How powerful is this character?

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This thread is for people who can't seem to get a grip on a certain characters power level.

Just generally ask about a character, and if someone knows how powerful they are, try to clarify for that person.

I admit I made this thread for selfish reasons, namely dr fate, carnage and Rhino.

What's the deal with dr fate? Sometimes I hear he's superman level, sometimes surfer level, but I've never seen him do something that level.

And what about carnage? I've seen kaine seriously hurt him, and agent venom cut him in half, but I've also heard he's a 50 tonner who classic kaine could hurt at best.

And rhino? I hear he's a 75 tonner who isn't street level, so how does Spider-Man even hurt him?

Feel free to ask about your own confusions.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@highaccuser: Dr Fate has fought Spectre. He's a force of nature.
Carnage should massacre agent venom, but he is mostly just the high end of street levelers.
Rhino should destroy most street levelers but he's a f#cking idiot and he jobs like he's Killer Croc

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bflynn316: I'm pretty sure fate has never fought spectre post crisis, unless you mean Nabu.

bflynn316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bflynn316: I'm pretty sure fate has never fought spectre post crisis, unless you mean Nabu.

True, but he should still be at least Silver Surfer level. Especially classic Fate.

theodixon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By theodixon9

@highaccuser: I too am not sure about Doctor Fate's power level however I've some knowledge on the other two. In his first appearance, I think I remember Carnage taking on both Spider-Man and Venom. Even then, Reed Richards had to be called in to assist the pair with a sonic weapon. Recently, I think age might be taking it's toll on Carnage a bit and Venom has been shown able to hold up against the his son. He's still considerably more powerful than his dad though. As for Rhino he may be very strong but I don't think he's particularly durable. Guys like Captain America have taken him down:

No Caption Provided

I've got a question of my own: current Doctor Strange. How powerful is he? Any straight up battling feats?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kgb725

@theodixon9: Cap took down the Hulk too so Rhino shouldn't be a problem.

Carnage can battle any street leveler

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man is above "street level" in my opinion. He just holds back so much.

@theodixon9 He hit him in sort of a weak spot. Cap is atleast a 1 tonner so a hit to the nose should still do a decent amount of damage compared to if he hit him anywhere else that's actually covered.

ShenKuei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShenKuei

@theodixon9: I don't necessarily think a toll has been taken on Carnage. Venom has gotten more powerful than he used to be. As for Dr. Strange it's hard to say since he just recently got his title of Sorcerer Supreme back and should be roughly as powerful as he used to be a few years ago (prior to WWH). Prior to this, Dr. Strange had been depowered to the point where he was more less street level.

@highaccuser said:

This thread is for people who can't seem to get a grip on a certain characters power level.

Just generally ask about a character, and if someone knows how powerful they are, try to clarify for that person.

I admit I made this thread for selfish reasons, namely dr fate, carnage and Rhino.

What's the deal with dr fate? Sometimes I hear he's superman level, sometimes surfer level, but I've never seen him do something that level.

And what about carnage? I've seen kaine seriously hurt him, and agent venom cut him in half, but I've also heard he's a 50 tonner who classic kaine could hurt at best.

And rhino? I hear he's a 75 tonner who isn't street level, so how does Spider-Man even hurt him?

Feel free to ask about your own confusions.

There are several versions of Dr. Fate and his power level varies depending on which version you are talking about. The most powerful was Silver Age Fate who was indeed very powerful, comparable to classic Dr. Strange.

50 tons is about right for Carnage. Classic Kaine's exact strength level is unknown, he may not be as powerful as he is now. More to the point current Kaine and Agent Venom are 30+ tonners and symbiotes are more resistant to blunt force than cutting or stabbing. So I don't think that's inconsistent.

Rhino is indeed a 70 tonner according to handbooks and he has clashed with Hulk a few times to prove it but writers often make him job as well. Spidey himself although officially only a 10 tonner has feats of strength that would put him in a much higher class (like holding up the Bugle building) so it's not too far-fetched that he would be able to hurt Rhino if determined enough. Your mileage may vary on how plausible that is when it happens though, you could chalk it up to bad writing. Spidey usually beats him by outsmarting him somehow or webbing him up anyway.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@theodixon9: Rhino is very durable. The scan you posted for him is just a low showing. An infamous one at that.

theodixon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By theodixon9

Okay, so maybe I was exaggerating a bit when I said Rhino isn't particularly durable. But compared to others of his strength class, he doesn't seem able to take a lot of damage. Luke Cage has been able to "one shot" him before (although I don't if the issue was canon so do enlighten me):

No Caption Provided

Luke's a tough guy but one hit? I know he's taken She-Hulk with a punch but she wasn't bracing herself and he had time to focus on technique as the two weren't battling.

Rhino's also been taken down by the Punisher:

No Caption Provided

A lot of other characters who can lift the same amount as Rhino (Doc Samson kind of level I would think) would probably be able to shrug off a miniature explosive, even from such close range, whereas it hurts him quite a lot.