Which CBM took more risks - BvS or Infinity War?

• 116 results
ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which CBM took more risks - BvS or Infinity War? (157 votes)

Batman v. Superman 40%
Avengers: Infinity War 60%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

• 
Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

Neither film took any big risks I'd say BVS because Snyder tried to turn into a deep and intelligent film but fell flat on his face any studio that let's a film be made the way they did is a huge risk lol killing Superman in his second film, introducing doomsday ther earlier, having Batman be a raging psychopath murderer, having Lex Luthor be a twitchy hipster freak, etc I could go on

Infinity War didnt really take any big risks I mean most people expected Loki and Vision to die with those being the only permanent deaths most likely all the deaths were all the new characters who are obviously coming back leaving only the original Avengers alive

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I chose IW but know I think BvS. Who would kill Superman like that in his second movie.

TheMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infinity war and its not close. Yeah supes died but we all knew he would be back. Same with the ash people in infinity war, but other people died before hand and we dont know who is dead dead.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BvS. The risk was taken, and it didn’t pay off

Avatar image for deactivated-61a1b6940ec47
deactivated-61a1b6940ec47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

marvel has so much credit in the bank, there is no risk in what they do atm

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll back IW. I don't know why anyone would say it wasn't a risk. There wasn't a risk of it doing bad financially but it could have easily damaged the brand if it where bad. Both took risks it just didn't go as well for BvS. Infinity War took the risk of making the film a little too dark. Also 500 billion characters seems like a risk to me.

Devilmenworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BvS took the bigger risk. This was there second film in the series and the public was still somewhat divided over MoS. Now instead of trying to improve on Superman and establish the DC , they just threw in a confusing rushed plot, bad portrayal of villains, and a brooding Superman.

IW took risks, but it was still going to make money, because the movies leading up to it were good and slowly getting better over time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think its a really a risk in case of IW.

Avatar image for rudebomberboy01
RudeBomberBoy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BvS tried too hard, and paid. I'll say BvS took more risks.

byrd42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess BVS took more risks because they killed Superman, which took him completely out of the trailers of Justice League, which had to hurt that movie. They also took a huge risk casting Jesse Eisenberg. Both risks helped send them swirling down the toilet.

IW took risks that really shook people up and shocked people, but those are not the kind of risks that will hurt the money making potential of the movies.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13 krisbishop  Moderator

BvS and it's not even close.

IW didn't remotely take any risks.

Malzahaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IW took a way bigger risk.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BvS

Not sure how IW took risks. Anyone who's dead or about to be dead are the ones who have completed their contract.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

As much as I hate BvS, it did take more risks but they just didn't pay off like they did in MoS.

TheMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba: lol please enlighten me, what huge risk did bvs take

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

"Killing" Superman was not a "risk", it was another amazing story arc Snyder shoehorned into his movie and ruined it.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themaximus: BvS gave us versions of the characters that were not what the audience expected but made sense within the world they inhabited and the narrative they were trying to build. I'm not saying it was successful but it was a risk.

TheMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba: Thats not a risk. This is freaking batman superman and wonder woman were talking about. 3 of the most iconic superheros ever. Just seeing them on screen together for the first was a must. There was no risk in bvs at all. Infinity war killed off loki, who is one of the most iconic mcu villians and vision and gamora, two characters people loved.

ignVela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BvS. its existence is risking a failure.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themaximus: again there is no risk in removing characters who've completed their contracts. Movies are different from comics, you can't keep blowing up the balloon. Loki has served his purpose and it would be stupid to keep him past this point and that's assuming Tom even wants to keep going, its been ten years and some people want to move on. As far as Vision I doubt a lot of people cared and even if they did there the door is open for him to return, Banner basically told the audience he could live without the stone. As for Gamora we'll have to wait and see what happens in A4 but given they want to change the GoT completely after the third movie and Zoe being involved with Avatar and Star Trek I don't see her being super involved anymore, again not a risk just bussines.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By SaintWildcard

@all-father said:

"Killing" Superman was not a "risk", it was another amazing story arc Snyder shoehorned into his movie and ruined it.

By that logic neither is IW since it's also a famous story arc and they are bound to bring everyone back. As it stands, BvS does at least try and flip it a bit by having Superman be a divisive figure which could have made his sacrifice all the more impactful. While also being only the second movie in and they already killed off a major character and leave him dead for the movie. Oh, and Lex knowing that SUperman is Clark Kent. All risks, but all risks wasted on a shitpile movie.

EDIT- Oh, and having Batman be the bad guy in the story

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BvS didn't take risks, it made mistakes.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither. They both choose safe routes that would allow them to continue with a shared universe.

TheMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba: Probably the dumbest logic ever. So let me get this straight.

The mcu doesn't kill anybody

"The mcu dont take risk they play it safe"

The mcu actually kills important characters.

"Thats not a risk because their contracts were up"

Wtf?????

m2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Logistically speaking, cramming 30+ characters into a movie is as challenging as it gets. The risk of it being an absolute incoherent mess speaks for itself more than any decision in story writing. Which other film studio has ever attempted something of this scale before?

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BvS took the bigger risk. This was there second film in the series and the public was still somewhat divided over MoS. Now instead of trying to improve on Superman and establish the DC , they just threw in a confusing rushed plot, bad portrayal of villains, and a brooding Superman.

IW took risks, but it was still going to make money, because the movies leading up to it were good and slowly getting better over time.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30 krisbishop  Moderator

I'm pretty sure 99% of the people didn't even read the OP and just saw "BvS or Infinity War" so they all just voted IW.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deathstroke512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BvS

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even when the pick is obvious, "Some" fanboys are staying in character backing the precious idols.

LawCol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel building up a super villain and numerous heroes unknown to most people vs DC using two of the most iconic comic book characters. To me IW definitely more risky.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BvS but that failed.

WhyZoSerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this a trick question? IW put at stake 10 years positive experience and billions of dollars in one single movie-finale?

BvS was just a bad movie with the worst character - superman, that was meant to fail.

Avatar image for geraldofvengerberg
Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

BvS. It was a huge risk to have so many side plots like setting up DC universe by an Email and new characters like Wonder Woman in a movie advertised as Batman vs Superman and it DC screwed up Royally

Infinity War played very safe by slowly introducing characters and building Universe for 10 years.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

BvS, IW didn't take a risk.

JohnCena69swag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Risking the best comic book character on Ben Afflac solos.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42 morpheus_  Moderator

Apparently having a villain be the main star in an Avengers film with 20 more established characters isn't a risk nowadays.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think having batman kill and use guns was a huge risk. I don't see any major risks for infinity war at the moment but it depends which characters stay dead after avengers 4 (Gamora and vision might stay dead). Still I view the risk BVS took with batmans character as a much bigger risk even if they stay dead (which did not work).

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By legacy6364

Batman v. Superman.

Infinity War had 18 movies of world building and character development to stand on. Infinity War didn't take any risk, it gave the audience exactly what they wanted.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@g2_ said:
@outside_85 said:

What?

10 years of nearly unbroken success stories across more than a dozen movies. You take all of them, put them in the same movie, play the same notes with them like you've done before and then wait for the money to wash over you like a wave.

I have a hard time seeing what risk IW took that Avengers hadn't already pulled off on a smaller scale?

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

#47  Edited By KrleAvenger

Neither one of them risked anything. Thanos and the Infinity Gauntlet were established half a decade before Infinity War came out. They knew what they were doing and that build up finally meant something. BvS is the opposite story. It's Snyder and Warner Bros. not being patient and decided to start their Universe prematurely. They did not take any risks because they thought this movie will be good only if they pull every single Comic Book related shit out of their ass and put it in a movie (Batman, Superman, Batman vs. Superman, sequal to MoS, Joker and Robin reference, Justice League, Darkseid build up, Parademons, Lex Luthor, Doomsday and DoS, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash, Cyborg, prelude to Justice League and God knows what else).

If this was related to Batman vs. Superman only, it would be risky because because they are trying to tell a story without establishing them as characters who know each other. But this movie is not that. It just spams random Comic Book stuff to make up for the lack of good story-telling, developed Universe and credibility. It's not risky. It's stupid, unprofessional mess created by ambitious, yet impatient people who think you can make a Universe without establishing anything. I'll be waiting for DCEU fanboys to start attacking me because of my post. Who are by the way, the same people who think that Henry's Superman and Ezra's Flash are accurate portayals of the characters we see in comics.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Again 500 billion characters is definitely a risk. That could have gone terribly.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@g2_ said:
@outside_85 said:

What?

10 years of nearly unbroken success stories across more than a dozen movies. You take all of them, put them in the same movie, play the same notes with them like you've done before and then wait for the money to wash over you like a wave.

I have a hard time seeing what risk IW took that Avengers hadn't already pulled off on a smaller scale?

Ok.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BvS