Is Marvel and DC flat out better than Indies?

• 90 results
Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

@lyrafay said:

It really depends, I do enjoy some mainstream ones (admittedly I haven't read comics for that long) such as Batman (which is my favs and he's one character you're generally going to get a good story). However I have been slowly getting into indies from Dark Horse, first-second and does Vertigo count? etc. All bring something new and refreshing to the world of comics. But at the end of the day, its what you like. However you could blame for the quality dip in comics partly due to the companies owning are more focused on them being in some part of media, the new 52 Aquaman basically screams film adaptation while you're reading it.

I agree with this, especially with most of the comic books nowadays trying to be exactly like the films, which can come with consequences depending on how the movies play out.

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By JulieDC

Well, it depends on what you are looking for. I explicitly read Marvel and DC for specific heroes so there really isn't anything indies can do to change that. I sometimes think that people prop up the indies a little too much or at least seem to be more forgiving of their flaws and mistakes than they are with Marvel or DC. I also don't really like independent stuff as much because what I've read so far hasn't impressed me, most of it seemed to be an experiment in how much gore, sex, and cuss words they could get away with in one story. I have a threshold for how much of that stuff I can take in a story before I lose interest. However, I won't necessarily say DC or Marvel are better than the Indies, they just produce more of what I am looking for than the indies do.

CyberRonin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'd have to say, it doesn't really matter who the publisher is. It matters who's telling the story, what story they're telling, and how well they do it. Although, as a general rule, I find Marvel's single issue tend to read better than most singles from other companies. I only read DC, Indies, and manga in trade format because that way I can experience the whole story at once, which is just better for series like GL, Green Hornet Year One, Earth-2, Yu-Gi-Oh! and so on. When DC, Dynamite, and such companies put out stories, each issue sorta leans on the other issues in the arc. With Marvel, I can pick up an single of Nova or Moon Knight and get a story which although not entirely complete does have a defined beginning, middle, and end with a specific conflict that is resolved within the issue.

That can probably be chalked up to the authors that the different publishing houses tend to hire more often, though. Warren Ellis can do a really good single issue, while Matt Wagner is a lot stronger when making arcs than one shots. So, in short, authors really matter a lot more than companies for story quality. As an aside, it'd be nice to see more stories that don't hinge on vigilantes or mature themes from all the publishers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I enjoy a solid mix of all the companies.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a lot of shitty Indie books even though the indie hipsters won't admit it

I read Indie books too but I prefer the Big 2 mainly due to the fact I get more books that I'm interested in from them

bigtewell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok so here's just a few of my viewpoints on the subject:

In support of indie title:

1.Indie comics tend to be just the stories of their main writer. Unlike most marvel and dc comics most indies are meant to have a beginning a middle and then reach a conclusion to the series when the writer is done. even if this takes like 20 years most do have an ending and its a complete story.

2.Indie comics do not have as many rules to follow as marvel and dc. so this means little or no censorship. for me this is good bc they can say what feels natural and do not have to be p.c

3.Since most indie comics arent too popular to the main populace they do not have to keep to the public's opinion of a general status quo for the character. like the marvel books are trying to make their characters similar to their movie portrayals so they cant give the characters drastic developments so things like superior spiderman have to eventually go back to the normal spiderman ways. death is likely to be permanent so a loss actually feels like a big loss

4.since indie comics generally have a smaller fanbase their writers are a bit closer to their fans. i know this isnt the case with every writer but this seems to be more comic with indie writers.

Against indie titles:

1. Indie titles do not have to follow the same rules as marvel and dc. So that means they do not have deadlines and can basically do whatever they want. I remember when image was starting out i waited like 6months for a new issue of a series. so while you can argue "i would rather wait for a better quality book then have a crap one every month" but generally they werent that impressive and then they would pump out books 5 times a month to catch up with declining quality. So while not every indie title is like this they have the potential to be. I know some marvel and dc books have delays but they are generally consistent.

2. Since their stories are generally one big story by the writer you cant really take a break and just jump back in. i tried that with fables and had to go back and read the 5 issues i missed because i was so lost. So if it is a long series you have to usually go back and start from an early point. Marvel and dc are a bit more forgiving with recaps and jumping on points.

3.Indie comics can be greedy (like totally unfair greedy). Like how i mentioned before with waiting 6 months for the next issue that same writer when he released the next issue decided to also release about 12 variant issues with a jacked up price so if you were a big fan you would spend over $100 to complete your collection of that issue.

4. the security of marvel and dc. you know that marvel is not going to go bankrupt and you know pretty much every title of marvel and dc you read will conclude. with indies you have the risk of it going bankrupt or being cancelled mid arc so you never have a conclusion. like when a show ends on a cliff hanger

so those are my thoughts. i personally love indie titles but i dont subscribe. I recommend fables,invincible, and 100 bullets to everyone

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

Depends. For superhero titles, yes, the big two dominate. For virtually every other genre of comics, other studios or independents are better.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58  Edited By Wyldsong

The big two pretty much have the brand name recognition factor, and are at least for the most part, reliable on getting their books out in a timely manner. Their stories and art aren't necessarily better, there is an overabundance of continuity and history issues to deal with, and originality is a precious commodity that is sorely lacking in many of their titles. The problem is, for most readers, their introduction into the world of comics is generally going to be either through Marvel or DC. They have been around forever and again, they have the brand name recognition factor going for them with a plethora of cartoons, movies, toys, games, and so on.

Some indie titles are hit or miss. If you get introduced into one of the bad ones, then I can see where it would leave a bad taste in your mouth for the lesser known companies and send you running back into the arms of the big two. The thing is though, there really, truly are a great deal of indie titles that do really shine, and get it right (they will remain largely undiscovered, as they do not have the tag of Marvel or DC on the cover). I was someone who came to this site as strictly a Marvel guy...the majority of my reading in modern days is now indie titles.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@wolverine08 said:

Yes, mainstream comics definitely are automatically superior by virtue of their visible logos and characters. Storytelling and quality of the comic do not matter whatsoever, if Marvel or DC is printed on the left side of the comic's front cover, they are the superior comic. Indie comics will continue to be crushed under the innately superior quality of mainstream comics for the entirety of existence. Don't resist this inherent and simple fact of life. Join the dark side.

#STAYMAINSTREAM

Carycomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

### When it comes to coming out with their promised issues with relative punctuality, I would have to give the edge to Marvel and DC. If for no other reason than this: WAR OF THE INDEPENDENTS. Dave Ryan had been hyping that six-issue trendsetter since 2008. But, the first issue never got mass marketed until the fall of 2011! I collected the first three issues. Then, nothing. It was as if Mr. Ryan had pulled a Straczynski (see Marvel's THE TWELVE). And, I said as much in the first of two e-mail inquiries of the Red Anvil website, back in the fall of 2013. They kindly replied--the first time--that the mini-series would resume in early 2014. Well, last week (realizing that April is closer to mid-2014), I inquired whether the mass marketing of WOTI Number 4 had been pushed back. Their second kindly reply not only confirmed this. It also stated that a promised tie-in issue (then-working title WOTI Number 2.5)would now be retitled SHADOWFLAME Number 1!

Ergo: the one down-side to creator-owned properties would seem to be conflicts of schedules and interests. Resulting, more than not, in almost-intolerable delays and, thus, disappointments for many fans of the indie heroes and villains in questions. Something you do _not_ get, that often, with the Big Two.

wmarshal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 559

@indiecomicsftw: Honestly the problem is that Marvel & DC are just bigger names. The comics are of no better quality or the characters its just not many people venture into the unknown.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I see Marvel/DC comics as the trashy blockbuster films of the comic book medium.

Carycomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Carycomic

@Guru Crack: they may not be quality. But, I repeat: their punctuality leaves a lot less to be desired compared to unpredictable indies.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guru_crack You have a message.

@carycomic You'll need to use the reply function if you want specific users to know you're talking to them.

As far as this topic is concerned, no. Indies can be as good as mainstream. Currently I'd say indies are blowing the big 2 (particularly Marvel) out of the park. On the whole Marvel and DC have household names that are beloved which gives them a big advantage. Everybody knows who Bruce Wayne and Peter Parker are. Fewer know who Mark Grayson is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Ninjak disagrees

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many won't like this, but few things have disappointed me more than so-called "Indie Comics". While they have some great stuff (If you want to call vertigo Independent, I guess you can, to me, they're DC.) I find that Indie comics simply get away with more from readers. Example: I read the first few issues of Harbinger, (Valiant) because of the hype from this page. It was bad. Had DC done that comic it's been called an X-Men rip-off (which it was) Had Marvel done it, it would've been re-hashing the X-Men. (I mean powered old wise man sets up "school" for folks with special powers, c'mon) I sometimes think folks think it's classier or more artistic to like Independents over Marvel and DC, than you don't sound mainstream. Some Indie comics I've read are simply characters using profanity and having sex because they can. I'll give the Indie fans credit for loyalty though. Someone says they don't like Superman or Spider-man...and we accept that. Try telling folks you didn't much care for "Invincible" and you'll get berated for clearly having "no taste" Again, some are great and I've read a lot of them over the last 30 years. All-in-all, not a huge difference, especially if one acknowledges the bad Indie stuff that comes out as well as the good stuff. Too often folks want to compare ALL of Marvel and DC vs "Only the good Indie stuff." That's not really fair. (Emphasis mine, as I think that's what happens most of the time.) Now, as far as battles go..don't know, don't care. I'm talking only quality here.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carycomic: You really need to read some quality indie titles. I mean Valiant, IDW TMNT.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: It all depends on personal taste, personally I thought Harbinger was X-Men done right. I mean I prefer the old school team of X-Men from the cartoon, but have you tried reading X-Men comics from last 8 years they simply suck (don't know what they were like before) I honestly find Valiant ground there characters more. They seem to have set limits in what they can and can't do (at least for now).

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: It all depends on personal taste, personally I thought Harbinger was X-Men done right. I mean I prefer the old school team of X-Men from the cartoon, but have you tried reading X-Men comics from last 8 years they simply suck (don't know what they were like before) I honestly find Valiant ground there characters more. They seem to have set limits in what they can and can't do (at least for now).

I actually quit reading X-Men in the 80's. I do think the Claremont/Byrne X-Men were far superior to Harbinger, which I think was bad for more than just being an X-Men rip-off. You're right though, it is personal preference...what in comics isn't?

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, definitely not. I primarily read Marvel and DC because I like the style that their writing but indie comics are less likely to do things like make large events just to haul in the cash.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: Yea true although it also depends on when you jump into a story. As some stories I didn't like at first but they grew on me.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By derekvang

In my opinion, as of right now, I think Marvel and DC aren't really doing all that great. I mean I still read a couple of their books and I enjoy it and all but most of the books that I read nowadays are books from like Image, Valiant, BOOM!, and etc. because I personally think that the writers and artists actually have and put in their own creativity into creator owned books and always come up with new things that you wouldn't have ever excepted to happen and that's what makes Indie books better overall compared to superhero books nowadays

Avatar image for deactivated-57af58bda2d61
deactivated-57af58bda2d61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Anything is better then Spawn

Omega-Titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#76  Edited By kcomicfan

Yes IMO Mavel and DC books are WAY better then Indie books

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All good and bad in their own ways.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Better Stories? Probably not. Better run companies? Yes, of course.

Avatar image for greatkirbysghost
GreatKirbysGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no OP

Avatar image for greatkirbysghost
GreatKirbysGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crom_cruach said:

It's the other way around, other companies blow Marvel and Dc out of the water in quality.

No Caption Provided

BB

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Harbinger is nothing like X-Men

Carycomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Carycomic

@guru_crack:

I have read plenty of IDW issues. But, again, their distribution consecutively leaves a lot to be desired. Complete gaps in limited series like INFESTATION 2. Something that Marvel and DC still can't be legitimately accused of.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I love some of Top Cow's characters but I think some of their characters need to progress a bit, like Spawn(Al Simmons).I think it's time to move him past whining about Wanda.I'm enjoying the new series and I'll admit I'm not Spawn an expert on Spawn but most times I've seen him in the past he's whining about her.I'm sad that Witchblade is ending,I never liked Ron Marz's take on her but I've enjoyed the character of Sara Pezzini and Jackie Estacado.I'm also a big fan of Magdalena(Patience).I think Marvel and DC have become way too gimmicky for me.I'm getting more into Valliant.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comics have fallen. During the 80s and 90s, there was a huge push. Now the internet and phones have pushed comics back to the sidelines.

It didn't help that there was a huge push for 'creator owned' characters that so many had forgotten that the artist isn't working alone. (Image being the biggest mess of missed deadlines and nonsensical 'stories' that you can imagine.)

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mainstream has quantity. Indies has quality.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carycomic: True its annoying when things get cancelled that you enjoyed. I enjoyed reading G.I Zombie but that got cancelled unfortunately.

Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carycomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guru_crack:

So, for instance, the (undeniably needless) remake of CONAN THE BARBARIAN is merely more popular than the original? :P

Carycomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends I like to mix between the two.

Me, too. Because, in all fairness, the pros and cons incessantly see-saw. And, chief among them, as stated above? While Marvel and DC have better (= more punctual) distribution, the indies have--currently--better quality stories.

Carycomic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Carycomic

I guess you can feel free to lock this topic.