Marvel Battleworld, NOT A REBOOT?

• 82 results
mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@thelurker: I'm excited and I plan on buying Secret War and all of the tie ins.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By Jestersmiles

@sophia89: So there two thors running around with the same power set??

Loading Video...

Can we give Female thor a other name please?

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Jestersmiles

@lukehero: I just hope they don't drop She thor ,Plan on ready her stuff soon. I wait to see what characters emerge from this to pick up my second marvel book, after that I be set. This and convergence will break my wallet.

Future predication: Secret wars will get all the attention, convergence will be the better Story xD.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

This still doesn't rule out the possibility of a reboot I'm afraid. The destruction of Marvel's multiverse, the combition of the 616, Ultimate and more universes coming together on Battleworld to create a new Marvel Universe and the way the announcements have been made point just as much to Marvel rebooting as it doesn't.

In any case, it's killed my interest in buying any more Marvel comics in the forseeable future. Marvel seem to be moving away from the very tenants that make their own universe work in the first place though I've been dissatisfied with Marvel for some time now for other reasons. This is just the icing on the cake really.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@jestersmiles: She-thor sounds like a He-man character... Though its still better than Thorles

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jestersmiles: She-thor sounds like a He-man character... Though its still better than Thorles

lol yeah

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: These guys when on record as saying your old comics will still count. They would like ***hats if they tried to spin this into a reboot.

I'm really excited for this event, and I am glad it's not a reboot.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero said:

@lvenger: These guys when on record as saying your old comics will still count. They would like ***hats if they tried to spin this into a reboot.

I'm really excited for this event, and I am glad it's not a reboot.

I'm pretty sure there will still be some reshuffle and retcons in one way or the other.Hopefully done with taste instead of feeling like being hit with a shit-in-a-silk glove when its all said & done.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: That makes one of us then, this event has put me off Marvel for the forseeable future.

And comic book editors make claims which later show that they were witholding the truth to prevent early news from leaking. Plenty of announcements in the last few years have come from news which DC or Marvel execs first denied, then released the news later under their terms. So a reboot is not out of the question I'm afraid.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think this will necessarily be a reboot, but it will at least set the stage for one in the near future. There will at least be a relaunch if they don't go this direction.

Im actually excited for this, though I know I shouldn't get my hopes up.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: If they go back on their word and shift this into a full reboot and not just a relaunch and shuffle of the universe, the media should slam them.

@sinikettu: I don't mind minor retcons, example: Magneto used to have TP.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By sinikettu

@lukehero: Yeah not all retcons are bad though with good writing you shouldn't need them in conventional literature. It gets difficult with things like comics which have easily decades worth of writing & stories for hundreds of characters interacting with one another. At some point its just easier to 'ignore' some of the history than forcibly shoehorn them all to align with one another.

Like I stated earlier necessary retcons are OK if they are done with taste and respect to characters & readers.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Reboots are a restart, this is more of a result of things leading up. It's not earth's crash together and a reset button is pushed but instead, worlds collide and this is what's left behind. I'm excited for what could be done and can't wait.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supremehyperion: Which begs to question... Would Marvel's house of ideas have the guts to keep Earth like this instead of eventually returning everything 'right' with our favourite blue mud ball?

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinikettu: I don't mind history retcons either, like Punisher being in the Iraq War instead of Vietnam.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: I'm not denying you don't have a point here mate or that your info is inaccurate yet but DC said they were going to keep their previous continuity in the New 52 and look what happened there.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I got ya mate. :D For now since I don't remember Marvel ever telling a major lie about something, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Can I ask why you mind Marvel rebooting their universe yet you don't seem to mind DC rebooting their every so often?

@lukehero: I agree with lvenger in saying that Marvel going to reboot. They been to intoxicated with how good their MCU has been that they been dying to make their comics basically mirror it. I play the waiting game and see what going to happen and then decide if I ever read a other Marvel book in the future.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jestersmiles: Nah, I highly doubt that, and massing all of the universes together isn't a move towards making anything like the MCU. In fact they directly addressed that subject about making things similar to MCU and shot it down at the live announcement.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Jestersmiles

@lukehero: But you yourself have said how they trying to uncut fox by killing characters that they don't own the rights to. I mean they had a poster celebrating 75 year sof marvel and the x-men and FF4 weren't even on it. You know who where? Guardians and Inhumans, I mean come on? If they are that petty to do that , how are they above lying to their fans and rebooting the whole thing come March?

Heck I sure the only reason Spiderman was there is because he the mascot, pretty sure if they could have they would have put someone else on the poster. Like I said I am not sold on them not rebooting the whole thing.

I wait and see.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jestersmiles: Undercutting isn't the same thing mate. Battleworld would make their Marvel Comic verse as different from the filmverse as it could get.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I have a feeling that Marvel is simply going to use this event as a way to do a partial reboot. They won't reboot everything, but use Secret Wars as a way to path the way for a "new" Marvel Universe where history/continuity has simply been tweaked and characters will be slightly different origin-wise. It's a great way to clean-house, change certain characters and give them a modern update, while still keeping that's characters history intact for the most part.

That's ultimately what I see this leading to.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Jestersmiles

@lukehero I am still worried about picking up she thor book, for it to be dropped after battle world

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UHypocrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UGH!

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good thing its not a reboot. But it'll suck if some 616 characters get removed.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lukehero: Well wish me luck, I just took the plunge. Here crossing my fingers.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It smells like a reboot. Sounds like a reboot. Looks like a reboot. But isn't. Marvel is just throwing out a whole lot of alternate universes and What Ifs and saying it's the dawning of a new age. A chance for new fans to jump in and feel a part of something from the ground up.

Not a reboot, reboot. Got it.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jestersmiles: You obviously haven't seen my posts in the Superman & DC forums. Trust me when I say that I'm far from a fan of DC's New 52 reboot as well. I similarly dislike DC's loss of continuity, history, the license taken at needlessly revamping fan favourite characters e.g Wally West and Tim Drake, the grim and gritty tone utilised across most of its heroes instead of a balance between light and dark characters etc.

Suffice to say I'm far from a fan of the New 52 as well. But the reason I'm still reading a few DC comics and none from Marvel is a biased and subjective reason. It's that I grew up with DC, its superheroes, its cartoons and its comics more than I did with Marvel. I have more of a connection with DC so I still have some blind hope that I can read the good comics they put out and hope that they do better. That and the fact Marvel aren't treating my favourite characters well IMO e.g Spider-Man, Thor, Captain America.

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Jestersmiles

@lvenger: Thank you for answering :).

On Thor : While I am a fan on Female power houses, it seems cheap what they did to him to just make a new character. Hopefully they can get Thor back to his former glory and this new characters gets her own name and can move on from this to do her own thing.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Y you know like black Wally West, racist!!! (JK :p).