Follow

Comic Book Care

Concept » Comic Book Care appears in 52 issues.

Advice from other collectors on how to care for and store your books.

Do you "bag and board"?

• 51 results
    Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

Edited By Trodorne

So while working at the comic store, I was picking up my issues for the day before I was getting ready to go. i took a bag and board for only 2 of my comics that I was actually collecting. Amazing Spider-man and Alpha Flight. Just then a customer said this: "Why only get two bags and boards for your entire stack? Why not for all of them?" he said with a bit of a condisending remark.  I smiled and replied, "Cause I like to enjoy the rest of the comics I have that im abesolutely not collecting."

In other words what I said to the customer in the previous paragraph is that I do not bag and board all my comics. just only the ones I am going to stick into my collection, and so far I might end up with 4 collections now with flash and nightwing on the way :D. but i don't really care if I toss my comic into the long box without a bag and board, I try to take care of the box as best as i can and hope that the comics will last as long as they can. do i really care if they are not completely flat? no, im not anal like some people are when it comes to the dimensions of comics. (no offense).  Comics are meant to be read, not each individually wrapped containers with some person hoping that one of there issues might be worth something in the future... "oh man I have spawn #1"... yeah, no sorry bud not worth the millions you wished it was. 

I use the bags and boards to preserve the series I really want to go back to in the future. the other series im reading right now and I enjoy them. does not mean I want to keep them all in my future archive of Spider-man,Flash,Nightwing, and Alpha flight. a man has only got so much space. if the comics get old then ill throw them out or donate them for kids to read and enjoy or until computers take over the kids altogether and have a real life attention span of 2 seconds.

So I felt like getting that off my chest. But before I go, I want to know, do you bag and board? if so or not tell my why or why not. Id like to hear back from Ya'll.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By JonesDeini

@Trodorne:

I bag and board all my comics. I used to not do it and just stack them all on top of one another, once that stack outgrew my shelf on my bookshelf I bought a short box and found that they didn't fit as well un-bagged. Also, I collect all my comics so I want them in good condition, especially those with nice covers. If I ever stop a series I just reuse my bags and boards for other books. Like now I'm stopping Static since Rozum's off that book. One less Bag/board to buy.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By turoksonofstone

Yes.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

you'd be crazy NOT to bag and Board em

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Trodorne
    @turoksonofstone said:
    Yes.
    lol this is why I like your answers, brief and to the point.
    astrid12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By astrid12

I like to bag and board them because it makes it easier to carry them around without getting sweat around them or getting folded in my bag, I commute a lot (about four hours a day) so I read on the bus, the bags and boards give them protection =D

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Trodorne
    @The Stegman: haha i guess im crazy then. I just think believe they are just comics, only certain ones are worth keeping around for me because they have more sentimental sway than the others. Yeah I love this issue of Buffy season 9 but im not going to bag and board it.
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Trodorne: i just think the good far out weighs the bad, i mean you can buy 100 packs of bags and boards for less than $10 bucks, that buys you protection from spills, tears, dirt, the elements, rips, and stains. not to mention it could keep them tidier since you can stand them up easier
    Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Trodorne
    @The Stegman: or I have my long box standing upright thus the comics are laying flat...ish. as for dirt.. thats what the lid was for. i have no desire to keep the comics in pristine condition 24/7 while it may compel you or others to do it. it does not to me.
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Bestostero

I don't....I wished I did though...I just stack them in a box

It's still neat and nice though... and pretty organized lol

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Trodorne: cool, whatever way works for you! personally i'm just happy you're reading comics(for the industry's sake), i could care less about what you do with them afterward lol
    Avatar image for morgaine_levesque
    Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I need to buy bags, boards and boxes.

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Larkin1388

I bag and board when i buy really old comics i find in thrift stores that are in good condition.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By longbowhunter

The shop I used to have a file at bagged and boarded all issues at no charge. Now the one I shop at only bags, so I buy my boards in 100 counts separately. Bagging and boarding are essential for me seeing as I throw all my weekly purchases into a messanger bag and carry them to work with me. I aint paying $3 to $4 a pop for blunted corners and creased pages!

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @Trodorne said:
    @turoksonofstone said:
    Yes.
    lol this is why I like your answers, brief and to the point.

lol. 

@Trodorne said:
    @The Stegman: or I have my long box standing upright thus the comics are laying flat...ish. as for dirt.. thats what the lid was for. i have no desire to keep the comics in pristine condition 24/7 while it may compel you or others to do it. it does not to me.
    This is good for bag/boarders but not for you. The sort of collector you claim to be creates collect-ability by creating "reading" copies.
    owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#15  Edited By owie  Moderator

Bag but not board. Boards generally seem unnecessary to me, as long as the boxes are kept packed enough so the comics don't slip. I bag them to keep them in decent shape, not because I think they're going to be worth millions, because they're not, but because I like to respect the stuff I own. And, more importantly, when I'm thumbing through a box looking for something, it's easier if they're bagged than if they're loose.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I put them in folders. I don't bother boarding them as their shape is retained anyway. And the singles I get I get for $1 on sale, and getting the proper boards would cost more than that.

Trades ftw.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#18  Edited By xerox_kitty

Yeah, I bag & board.  Two issues to every bag, so one issue either side of the board.  It saves a lot of room compared to 1 issue per bag.  And the board not only helps keep the shape, but prevents the transfer of inks between issues.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Yep always bagged and boarded all issues.

@xerox_kitty said:

Yeah, I bag & board. Two issues to every bag, so one issue either side of the board. It saves a lot of room compared to 1 issue per bag. And the board not only helps keep the shape, but prevents the transfer of inks between issues.

Why the hell haven't I thought about doing that sooner?

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#20  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Omega Ray Jay said:

Why the hell haven't I thought about doing that sooner?

I asked myself the same thing :)
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By fodigg

The annoyance of bagging and boarding is why I stopped messing with floppies. I didn't want to treat them like trash but I didn't want to have them all bagged and boxed up where I know I would NEVER go through them and casually read. With a trade paperback, however (or a digital download on my phone, yay DCnU!) I know that I'll casually pull out an old purchase and read through it. Trade Waiting can be painful though, and not every shop allows shelf reading (again, yay DC digital initiative!).

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#22  Edited By RazzaTazz

Absolutely not, it is basically for the same reasons, that I like to enjoy them.  There is no more reason to think that an issue of a modern comic will gain any value as opposed to say the most recent version of Vanity Fair which I have bought.  I dont even put them in boxes.  Just stacks.  Of course my dad who also collects routinely visits and takes away my piles and puts them in his collection where they are B&B'd
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I bag and board everything I get...in all fairness I actually bag and board TPs as well and I have no shame in admitting it.

@xerox_kitty: I used to do that too! Right on :)

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Trodorne
    @RazzaTazz said:
    Absolutely not, it is basically for the same reasons, that I like to enjoy them.  There is no more reason to think that an issue of a modern comic will gain any value as opposed to say the most recent version of Vanity Fair which I have bought.
    exactly, I mean the paper we use now for comics is of higher quality paper then just the regular newsprint back before the 80's..
    zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#26  Edited By zombietag

i bag and board each one individually. i think it looks the cleanest. 2 to a bag and board, i almost did that but it would take a long time to convert my collection and i like having one per. its just nice. it makes me feel like what im reading is really nice, and not just a crummy magazine.

yes i know thats completely in my head, but thats okay.

its cool if you dont bag and board, but to appeal to the original argument, theres a lot of comics i didnt know i would love so much until i did buy them so now im glad theyre bagged and boarded.

and yeah, the resale thing is there too. i know the spawn #1 argument is valid, but at the same time if someone asked me if i wanted to buy their collection, the odds of me buying it and the price i'd pay would go up immensely if i knew they had bagged and boarded every comic they bought from the day they bought them.

its just smart.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yes. Not because I plan to sell them or anything (I don't), but to ensure they remain in good condition for as long as possible. I like to take care of my things and also future proof everything, as I never know what is going to happen or what I will want to do later on. I don't understand the point of "No, because I like to enjoy them" that some people are making. I can just take my comic out of the bag whenever I want to, and I know it will be in great condition because I protected it. I've also moved a lot in my life, and that can be rough on comics that don't have any backing to keep them from falling out of their covers and such; it's very obvious to tell which of my comics weren't properly sealed up with a board compared to those that were. I have a lot of comics that aren't protected yet that are in great condition, but there are some in my collection where their damage could have easily been avoided. It's a cheap, effective solution that avoids long-term problems.

My brother had to keep his stuff in storage once, and there were a lot of things that got messed up by bugs because they weren't properly protected. I do everything I can to avoid situations like that.

Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Sobe Cin

I bag and board, but mostly its because they books are prebagged and boarded before I buy them from my local store. Heck I spend half the afternoon bagging and boarding for other customers. 

I do have a good chuck of my books unbagged currently but that's I don't want them anymore. But the ones I want to keep they will remain in their protective covers.
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I bag and board my comics that way they do not get damaged. Some issues are not bag and board but when I organize my comics I bag and board those comics

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By turoksonofstone
    @xerox_kitty@Omega Ray Jay:  
    Only one side of the board is Acid-free...
    The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#31  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

depends on what comic it is...depends on the age and how much a cherish it...

Avatar image for samurai_condoms
    Samurai Condoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Samurai Condoms

I buy so many variants and old comics that they are already in the bagged and boarded when I get them.Most variants that I buy come in a more safe style of bag though so they don't need boards.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By ragdollpurps

My LCS bags and boards all the comics they sell, so yes, I bag and board.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Trodorne
    @ragdollpurps: I notice that some stores do that. I mean I understand when people do that when they are done reading or its a really old issue, but i mean already done for a new issue. no idea why they do that. nice of them but don't know why.
    harleyquinn12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 21

#35  Edited By harleyquinn12

I personally don't bag and board. I understand why people, but I only tend to bag and board autographed books. I just know I'd never get around to actually bagging them ,so i keep them the way they are.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Manchine

I bag them but I don't board them.

Argand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Argand

at the moment i only bag them with polyethylene bags and do not board them. i mainly bag tpbs (hcs and scs as well) because i mainly collect these but i started to collect single issues as well recently, so i will have to bag and board them, too.

nevertheless i have some questions/problems unsolved, so maybe some of you who bag & board 'professionally' could take a look in my topic. its in the same sub-forum.

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By MrUnknown

My LCS gives a free bag and board for each new comics, so yes!

Nikoleta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Nikoleta

My LCS gives out free bags/boards for new comics and also has variants and back issues bagged and boarded already. The only reason why I wouldn't bag and board is the cost. And because there is none for new issues I always bag and board. I wait for sales and then buy up a ton of bags and boards packs for when I buy back issues or lots elsewhere.

I don't know if I'd consider myself more of a reader or a collector. While I do read every book I buy (and I'll re-read several if not all of them) I also love the idea of collecting. But I also collect a lot of other things so maybe that's just me. I like to have everything in mint condition because it's just nicer to look at and I know that when I want to pull them out later to read they're not going to be ruined or damaged in any way.

Also I almost always have really long nails and I find that when you bag and board them they're easier to flip through when you've put them in boxes. Maybe it's because the books create a small gap in between each issue with the depth of them, even though it's a small difference it still gives me a little bit of room to flick through. I also really love detail work and I find just as much enjoyment in bagging, boarding, cataloguing, organizing, all that boring stuff as I do in reading them.

SurelockeHomes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SurelockeHomes

I do, because otherwise my books will become unsightly, covers missing and pages everywhere. I learned that the hard way from my sensational Spider-Man book.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Daveyo520

No I do not, but sometimes the comics I buy already are.

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nova`Prime`

Only people who disagree with me... oh you mean comics, yes.

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Yumulu

Every shop I have visited in the last 10 years already came pre bagged/boarded... So yeah, no reason not to do it.

blastaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By blastaar

You ain't "cool", unless you bag and board.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jrock85

I get them for free at my LCS because I'm a subscriber.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#46  Edited By Queso6p4

@Renchamp: This, except that I don't have kids yet. When I do, I want them to be able to enjoy them in as good, shape as possible.

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Trodorne

@blastaar said:

You ain't "cool", unless you bag and board.

lol man. I was never cool ;) @jrock85 said:

That is actually cool. we normally sell them in packs of 100 for each and give a discount when people buy them together.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

Sometimes. I had been putting them in bins now I longbox them when they pile up enough. I'm gonna pay someone to help me go though and catalog them one day.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jrock85

@Trodorne: The owners of my LCS bag and board your comics for you if you're a subscriber.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#50  Edited By Queso6p4

@jrock85 said:

@jrock85 said:

@Trodorne: The owners of my LCS bag and board your comics for you if you're a subscriber.

Both of these are very cool subscriber perks.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.