Comic Vine News

83 Comments

NIGHTCRAWLER On-going series in April

Chris Claremont pens the upcoming X-related title about everyone's favorite blue elf.

NIGHTCRAWLER #1 cover by Chris Samnee

You may have seen the teaser the other day which just said "BAMF!" Well, Marvel just announced that coming in April, Nightcrawler will get his own on-going series for the first time in years. The series will be written by longtime X-Men scribe Chris Claremont and drawn by Todd Nauck. A lot has changed in the world of X-Men, since Kurt Wagner's death and part of this book will explore that.

Joining Nightcrawler on his new adventure will be his longtime teammate and drinking buddy Wolverine. With Logan's involvement also comes a bit of a reality check for Kurt, as he will become aware of the deep schisms that have formed within the X-Men since he last saw them. Professor X has died, Cyclops has become the fugitive leader of a band of revolutionaries, Wolverine guides impressionable young mutants as the headmaster of the Jean Grey School, and most of Kurt's closest friends find themselves ideological opposites.

It sounds as though this new series will really take a look at how the world has changed and the relationships Kurt once had with his fellow X-Men.

Those interested in this upcoming series should really be reading AMAZING X-MEN, written by Jason Aaron and drawn by Ed McGuinness. In it, the X-Men find themselves in the afterlife, where Azazel, Nightcrawler's father, is on a quest to conquer Hell. It's going to take the X-Men and Nightcrawler working together to stop his reign of pirate-related terror.

Make sure to check out this new series this April by Claremont and Nauck, and check out some of Nauck's sketches for the series below!

What do you guys think about this series? How will Kurt come back to the living?

85 Comments
  • 85 results
  • 1
  • 2
Posted by longbowhunter

Hope they've got a good hook for this series.

Posted by Xwraith

If I can work it into my pull-list, I might pick it up.

Online
Edited by Wardishy

Story angle sounds interesting and I'm liking the art. Plus it's Nightcrawler. Who the hell doesn't like Nightcrawler?

I haven't managed to start Amazing X-Men yet though. I guess I'll have to read up on that before this series comes out.

Posted by ShadowSwordmaster

I'm going to pick this up when it comes out.

Online
Posted by The Stegman

As I said before, i don't see it lasting. He's an interesting character, and the series could be great, but mutants who aren't Wolverine won't survive an ongoing..right Gambit?

Online
Edited by GrenadeFlow

Pass

Posted by Master_Thief

As I said before, i don't see it lasting. He's an interesting character, and the series could be great, but mutants who aren't Wolverine won't survive an ongoing..right Gambit?

Thats probably why wolverine is in it

Edited by Pixel_Kaiser

SO hyped for this. There's so much catch-up for Nightcrawler to experience, what with him being dead during the biggest shakeups in the past two decades for the X-Men. If Claremont can tap into his old fun, pathos-rich writing, then I think this could do to Kurt what Mark Waid and Chris Samnee did to Daredevil. I mean, hey, they're both swashbucklers!

So buy it! PLEASE don't let this die. This is a dream come true for me, and deserves a chance at success. The whole "it's not gonna last" naysaying is only hurting things; give it a shot, let it prove itself!

Posted by inferiorego

As I said before, i don't see it lasting. He's an interesting character, and the series could be great, but mutants who aren't Wolverine won't survive an ongoing..right Gambit?

Right Storm?

Right Sabretooth?

Right Mystique? (She actually lasted a while)

Right Dazzler?

Right Colossus?

Right Cable?

Staff
Edited by Pixel_Kaiser

@the_stegman said:

As I said before, i don't see it lasting. He's an interesting character, and the series could be great, but mutants who aren't Wolverine won't survive an ongoing..right Gambit?

Right Storm?

Right Sabretooth?

Right Mystique? (She actually lasted a while)

Right Dazzler?

Right Colossus?

Right Cable?

Dazzler lasted for like forty issues, and Cable has had more than enough solo time...

Not to say that they aren't undeserving characters, but I don't really see how they're comparable. =P

Posted by mcgregorp

wow can wait kurts awesome

Posted by inferiorego
Staff
Posted by The Stegman

@pixel_kaiser: i guess i wasn't being funny enough

i quit

There is no room on the internet for humor. You take that mess to Russia!

Online
Edited by Pixel_Kaiser

@pixel_kaiser: i guess i wasn't being funny enough

i quit

Ha, I thought maybe you were joking, yeah, but the comment about Mystique's book sort of threw me off. Sorry!

Posted by frogdog

As I said before, i don't see it lasting. He's an interesting character, and the series could be great, but mutants who aren't Wolverine won't survive an ongoing..right Gambit?

Who gives a f**k about lasting as long any of wolverine's book? I rather have short run of good stories, than an endless sea of mediocrity and crap that plagues wolverine's books.

Edited by Maddpanda531

Wait, is this called "Nightcrawler" or "X-Men Legacy" (The picture says "X-Men Legacy (2014) #1)? I'm confused...

Posted by inferiorego

@inferiorego said:

@pixel_kaiser: i guess i wasn't being funny enough

i quit

There is no room on the internet for humor. You take that mess to Russia!

Thank god I get to bomb on stage tonight. In real life.

Staff
Posted by bladewolf

If it's 2.99, I'll buy it. If not, no dice.

Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

I say let it die

Edited by Pixel_Kaiser

@maddpanda531 said:

Wait, is this called "Nightcrawler" or "X-Men Legacy" (The picture says "X-Men Legacy (2014) #1)? I'm confused...

According to Nick Lowe, it started out as the next volume of X-Men Legacy. But then they changed it to be a Nightcrawler solo book. I guess they forgot to edit that picture.

Posted by HAWK2916

While I like Nightcrawler..... I like him in the team setting. This news will not make me change my stance on being against solo's. Plus another book with Wolverine in it?!!!! Enough is enough really. This guy does not have to be part of every single x-related book

Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee

Well, I'm glad I was wrong about this in the initial article. So....

YES!!! A NIGHTCRAWLER SERIES!!! Now I just need to figure out which title to drop so I can read this...

Posted by MadeinBangladesh

dropping amazing xmen for this

Online
Posted by Pixel_Kaiser

@hawk2916 said:

While I like Nightcrawler..... I like him in the team setting. This news will not make me change my stance on being against solo's. Plus another book with Wolverine in it?!!!! Enough is enough really. This guy does not have to be part of every single x-related book

They've only said he'll be part of the first arc. Seeings how he's more or less Nightcrawler's best friend, it makes sense. I doubt he'll be in every issue of the book.

Posted by westy206

Oh no. I want this and Magneto and X-factor. It's all to much. Ahhhh

Posted by noj

This is cool and all but why havent you guys reported on the new Aquaman and the Others series by Dan Jurgens yet? The stories already a day old which is forever in internet time.

Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt

Ooooooohhhhhh yyyyyyeeeaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by New_World_Order
Posted by Perfect 10

and this couldnt have been handled in amazing x-men? marvel really needs to take more risks and give other characters chances. they keep giving the same people (black widow, shehulk, nightcrawler, etc.) ongoings, they fail, they get cancelled and then relaunch. obviously there isnt a big enough fanbase to give you the numbers you want marvel so let it go and give other characters a chance: photon, storm, misty knight (a real solo series not some book where she sits behind a computer the whole series) and others. but yeah cant give a black woman a solo series sigh

Posted by iceslick

@inferiorego: So, I'm confused is Amazing X-Men a mini series or an ongoing?

Online
Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse

Cool. Not a big fan of Nauck's work, though.

Online
Posted by Maddpanda531

@pixel_kaiser: Ah, I see. I kinda like the Legacy title better. Really fits in with the theme of the book.

Posted by wimble23

Well the only reason I picked up Amazing X-Men was for Nightcrawler so I guess I will drop that to read this.

Posted by Teerack

Iceman deserved his own book way more. >:[

Posted by Transformers1024

Can't wait to check this out! Hope it's a good jump on point with out knowing too much that's happened in recent events since I've dropped a lot of X-Men titles.

Should also be nice for the Nightcrawler collection though. I have his 4 issue mini series from the 80's. I think I still have his Icon run and oddly enough I was going to order all 12 issues from his last run a few weeks ago. Looks like I'm picking those up for sure now.

Posted by danhimself

I really don't understand why anyone is excited about a Claremont book....does no one remember X-men Forever, All-New Exiles, and Xtreme X-men?

Posted by Smurfboy

Ah, so it's Nightcrawler. Love to pick it up but I betcha it'll be $3.99. Can't afford so many awesome titles with the tag of 3.99. Shame. :( However, I do wish this new serious a good luck, though! Hope it lasts for many years to come.

Posted by Aeron_Glyndwr

Ehhhhhh pass

Edited by Super_SoldierXII

Claremont. Nightcrawler. Wolverine. Camaraderie. Nostalgia. Beer.

Did I say Claremont?

I am so in for this.

Posted by Super_SoldierXII

I really don't understand why anyone is excited about a Claremont book....does no one remember X-men Forever, All-New Exiles, and Xtreme X-men?

Because he put the X-Men on the map.

Does no one remember 100's of issues of classic goodness?

Every writer's had bad bouts and failed attempts. Near the end of his career, when he tried to come back after writing novels, his writing got stale and tired, too word intensive (even for him), so he stepped back again.

I think he's worth giving the benefit of the doubt to once more despite. Especially when it centers around Kurt and Logan ... two characters Claremont breathed more depth into than any other who's come since (Claremont / Miller mini still personifies the core of what Wolverine is to this day).

Posted by Wolverine08

Looks awesome.

Posted by danhimself

@danhimself said:

I really don't understand why anyone is excited about a Claremont book....does no one remember X-men Forever, All-New Exiles, and Xtreme X-men?

Because he put the X-Men on the map.

Does no one remember 100's of issues of classic goodness?

Every writer's had bad bouts and failed attempts. Near the end of his career, when he tried to come back after writing novels, his writing got stale and tired, too word intensive (even for him), so he stepped back again.

I think he's worth giving the benefit of the doubt to once more despite. Especially when it centers around Kurt and Logan ... two characters Claremont breathed more depth into than any other who's come since (Claremont / Miller mini still personifies the core of what Wolverine is to this day).

he ruined Exiles to the point of cancellation and not even a relaunch and a new writer could get people back on board....his X-men run may be a classic but everything since then has been garbage

Posted by Super_SoldierXII

@super_soldierxii said:

@danhimself said:

I really don't understand why anyone is excited about a Claremont book....does no one remember X-men Forever, All-New Exiles, and Xtreme X-men?

Because he put the X-Men on the map.

Does no one remember 100's of issues of classic goodness?

Every writer's had bad bouts and failed attempts. Near the end of his career, when he tried to come back after writing novels, his writing got stale and tired, too word intensive (even for him), so he stepped back again.

I think he's worth giving the benefit of the doubt to once more despite. Especially when it centers around Kurt and Logan ... two characters Claremont breathed more depth into than any other who's come since (Claremont / Miller mini still personifies the core of what Wolverine is to this day).

he ruined Exiles to the point of cancellation and not even a relaunch and a new writer could get people back on board....his X-men run may be a classic but everything since then has been garbage

Exiles was heading toward cancellation before Claremont even touched it. What he has or has not accomplished according to your perspective doesn't make it so.

He's not your cup of tea. Fine. But your blanket comments are highly misleading. They're your opinion. Not universal "truth".

Edited by Wolverine08

@danhimself said:

I really don't understand why anyone is excited about a Claremont book....does no one remember X-men Forever, All-New Exiles, and Xtreme X-men?

Because he put the X-Men on the map.

Does no one remember 100's of issues of classic goodness?

Every writer's had bad bouts and failed attempts. Near the end of his career, when he tried to come back after writing novels, his writing got stale and tired, too word intensive (even for him), so he stepped back again.

I think he's worth giving the benefit of the doubt to once more despite. Especially when it centers around Kurt and Logan ... two characters Claremont breathed more depth into than any other who's come since (Claremont / Miller mini still personifies the core of what Wolverine is to this day).

Well said.

Posted by danhimself

@danhimself said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@danhimself said:

I really don't understand why anyone is excited about a Claremont book....does no one remember X-men Forever, All-New Exiles, and Xtreme X-men?

Because he put the X-Men on the map.

Does no one remember 100's of issues of classic goodness?

Every writer's had bad bouts and failed attempts. Near the end of his career, when he tried to come back after writing novels, his writing got stale and tired, too word intensive (even for him), so he stepped back again.

I think he's worth giving the benefit of the doubt to once more despite. Especially when it centers around Kurt and Logan ... two characters Claremont breathed more depth into than any other who's come since (Claremont / Miller mini still personifies the core of what Wolverine is to this day).

he ruined Exiles to the point of cancellation and not even a relaunch and a new writer could get people back on board....his X-men run may be a classic but everything since then has been garbage

Exiles was heading toward cancellation before Claremont even touched it. What he has or has not accomplished according to your perspective doesn't make it so.

He's not your cup of tea. Fine. But your blanket comments are highly misleading. They're your opinion. Not universal "truth".

what has he written since his X-men run that's been good?

Posted by Super_SoldierXII

@super_soldierxii said:

@danhimself said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@danhimself said:

I really don't understand why anyone is excited about a Claremont book....does no one remember X-men Forever, All-New Exiles, and Xtreme X-men?

Because he put the X-Men on the map.

Does no one remember 100's of issues of classic goodness?

Every writer's had bad bouts and failed attempts. Near the end of his career, when he tried to come back after writing novels, his writing got stale and tired, too word intensive (even for him), so he stepped back again.

I think he's worth giving the benefit of the doubt to once more despite. Especially when it centers around Kurt and Logan ... two characters Claremont breathed more depth into than any other who's come since (Claremont / Miller mini still personifies the core of what Wolverine is to this day).

he ruined Exiles to the point of cancellation and not even a relaunch and a new writer could get people back on board....his X-men run may be a classic but everything since then has been garbage

Exiles was heading toward cancellation before Claremont even touched it. What he has or has not accomplished according to your perspective doesn't make it so.

He's not your cup of tea. Fine. But your blanket comments are highly misleading. They're your opinion. Not universal "truth".

what has he written since his X-men run that's been good?

I'm not taking the bait. You and I will clearly disagree on this last point.

In any case, what I like here is the potential to reinvigorate what he DID do that was GREAT. He put Wolverine, a relative unknown and B-class character on the map. He instilled the feeling of "family" and depth into the X-Men that propelled them to iconic status.

The relationship between Logan & Kurt is classic as handled by Claremont, and I look forward to all the possibilities this title holds under his written verb.

Too many negative minded blokes on the internet to argue overly long with all of them. We disagree here, and I said what I wanted to say about it.

Moving on.

Posted by danhimself

@danhimself said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@danhimself said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@danhimself said:

I really don't understand why anyone is excited about a Claremont book....does no one remember X-men Forever, All-New Exiles, and Xtreme X-men?

Because he put the X-Men on the map.

Does no one remember 100's of issues of classic goodness?

Every writer's had bad bouts and failed attempts. Near the end of his career, when he tried to come back after writing novels, his writing got stale and tired, too word intensive (even for him), so he stepped back again.

I think he's worth giving the benefit of the doubt to once more despite. Especially when it centers around Kurt and Logan ... two characters Claremont breathed more depth into than any other who's come since (Claremont / Miller mini still personifies the core of what Wolverine is to this day).

he ruined Exiles to the point of cancellation and not even a relaunch and a new writer could get people back on board....his X-men run may be a classic but everything since then has been garbage

Exiles was heading toward cancellation before Claremont even touched it. What he has or has not accomplished according to your perspective doesn't make it so.

He's not your cup of tea. Fine. But your blanket comments are highly misleading. They're your opinion. Not universal "truth".

what has he written since his X-men run that's been good?

I'm not taking the bait. You and I will clearly disagree on this last point.

In any case, what I like here is the potential to reinvigorate what he DID do that was GREAT. He put Wolverine, a relative unknown and B-class character on the map. He instilled the feeling of "family" and depth into the X-Men that propelled them to iconic status.

The relationship between Logan & Kurt is classic as handled by Claremont, and I look forward to all the possibilities this title holds under his written verb.

Too many negative minded blokes on the internet to argue overly long with all of them. We disagree here, and I said what I wanted to say about it.

Moving on.

I'm not being negative minded and I'm not trying to bait you....I'm being a realist....he's written 2 fantastic books but after that it went to crap...his writing hasn't changed with the times at all....back in the 80's and 90's that bloated dialogue was fine for the 80's and 90's because it was the norm but he still writes like that and he force feeds his creations into books...look at Exiles he replaced every character on the book for his creations and it ended up getting cancelled and no it wasn't bad off before he started writing it...it's sales were solid before he got a hold of it....again just being a realist here...if you write two good books then everything you write after that is cancelled then there's a pattern to be seen

Posted by Mrfuzzynutz

Aww for the love of a.....Wolverine?! way to pour cold water on my enthusiasm Marvel. *sigh* But Kurt , and Nauck are enough to get me in the door and try this out

Edited by Super_SoldierXII

@danhimself said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@danhimself said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@danhimself said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@danhimself said:

I really don't understand why anyone is excited about a Claremont book....does no one remember X-men Forever, All-New Exiles, and Xtreme X-men?

Because he put the X-Men on the map.

Does no one remember 100's of issues of classic goodness?

Every writer's had bad bouts and failed attempts. Near the end of his career, when he tried to come back after writing novels, his writing got stale and tired, too word intensive (even for him), so he stepped back again.

I think he's worth giving the benefit of the doubt to once more despite. Especially when it centers around Kurt and Logan ... two characters Claremont breathed more depth into than any other who's come since (Claremont / Miller mini still personifies the core of what Wolverine is to this day).

he ruined Exiles to the point of cancellation and not even a relaunch and a new writer could get people back on board....his X-men run may be a classic but everything since then has been garbage

Exiles was heading toward cancellation before Claremont even touched it. What he has or has not accomplished according to your perspective doesn't make it so.

He's not your cup of tea. Fine. But your blanket comments are highly misleading. They're your opinion. Not universal "truth".

what has he written since his X-men run that's been good?

I'm not taking the bait. You and I will clearly disagree on this last point.

In any case, what I like here is the potential to reinvigorate what he DID do that was GREAT. He put Wolverine, a relative unknown and B-class character on the map. He instilled the feeling of "family" and depth into the X-Men that propelled them to iconic status.

The relationship between Logan & Kurt is classic as handled by Claremont, and I look forward to all the possibilities this title holds under his written verb.

Too many negative minded blokes on the internet to argue overly long with all of them. We disagree here, and I said what I wanted to say about it.

Moving on.

I'm not being negative minded and I'm not trying to bait you....I'm being a realist....he's written 2 fantastic books but after that it went to crap...his writing hasn't changed with the times at all....back in the 80's and 90's that bloated dialogue was fine for the 80's and 90's because it was the norm but he still writes like that and he force feeds his creations into books...look at Exiles he replaced every character on the book for his creations and it ended up getting cancelled and no it wasn't bad off before he started writing it...it's sales were solid before he got a hold of it....again just being a realist here...if you write two good books then everything you write after that is cancelled then there's a pattern to be seen

No. Exiles was cancelled at issue #100 before Claremont had barely even touched it (started at issue #90 I believe). And Claremont coming on board with New Exiles was an attempt to reinvigorate new interest - interest that had been waning quite nicely without his aid.

It's numbers were not all that "solid". If it were selling well, Marvel would not have unshackled it as they did. That's why it became essentially a new book with new characters tendered to Claremont to reboot interest. In this, yeah, he failed. But he's not the cause of it's demise which was a foregone conclusion.

And you're a realist right? Oversimplifying and making blanket comments like that is not being realistic. It's being simplistic. He didn't just write "two good books" there guy. He had many successful spin offs like Excalibur, New Mutants and Wolverine for starters. He was behind the MOST memorable story arcs like The Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, Mutant Massacre, X-Tinction Agenda and Fall of the Mutants ... co creator of Sabretooth, Gambit, Mr Sinister ... and his "bloated dialogue" is missed by many. Maybe you like breezing through your 4$ book in under five minutes. Most of Claremont's "bloated" dialogue resulted in three dimensional characters like Kitty Pride who have since all but lost the depth they once possessed under his pen.

I'm not buying it bud. Like I said, you and I clearly disagree. I think you're very narrow minded and yes, all too negative, in your take herein.

Posted by danhimself

@danhimself said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@danhimself said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@danhimself said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@danhimself said:

I really don't understand why anyone is excited about a Claremont book....does no one remember X-men Forever, All-New Exiles, and Xtreme X-men?

Because he put the X-Men on the map.

Does no one remember 100's of issues of classic goodness?

Every writer's had bad bouts and failed attempts. Near the end of his career, when he tried to come back after writing novels, his writing got stale and tired, too word intensive (even for him), so he stepped back again.

I think he's worth giving the benefit of the doubt to once more despite. Especially when it centers around Kurt and Logan ... two characters Claremont breathed more depth into than any other who's come since (Claremont / Miller mini still personifies the core of what Wolverine is to this day).

he ruined Exiles to the point of cancellation and not even a relaunch and a new writer could get people back on board....his X-men run may be a classic but everything since then has been garbage

Exiles was heading toward cancellation before Claremont even touched it. What he has or has not accomplished according to your perspective doesn't make it so.

He's not your cup of tea. Fine. But your blanket comments are highly misleading. They're your opinion. Not universal "truth".

what has he written since his X-men run that's been good?

I'm not taking the bait. You and I will clearly disagree on this last point.

In any case, what I like here is the potential to reinvigorate what he DID do that was GREAT. He put Wolverine, a relative unknown and B-class character on the map. He instilled the feeling of "family" and depth into the X-Men that propelled them to iconic status.

The relationship between Logan & Kurt is classic as handled by Claremont, and I look forward to all the possibilities this title holds under his written verb.

Too many negative minded blokes on the internet to argue overly long with all of them. We disagree here, and I said what I wanted to say about it.

Moving on.

I'm not being negative minded and I'm not trying to bait you....I'm being a realist....he's written 2 fantastic books but after that it went to crap...his writing hasn't changed with the times at all....back in the 80's and 90's that bloated dialogue was fine for the 80's and 90's because it was the norm but he still writes like that and he force feeds his creations into books...look at Exiles he replaced every character on the book for his creations and it ended up getting cancelled and no it wasn't bad off before he started writing it...it's sales were solid before he got a hold of it....again just being a realist here...if you write two good books then everything you write after that is cancelled then there's a pattern to be seen

No. Exiles was cancelled at issue #100 before Claremont had barely even touched it (started at issue #90 I believe). And Claremont coming on board with New Exiles was an attempt to reinvigorate new interest - interest that had been waning quite nicely without his aid.

It's numbers were not all that "solid". If it were selling well, Marvel would not have unshackled it as they did. That's why it became essentially a new book with new characters tendered to Claremont to reboot interest. In this, yeah, he failed. But he's not the cause of it's demise which was a foregone conclusion.

And you're a realist right? Oversimplifying and making blanket comments like that is not being realistic. It's being simplistic. He didn't just write "two good books" there guy. He had many successful spin offs like Excalibur, New Mutants and Wolverine for starters. He was behind the MOST memorable story arcs like The Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, Mutant Massacre, X-Tinction Agenda and Fall of the Mutants ... co creator of Sabretooth, Gambit, Mr Sinister ... and his "bloated dialogue" is missed by many. Maybe you like breezing through your 4$ book in under five minutes. Most of Claremont's "bloated" dialogue resulted in three dimensional characters like Kitty Pride who have since all but lost the depth they once possessed under his pen.

I'm not buying it bud. Like I said, you and I clearly disagree. I think you're very narrow minded and yes, all too negative, in your take herein.

and yet you're the one resorting to insults....I was having a conversation...that's it...I wasn't getting mad and I never tried to insult you...so yeah we are done...I'm sorry that my opinion is different than yours

  • 85 results
  • 1
  • 2