Posted by G-Man (18920 posts) - - Show Bio

We've heard a lot about the upcoming wedding in ASTONISHING X-MEN. The main focus has been because it will be Northstar marrying his boyfriend, Kyle. This shouldn't be big or shocking news in the real world but in comics, same-sex marriage has only happened a few times. In those terms, this is a big deal for the world of the X-Men. It's been a long time coming and now we can all partake in the celebration.

We saw the proposal in ASTONISHING X-MEN #50. It didn't seem to go too well but somehow it appears the wedding will be taking place. Today, Marvel has released a first look at ASTONISHING X-MEN #51.

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at the hotly anticipated wedding of the year in Astonishing X-Men #51! From New York Times best-sellers Marjorie Liu and Mike Perkins, Astonishing X-Men #51features a who’s who of the Marvel Universe including some guests that may surprise you! Not only does this unforgettable issue feature covers by Dustin Weaver and Marko Djurdjevic, along with a special “Create Your Own Wedding” blank variant cover by Phil Noto, but select comic book retailers nationwide will host wedding parties at their stores to celebrate this joyous occasion! It’s the story that has everyone talking, and this June – witness Northstar and Kyle tie the knot, in Astonishing X-Men #51!

Plus! Head on over to Marvel.com to catch a very special episode of This Week In Marvel podcast, featuring Astonishing X-Men artist Mike Perkins!

ASTONISHING X-MEN #51 (APR120665)

Written by MARJORIE LIU

Art by MIKE PERKINS

Cover by DUSTIN WEAVER

Variant Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC

Create Your Own Wedding Variant by PHIL NOTO

Rated T+ …$3.99

On-Sale—6/20/12

== TEASER ==
#1 Posted by KainScion (2969 posts) - - Show Bio

they're really laying it thick arent they?

#2 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw.

Guess the controversy will be over soon.

Less fun for me.

#3 Posted by Mutant God (3080 posts) - - Show Bio

wonder twins powers activate: form of groom, form of best woman ... sorry just had to do it.

#4 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

Aw.

Less fun for me.

Dat Ivy.

#5 Posted by arsyn (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

Aw.

Less fun for me.

Until the honeymoon... !! :)

#6 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice to see Aurora again.

#7 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@arsyn said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Aw.

Less fun for me.

Until the honeymoon... !! :)

I like the way you think.

@ReVamp said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Aw.

Less fun for me.

Dat Ivy.

Dat Exwife.

#8 Posted by ReVamp (22798 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ReVamp said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Aw.

Less fun for me.

Dat Ivy.

Dat Exwife.

So the guy named after Poison Ivy is the dude? Seems legit.

#9 Posted by Overlander (553 posts) - - Show Bio

@KainScion: Yup.

Though it is being treated a lot like comic weddings between a man and a woman. Speaking of which, I loved the cover showing off the other weddings. Cool picture of Jean & Scott.

#10 Posted by Raiiyn (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mutant God said:

wonder twins powers activate: form of groom, form of best woman ... sorry just had to do it.

LOL

@lykopis said:

Nice to see Aurora again.

=) I can't wait to read this issue

#11 Edited by PhoenixoftheTides (3631 posts) - - Show Bio

Has Aurora figured out her personality issues, yet? She is so unstable that I would think that Alison would have made a better maid of honor for Jean Paul. Also, it seems kind of funny to attend a wedding wearing a costume.

#12 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

Really going all out with this event. Interesting to say the least!

#13 Posted by Namor1987 (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha Anole has that "screw this look" & Graymalkin is like "Oh hell yeah baby" lol. Look at some of the male characters they're like "hurry up with this". Dazzler is about to piss & crap herself from excitement. LOL I never cared for Northstar. IMHO he's a boring character like a French-Canadian downgraded version of Quicksilver. Nothing to do with his sexuality hell I like Anole & Graymalkin (both have cool powersets) but Northstar is just kind of a cliche hero with a sexuality twist.

#14 Posted by Bestostero (5590 posts) - - Show Bio

i could've sworn Aurora was dead? but then again this is comic so people come back all the time...havent really kept up with her, but i guess im glad she's alive? lol

#15 Posted by primepower53 (5591 posts) - - Show Bio

cool...?

#16 Posted by sora_thekey (8185 posts) - - Show Bio

Weren't all of the Alpha Flight members killed except for Northstar?

#17 Posted by Master_Thief (790 posts) - - Show Bio

Where's Peter and Mary Jane's Wedding come on even after one more day they should of still had a pic of it

#18 Posted by papad1992 (6793 posts) - - Show Bio

@sora_thekey said:

Weren't all of the Alpha Flight members killed except for Northstar?

Chaos War changed all of that!!

#19 Edited by Redberry (797 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it just me or one of the grooms wanting to commit suicide sometimes before the wedding is not a good sign for a healthy marriage?

Now if only Shatterstar and Rictor can tie the knot soon... Maybe in a few years down the line.

#20 Posted by jonnystorm777 (47 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: You love controversy!

#21 Posted by nappystr8 (1156 posts) - - Show Bio

That is one bold variant cover, I hope it's not a limited print cause that's definitely the one I want. It's great to see groups who are so often ignored or looked down upon in American's society and history receive representation in the comic book community, and as always Marvel is the one paving the way. Northstar was the first openly gay hero in mainstream superhero comics, and has been "out" for about 20 years, this doesn't feel like a gimmick or a sales push in anyway, but a natural progression of the character, and I can't wait to be part of this historical moment for the comic book medium by picking up a copy.

I may have never gotten into comics had their not been black characters like War Machine, Black Panther, Storm, John Stewart, and Blade who I could relate to. And it's always good to see that other often overlooked minorities also have someone they can relate to, be it Northstar, Wiccan, and Bunker for gay men; Batwoman and the second Question for lesbians, White Tiger and the third Blue Beetle for Latinos, or Asian characters like the most recent Atom or the upcoming new Weather Wizard who I can't wait to read.

Everyday the comic book pantheon starts to look more like the multicultural reality of the world, and it is a beautiful thing.

#22 Posted by AskaniSon295 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

All the Alphans came back during the Chaos War.

#23 Edited by Beserkerfury (153 posts) - - Show Bio

Disgusting,I hope all the issues burn in flames.

#24 Edited by LordRequiem (1323 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not approve of this.

#25 Posted by Redberry (797 posts) - - Show Bio

@nappystr8 said:

That is one bold variant cover, I hope it's not a limited print cause that's definitely the one I want. It's great to see groups who are so often ignored or looked down upon in American's society and history receive representation in the comic book community, and as always Marvel is the one paving the way. Northstar was the first openly gay hero in mainstream superhero comics, and has been "out" for about 20 years, this doesn't feel like a gimmick or a sales push in anyway, but a natural progression of the character, and I can't wait to be part of this historical moment for the comic book medium by picking up a copy.

I may have never gotten into comics had their not been black characters like War Machine, Black Panther, Storm, John Stewart, and Blade who I could relate to. And it's always good to see that other often overlooked minorities also have someone they can relate to, be it Northstar, Wiccan, and Bunker for gay men; Batwoman and the second Question for lesbians, White Tiger and the third Blue Beetle for Latinos, or Asian characters like the most recent Atom or the upcoming new Weather Wizard who I can't wait to read.

Everyday the comic book pantheon starts to look more like the multicultural reality of the world, and it is a beautiful thing.

QFT

#26 Posted by Raiiyn (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

@nappystr8 said:

Brilliant post...must follow...@Beserkerfury said:

Disgusting,I hope all the haters burn in flames.

FIXED =)

#27 Posted by Teerack (7459 posts) - - Show Bio

Could they draw out a more uninteresting plot?

#28 Posted by Redberry (797 posts) - - Show Bio

It's very interesting to me.

#29 Posted by KidSupreme (826 posts) - - Show Bio

cool