Avatar image for portlandsbatman
PortlandsBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By PortlandsBatman

So every once in a while I see things on TV about comics that just make me sad and even mad. I was watching "Who's Line is it Anyway" and while ginving hints to Colin that he was batman they said "I MARVEL at that". I just thought if you know about the different publishing companies why would you not know that he is DC? So what bothers you about the comic uneducated?

Mizz_Coconut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Mizz_Coconut

Bothers me a little when people watch a comic movie and think they know everything.

Also when someone thinks theyre Mr/Miss morale because theyve seen a comic book movie, its so much more than that, it's not black and white and that annoys me, like it's a simple thing that the everyday person can do.

I know Batman- Dark Knight Rises was long, but think of how Bruce Wayne felt, i stand by that

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By CrimsonCake

Youtube comment sections where people have arguments on marvel and Dc when the person has limited knowledge on the companies and starts making falsified statements.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When comics they have invested years into following are run into the ground by inept writers and editors

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrShway88

I hate it when people say comics are for kids.

Avatar image for deactivated-6030f931768b5
deactivated-6030f931768b5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@Mizz_Coconut said:

Bothers me a little when people watch a comic movie and think they know everything.

Also when someone thinks theyre Mr/Miss morale because theyve seen a comic book movie, its so much more than that, it's not black and white and that annoys me, like it's a simple thing that the everyday person can do.

I know Batman- Dark Knight Rises was long, but think of how Bruce Wayne felt, i stand by that

This bothers me so much! I know of couple of people like this, one has a Batman tattoo and is a "true fan" yet I saw him tweeting about how Green Lantern would have been a great addition to the Avengers movie. I promptly put him in his place.

Vermoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vermoot

I hate it when I'm reading a Deadpool comic, and someone looks at it and says "Hey nice, you're reading a Spider-Man comic ?" BLEH !

Violens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Violens

comic movies, not really a fan. Comics should just stay as comics.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#9  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
@Brazen_Intellect said:

When comics they have invested years into following are run into the ground by inept writers and editors

This.
The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By The_Thunderer

@Rabbitearsblog said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

This.

@MrShway88 said:

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

- Continuity errors / destruction.

- Dumbed down stories for younger readers / new readers.

- Horrible art.

- Annoying fans.

- The stereotype that "comic book" equals children's story.

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@Rabbitearsblog said:
@Brazen_Intellect said:

This.
Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Lvenger

@JediXMan said:

- Horrible art.

- Annoying fans.

These are a lot of things I have gripes with too.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Loki9876

horrible art

people who are ignorant about comics but pretend they know so much about them

people who think comics are immature.

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DocFatalis

@JediXMan said:

- Horrible art.

- Annoying fans.

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JohnnyWalker

fanboys

RoughDeparture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RoughDeparture

I think what bothers me most about comics is that it's a form of entertainment that not to many people take part in, I hope there will always be enough comic book fans for the genre to survive. Sadly comics have alienated a bunch of different demographics for years. Women feel like they aren't represented enough as well as being portrayed in a way that turns them away from it, minorities feel them same way and I feel like because the industry has spent over 40 years or so pushing one type of character it will be hard in the future to get certain types of people to read comics, which sucks. Of course I can't stand continuity errors and typos and gimmicks and events, and inconsistencies etc. etc. but I think with how weak the writing has gotten these days there are still some diamonds in the rough, so to speak. I think each comic publisher is breaking something to the table that I have to have.

AngryHulks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AngryHulks

Manga fanboys that preached about their favorite character everywhere, even when they have nothing to do with it.

On internet, anywhere with comic-related stuff, there'll be ignorant DBZ fanboys popping up and chanting something akin to "Goku wins", and it's evident in their words that they never read a comic.

Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19  Edited By Battlepig

I have grown to dislike the attitude most of the comic book fan community seems to have adopted. Well, this doesn't just apply to the comic book fandom, video game fandom is very similar. They're very stuck up and snobbish. I have seen this scene often at the local comic book shop. There's a casual reader flipping through some books. And then either the casual reader asks the staff something and a diehard fan barges in. Or the diehard fan barges in anyways. And typically, the talk starts with "Oh, you don't want that!" followed by a huge rant about how everything sucks. Other diatribe subjects are how you need to know numerous books in order to fully understand and appreciate the book you're currently interested in. And then you're being made to feel like a moron for even being interested in. Or, when asking about a plotline, they launch into the hugest speech that spans numerous decades of plots and just serves to show the diehard's knowledge.

People who go "This sucks!" months before it has happened, solely based on maybe one preview image.

In the industry itself, I don't like editors who okay rubbish. This can include the blatant re-using of the same plot devices such as Marvel's "everyone gets a certain set of superpowers"-schtick. We've had it with the Hulk where there were red and blue Hulks left and right, Spider Island where everyone was Spider-Man suddenly and now we have Avengers vs. X-Men where everyone is The Phoenix. With a biit of a stretch, you could count in Fear Itself as well, where everyone had Asgard powers. I guess we can be lucky that we're running out of well-established powersets at Marvel's.

The people who make the movies based on DC that are not Christopher Nolan. Because whoever backs Nolan did a very good job of just letting him run loose. Like the movies or not, but they were well-done. But Green Lantern and Jonah Hex, for example, were handled by complete hacks.

This desperate need to be all-encompassing and diverse. If you're writing a good story, everyone - regardless of race, creed, gender or sexual orientation - will like it. Be inclusive and diverse because you can, not because you have to.

Villains who can't be villains anymore. Red Skull is a nazi. He has been a nazi for decades. But these days, he just has generic evil plans. Not once would he dare to call Falcon's by a derogatory nickname. He's just the same as everyone else. He's no different from any other villain. So you have one villain with about seven faces. Sticking with the Red Skull example, why can't he have nazi plots anymore? While the nazis have lost the second World War, they're still around. So they're villains who are evil for the sake of being evil. There's nothing behind it anymore.

Books that feature heroes that are only defined through their interactions with other heroes who - in turn - are also defined by talking to other heroes.

The DC and Marvel continuities. They're much too tight and allow for too little freedom, I think.

The editory in comic book companies obviously have read a great amount of comics in their life. I would say that they recognize a good story, or an obviously flawed one. Yet there is the occasional trainwreck such as Ultimatum. How could anyone have okayed this?

Death in comics. I would like to see a rule that has like a minimum time of staying dead. Say you kill off Superman. then the rule would say that he has to stay dead for five years. Because when characters die in March and are back by December, it loses all impact.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By the_tree

@JediXMan said:

- Horrible art.

- Annoying fans.

These. To add to annoying fans, I'd say I hate fans that think they're the supreme authority on how something or some character should be handled.

EmmRoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By EmmRoss

Simple answer: Jim Lee, Dan DiDio and Geoff Johns.

Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#22  Edited By Battlepig

Oh, here's another one.

Merchandise. I have come to hate the comic books industry's way of handling the merch. How many shirts with variations of the Superman logo do we need? Same with the Bat-Symbol? But let's say you'd be interested in a hero's looks. Say Wolverine. You don't want a shirt with a picture of Wolverine on it. You want Wolverine's t-shirt. Yellow shirt with blue stripes to the side. Or shirts with symbols of lesser known heroes. It's not like it's a lot of work, because all the design work has been done already. All you need to do is just adapt that. It's not that hard. And what if they had something like Zazzle's way of customizing designs? That would be icing on the cake.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gunmetalgrey

It's a bit bothersome, but I'll keep posting in the 'Rate the _____' threads in the hopes that I find others with as open a mind about characters as I do (or maybe it's a problem of not having as broad a knowledge?). So far the cycle continues, my post gets rated low then someone posts an A-B lister/s, or recent up and comer/s. Maybe I misunderstood the purpose of those threads and it's supposed to be for characters to be posted over and over again just for posts to keep getting a high rating or the occasional low rating from a hater.

icysloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By icysloth

I have been reading comics since I was seven and i'm in my 20s now, and i have never minded any kind of fans as long as their reading. Nothing makes me more angry than when a series i'm following gets canceled due to low readership, so if your new and ignorant I will sign you up.

icysloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By icysloth

@EmmRoss: You can't seriously say you hate Geoff Johns, without saying you hate the last few years of DC continuity, because he coauthored pretty much everything. I understand Dan Didio, but Johns made aquaman cool again, i didn't even think that was possible.

x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#26  Edited By x_29

Many things:

• Jeff Loeb
  • Rob Liefield
  • As a male comic reader, I hate the discrimination against female readers.
  • Avengers vs X-men
  • Comic book deaths
Avatar image for thebigredcheese
TheBigRedCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheBigRedCheese

@Brazen_Intellect said:

When comics they have invested years into following are run into the ground by inept writers and editors.

Haaydrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Haaydrian

The Right Answer: Everything

(comic-book related, of course)

jonEsherfey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jonEsherfey

It bothers me when people think comics can't have mature and real stories and that it is childish. Also when people say that buying comics is a waste of money and that they are stupid.

Bluefox170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bluefox170

@Brazen_Intellect said:

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Skyfire

I guess people who think all comics are for kids.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

@Brazen_Intellect said:

Couldn't agree more. Also nice to see someone with a Doc Savage avatar on here. Only read a few issues of the most recent series but didn't care for it.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@CrimsonCake said:

Youtube comment sections where people have arguments on marvel and Dc when the person has limited knowledge on the companies and starts making falsified statements.

OOOh this. I remember some kid said Batman could take a stab from Wolverine because his armor was made to withstand any kind of metal or piercing weapons. I was like..dude they don't even have adamantium in DC how would he be prepared for it if he's never faced it before?

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CrimsonCake

@Guardiandevil83 said:

@CrimsonCake said:

OOOh this. I remember some kid said Batman could take a stab from Wolverine because his armor was made to withstand any kind of metal or piercing weapons. I was like..dude they don't even have adamantium in DC how would he be prepared for it if he's never faced it before?

I also went to this daredevil Tribute video and someone said that Dc doesn't have any blind superheroes,I just wish I could of told him about Doctor Mid-night but I couldn't find the comment or the video.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@CrimsonCake said:

@Guardiandevil83 said:

@CrimsonCake said:

I also went to this daredevil Tribute video and someone said that Dc doesn't have any blind superheroes,I just wish I could of told him about Doctor Mid-night but I couldn't find the comment or the video.

I love my family and friends but I remember me and my dad going back and forth because he said that Spider-Man didn't have any powers. Because he saw the scene where Peter was getting beaten by Green Goblin n the first movie. I was like ''Dad the dudes holding a freaking Trolly full of people..WITH ONE ARM!!"" Love my pops though. lol

Suprman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By Suprman

There are two things

1. People who say comics are supposed to be for kids.

2. People who think reading a Wiki entry makes them experts.

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By moywar700

Idiot nerd girl: The Dark Knight is the best marvel movie ever.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By PowerHerc

The rising price of comics and the endless cycles of death, resurrection, de-powering of heroes, crossover events and reboots

Avatar image for deactivated-57a50c1d96f21
deactivated-57a50c1d96f21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bothers me the following:

1. When people watch a comic/superhero movie and they think the know everything.

2. Horrible art.

3. Horrible, inept and mediocre writers, editors and artist.

4. Constant reboots.

5. Deaths and Resurrections. Dude stay dead unless you are a really significant and respectable character.

6. Too many crossovers a year and sometimes with too many tie-ins.

7. Fan boys.

8. When they make a comic movie and turns out horrible, like pretty bad.

9. Discrimination against female readers.

10. Ridiculous prices on comics merchandise.

mrtrickster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By mrtrickster

retcon

Bane_of_sith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bane_of_sith

Over pricing of comics, over powering of characters, and kids who base their knowledge of Heroes off of movies they have seen...I was arguing with a friend who swears juggernaut is weak because he based him off of the horrible xmen 3 movie, and that dr.doom isn't a sorcerer and has no real powers but electricity and isn't that smart...stop watching these terrible adaptations of comics and read one!!! I'm not as knowledgeable as some of the people on this site to whom I tip my hat,to but when I don't know something I ask questions or stay away from it at risk of sounding like an ignorant fool

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Imagine_Man15

@MrShway88 said:

Definitely this. That irritates me so much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CrimsonAvenger said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

Couldn't agree more. Also nice to see someone with a Doc Savage avatar on here. Only read a few issues of the most recent series but didn't care for it.

I never read the comics, only the paperbacks

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#45  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
@PowerHerc said:

The rising price of comics and the endless cycles of death, resurrection, de-powering of heroes, crossover events and reboots

@Knight_Justice said:

Bothers me the following:

1. When people watch a comic/superhero movie and they think the know everything.

2. Horrible art.

3. Horrible, inept and mediocre writers, editors and artist.

4. Constant reboots.

5. Deaths and Resurrections. Dude stay dead unless you are a really significant and respectable character.

6. Too many crossovers a year and sometimes with too many tie-ins.

7. Fan boys.

8. When they make a comic movie and turns out horrible, like pretty bad.

9. Discrimination against female readers.

10. Ridiculous prices on comics merchandise.

Definitely this!!!
Mizz_Coconut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mizz_Coconut

@Vermoot said:

I hate it when I'm reading a Deadpool comic, and someone looks at it and says "Hey nice, you're reading a Spider-Man comic ?" BLEH !

as if!! who does that? thats unreal annoying

Avatar image for deactivated-57a50c1d96f21
deactivated-57a50c1d96f21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rabbitearsblog: Glad someone agrees with me here! :-)

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#48  Edited By sinestro_GL
  • "You read comics? Aren't they for children?"
  • "I know everything about (insert character name) - I've seen all his films!"
  • "That was a comic book?"
  • Fanboys - specifically Batman fanboys
  • "Aquaman is useless"
  • "I don't read comics - my brain doesn't work like that"
  • "I hate Superman"
  • People that confuse Marvel and DC characters
  • 'Fans' that have never read a comic book
gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#49  Edited By gravitypress

(W,P,C)IS

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jack Donaghy

People who either confuse Marvel and DC or think that there's just 1 company that makes comic books, after watching the Avengers I heard a lot of people saying they liked the movie but "why weren't Batman and Superman in it?"