Does Captain America belong on the Avengers?

• 78 results
Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Does Captain America belong on the Avengers? (116 votes)

Yes 84%
No 16%

You knew this was coming.

Obviously this thread is inspired by the one asking if Batman belongs on the Justice League. I figured I'd see if the people who think Batman doesn't belong in the JL feel the same way about Cap on the Avengers. I don't think I've ever seen a thread like this or seen anyone ever ask so I'm curious to see what people say. Just so you know I'm not trying to bash Cap,I do think he belongs on the Avengers his leadership and strategic mind are very useful.

• 
Edstone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look ma, I AM THE MAJORITY! Seriously though, I think you answered your own question:)

WeAreMany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Iron man and black panther.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Yes.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Of course he does.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real question is why is Thor usually a part of the Avengers? He's way too powerful for most of their challenges to well.. Challenge him. And he has an entire universe to fight space monsters in.

Captain America isn't the Batman of the Avengers because the Avengers usually consists of street to mid-level heroes with one or two heavy hitters, where as the Justice League is usually six heavy hitters and one street leveler. They are almost polar opposites in terms of group compilation.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Nope,he offers nothing,just hand his shield over to Thor or Tony.

Of course he does.

Compare this post with your own statement on the exact same topic except with Batman :

No. But his worshippers would b*tch about it.

Double standards and duplicity much?

ggrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course he does. Captain America is enhanced human with WEAPONS, unlike some character named Batman, who is ONLY A HUMAN with TOYS, and whiny to boot.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@ggrocks: Very whiny. I think he should loosen up and grow a pair, you know?

bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bgibs13390
No Caption Provided

This issue has been brought up in multiple story lines. Cap isn't on the team because he is the most powerful or the smartest. He is the heart and soul of the team. He is the leader. He is the moral center. He has the tactical mind to come up with the plans of attack. He can inspire others to be better just by being around him. Not to mention because of his Super Soldier Serum he is more powerful than Batman and his shield is the perfect counter to a lot of powerful attacks so he is plenty useful in a fight. However, above and beyond all of that is his persona and his character. He is looked up to and respected by everyone. He has a voice that can and does command gods. In the middle of a fight you want a leader you can trust completely and won't hesitate to do whatever they say. When a man gives commands and Thor listens you don't question his right to lead let alone be on a team. Here is a good article about it http://www.comicsprofessor.com/2011/04/a-voice-that-could-command-a-god-captain-america-and-the-stoics.html

ggrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnny_blaze:

Difference between Batman and Captain America

BatmanCaptain America
No weapons, no guns, only plays with toysStar-spangled shield lays the smackdown, doesn't shy away from guns
Coward who doesn't even have the guts to kill JokerCourageous soldier
Whiny manchild who can't let go of the pastPatriotic, fights for the American way
Merely humanEnhanced human abilities

Now tell me people, does Batman fit in Justice League better than Captain America fits in the Avengers?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Cap: "Look at them, how they argue, can't they see we're on the same side? You don't win wars by firing at your fellow allies."

Bats: "Bunch of idiots, bickering back and forth, trying to bait each other."

Cap: "Good thing we're above all this, eh, Batman?"

Bats: "Yes, people have been trying to get us to fight for years, to no avail...but in case it does happen, I have a plan."

Cap: "What?? Ho-"

Bats: "I'M BATMAN!"

No Caption Provided

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bgibs13390: This man knows what he's talking about!!!!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I was trying trolling Batfans because they're easy targets and they make me sick. You're dismissed.

So you're a troll by your own admission? good to know.

@ggrocks said:

@johnny_blaze:

BatmanCaptain America
No weapons, no guns, only plays with toysStar-spangled shield lays the smackdown, doesn't shy away from guns
Whiny manchild who can't let go of the pastPatriotic, fights for the American way

Now tell me people, does Batman fit in Justice League better than Captain America fits in the Avengers?

Atleast Batman wasn't created as propaganda nor did he use roids to become who he is,not to mention your description of Batman being a merely human coward is completely off.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koshi_waza88: Off the top of my head, I'm thinking Hawkeye, Luke Cage, Black Widow, Wasp, and Black Panther.

Maybe call them, War Cry?

And no.

He belongs on The Justice League.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jack Donaghy

@ggrocks said:

@johnny_blaze:

BatmanCaptain America

So I guess Hawkeye and Black Widow (mere humans) don't belong on the Avengers then right? You're clearly trolling poorly might I add don't even know why I humored your stupidity.

@johnny_blaze said:

@entropy_aegis: I was trying trolling Batfans because they're easy targets and they make me sick. You're dismissed.

That makes you look like a butthurt loser tbh. Fans of a fictional character bother you to the point you feel compelled to troll them. Sad and pathetic. I bet you have a Batman voodoo doll and slam the door in the face of trick or treaters that dress as Batman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't think it comes down to powers because both are street levellers. Let's look at this way:

Batman is a leader and a tactician. Lord knows he can make plans in his bat cave till the universe ends. However most of the time batman hides things from his team and even plans their downfall so he can fulfil some psychotic need to be superior but I digress. His main function was that of funding the league but since we now have lex luthor and aqua man he's not needed. On the other hand we have Captain America. A fantastic leader and a bonafide war general, he's led troops before and most of the time to victory. He doesn't hide his concerns and he always believes in his team even when we have a crazy rage monster on his team. His voice is powerful and people listen not out of fear but out of respect. Sure he was created to embody the american way but not how we see it today. He believes in justice and doesn't cower away from anything. And on the topic of authority and justice; batman represents authority to a fault. And according to the internet we should be fighting authority, but again I digress.

The main point is that Captain America is the heart and soul of the Avengers. He is morally upright and will not sacrifice his ideals. He's willing to trust his team with his life and unlike the aforementioned psychopath he doesn't give up on them. Per example, in the avengers: earth's mightiest heroes he was able to prove his unflinching trust in the hulk and showed the hulk that people believed in him. What would batman do? Prep? Batman is a fantastic character but he doesn't belong on a team. He belongs in the darkness fighting crime from within and tracking down other psychopaths. That's where his best stories come from. With the justice league I believe people like Aquaman can better suit the role of tactician. And if we need technology then why don't we turn to the alien from an advanced civilisation who has some of the coolest toys ever seen. At the end of the day however batman will never be taken of the justice league because DC believe he is their main ace in the hole. Simple as.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

Duh

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By MakkyD

People really have to ask this question? He is the Avengers. Until he was resurrected, the avengers were in a mess and at a breaking point, mistrusted by both each other and the public, cap turned them into the beast they are today.

He stuck around with the avengers , even when he was the only original to stick out the first major switch-up with a bunch of ex-criminals. His nickname is even The First Avenger.

Avatar image for just_an_average_man
Just_an_average_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap: "Look at them, how they argue, can't they see we're on the same side? You don't win wars by firing at your fellow allies."

Bats: "Yes, people have been trying to get us to fight for years, to no avail...but in case it does happen, I have a plan."

No Caption Provided

+1

VMole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same answer like I have Batman, sure, but his role should be highly dependent on context.

When doing low-intensity work, he'd be fine on the field, anything that should logically have him squished like a bug should see him in a backseat leadership position away from the danger.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By EyeDCyou

@ggrocks said:

@johnny_blaze:

BatmanCaptain America

Geez that's not biased at all..

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

If it comes down to it, Cap is the only one that really belongs on the Avengers.

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leadership position. They seem to stress that almost every time he's among super powered beings that could kill him with a finger.

69ball-z-deep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By 69ball-z-deep
LenSnart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LenSnart

he's one of the greatest tactical minds on the planet, so yeah obviously useless to any fighting team :p

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

There's a difference between being super duper strong and being a competent leader. If being strong is all there is, Thor would have been the leader a long time ago.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

The "Captain" in his name isn't just to sound cool, y'know

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Spidey_Jackson

Of course. He's arguably the leader.

Beata

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ggrocks said:

@johnny_blaze:

BatmanCaptain America

PREPARE YOUR JIMMIES!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lensnart said:

he's one of the greatest tactical minds on the planet, so yeah obviously useless to any fighting team :p

Prove it,Cap is as smart as an average hero,shouting Avengers Assemble doesn't make you a strategist. Next up Falcon,the greatest leader and tactical mastermind evah,it's a gimmick,character trait not an ability.

And even if he is who cares,Thor has been fighting for thousands of years,he has more experience and is thus better suited to lead. Tony is a genius,he can learn anything Cap can do in days.

Cap is useless to the Avengers period.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lensnart said:

Prove it,Cap is as smart as an average hero,shouting Avengers Assemble doesn't make you a strategist. Next up Falcon,the greatest leader and tactical mastermind evah,it's a gimmick,character trait not an ability.

And even if he is who cares,Thor has been fighting for thousands of years,he has more experience and is thus better suited to lead. Tony is a genius,he can learn anything Cap can do in days.

Well, he's better than Batman. At least he's got that going for him.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

@lensnart said:

Better at what? and what's up with the Bat obsession? it's like users here feel compelled to knock Batman down to prop their own beloved characters.

Batman>Cap America,Cap only barely has a physical advantage,Batman trumps him in everything else.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juke said:

@ggrocks said:

@johnny_blaze:

BatmanCaptain America

PREPARE YOUR JIMMIES!

My jimmies would've been rustled if it was an educated post lol,as it stands it's just a poor attempt at trolling by an ignorant git who wants his favorite character to be the alpha dog.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how this turned into a Cap fans vs Batman fans thread.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@havenless said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@lensnart said:

Better at what? and what's up with the Bat obsession? it's like users here feel compelled to knock Batman down to prop their own beloved characters.

Batman>Cap America,Cap only barely has a physical advantage,Batman trumps him in everything else.

Cap is much less popular than Batman thus some people feel cool and unique for liking him and not Batman. Like people who will whine Superman is too powerful but brag about Silver Surfer's feats, there's clearly a double standard against popular and iconic characters. This isn't the case for everyone obviously but it's clear that when we constantly hear people say Batman doesn't belong on the Justice League but never hear the same about Cap and the Avengers, that popularity is a factor. Like you said the only edge Cap has over Batman is a minor physical edge and even then Batman if he wanted to could just make a armor that makes him much stronger than Cap. Nobody can honestly say Cap is more useful than Batman yet Batman's usefulness is always questioned and Cap's never is. You don't have to be Reed Richards to figure out it's no coincidence the more popular one gets more criticism than the less popular one.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

@havenless said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@lensnart said:

Cap is much less popular than Batman thus some people feel cool and unique for liking him and not Batman. Like people who will whine Superman is too powerful but brag about Silver Surfer's feats, there's clearly a double standard against popular and iconic characters. This isn't the case for everyone obviously but it's clear that when we constantly hear people say Batman doesn't belong on the Justice League but never hear the same about Cap and the Avengers, that popularity is a factor. Like you said the only edge Cap has over Batman is a minor physical edge and even then Batman if he wanted to could just make a armor that makes him much stronger than Cap. Nobody can honestly say Cap is more useful than Batman yet Batman's usefulness is always questioned and Cap's never is. You don't have to be Reed Richards to figure out it's no coincidence the more popular one gets more criticism than the less popular one.

This thread has alteast exposed the hypocrisy of the viners, I just love how "leadership" is the only thing Cap brings to the table and it supposedly trumps the leadership of a polymath/genius/billionaire.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to say this,a characters usefulness is dictated by plot not ability. Even the most useful character may end doing nothing if the plot doesn't need him,case in point Spectre in Blackest Night.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-6137545428734
deactivated-6137545428734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Captain America deserves to be on the Avengers just as much as Batman deserves to be on the Justice League.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman said:

No Caption Provided

+1

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Havenless

@entropy_aegis said:

@jack_donaghy said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@havenless said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@lensnart said:

This thread has alteast exposed the hypocrisy of the viners, I just love how "leadership" is the only thing Cap brings to the table and it supposedly trumps the leadership of a polymath/genius/billionaire.

Namecalling. Now you've convinced me you're right.

LenSnart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lensnart said:

Kree- skrull war, Operation: Galactic storm, Infinity, Siege, and Civil war, not to mention countless avenger and secret avenger battles were all successful campaigns which Cap has led,(well maybe not civil war, but they were winning before Cap surrendered) yes led as in he created the battle plans. He's a good strategist and leader, it's canon. Simple as.

And maybe you're right, maybe Thor logically should be a better leader with all his experience, but he's not, that's not his character. And Tony is a genius he might logically be a better leader as well, but he's not. These are comic books, not the most logical things around; in the real world Cap would be useless to the Avengers as would Batman to the Justice League, but it's not the real world it's comic books.

Cap belongs on the Avengers because he's a very capable tactician and leader, it might not make sense that he is, but he is.

WeAreMany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Tex_The_Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Tex_The_Slayer

Just like Bruce, Steve is most likely in the top 3 most important people on his team. Without him... well tony would lead the Avengers into the ground

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#49  Edited By westy206

Of course Cap fits in the Avengers and is essential. Personally not a fan of his but Marvel give characters flaws, Iron Man thinks to politically, Thor tends to think with his hammer, Pym seems to get stressed and Hulk well is the Hulk. Captain Americas biggest flaw is not being that powerful but that doesn't mean he can't lead a team of more powerful beings. In a football (soccer) team the captain isn't that often the best player, it's the guy who understands the importancy of their actions and is able to rally the group this is what Captain America does.

As for Batman in the justice league it doesn't fit, never has done. Even as a young kid watching the cartoons I thought it was weird to have Batman in the team.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yes, he does.