Follow

Clone

Concept » Clone appears in 948 issues.

A staple of science fiction and super hero genres. The clone is an artificially produced genetic copy of an already existing creature. Many clones retain the original's characteristics and powers, but often result in warped and unstable characteristics.

why do all clones in comics either turn out evil, gross or dead??

ithinkitwasyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ithinkitwasyou

You're thoughts on the topic???

Me personally, I like the cliche of clones popping up in comic books, and all the anti-clone stans can sit down because comic books are usually based in Sci-Fi, so clones belong in comic books, side by side with alternate realities, post-apocalyptic futures and radio active super freaks.

My only real problem is when a clone character is JUST LIKE the original. Keeping in mind that character in comics go through a series of evolutions in personality and experiences. Spider-Man for example was a cocky douche when he dawned the costume, and it was the death of his uncle that brought him back down to earth. So while Ben reilly did have artificial memories to make him think he was the original, I think the writers were going in the right direction when they gave him blond hair to distinguish him from both spider man and Peter Parker. I think they made a terrible move in trying to make him take on the mantle of spider-man though. Ultimately I think that's what lead to his death. I think it would have been a really good idea for him to join a team, like the avengers, (and it would be awesome to see him in Exiles)

But this is my point. When characters are in cannon copies (literally) of the original character, who already has a larger fan base, their only real chance at survival IMO is to be distinguished from the Original in a BIG WAY OTHER than just being evil.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Saren
    Beg to differ.
    Beg to differ.
    Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Or35ti

@CitizenBane said:

Beg to differ.
    Beg to differ.

Seconded.

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By KainScion

Ben Reilly WAS and IS a great character even if he was clone. he even filled in for spidey for a period of time. he even sacrificed himself so that spidey may live.

ithinkitwasyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ithinkitwasyou

@KainScion said:

Ben Reilly WAS and IS a great character even if he was clone. he even filled in for spidey for a period of time. he even sacrificed himself so that spidey may live.

him taking over for Peter was a terrible idea...

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By KainScion

@ithinkitwasyou: your opinion. not mine.@Or35ti said:

@CitizenBane said:

Beg to differ.
    Beg to differ.

Seconded.

how could i have forgotten laura?!?!

ithinkitwasyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ithinkitwasyou

@Or35ti said:

@CitizenBane said:

Beg to differ.
    Beg to differ.

Seconded.

Superboy -not a clone a cross breed of Lex and superman o_0

X-23 - Not wolverine...she's a....she....

both of those characters were given distinguishing characteristics from their original, just like my original post suggests. What exactly are you begging to differ on?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dernman

Superboy is Lex & Superman's love child.

X 23 the first mainstream transgender clone

ithinkitwasyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ithinkitwasyou

@KainScion: It's one of the reasons he ended up dead. Spidey-Fans hated the idea of Ben taking his place in the webs. All his time as Scarlet spider he was fine but after he put on his spider-man suit...

he was killed off within the first year....

guess what I'm saying is that

if you were a fan of Ben, you should have wanted him to stay away from the spider-man title, cause spidey fans are monsters.

ithinkitwasyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ithinkitwasyou

@Dernman said:

Superboy is Lex & Superman's love child.

X 23 the first mainstream transgender clone

my sentiments exactly. those aren't really clones by standard, in my opinion. They're engineered offspring.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Saren
    @ithinkitwasyou: What is a clone, but engineered offspring? Conner is a clone, most of his character development revolves around him struggling with his status as a clone.  

X-23 is a clone of Wolverine, with an extra X-chromosome in place of Wolverine's Y.
    ithinkitwasyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ithinkitwasyou

@CitizenBane said:

@ithinkitwasyou: What is a clone, but engineered offspring? Conner is a clone, most of his character development revolves around him struggling with his status as a clone. X-23 is a clone of Wolverine, with an extra X-chromosome in place of Wolverine's Y.

A clone is a perfect genetic copy. In labs they are called Later-born Twins. Stryfe is a clone of cable, Match is a clone of super boy, but superboy's not technically a clone of superman. doesn't add up by a technical definition. Super boy is as much a clone of superman as Nate grey is a clone of Cyclops.

If someone gets to mixing your DNA then you have in Superboys case, Genetically engineered offspring, and in wolverine's case Genetically engineered sibling. Either way, altering there genetic prevents them from being clones.

soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By soccersss
    @ithinkitwasyou said:

Me personally, I like the cliche of clones popping up in comic books, and all the anti-clone stans can sit down because comic books are usually based in Sci-Fi, so clones belong in comic books, side by side with alternate realities, post-apocalyptic futures and radio active super freaks.

My only real problem is when a clone character is JUST LIKE the original. Keeping in mind that character in comics go through a series of evolutions in personality and experiences. Spider-Man for example was a cocky douche when he dawned the costume, and it was the death of his uncle that brought him back down to earth. So while Ben reilly did have artificial memories to make him think he was the original, I think the writers were going in the right direction when they gave him blond hair to distinguish him from both spider man and Peter Parker. I think they made a terrible move in trying to make him take on the mantle of spider-man though. Ultimately I think that's what lead to his death. I think it would have been a really good idea for him to join a team, like the avengers, (and it would be awesome to see him in Exiles)

But this is my point. When characters are in cannon copies (literally) of the original character, who already has a larger fan base, their only real chance at survival IMO is to be distinguished from the Original in a BIG WAY OTHER than just being evil.

What about ultimate Gwen Stacy in that case. She might not be part of the main 616 universe but shes living proofs that clones can survive in the comic world.
    ithinkitwasyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ithinkitwasyou

@soccersss said:

@ithinkitwasyou said:

What about ultimate Gwen Stacy in that case. She might not be part of the main 616 universe but shes living proofs that clones can survive in the comic world.

Correct me if I'm wrong cause I didn't read the ultimate titles at all, honestly thought it was an awful series that should have handed already, but wasn't she eaten by carnage?

ithinkitwasyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ithinkitwasyou

@Enzeru said:

I hate X-23. Terrible, terrible, terrible origin with the prostitution and so on.

I didn't hate her but I definitely can see why you do.

dominion4194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By dominion4194

The evil-twin/clone is a classic sci-fi (which comics basically are) trope. It gives the author the ability to explore the darker side of the characters without destroying the history or reputation of the character. The clones always break their mental programming and find out that they are not who they thought they are and they snap and give one of those "If I can't be you, I'm going to destroy your reputation by scratching the paint on your neighbors car!!!" speeches. If you notice most superheroes don't have close families. There is a long list of traffic accidents, crimes and other horrible events that seem to take away the possibility of family conflict. So the easiest solution is to have some evil genius hatch a clone or rip open the fabric of space-time to drag some alternate universe version of the person here and then brain-wash him. Then you get six issues of "The jealous sibling gone wrong." comics.

The only place this doesn't happen is Batman, he doesn't need clones since he has a cadre of sidekicks/agents who always have psychotic episodes and try to destroy, ruin or expose Batman as Bruce Wayne. They generally die a horrible death, get resurrected and end up with their own short-lived monthly title. Azrael, Red Hood...

soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By soccersss

@ithinkitwasyou said:

@soccersss said:

@ithinkitwasyou said:

Correct me if I'm wrong cause I didn't read the ultimate titles at all, honestly thought it was an awful series that should have handed already, but wasn't she eaten by carnage?

Carnage killed the original Gwen Stacy but a perfect clone of her emerged later and is still alive. You should give the ultimate comics a chance. IMHO before the crap known as ultimatum hit, ultimate comics especially ultimate spider-man was brilliant and it could rival the 616 comics
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

@Or35ti said:

@CitizenBane said:

Beg to differ.
    Beg to differ.

Seconded.

thirded
    Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Kairan1979

Let's not forget Terry McGinnis a.k.a. Batman Beyond, who, as we learn in the episode "Epilogue", is Bruce's clone.

soccersss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By soccersss
    @Kairan1979 said:
    Let's not forget Terry McGinnis a.k.a. Batman Beyond, who, as we learn in the episode "Epilogue", is Bruce's clone.
    Ok Im gonna disagree with your example. In the episode "Epilogue" it was revealed Terry's DNA was modified to be a copy of Bruce. He still had some of his parents DNA. Terry isnt really a clone. I dont know the perfect term to describe Terry but I definitely wont use the word 'clone'
    Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soccersss: It was the same process as Boys from Brazil. Cloning.

Iron_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Iron_Turtle
    These girls seem to have turned out ok. 
    These girls seem to have turned out ok. 
    Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Hazlenaut

would you accept formerly evil? Brianna Diggers hasn't been in a long while and she is part of the family. she is a little trigger happy though.

No Caption Provided
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Or35ti said:

@CitizenBane said:

Beg to differ.
    Beg to differ.

Seconded.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@Enzeru said:

I hate X-23. Terrible, terrible, terrible origin with the prostitution and so on.

O_O aside from the prostitution(didn't read that 3 issue run, not really interested in it) her origin comics were pretty great stories but to each their own she may be too angsty/emo for you lol i hear that from a lot of people who aren't fans and it's completely understandable ^____^

Writers also forget she is not to be like wolverine, she's suppose to be a machine not a snarling animal like wolverine

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By fodigg

@Kairan1979 said:

Actually not quite. He's genetically Bruce Wayne's son, not clone.

---

Clones are often used for the "body snatcher" or "evil twin" tropes, so it's understandable.

ithinkitwasyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ithinkitwasyou

@soccersss said:

@ithinkitwasyou said:

@soccersss said:

@ithinkitwasyou said:

Carnage killed the original Gwen Stacy but a perfect clone of her emerged later and is still alive. You should give the ultimate comics a chance. IMHO before the crap known as ultimatum hit, ultimate comics especially ultimate spider-man was brilliant and it could rival the 616 comics

Right, I remember, the and the clone had blue eyes, eventually turning into carnage....that falls under the gross category.

evil

dead

or gross.

ithinkitwasyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ithinkitwasyou
    Phoenix-Warsong
    Phoenix-Warsong
    evil, gross, and dead.
    evil, gross, and dead.
    Phoenix-Warsong dead
    Phoenix-Warsong dead
    New X-men 150 dead
    New X-men 150 dead
    evil
    evil
    No Caption Provided

Okay keeping in mind that I actually really like the cuckoos, they still have all been, evil, gross or dead.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.