Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Recommend a current book to follow

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arinya

I realized that I am not reading any DC books! I used to read Animal Man. I'm kinda exhausted after the Capullo/Snyder run on Batman and it fell off my pull list. That was the last DC book I was reading. You guys have a good recommendation? I read a lot of Marvel ( for example Daredevil, Death of Wolverine and All New X-Men) and a handful of Image books (Black Science, Manhattan Projects and Wicked + Divine). Just looking for a good story. Maybe a fun story. Don't care for supernatural stories. Been thinking about getting into Flash. Seems like a fun read. Also thought about Swamp Thing. What would you guys suggest?

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By youknowwhattodo

Currently, I do think Swamp Thing is a great read, I don't know if I would categorize it as a fun read though. I like the returns on Geoff John's Superman so far. Harley Quinn I wouldn't say has a good story but it is a fun read same with Justice League United. Grayson, I really think has picked it up over the past two issues, it is a very fun read but the past two issues have featured really great storytelling. Of course, can't do a DC recommendation without Aquaman.

While it's not out yet, I would pay attention to the new Batgirl, it seems as though the creative team is going to give Barbara Gordon a Mark-Waid-esque makeover and it might be a fun ride, but until it comes out I can't full out recommend it.

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo Gasp! Mark Waid!?!?! I'm all over that! I've really been enjoying his Daredevil run! If he is writing Batgirl, I'm all over that....err...yeah. =P I thought about Grayson but I'm a bit tired of Batman or anything related to it. I know it's probably got zero Batman in it but my brain still rejects it. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll look into Swamp Thing after all and give a peek to Superman. Is it Superman or Superman Unchained?

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@arinya: Mark Waid is not writing Batgirl lol, I'm just saying that the direction the creative team is taking with Barbara is very similar to what Mark Waid did with Daredevil. He took a character who is in normally very gritty stories (Gail Simone's Batgirl the parallel here) and made the tone much lighter and the character's disposition much lighter as well. Looking at the preview, the artwork is pretty similiar to what we see in Waid's DD. However, Cameron Stewart is writing Batgirl.

I am talking about Superman.

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Arinya

@youknowwhattodo: Bah! Sorry...yeah I read Mark Waid and thought he was writing it. Yes I knew Cameron Stewart was writing it but plain forgot. Thanks for reminding me about Batgirl and I just remembered I did pick up Gotham Academy! Haven't read it yet but hopefully Becky Cloonan writes as well as she draws. Thanks again!

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@arinya: Swamp Thing and Aquaman are my two favortie DC titles. Swamp Thing has been excellent since Soule has taken over for Snyders (whose run was very good as well) and Aquaman has been great from the start as well.

Green Arrow was great from 17-35 with Lemire and Sorrentino on board but they just left with the Arrow writers taking over so I dropped it. If you are looking for just a great story and not an ongoing to jump onto, I would recommend that.

To be honest, those are my only DC pulls along with Batman. I had dropped about 6 or 7 other titles 14-15 issues in because they didn't interest me that much.

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: Green Arrow huh? I dunno...it's a dude with a bow and arrow. But I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arinya: It's a very good story, but you almost need to start with 17 as it builds from there through the end.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

Justice League is obviously good. Teen Titans is new but it has been good so far.

Avatar image for therealdarkknight
    therealdarkknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Green lantern in my favorite and its a lot of fun! Flash is great too! Slow start(ironic lol) but it gets awesome!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice league.

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Juke

@youknowwhattodo:

When you say Swamp Thing, do you mean the books that are still coming out? I thought I heard it got kind of bad but I'm not sure. I'd like to read all of it but I don't want to spend my money for bad arcs.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Batman Eternal.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juke said:

@youknowwhattodo:

When you say Swamp Thing, do you mean the books that are still coming out? I thought I heard it got kind of bad but I'm not sure. I'd like to read all of it but I don't want to spend my money for bad arcs.

Yes I am referring to the books still coming out, Swamp Thing has been one of the most consistent books throughout the new 52.

Avatar image for digitalshooter9
    DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For DC: The current Detective and Batman is quite well. Also I would advise Batgirl.

For Marvel: Moon Knight

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@juke said:

@youknowwhattodo:

Yes I am referring to the books still coming out, Swamp Thing has been one of the most consistent books throughout the new 52.

Cool, thank you. I've been reading the entire run of Animal Man and I'm impressed and I'm hoping to do the same with Swamp Thing now.

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

Aquaman, Red Lanterns, Green Lantern, Batman. I would have recommended Green Arrow but now that Lemire has left I doubt it'll be good again

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forgot to pick up Swamp Thing but I did read Gotham Academy #01 and Batgirl #35.

Gotham Academy had some charm but it was boring and sometimes hard to read. I guess I'm totally the wrong demographic but I still remember being the outsider at school and facing the ever changing moods of my friends. Especially the girls. Gawd they never made any sense! But it all seemed abit boring. Then the flow of the artwork screwed up the read for me. There was a montage where the panels were going down but the characters were actually walking up a tower. Messed with my head and took me out of the story as I tried to understand why they drew it that way. There was a double page scene that I had to read twice because I read it the wrong way. It was the part where they walked around the campus. But then towards the end of the story things got interesting along with the cliffhanger at the end. Over all the artwork was great except for the confusing layouts. I'll give it one more try.

Batgirl was great! Again I am not the demographic but there was so much style and good reading that it was really enjoyable. The whole time I felt like I was not cool enough to hang out with all the characters. A lot of it reminded me that I'm an old fart and I don't know much about the lives of young adults but they mixed in all the action/super hero stuff in so well I did not feel completely alienated. It was not a serious read but it was a lot fun. By the way, what was the song Barbara was playing when she had to make her new suit? Which was a great way to explain her new outfit.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RED LANTERN : the first few issues are a drag but from there on it really takes off

DETECTIVE COMICS: if you don't want to waste money, just follow the latest run by the flash creators.

FLASH: great run throughout.

TEEN TITANS: if you're really a cheapo (just kidding) read the new series.

FUTURE END: all the dc characters are there,so it's lots of fun with great story.run

Arinya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abdullahzubair: I just can't get into the Lantern series. A lot of it seems silly. He has a ring that is powered by a...lantern? I guess there is a cool reason why but...lantern??? Sorry. I should not knock it but yeah.

Yes Flash! I hear so many good things about the series in general. He never really interested me but I need to give him a try. I've been hearing good and bad (mostly bad) about Futures End. Maybe I'll thumb through an issue.

AbdullahZubair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arinya: i understand about the lantern thing, but they don't charge by the lantern, there is a hidden creature in all of the central lanterns which fuels the ring. They can also work without the battery fueled only by their rage. Future end is great but it's a little confusing. Most of the negevity ppl start because it is weekly and they can't spare the dough. Good to know your getting into flash. The new suicide squad and wonder woman are cool too. While sq is a fun book, wonder woman has a story to tell hope you enjoy my recommendations

Bboyyomama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Red hood and the outlaws.

Birds of prey

Garbz5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't been keeping up with my comics for a few months but I can say that Harley Quinn was a fun read. It didn't really have a great story to tell but each issue was just outrageous and a fun time. It's hard to anything other than Batman since it seems DC is all about Batman more than anything.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
    V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Justice League Dark is pretty good.

I don't think I can recommend Batwoman anymore though. :(

Garbz5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Garbz5

RED LANTERN : the first few issues are a drag but from there on it really takes off

DETECTIVE COMICS: if you don't want to waste money, just follow the latest run by the flash creators.

FLASH: great run throughout.

TEEN TITANS: if you're really a cheapo (just kidding) read the new series.

FUTURE END: all the dc characters are there,so it's lots of fun with great story.run

Futures End sounds cool just because I like Batman Beyond.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Deadpool, Ellis' Moon knight, Fables, C.O.W.L., Lemire's Green Arrow, and maybe a few others but I can't think of them.

Garbz5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadpool, Ellis' Moon knight, Fables, C.O.W.L., Lemire's Green Arrow, and maybe a few others but I can't think of them.

+1 Moonknight

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grayson. Justice League, Batgirl.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say Wonder Woman, but it's just one more issue and you need to read all issues. So, trades?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.