Follow

Fantomex

Character » Fantomex appears in 891 issues.

Fantomex is a highly evolved and technologically advanced mutate, developed by the Weapons Plus program to be Weapon Xlll. He is highly cunning, skilled in misdirection, and has a ship that is an extension of his nervous system named E.V.A.

Misdirection, how does it work?

0blivion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By 0blivion_

Misdirection, how does it work?

A few people have a different answers. Some say it's works like TP, if he's in range he telepathically induces a hallucination of his choosing and if thats true, he shouldn't of been able to affect apocalypses celestial ship. Some body with a telepath ability shouldn't be able to affect a celestial ship, don't get me wrong I'm not saying Fantomex shouldn't of been to affect the ship. Remember Fantomex's ship is a techno-organic ship which kinda has it's own mind but it was mentioned by either Fantomex or Wolverine that the celeial ship had a similar mind to E.V.A. so that would explain why Fantomex's power worked in that intents. In Deathlok nation a Deathlok version Fantomex was able to use misdirection of Fantomex which means if again it was like telepath is shouldn't of worked because Fantomex telepathic resistant plates in his head. It is my belief that his power is, voice induced hallucinations, which would be similar to Venus and Siren.

What do you's think?

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ThexX

In Uncanny X-Force #14 Archangel kind of explains it is a type of reality warping. I don't have scans but I could type what is said if you want me to.

0blivion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By 0blivion_

@ThexX: It wouldn't be literally, he probably meant warping the reality of someone perception sorta thing.. I have the scans at home, I'll have to take a better look at that issue.

Ebonstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Ebonstorm

Fantomex's "misdirection" ability is a psychic power that allows him to create hyper-realistic illusions to convince his opponents a particular event is indistinguishable from reality. Even psychics whose powers are on par with Professor X, Jean Grey or Emma Frost were able to be affected by it.

Fantomex (Weapon XIII) is a weapon, pure and simple; designed employing artificial evolution and nanosentinel technology by Sublime and the Weapon Plus program to hunt down and kill mutants. He was designed as a first strike weapon, if he saw you before you saw him, you were already dead.

As the product of a super-soldier program, using the term "misdirection" as a power descriptions might be a sloppy way of defining his power unless you consider it the way Fantomex might. "Misdirection" would imply the real use of the power is to distract the opponent just long enough for Fantomex to be able to kill them. He may not consider calling it anything more advanced because for him, it is an ends to a means, nothing more.

In combat, Fatomex utilizes his powers in the following ways:

1. His ability to read the body language, posture, and combat capability from an opponent he has never met. This gives him a fantastic advantage because he can read his opponent physically and counter their technique with an attack that focuses on their weaknesses, not their strengths. Even if his opponent had greater physical capabilities, he is able to see where he could bring his best physical capabilities against his opponent's greatest weakness.
    2. Using his three brains, he can calculate combat scenarios that would put him in the most advantageous position possible whenever he engaged an enemy. His advanced neural system ensures even if he takes an injury, he would not be stopped and could continue to battle with any injury that was less than life-threatening. Since he can detach one of his neural systems (EVA) she can give him other information he may not notice or be aware of. He has already shown that even if one of his brains are damaged in combat, he is only temporarily disabled (instead of being dead like anyone else).
    3. His most effective ability would be the ability to convince an opponent they had either won or lost depending on which would give him the greatest amount of leverage in combat. His power appears to be a form of full-immersion psychic illusion-casting. Illusions so powerful they defy the ability to discern them from the reality even if you have a powerful psychic profile such as Professor X, Jean Grey or Emma Frost. This makes sense from Sublime's point of view as telepathic enemies would be the most dangerous opponents. This also explains the ceramic plating in his cowl making him proof against telepathic powers.

Fantomex is an excellent hand to hand combatant (as almost all of the Weapons are):

• His fighting prowess is augmented depending on the quality of his armaments.
    • His preference is for quality firearms with customized ammunition including adamantium-tipped armor-piercing and vibranium (anti-metal version) bullets. When in doubt, assume he's using ceramic armor-piercing rounds.
    • His psyche has been altered to prevent belief in a higher power. This makes him immune to any programming or mind control that might hijack his faith or belief centers of his brain. (Weapon XVI had this power).

"I have nanites in my brain to moderate my neocortex, rendering me physically incapable of believing in anything greater than myself." --Fantomex to Noh Vahh.

• He is also capable of using almost any hand to hand weapon.
    • He has an extended range of auditory sensing outside the human norm. Its acuity is still unquantified.
    • He cannot be tracked by scent, eluding even Wolverine's capable senses.
    • He has Olympic level strength, agility, acrobatic ability and endurance.
    • He can ignore pain from injuries as long as EVA is outside is body.
    • He can perform minor surgery on his injuries without pain
    • He can resist blows that would render any other human unconscious (3 brains)
    • He has a minor healing factor, while not quite as effective as other mutants with the power, appears to be help him recover from any injury given enough time.
    • EVA is also an asset since she can function autonomously, capable of flight and able to project energy to defend herself. She also acts as a vehicle capable of carrying all of X-force.

While no one has described it in detail, Fantomex's illusion-casting seems to function in a fashion similar to the villain Mastermind (Jason Wyngarde) or his two daughters Martinique Jason and Regan Wyngarde.

How much control Fantomex has over the content of the illusion has not been established. It is also suggested that EVA may possess the actual power to create the immersive environments. (This makes sense since it is a telepathic power and Fantomex's telepathic shielding makes him immune to the telepathic powers of others.)

First published at the Science Fiction and Fantasy StackExchange by Thaddeus Howze (Show 'em some love, answer some questions, make the universe safe for comic readers everywhere!)

Namtomex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Namtomex

Misdirection is explained a bit on wikipedia and other databases and stuff. Basically, it is illusion casting and hypnosis at an extremely high level.

It remains vague, which enhances its mysteriousness and unpredictability, which makes it deadlier and difficult to counter. Fantomex is very intelligent, and never gives away information that personal, even to people closest to him.

His intentions in general are extremely unpredictable.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.