Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23658 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Arkham Manor & Gotham Academy - 2 NEW Batman On-Goings

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kidchipotle

Two new Batman series are launching in October, as announced by DC Comics on EW.com Monday morning. The series take slightly off-kilter looks at the world of Batman with several creators new to the family of books, and one return.

Both series are being listed as ongoing, and both are well outside the box of your standard Batman comic book. The first, Arkham Manor by Gerry Duggan and Shawn Crystal, is described as “stately Wayne manor [getting] made over into the local psycho dungeon” by EW, without any other explanation behind the change.

The other seems like something that’s come right from Tumblr: Gotham Academy, written by Becky Cloonan (who has previously worked on Batman as an artist) and Brendan Fletcher with art by Karl Kerschl. The series is a “monthly teen drama set at Gotham City’s most prestigious prep school.” Bruce Wayne is one of the school’s chief benefactors.

Perhaps the most surprising part of the announcement for fans is that DC Comics confirmed to Newsarama both of these series are “considered New 52 in-continuity.” That means that at some point in the next few months, something is happening to Arkham Asylum. Also, what does this mean for Batman/Bruce Wayne? Where will he be living? Will the Batcave remain underneat the now remodeled Wayne Manor, serving as a mental institution for his worst foes?

Batman writer Scott Snyder so far isn't telling, but did shout out his enthusiasm on twitter, praising both creative teams and Batman group editor Mark Doyle. "Very proud of pal @markedoyle for making these books happen. Trying daring concepts, bringing in new (to Gotham) creators…. & more to come," Snyder said, after personally welcoming the creators into the Batman fold.

Both series premiere in print (with industry standard same-day digital releases), DC also confirmed, and will ship on a monthly basis.

We'll be continuing to follow-up with DC Comics on the announcements.

Batman: Arkham Manor
    Batman: Arkham Manor
    Batman: Gotham Academy
    Batman: Gotham Academy

Thoughts on this?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By kidchipotle

bump

RedAlert539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yup. The great DC is getting worse by the day. Such a rich universe filled with cool and intersting characters and with so much history. And instead of giving them their own titles DC decides to put out these....umm...i really dunno what to call them. It seems that every dumb idea will get it's own title these days as long as it's even slightly related to Batman.

Now i know these haven't been out yet so i can't judge something without seeing it first but that's not my point here. I'm simply refering to the mentality behind these releases. This Batman mania has to stop before it destroys DC and soon. Seriously.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Are you F*cking kidding me? Why they infest the Batman universe with these?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

HAHAHAHA. I actually like the idea of Gotham Academy,especially if it features Tim Drake and Stephanie Brown as lead characters,Arkham Manor though I need more info to be sold.

I'd rather they show more diversity and creativity than give us mundane crime books.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HAHAHAHA. I actually like the idea of Gotham Academy,especially if it features Tim Drake and Stephanie Brown as lead characters,Arkham Manor though I need more info to be sold.

@black_arrow said:

I'd rather they show more diversity and creativity than give us mundane crime books.

No I would prefer that they give a book to other characters, instead of doing Batman spin offs.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By redwingx

There are SO MANY characters who deserve their own book but NOOO DC!!!! MORE BATMAN!!!!!!!!!

I'll give Gotham Academy a chance tho.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Arkham manor sounds great.

CuddleBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tween gotham? isn't CW's Arrow torture enough? Stupid kids can't relate unless the characters are their age stupid, stupid, stupid! Lets cut gotham academy for Gotham Central... damn kids get off my lawwwwn!

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I am so sick of Batman titles. It's part of the reason I don't read much DC anymore. Batman is EVERYWHERE.

Avatar image for twix_right_side
    Twix_Right_Side

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember that time that I actually liked DC......

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's a hint DC: when trying to look to fan-fiction for new stories, at least try to pick from those who are good, instead of the 99% that are completely awful.

I mean, Gotham Academy, seriously? That literally sounds like something taken from a fan-fiction written by a fifteen year-old girl on FF.net, or whatever.

Whoever green-lit this horseshit deserves to get fired.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll check this out. Arkham manor may be cool but not sure about Gotham academy. I'll only get that if Batman's in it a lot. Also, are these new 52?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

I'll check this out. Arkham manor may be cool but not sure about Gotham academy. I'll only get that if Batman's in it a lot. Also, are these new 52?

Yeah, these are in-continuity New 52 series.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Saren

Wah, I'm upset that a company that exists to make money by telling stories chooses to tell stories that make money. I wish they'd make books about other characters! All those times their books featuring lesser known characters failed because no one wanted to read about those characters don't count!

Get real.

Gotham Academy has some novelty value, I guess, but it better have some recognizable faces. Arkham Manor? I dunno, but I enjoy Gerry Dugan's Deadpool, so I'll at least give it a try.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: Thanks, I completely missed that when I read through the first time somehow

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

Wah, I'm upset that a company that exists to make money by telling stories chooses to tell stories that make money. I wish they'd make books about other characters! All those times their books featuring lesser known characters failed because no one wanted to read about those characters don't count!

Get real.

Gotham Academy has some novelty value, I guess, but it better have some recognizable faces. Arkham Manor? I dunno, but I enjoy Gerry Dugan's Deadpool, so I'll at least give it a try.

I don't think that Gotham Academy will make much money.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@saren said:

Get real.

It may not, but it exists because it's tied to the industry's best-selling character. If any of Superman's books managed to sell more than 40k a month, there might be a Metropolis Academy book. If Wonder Woman had the ability to hold down more than one book, there'd be a Themyscira Academy book. But they don't, and so there aren't. If a company has to make books based on guesses about how profitable they'd be, why wouldn't they make the most educated guess possible and go with what's proven to make money?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

These news are awesome and the books seem promising. The creative teams and the covers so far are interesting and I will most definitely be trying them out to see what they offer and if they are good enough. They may not sell that well but as long as DC are risking it with them and have actually decided to give us such books then we should honor them and read them because in the end they have some pretty amazing creative teams.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My theory...DC is trying to appeal to new readers. The only way to do that, in a way Marvel cannot, is via Batman.

Virtually every store sells something Batman. And guess what? They're making a killing on it.

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
    Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see Gotham Academy lasting to long ,but A book about Batman running a jail may have legs.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:

@black_arrow said:

@saren said:

Get real.

It may not, but it exists because it's tied to the industry's best-selling character. If any of Superman's books managed to sell more than 40k a month, there might be a Metropolis Academy book. If Wonder Woman had the ability to hold down more than one book, there'd be a Themyscira Academy book. But they don't, and so there aren't. If a company has to make books based on guesses about how profitable they'd be, why wouldn't they make the most educated guess possible and go with what's proven to make money?

Safe bets aren't always the best bets and being related to Batman doesn't assure the best sales.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lifeofvibe

gotham academy this is mine, this very much is mine

I wonder who at dc been reading my stuff...oh well

if its anything like my stuff it wont have any major characters

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Haha, Gotham Acedemy looks awesome!

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have any Batman books on my pull list but I might have to check these out. It would be nice if they gave some other characters books instead of more batman spin offs but I guess Batman is what sells.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm pretty sure that the white girl with the black hair is harper row...but who knows...maybe it's Cassie...(*fingers crossed*)

quinical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotham Academy sounds iffy to me. Kev Smith and Paul Dini came up with a Bludhaven Academy idea a good while back before Gotham (TV show) was fully developed about having a younger Bruce Wayne go to a prep school and solve crimes whole at this boarding school, somewhat Harry Potter style. This might be DC's way of capture the same audience who were really pushing for that idea as a TV show (but they have Gotham now so whatever). Btw anyone notice the "Gotham through the Ages" book?

Here's them coming up with the idea on Kevin Smith's Fatman on Batman podcast: It starts to get interesting after the first 20 minutes if u want to skip ahead.

http://smodcast.com/episodes/paul-dini-shadow-of-the-bat/

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

arkham manor looks cool, i will not get gotham academy if it does not have any characters i know though

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

@jayc1324 said:

arkham manor looks cool, i will not get gotham academy if it does not have any characters i know though

I think that in the first 2 or 3 issues some familiar characters will show up, to gather as much readers as they can, and then the story proceeds as a kids show xd

hope Cassie appears there, but honestly, my only real hopes, are on Grayson...the fist of Cain cult, and all...it seems pointless to me, to give the group that name, if it wasn't to bring back Cassie...or at least, to bring back David Cain, and thus, bringing back Cassie in the near future.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.