First Look: ASTONISHING X-MEN #51 & the Wedding of the Year

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

We've heard a lot about the upcoming wedding in ASTONISHING X-MEN. The main focus has been because it will be Northstar marrying his boyfriend, Kyle. This shouldn't be big or shocking news in the real world but in comics, same-sex marriage has only happened a few times. In those terms, this is a big deal for the world of the X-Men. It's been a long time coming and now we can all partake in the celebration.

We saw the proposal in ASTONISHING X-MEN #50. It didn't seem to go too well but somehow it appears the wedding will be taking place. Today, Marvel has released a first look at ASTONISHING X-MEN #51.

No Caption Provided
Marvel is pleased to present your first look at the hotly anticipated wedding of the year in Astonishing X-Men #51! From New York Times best-sellers Marjorie Liu and Mike Perkins, Astonishing X-Men #51features a who’s who of the Marvel Universe including some guests that may surprise you! Not only does this unforgettable issue feature covers by Dustin Weaver and Marko Djurdjevic, along with a special “Create Your Own Wedding” blank variant cover by Phil Noto, but select comic book retailers nationwide will host wedding parties at their stores to celebrate this joyous occasion! It’s the story that has everyone talking, and this June – witness Northstar and Kyle tie the knot, in Astonishing X-Men #51!

Plus! Head on over to Marvel.com to catch a very special episode of This Week In Marvel podcast, featuring Astonishing X-Men artist Mike Perkins!

ASTONISHING X-MEN #51 (APR120665)

Written by MARJORIE LIU

Art by MIKE PERKINS

Cover by DUSTIN WEAVER

Variant Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC

Create Your Own Wedding Variant by PHIL NOTO

Rated T+ …$3.99

On-Sale—6/20/12

== TEASER ==
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By KainScion

they're really laying it thick arent they?

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

Aw.

Guess the controversy will be over soon.

Less fun for me.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Mutant God

wonder twins powers activate: form of groom, form of best woman ... sorry just had to do it.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By ReVamp

@InnerVenom123 said:

Aw.

Less fun for me.

Dat Ivy.

arsyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By arsyn

@InnerVenom123 said:

Aw.

Less fun for me.

Until the honeymoon... !! :)

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By lykopis

Nice to see Aurora again.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By InnerVenom123

@arsyn said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Aw.

Less fun for me.

Until the honeymoon... !! :)

I like the way you think.

@ReVamp said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Aw.

Less fun for me.

Dat Ivy.

Dat Exwife.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By ReVamp

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ReVamp said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

Aw.

Less fun for me.

Dat Ivy.

Dat Exwife.

So the guy named after Poison Ivy is the dude? Seems legit.

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Overlander

@KainScion: Yup.

Though it is being treated a lot like comic weddings between a man and a woman. Speaking of which, I loved the cover showing off the other weddings. Cool picture of Jean & Scott.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Raiiyn

@Mutant God said:

wonder twins powers activate: form of groom, form of best woman ... sorry just had to do it.

LOL

@lykopis said:

Nice to see Aurora again.

=) I can't wait to read this issue

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has Aurora figured out her personality issues, yet? She is so unstable that I would think that Alison would have made a better maid of honor for Jean Paul. Also, it seems kind of funny to attend a wedding wearing a costume.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Really going all out with this event. Interesting to say the least!

Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By Namor1987

Haha Anole has that "screw this look" & Graymalkin is like "Oh hell yeah baby" lol. Look at some of the male characters they're like "hurry up with this". Dazzler is about to piss & crap herself from excitement. LOL I never cared for Northstar. IMHO he's a boring character like a French-Canadian downgraded version of Quicksilver. Nothing to do with his sexuality hell I like Anole & Graymalkin (both have cool powersets) but Northstar is just kind of a cliche hero with a sexuality twist.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Bestostero

i could've sworn Aurora was dead? but then again this is comic so people come back all the time...havent really kept up with her, but i guess im glad she's alive? lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

cool...?

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By sora_thekey

Weren't all of the Alpha Flight members killed except for Northstar?

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Master_Thief

Where's Peter and Mary Jane's Wedding come on even after one more day they should of still had a pic of it

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By papad1992

@sora_thekey said:

Weren't all of the Alpha Flight members killed except for Northstar?

Chaos War changed all of that!!

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Redberry

Is it just me or one of the grooms wanting to commit suicide sometimes before the wedding is not a good sign for a healthy marriage?

Now if only Shatterstar and Rictor can tie the knot soon... Maybe in a few years down the line.

jonnystorm777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jonnystorm777

@InnerVenom123: You love controversy!

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By nappystr8

That is one bold variant cover, I hope it's not a limited print cause that's definitely the one I want. It's great to see groups who are so often ignored or looked down upon in American's society and history receive representation in the comic book community, and as always Marvel is the one paving the way. Northstar was the first openly gay hero in mainstream superhero comics, and has been "out" for about 20 years, this doesn't feel like a gimmick or a sales push in anyway, but a natural progression of the character, and I can't wait to be part of this historical moment for the comic book medium by picking up a copy.

I may have never gotten into comics had their not been black characters like War Machine, Black Panther, Storm, John Stewart, and Blade who I could relate to. And it's always good to see that other often overlooked minorities also have someone they can relate to, be it Northstar, Wiccan, and Bunker for gay men; Batwoman and the second Question for lesbians, White Tiger and the third Blue Beetle for Latinos, or Asian characters like the most recent Atom or the upcoming new Weather Wizard who I can't wait to read.

Everyday the comic book pantheon starts to look more like the multicultural reality of the world, and it is a beautiful thing.

AskaniSon295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AskaniSon295

All the Alphans came back during the Chaos War.

Beserkerfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Beserkerfury

Disgusting,I hope all the issues burn in flames.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LordRequiem

I do not approve of this.

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Redberry

@nappystr8 said:

That is one bold variant cover, I hope it's not a limited print cause that's definitely the one I want. It's great to see groups who are so often ignored or looked down upon in American's society and history receive representation in the comic book community, and as always Marvel is the one paving the way. Northstar was the first openly gay hero in mainstream superhero comics, and has been "out" for about 20 years, this doesn't feel like a gimmick or a sales push in anyway, but a natural progression of the character, and I can't wait to be part of this historical moment for the comic book medium by picking up a copy.

I may have never gotten into comics had their not been black characters like War Machine, Black Panther, Storm, John Stewart, and Blade who I could relate to. And it's always good to see that other often overlooked minorities also have someone they can relate to, be it Northstar, Wiccan, and Bunker for gay men; Batwoman and the second Question for lesbians, White Tiger and the third Blue Beetle for Latinos, or Asian characters like the most recent Atom or the upcoming new Weather Wizard who I can't wait to read.

Everyday the comic book pantheon starts to look more like the multicultural reality of the world, and it is a beautiful thing.

QFT

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Raiiyn

@nappystr8 said:

Brilliant post...must follow...@Beserkerfury said:

Disgusting,I hope all the haters burn in flames.

FIXED =)

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#27  Edited By Teerack

Could they draw out a more uninteresting plot?

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Redberry

It's very interesting to me.

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers