if he thinks this industry will be dead in five years time...plus he is absolutely legit batsh*t crazy anyways lol "
    I agree....
    Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By Agent Buttons

Wow...
    bx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bx1
    Alan Moore said:
    "    The whole of the industry, from top to bottom, does have a certain amount of responsibility for its decline. It’s a shame. But, on the other hand, as one thing falls to bits that does allow the evolutionary niche for something else to flourish.We are getting some wonderful new cartoonists more for this expanded adult marketplace. They are not hampered by a knowledge of the continuity of Iron Man going back to the ‘60s. They don’t have all of that luggage with them. They’re people who just enjoy doing comics, and have got something to say in their own voice. That is where the future lies.   "
    There's always a silver lining ...
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By danhimself

it seems like all Johns did was build on the story that Moore wrote...isn't that what a writer is supposed to do?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#18  Edited By jakob187

While Alan Moore does continually write great work...he's a pretentious f&*#stain.  He angers me greatly because he seems to think he's the end-all be-all of comic book storytelling.  He's a great writer, don't get me wrong.  I just hate guys that have to carry that kind of mentality about them.

dancingphlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By dancingphlower

I hate Alan Moore. He's seriously one of the most overrated writers of all time, and a he's a jerk to boot.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Alan Moore is a crazed hermit who eats the animals he traps in his beard, he 's a great writer but I don't care to much for his opinion as of late
    ryanwh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ryanwh

Blackest Night is kinda corny but the idea isn't. The problem they have with bringing back the dead is DC never kills off good characters. Characters die because they're dead weight and not popular *coughaquaman* so naturally, as awesome as the idea of Blackest Night is, you mostly end up with a bunch of d listers rising from the grave. That said, its an excuse to make really rad zombied up renditions of lame characters which in turn makes them less lame. So that's good. And the art is bonkers, so that's good.
    Now Alan is a talented guy, but I don't think I've ever seen him lay a single compliment on another graphic novelist so I'm inclined to believe he's also got his head up his ass just a bit.

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @burr787 said:
    " Alan Moore complains way too much. "
    BIackFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BIackFlash
    @joshmightbe said:
    " well they say most great artists and writers are assholes tho i cant completely agree with what he says i cant completely disagree either im not sayin they ripped him off and im not calling the comics industry a tapeworm but there alot of things that need to be fixed in comics today but its not a lost cause "
    Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Chaos Agent

First of all let me establish: Alan Moore is an amazing writer, one of my favorite ones.

Second: I hate when he gives his opinion, because I just can't help but to think that he always puts himself on the highest horse he can find.

• The whole point of having a continuity based universe is that writers can later use ideas, characters and concepts used by other writers.
    • Creating a big event out of an 8 page story done 25-30 years ago isn't lack of creativity. It shows quite the opposite
    • That right there is a great show of hypocracy. Alan Moore has said a lot of times that most of his works are based on the books he read as a kid, Geoff Johns grew up reading the stories of Alan Moore among others, see a patern?
    • If he is referring to the stories I think he is referring to, Johns used the ideas for the Sinestro Corps war and not in the Blackest Night. I could be thinking of another thing though.
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By joshmightbe
    @BIackFlash:
    its standard for great artists to be pricks examples beethoven great composer complete dick, edgar allan poe was a bi polar gambling addict, robert e. howard would drive down the road shooting a gun out his window for no apparent reason it takes nothing away from the work they've done just makes it hard to be around them
    Maxmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Maxmachine

I think that he is right in some way. It´s true he complains too much but he sure has been treated like an underdog by DC.
    I believe that what he is trying to say is that comic book industry, both Marvel and DC, recycles ideas. Sometimes, they use issues from the 1990´s or 1980´s and creates "new" storylines from that. We have to accept that comic book industry is currently going trough a creative crisis right now.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NightFang3

You just got to let somethings sild.

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The Devil Tiger
    @Chaos Agent said:
    "First of all let me establish: Alan Moore is an amazing writer, one of my favorite ones.

Second: I hate when he gives his opinion, because I just can't help but to think that he always puts himself on the highest horse he can find.

• The whole point of having a continuity based universe is that writers can later use ideas, characters and concepts used by other writers.
    • Creating a big event out of an 8 page story done 25-30 years ago isn't lack of creativity. It shows quite the opposite
    • That right there is a great show of hypocracy. Alan Moore has said a lot of times that most of his works are based on the books he read as a kid, Geoff Johns grew up reading the stories of Alan Moore among others, see a patern?
    • If he is referring to the stories I think he is referring to, Johns used the ideas for the Sinestro Corps war and not in the Blackest Night. I could be thinking of another thing though.
    "

This.
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By johnny_spam

I think his critisism is funny considering he's known for mining other characters that aren't his.
    ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ARMIV

Sheesh,he tends to get easily offended.
    Kinda stuck up with this opinion if you ask me.

skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By skaarason
    @TheBug: u got him there !!!!
    Rheya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rheya

True artists tend to be perfectionists and never happy. Also Alan Moore is a veggie so only eats the root vegtables he finds in his beard!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.