Grant Morrison calls Batman "very, very gay"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

This was simply too good to not share for discussion.  The legendary writer had an interview with Playboy (the link is safe for work, I promise) and spoke his mind about a variety of comic book characters.  But, what's drawing attention are his remarks about The Dark Knight.

Morrison:  “I got interested in the class element of Batman: He’s a rich man who beats up poor people. It’s quite a bizarre mission to go out at night dressed as a bat and punch the hell out of junkies. And then he goes home and lives in this mansion. There’s an aspirational quality to him—he’s an outlaw and he can buy anything. He has a new Batmobile every movie. He’s very plutonian in the sense that he’s wealthy and also in the sense that he’s sexually deviant. Gayness is built into Batman. I’m not using gay in the pejorative sense, but Batman is very, very gay. There’s just no denying it. Obviously as a fictional character he’s intended to be heterosexual, but the basis of the whole concept is utterly gay. I think that’s why people like it. All these women fancy him and they all wear fetish clothes and jump around rooftops to get to him. He doesn’t care—he’s more interested in hanging out with the old guy and the kid.” 

Do you agree with Morrison?  And more importantly, does it even matter?  Would you like Batman any less if they one day decide to have him come out of the closet?  Personally, I don't think sexual preference should hold any impact on liking/disliking a character, but naturally, not everyone sees eye-to-eye on that.  And for the love of The One Above All, please don't turn this into a religious debate.  That never goes well.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Erik

:O

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By SupremeHyperion

wow, amazing. Batman still wins every battle because now no one will want to get in close.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Gambit1024

There was a thread somewheres on here that already discussed this. I'm too lazy to look for it, so I'll just repeat what I said, lol.

I know he's not gay, but does it really matter? Like, if he were to come out tomorrow, I simply wouldn't care. As long as he's not attracted to any of his sons, villains, Jim Gordon, or Alfred, I wouldn't be against the change in sexual preference. In fact, I think if he did come out, I'd be even more interested in him, to be quite honest. Either get serious with a woman, or be gay: just give me something to feel concerned about while reading a Batman comic. It needs a new element, imo.

But, this is all my own personal opinion, so don't bash me and my thoughts :P

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Lvenger

Well at least it explains why a rich billionaire spends all of his non crime fighting time with his old butler and several children.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX
Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Strider1992

Midnighter is gay and he's one of the most badass characters I can think off. Batman being gay wouldn't really change my view of him. In fact i'd actually be more interested in reading his books rofl! BatmanXSuperman ftw lol?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Strider92 said:

Midnighter is gay and he's one of the most badass characters I can think off. Batman being gay wouldn't really change my view of him. In fact i'd actually be more interested in reading his books rofl! BatmanXSuperman ftw lol?

If Batman was gay I wouldn't read the book anymore.Some times one little tweak ruins the character.
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Lvenger said:

Well at least it explains why a rich billionaire spends all of his non crime fighting time with his old butler and several children.

That would imply Batman's a pedophile, not just gay.

Also his old butler is his father figure.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Gambit1024

@Strider92 said:

No. I'm all for Batman being gay, straight, bi, whatever. But don't drag other characters with him, lol.

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mega_spidey01

If Batman was gay I wouldn't read the book anymore.Some times one little tweak ruins the character.

if ain't broke don't fix it.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Strider1992

@Gambit1024 said:

No. I'm all for Batman being gay, straight, bi, whatever. But don't drag other characters with him, lol.

Nah the Superman thing was just for tuh lolz

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Sorry K4tz this is a dupe.