Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23675 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Best "New 52" series so far?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I've been flicking through a lot of Batman graphic novels recently but cant make my mind up which new 52 title to go for...what is your favourite?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By the_tree

Batman. I really liked the Court of Owls stuff, I thought the Death of the Family was mediocre, and I think Zero Year is great.

I would've said Batman and Robin, but the title feels like it's been meandering since Damian died.

Detective Comics has been good ever since Layman took over, too, but it's yet to blow me away.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

For me I've grown a liking to Red Hood and the Outlaws, since Lobdell left though I've been a bit uninterested with the early parts of what Tynion has been doing but he's built enough intrigue as far as I'm concerned with the current arc. Aquaman has so far been consistent in quality so that's a plus and I've enjoyed the Batman title though I admit I'm one of those people that isn't really a fan of how Scott Snyder ended both DotF and Night of Owls I do like his writing style. Earth 2 has definitely managed to grab my attention.

There are others but the swapping of writers has made things that some have a great first half weak latter half while others have a great second half but weak first.

To list it off

RHATO, Aquaman, Batman and Earth 2 are my favorites so far.

SpartanAmy107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SpartanAmy107

Only read the Justice League to be honest, but Flash Batman and Superman are all on my list of purchases. I'm liking these new graphic novels a lot.

ghinzdra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Swamp thing/ Am were great until rotworld.

Batman was great until night of the owls

Batman and robin was great during the nobody arc. They do a very good job lately considering the circumstances but with robin dead the book is just a shadow of what it should be

Justice league is still struggling : it started to become good with throne of Atlantis. Trinity war had its moments. Forever evil can be great... But so far johns has been unable to really knock it out of the park

I have a soft spot for john constantine and Constantine and jl dark are nice but they're not great

As of now the dc book I enjoy reading the most is not part of the new 52, it's injustice god among us... If someone had told me a year ago that the best dc book would be a vodeogame adaptation...

trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghinzdra said:

Swamp thing/ Am were great until rotworld.

Batman was great until night of the owls

Batman and robin was great during the nobody arc. They do a very good job lately considering the circumstances but with robin dead the book is just a shadow of what it should be

Justice league is still struggling : it started to become good with throne of Atlantis. Trinity war had its moments. Forever evil can be great... But so far johns has been unable to really knock it out of the park

I have a soft spot for john constantine and Constantine and jl dark are nice but they're not great

As of now the dc book I enjoy reading the most is not part of the new 52, it's injustice god among us... If someone had told me a year ago that the best dc book would be a vodeogame adaptation...

This is Batman Only, pretty sure.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By PeppeyHare

Batman,Bats and Robin, and DC since layman took over

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Green Arrow used to be one of the worst of the New 52. Ever since Lemire and Sorrentino came along, it's been one of the best.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman and Robin, Detective Comics.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

@xwraith said:

Green Arrow used to be one of the worst of the New 52. Ever since Lemire and Sorrentino came along, it's been one of the best.

I think he was just asking specifically for Batman series since he posted in the Batman forum.

Don't feel bad though, I almost did the same thing when I first saw the topic lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@xwraith said:

I think he was just asking specifically for Batman series since he posted in the Batman forum.

Don't feel bad though, I almost did the same thing when I first saw the topic lol.

I didn't even see it was in the Batman forum.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Detective Comics is great.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I almost thought this was the best New 52 book thread. In terms of the Bat Family, I'd rate Batman and being the best of the bunch. Tomasi has consistently written the best quality Batman stories despite a dip with War of the Robins and that Zombie arc. Snyder's been variable in quality, Detective has only been good since Layman came on and The Dark Knight isn't good either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Batman Inc.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@xwraith said:

Still not as bad as Hawk and Dove. I just couldn't believe how awful it was compared to all the others.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Bruxae

Ill have to go with Swamp Thing, its been good all the way in my opinion.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By SaintWildcard

Batman/Superman, its the only way I would ever read a Bat title, with Superman in it.

Avatar image for jjdajetplane223
    jjdajetplane223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jjdajetplane223

I loved all the Scott Snyder BATMAN stuff. I'd say, so far, it goes Zero Year, Death of the Family, and Court of Owls.

I also am enjoying the current Batman/Superman story.

HighlyEvolved

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman. Though only up to night of owls. I really didn't enjoy DoTF.

Justice League also rocks.

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Batman

Detective comics

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@lvenger said:

I almost thought this was the best New 52 book thread. In terms of the Bat Family, I'd rate Batman and being the best of the bunch. Tomasi has consistently written the best quality Batman stories despite a dip with War of the Robins and that Zombie arc. Snyder's been variable in quality, Detective has only been good since Layman came on and The Dark Knight isn't good either.

Actually you are right, I was thinking graphic novel titles under the new 52 heading.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By infantfinite128

I would go with the Court of Owls, because you get a good pretty stand a lone story, however if you really enjoy it, there's more. Either way you'll be satisfied. Kind of like the Long Halloween and Dark Victory. I really enjoyed the Death of the Family up until the last issue, which turned me off from the story. It wasn't a bad issue though! However, I was reading all the tie-ins which may have influenced it. I was pretty sick of villains being overpowered in the New 52. I don't like Riddler having over 20 ways to break out of his cell or Joker being able to "teleport" all over the place with ninja skills. The story is so dark, that when things like that happen, it seems really cheesy to me.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Catwoman for me hands down. Second is AquaMan and third GreenArrow, but if the new writer can't dishout for aquaman, then green arrow is moving up.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
    RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Batman.

Phenomen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman (Snyder) + Nightwing + Batgirl for ultimate Batman experience. Catwoman and Batwoman both trash.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is very overrated.

• Court of owls was derivative, full of filler, had no real conclusion and had poor characterization of Batman.
    • DofF likewise had poor characterization, and an ending that had absolutely no impact whatsoever.
    • Zero year had been OK so far, although the changes Snyder have made to both Batman's and Joker's origins have only detracted from the characters.

TDK and DC have both been hit and miss, with some good issues and some wtf issues.

Batman and Robin is the only series that has been consistently excellent.

The Nobody arc and handling the death of Damian were perfect. Without Robin the title has still been good.

RedHoodFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RedHoodFive

Gotta say, I'm loving Red Hood too. But my favorite would have to be Batman or Batman/Superman.

NerdyLeagueUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm kind of new to comics, but having recently been introduced to plenty of comic books by a couple of friends, these are my favourites:

- Justice League of America

- The Flash (the first graphic novel is incredible!)

- Suicide Squad (the graphic novel usually reads better because the story is so complex, they can't usually fit enough information in the comic books)

and finally...

- Batman comics and Batgirl comics (the Batman graphic novels are obviously amazing, especially the latest one, and the Batgirl graphic novels are far too underrated - I think they're brilliant)

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Batman by Scott Snyder

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@bezza said:

I've been flicking through a lot of Batman graphic novels recently but cant make my mind up which new 52 title to go for...what is your favourite?

C'mon dude,'Batman' no competition.....what?...Batman Inc.?......Dark Knight?....Legends?.....they dont even come second....

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Li'l Gotham

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.