Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23664 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

An overlooked problem with the Hush Arc

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By RainEffect

Now, I know that Hush comes under a lot of criticism for many reasons. Underneath the pile of criticism, you have to give it to Loeb, he did put a lot of thought into introducing Elliot and pushing Batman as much as he could. However, I was thinking the other day, there is one overlooked problem that starts the entire arc. 

Batman's rope gets cut. 

Now, there are two problems with this, and they are as follows.

1. Last time I checked, he didn't use rope. He uses jet cables.
    2. Wouldn't Batman, the master of contingency plans, have a back-up grapple gun?
    If Daredevil, someone much, much less funded than Batman, has almost indestructible jet cables between his billy clubs, you would think that the Batman would have something similar? 

So, what are your opinions on this, guys?
    TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: -1

#2  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

The jet cables I guess you could look at how Batman explained the Batmobile's tire getting cut, the person who did so knew what Batman was using and how thick it was thus knew what to use to cut it. At least that would be the best explanation in my mind.

As for the extra grapple gun, I agree that Bruce probably would have had an extra if you bring it up like that.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By entropy_aegis

Loeb sucks simple,Kgbeast and Deadshot have done the same.Damian did it to Tim Drake.

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RedOwl_1

The point was making him fall, Is it possible with a cable and his preparations? No, but they were concentrating in doing big things that they forget little details of congruence (That happen to me often, in school jobs)

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By RainEffect

Another thing that I completely forgot:

Batman's cape allows him to glide. At the velocity he is falling, it would act like a parachute. 

The point is, Mr. Loeb, Batman has about three contingencies to enact if he falls from a immense height.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By batkevin74

Possible plausible explanation: Hush had a diamond tool cutter shuriken to sever the rope/cable, Batman having a lot on his mind and watching Catwoman's behind didn't pack the spare grappel gun and as he reached for where it would've been instinctively cursed himself for being so amateurish, this happens as he's falling and even Batman is gravity's bitch! So he grasps at the gargoyle that collapses so Bat'a goes to activate the glidy cape which did change his trajectory to land on the pile of garbage & planks instead of impaling into the fence. Plus the height is only by guesstimation 8 stories and like parachutes, the glidy-cape is only effective when deployed at a certain height to slow a fall.

How's that!?!

nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By nightwing91

Little late but.

No Caption Provided
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By entropy_aegis

@nightwing91 said:

Little late but.

No Caption Provided

LOL,if Deadshot could'nt do it properly then no way in hell can Hush.

nightwing91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By nightwing91

@entropy_aegis: Haha my entire point, and canon evidence of the line's material.Just yet another example of why Hush was a flawed story lol.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By cosmo111687

Almost every comic book writer takes some liberties with reality. I remember how in Scott Snyder's Detective Comics run, Dick Grayson observed that Roadrunner's bionic legs were made of titanium and a few panels later, he crushed them with just his foot. Batman getting his cable cut was primarily just a plot-device used to get him injured enough so that he would end up calling Thomas. And it could also be argued that it served the secondary purpose of showing how much a threat Hush is by having him cut the cable when so many others have failed (similar to how Jason Todd cut the cable with his knife in Under The Red Hood).

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#11  Edited By Joygirl

Whatever. Cable or no cable, I loved Hush. If Loeb had to take a little artistic license... then so freakin' be it.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By entropy_aegis

@nightwing91 said:

@entropy_aegis: Haha my entire point, and canon evidence of the line's material.Just yet another example of why Hush was a flawed story lol.

LOL@cosmo111687 said:

Almost every comic book writer takes some liberties with reality. I remember how in Scott Snyder's Detective Comics run, Dick Grayson observed that Roadrunner's bionic legs were made of titanium and a few panels later, he crushed them with just his foot. Batman getting his cable cut was primarily just a plot-device used to get him injured enough so that he would end up calling Thomas. And it could also be argued that it served the secondary purpose of showing how much a threat Hush is by having him cut the cable when so many others have failed (similar to how Jason Todd cut the cable with his knife in Under The Red Hood).

Agreed,but it's a weak plot device.Kgbeast and Deadfrigginshot a guy who was examining his cable could'nt do it properly.Bruce honestly should have not been injured enough to call some unknown guy who coincidentally is also the main villain.MEH.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By Saren

@entropy_aegis said:

@nightwing91 said:

LOL@cosmo111687 said:

Agreed,but it's a weak plot device.Kgbeast and Deadfrigginshot a guy who was examining his cable could'nt do it properly.Bruce honestly should have not been injured enough to call some unknown guy who coincidentally is also the main villain.MEH.

Didn't they explain that? Hush got Harold to insert a subliminal loop in the Batcomputer that flashed Elliot's face at random intervals. So when he needed a surgeon, Tommy was the first person he thought of.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By entropy_aegis

@CitizenBane said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@nightwing91 said:

LOL@cosmo111687 said:

Didn't they explain that? Hush got Harold to insert a subliminal loop in the Batcomputer that flashed Elliot's face at random intervals. So when he needed a surgeon, Tommy was the first person he thought of.

Oh wow,Hush became even more stupid.I guess Bruce never bothered to check why Elliot's face was flashing at him randomly.Regardless he did'nt need Elliot in Knightfall,so he has no reason to call him now.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Saren

@entropy_aegis said:

@CitizenBane said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@nightwing91 said:

LOL@cosmo111687 said:

Oh wow,Hush became even more stupid.I guess Bruce never bothered to check why Elliot's face was flashing at him randomly.Regardless he did'nt need Elliot in Knightfall,so he has no reason to call him now.

It was a subliminal thing, he only noticed it subconsciously or something like that.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By entropy_aegis

@CitizenBane said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@CitizenBane said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@nightwing91 said:

LOL@cosmo111687 said:

It was a subliminal thing, he only noticed it subconsciously or something like that.

I love to bash Loeb.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By cosmo111687

@CitizenBane: @entropy_aegis:He didn't call Thomas after having his back broken because Harold didn't put the tampered chips into the Batcomputer until sometime during/after No Man's Land.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By entropy_aegis

@cosmo111687 said:

@CitizenBane: @entropy_aegis:He didn't call Thomas after having his back broken because Harold didn't put the tampered chips into the Batcomputer until sometime during/after No Man's Land.

But Alfred was still able to stabilize him,the injuries in Knightfall were much worse.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Saren

@entropy_aegis said:

@cosmo111687 said:

But Alfred was still able to stabilize him,the injuries in Knightfall were much worse.

He could have survived with a broken back. In Hush his skull was fractured, he would have died without surgery.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By entropy_aegis

@CitizenBane said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@cosmo111687 said:

He could have survived with a broken back. In Hush his skull was fractured, he would have died without surgery.

The back was broken in 6 places,and he was injured and fatigued badly even prior to that.After breaking his back Bane tossed him from a building and he was also poisoned by Scarecrow.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Saren

@entropy_aegis said:

@CitizenBane said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@cosmo111687 said:

The back was broken in 6 places,and he was injured and fatigued badly even prior to that.After breaking his back Bane tossed him from a building and he was also poisoned by Scarecrow.

......yeah, but.......Jeph Loeb, idk.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By entropy_aegis

@CitizenBane said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@CitizenBane said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@cosmo111687 said:

......yeah, but.......Jeph Loeb, idk.

LOL

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#23  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
    @RainEffect said:
    Another thing that I completely forgot:  Batman's cape allows him to glide. At the velocity he is falling, it would act like a parachute.   The point is, Mr. Loeb, Batman has about three contingencies to enact if he falls from a immense height.
    In Loeb's defense, until about the time of Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and Batman: Arkham Asylum Batman never, well as far as I know, used his cape for gliding like we're use to see him do now. It wasn't until the idea of him using his cape as a way to glide or "fly" was brough in with the newer movies did writer begin to use the "para-cape", like Grant Morrison began to do in Batman and Robin where he wrote both of the Dynamic Duo gliding down to the Gotham Police Department with their capes.

So in my opinion, looking at how the para-cape was not used by Batman rarely, if ever, until the time of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight and how the Hush storyline came out before those movies did, I don't think it's fair to blame Loeb or to say he neglected for Batman to use his cape to break his fall like that as of that point in time no one really used Batman's cape in that fashion before. At least that's my best explanation.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.