Follow

Dick Grayson

Character » Dick Grayson appears in 9498 issues.

As the first Robin, Dick Grayson was the most famous sidekick in comic book history. As he ventured forth on his own, he formed the Teen Titans and became their leader. When the boy became a man, he became the independent hero known as Nightwing.

What if Dick Grayson became the DCU's Captain America?

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So this is a bit late but what if DC used the fallout from Forever Evil, and Dick's run as a Spyral agent to set him up as the DCU's "hero with a face" like Captain America or the Fantastic Four? For those looking to see DG grow out of Batmans shadow and do something meaningful and new, seems like this could be one way. Plus, if they give him a team, its a whole new opportunity to either re-introduce some little known characters or create some new ones and showcase Graysons mentoring/leadership skills.....all the while exploring the difficulties of being a celebrity/government backed superhero and the strains it puts on his relationship with the Batclan.

Ive kind of had this idea that Waller arrests him and blackmails him into becoming this public hero in order to prevent her from outing the rest of the Batfamily's identities...

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Before the actual fate of Dick Grayson was revealed, I thought a really cool idea would have been a Justice Outlawed story.

So the government is hunting down heroes, and on the top of that "heroes list" is a certain Dick Grayson. And Dick is now a mobile type of hero, trying to help out wherever he can. And the first lets say 6 issues is him forming a group of people he helped along the way, or people who were inspired to help him out.

It would be like the outsiders, but more public, and on the run from the law.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher, any thoughts?

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vernierhawk001 said:

@nathaniel_christopher, any thoughts?

Personally, i'm cool with the secret identity thing and always have been. Storyline has potential though, especially the bit about Waller blackmailing him. That's the kind of thing that Bruce wouldn't want to happen, but Dick would go ahead with, because he didn't want the others to suffer in any way.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightwingism so its kind of like the A-team (DCU edition)!

Did you have any specific people in mind who would form his team?

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the whole Grayson crap was a Bucky ripoff?

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightwingism so its kind of like the A-team (DCU edition)!

Did you have any specific people in mind who would form his team?

So I was thinking of it being a more grounded team, with like 6-7 members. The main members I was thinking of would be:

Nightwing (Public identity known), Artemis, Black Lightning, Huntress, Animal Man (Public identity known), Stargirl and Manhunter

I think the fact that known of them have like world breaking super powers, and are more in line with physical aspects of the world, it'd be pretty cool. Their "strongest" is Animal Man, who is still just a man who can change the physical nature of his body to mimic those of animals, and Stargirl who is still only a 16 year old girl who doesn't have it all together, still being wet behind the ears so to say.

So it'd be like the A-Team if they were trained by ninjas, except some of the ninjas are really bad at being ninjas (Animal Man, Black Lightning, Stargirl), while others are just experts at being a ninja (the other 4)

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightwingism: ......I would read that book. lol. would artemis be characterized like the version from young justice?

Who is manhunter? you mean martian manhunter?

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nightwingism

@vernierhawk001:

If I were to write it, I'd give Artemis a slight update to let her fit more in line with comics, and so not to keep her tied down as a "green arrow sidekick" so to say. But totally the kick ass, take no shit, but secretly sentimental girl she is in Young Justice

And Manhunter is Kate Spencer, a Marc Andreyko created character who works out of Gotham as a prosecutor I believe. She wears a kick ass red suit, and despite not really having any formal training, is pretty skilled. I think the suit amplifies her power slightly to make her stronger, but not world breaking stronger. Just like, I can punch a wall and leave a fist mark sort of deal. I think.

It'd be fun because with this, a good amount of them could bounce off each other, and we have a 3 generation line, from Black Lightning (Pre-reboot being one of the older guys), Nightwing (The golden boy of the "2nd gen") and Stargirl (arguably the strongest of the "3rd / new gen"). And while they all would share the same ideals, the way they go about it, and how they take action in reactions to the government would be a source of conflict.

It'd be cool.

vernierhawk001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nightwingism:

Wow. I had never heard of Manhunter before. just read up on her...she sounds cool! and her unique backgorund would make her really interesting to play off of Grayson.

On another note, I would really like to see Grayson and Harley Quinn team up in a book. I dont think that pairing would really fit with the idea you have presented or mine but it would be cool. rose Wilson would fit in well with the team you suggested. so would either Powergirl or Donna Troy. im really intrigued by the idea of somone with immense power working in a covert ops/under-the-radar environment.

nightwingism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nightwingism

@vernierhawk001: Rose Wilson would have been awesome, maybe instead of like Huntress or Manhunter. And I was mainly going by the current universe, so I didn't want Power girl due to the fact that she's on Earth-2 and I didn't know how to incorporate Donna Troy to make her involvement make sense. But all three of them are amazing characters and would have a great rapport with Dick

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.