#1 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

Hi everyone. I couldn't find a thread on this subject, so I thought I'd start one. Sorry if there already is one.

Anyway, Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios have a new Western series called 'Pretty Deadly' starting this year, released by Image Comics. It looks like it could be good, and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on it, or any important information/news to contribute.

From comicsalliance.com: "Next up was Kelly Sue DeConnick, who'll be writing Pretty Deadly, a western book starring a female assassin with a scarred face who's in competition for a prize she doesn't necessarily want. DeConnick said the story was inspired by the works of Sergio Leone. Pretty Deadly will be drawn by artist Emma Rios, who DeConnick previously collaborated with on Osborn."

Read More: http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/07/14/image-panel-sdcc-comic-con-2012-fraction-rucka-casey-deconnick-chaykin/#ixzz2HEl6pPfW

I've enjoyed Kelly Sue DeConnicks' work on Captain Marvel and Avengers Assemble, and am interested to see how she'll write in such a different situation. From what I've seen of Emma Rios' style, I reckon it'd suit a Western well.

Anyone got anything to say about this series?

Scarlotte

#2 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think there's a release date set yet, but I've found a sketch preview:

#3 Posted by akbogert (3200 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

"DeConnick said the story was inspired by the works of Sergio Leone."

Well, might be interested.

Looks like it could be good...I'm always down for a well-done Western.

#4 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

Think I'll have to give it a read...

Although... I mean, seriously... girls and guns???? Some things just don't mix... Let's be honest, girls are about as good at using guns as they are at being doctors....

LOL!!!! My daughter slapped me for typing that last line... I couldn't resist... I hope Black Widow and Domino know I'm just kidding...

#5 Posted by BumpyBoo (7676 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks like it could be a REALLY good read O_O

**tries not to 'splode**

#6 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting, the only Western I'm reading is The Dreadful so I might check this one out.

#7 Posted by SuperSlayin (67 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm totally on board. Not too sure about the Leone comparison though

#8 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8739 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Could be good, always down on giving new Image stuff a shot.

#9 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma Rios has drawn the cover for a new comic book magazine in Spain called Zona Cómic, and it's inspired by Pretty Deadly, so here it is:

#10 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

Some new information from Kelly Sue DeConnick.

DeConnick finished her time discussing her upcoming Image Comics creator-owned project, "Pretty Deadly." The western-style book features a female protagonist -- the Devil's daughter -- as well as a man who may or may not be blind, a girl who wears a vulture coat, and a dead bunny narrator. Reuniting with artist Emma Rios, DeConnick says they are ready to do more than the five issues slated.

"'Pretty Deadly' is the hardest thing I've ever written in my life. Every time I think I know what its about or where it's going, it changes on me. It's a weird book."

Fans can tentatively expect the book to hit shelves this spring, along with her "Captain Marvel"/"Avengers Assemble" crossover kicking off in June.

Full Interview here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=44185

#11 Posted by chem86 (356 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: Very excited for this title as well!

#12 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

Found a fairly recent interview with Kelly Sue DeConnick. Looks like it may be out a little later than expected:

"Let’s move on to your other works. I’m sure you’ve been asked this many times, and I’m sorry to have to bring it up, but does Pretty Deadly have a release date yet?
No, we’re not going to solicit Pretty Deadly until we have three issues completed, so that we don’t get ourselves into trouble. Because neither Emma Rios nor I are particularly fast, and we’ve never misled anybody about that. And this book is…we’re both very devoted to this book, and we’ve both spent a great deal of time working it out. When you see her art, you’ll see there’s nothing rushed about it. We’ve just completed the first issue, so I expect that we will solicit it in the late spring. Some time toward the end of summer would be my guess for the release.
But nothing is set, and that is shift-able. It took us a lot longer, I think, than would be normal to complete the first issue, even for a labour of love like this, just because we had a lot of stuff to work out. Now that we have our characters fleshed out, I expect it will go a bit faster, but I don’t wanna promise anybody anything."

Full interview here.

#13 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

New interview with more details here.

#14 Posted by Hancock89 (94 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the updates, I've also been looking forward to this comic.

So I guess it will come to shelves near the end of the year, oh well.

I'm still excited though, I like this creative team.

#15 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

@hancock89: Yeah, it seems to be coming out much later than expected, but that's alright, I can wait.

#16 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

So now we have what I think is the first cover:

I really like it. There's a step by step process and interview in the link below.

Source: ComicsAlliance

#17 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic art !

#18 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

And we have a solicit. It's officially coming soon now. :)

PRETTY DEADLY #1 – GEM OF THE MONTH
story KELLY SUE DECONNICK
art EMMA RÍOS & JORDIE BELLAIRE
cover EMMA RÍOS
OCTOBER 23
32 PAGES / FC / M
$3.50
KELLY SUE DECONNICK (Avengers Assemble, Captain Marvel) & EMMA RÍOS (Dr. Strange, Osborn) reunite to bring you an all-new ongoing series that marries the magical realism of Sandman with the western brutality of Preacher. Death’s daughter rides the wind on a horse made of smoke and her face bears the skull marks of her father. Her tale of retribution is as beautifully lush as it is unflinchingly savage.

#19 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

There's now a preview of #1:

A slip for taking to your local comic book shop?

Some sketches:

And some links with pretty much all you need to know about the series:

A Look Inside Emma Rios’ Studio

All You Need To Know To Pre-Order Pretty Deadly

Artist August: Emma Rios (Art Feature)

Artist August: Emma Rios (Interview)

Becoming Pretty Deadly with Kelly Sue DeConnick (Interview)

By the way, if you're reading this comment, could you leave a comment below? Just so I can post again if I need to(can only post two comments in a row).

#20 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32862 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm in there like swimwear.

Been looking forward to this since they announced it at Image Expo

#21 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm in there like swimwear.

Been looking forward to this since they announced it at Image Expo

In July of last year?

Wow, that's a long wait. I think I only heard about it in January.

#22 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32862 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: lol no I mean the one just before comic con the other month there

#23 Posted by SC (12721 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooh thank you for keeping this thread updated v scarlotte rose and with links and what not. I am excited by the premise of the book and now I would pick it up for just the gorgeous artwork alone.

#24 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: No problem. Yeah, it's looking pretty good. I thought Emma Rios' style would suit a western, and it really does, more than I expected actually.

@jonny_anonymous: Ah, O.K. Well that's not too long to wait then. :)

There's a cover and solicit for #2 now:

PRETTY DEADLY #2
story KELLY SUE DeCONNICK
cover EMMA RÍOS
NOVEMBER 27
32 PAGES / FC / M
$3.50
The Old West is steeped in violence and strange magic in this macabre tale from the team behind the cult-hit miniseries Osborn, KELLY SUE DeCONNICK (Captain Marvel) and EMMA RÍOS (Dr. Strange). Gunfighters have it out with swords as the whole world burns. There will be blood, blood, blood.

#25 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

I cannot wait for this series.

#26 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by waezi2 (6852 posts) - - Show Bio

I will check it out.

#28 Edited by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

In case anyone wanted to see a gif of the cover taking shape:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/a906bf9f489784af167f9db6fbf53fcd/tumblr_mrslr9IEWl1rlrnhpo1_400.gif

Edited: Wow, this threads had 5000 views. Plenty of people excited for the series then?

#30 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

Kelly Sue DeConnick has posted this picture on her Tumblr to introduce us to a character called Alice from the series:

I'm really liking this art. I can't wait to actually start reading the series. :)

#31 Edited by CaptainHoopla (900 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks great, I'm ready for this, already added to my pull list. I'm not sure when it's scheduled to start. Sometime in September?

Edit: Just saw on the pre-order form above October 23.

#32 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4212 posts) - - Show Bio

Already on the pull list. I'm looking forward to this one, I hope it's good. Beautiful art.

#33 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

Turns out there's one of these "character sheets" for Ginny too:

Is sword fighting a common thing in westerns? I'm not aware of it happening, though I'm not really an expert in westerns.

#34 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Sword fights don't really occur too often, basically they're as likely to happen as they are in any other random genre.

#35 Posted by HeckTate (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not usually a big Western fan, but this looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.

#36 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

@hecktate: No problem. :) Neither am I, but this one's caught my attention. Hopefully it'll be a good read when it comes out.

@decoyelite: I see. Western sword fighting sounds kind of cool to me, so it should be interesting to see how it goes. Thanks for the info. :)

#37 Edited by gunmetalgrey (1267 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: I see swords in the West as more of statement pieces. They're a lot more conspicuous than a knife, with fewer practical uses. But they are much better at what they're generally used for, fighting and killing.

Plus, guns in those days were a pain to reload in the middle of combat..

#38 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

There's now a pre-order form for #2 if anyone needs it:

There's a link to download a PDF here.

#39 Edited by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a cover and solicit for #3 now:

PRETTY DEADLY #3
script KELLY SUE DeCONNICK
cover EMMA RÍOS
DECEMBER 18
32 PAGES / FC / M
$3.50
All blood spilled into the earth makes its way to a river. Where those rivers meet, Fox attends the birth of a beast, the child of a thousand violent deaths.

#40 Posted by _Marc_74 (162 posts) - - Show Bio

Just heard and I'm in

#41 Posted by Smallville2106 (92 posts) - - Show Bio

Have it pre-ordered. Very excited!!

#42 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

Well it's out today, so keep an eye out for it if you're going to your local comic book shop sometime. :)

#44 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

Rios & Bellaire are definitely solid. I'm hoping Kelly Sue can hold up her end. I'm not really a fan, but I like most of the characters she is involved with.