Why Has Dr. Doom Not Taken Over Earth Yet?

Avatar image for infinitygauntness
InfinityGauntness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey, this is my first post on the 'vine'. I have not ever read comics, and instead I have gained my comic knowledge through countless videos, marvel/dc wikis, and this site. I was wondering why Dr. Doom has not taken over Earth yet. In fact, how is the FF a problem for him? With his magic, tech, and prep he is said to be unstoppable. He has even taken over the Beyonder's powers before.

_Nox_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By _Nox_

Because Batman exists, and if he tried to take over the world then Batman would jump to that Earth and beat him into submission. Doom is smart enough to knows this and not test his luck.

That's something that the wikis can't tell you because they're too afraid of him, but I'm norewvrf,kuwefbrewuifbeceknfc ekjds

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plot.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He tries, but he's self-destructive by nature.

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plot. Also he has an equally brilliant mind to stop him a.k.a Reed Richards.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

But, I thought he did take over Earth a few times?

Rpgesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rpgesus

obviously the plot... why cant people understand that... what kinda story would it be if doom just rules the world all the time.... besides i think he has a couple times, even got bored with it

Avatar image for infinitygauntness
InfinityGauntness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_am_lightning:

Couldn't Doom simply assassinate Reed Richards? It cannot be so hard for Doom to launch a surprise attack when Reed is walking around outside or something and then kill him. Same thing goes for Tony Stark, one of his enemies could easily assassinate him when he is not in his Ironman suit.

madtitan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His ego is usually what allows Richards and others to beat him.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plot. Villians don't have a good winning streak. You could also say Reed has a lot to do with it.

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Kramotz

Plot.

Also, Reed is not intellectually equal to Doom. I don't think people understand how much of a hindrance Doom's ego truly is on his intellect. It doesn't help that Doom is still smarter than Reed, even though the latter has an elastic brain granted to him by his powers.

If Doom wasn't an egomaniac, he could probably single-handedly make humanity a tier 1 species.

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has multiple times!,

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom hasn't taken over because of "PIS", "WIS", "CIS", "FIS", "QIS", "EIS", "RIS", "TIS", "YIS", "UIS", "IIS", "OIS", "ZIS", "VIS", and all the other types of "IS".

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The same reason any other villain hasn't...

Dextersinister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A better question is why is he allowed to just sit in his country plotting against the world when he is clearly guilty of untold crimes against humanity. The in world reason is diplomatic immunity, the real reason is plot.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

Dr. Doom is a Promethean character, a lot like Victor Frankenstein. Both narcissistically isolated themselves, obsessively seeking knowledge and trying to gain the power of God (in Frankenstein's case, power over life and death, and in Doom's case, whatever Marvel sci fi power source he can get his hands on). Both are motivated by the deaths of their mothers; Frankenstein wanted to prevent people from dying as his mother had from scarlet fever, and the experiment that caused Doom's expulsion from Empire State University was an effort to communicate with his mother in the afterlife (Mephisto's realm?).

One big divergence is that, while he does often suffer negative consequences as Frankenstein did for his reckless research (Marvel: Ultimate Alliance spoilers), his main enemy is Reed Richards, another scientist. Reed is the hero of the story, which means he has certain qualities that should make the reader want to succeed against Doom. One quality that I associate with Reed more than any other is curiosity. He treats knowledge as an end, itself a valuable thing worthy of pursuit. He "comes in peace" and never acts selfishly. On the other hand, to Doom, knowledge is a means to an end, a tool to increase his control over his surroundings. This is shown in his dictatorial dominance in Latveria and his exploitation of his discoveries to achieve personal goals (bring back his mother, get revenge on Reed, rule the world) at the expense of others and his own relationships with them. The battle between the two is that between unrestrained, narrow, single-minded obsession and the healthy mind. Besides the usual Marvel admonishment against selfishness, here is argued that ego and attachment to the past (visually evident in Doom's costume, which covers his scarred face and shows ties with Latverian royal tradition) shouldn't prevent us from enjoying the present (such as Reed's family) or hoping for a better tomorrow.

Oh, and Doom isn't going to take over the world.

#nystrong
#nystrong
kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Valeria Richards has helped him to calm down and actually do good things for the world and not just Latveria. For some reason he doesn't really like doing the things he really accomplishes of you think about it and regrets it later

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

cuz toaa won't allow it

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MyNameIsWill
VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@mynameiswill said:

@darthmummy: What's that from?

The Amazing Spider-man Vol. 2 #50 (2003). It's really #491. Spider-man and Doom are referring to the Latverian freedom fighters' attack on Doom, from which Spidey and Captain America save him.

Homer_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Plot is the reason

MyNameIsWill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mynameiswill said:

@darthmummy: What's that from?

The Amazing Spider-man Vol. 2 #50 (2003). It's really #491. Spider-man and Doom are referring to the Latverian freedom fighters' attack on Doom, from which Spidey and Captain America save him.

madtitan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PLOT! you mean there are writers involved and this is not real life? My whole life is wasted NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!