• 69 results
force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By force_echo

So I read an article recently where it displays some rather alarming (to me) statistics about the amount of times people finish games. In fact, even the most storydriven games out there are not even finished HALF of the time, most of the time, the rate is around 1/3. That just blew my mind. I've finished maybe 95% of the games I've played. In fact, the only ones I remember NOT finishing were Borderlands 2 (far too boring for me) and NFS: Most Wanted on the OG Xbox (got stuck on Number 2 on the Blacklist).

EDIT: This article says NINETY PERCENT of people did not finish Red Dead Redemption, and that was one of the best games that entire year! In fact, most people will rather watch SOMEONE ELSE play the game on Youtube! What?!

Anyway, what do you guys think? You guys think it's a waste of resources? Do you finish games?

zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By zaied

The only time I didn't make it a thing to beat games was back in the PS1/PS2 days when I was younger and didn't really care about progressing through stories as much.

Nowadays, every game I buy I make sure I at least beat once. The exception being GTA IV which I got at release and still haven't beaten yet (mainly because the story was dull and I have to get a new disc).

Red Dead was a huge chore for me. The closing acts were really good but everything leading up to it was garbage. Good game overall, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am guilty of this. When I was younger as the user above me said, I didn't really care. If the game was really hard, boring or uninteresting, I'd stop playing and forget about it. I'd say I didn't pass more than half my PS1 and PS2 games. Yes shameful.

Now that I'm older this doesn't really happen. I'd say I've passed about 75% of all my 360 games. The ones I didn't were because I got bored, uninterested or never got around to it. For example, I never passed Skyrim but it was a great game. I also never passed Dishonored because I got the Mass Effect Trilogy about half way through.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Of course, I -always- finish a game I have started. So many games turn around at the mid point it's not fair to judge otherwise, and once I get invested in a story whether it's good or not I need to see the conclusion.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I've finished every game I bought recenly except for Watch_Dogs. Can't get into it that much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand how people can just not finish games. Unless the game is bad or doesn't interest you I don't get how people routinely don't finish any games.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually, no I don't finish them.

wimble23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I very rarely finish any games. It has gotten to the point that when I do finish one I am very surprised. Red Dead is one of the ones I have finished though.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae said:

Of course, I -always- finish a game I have started. So many games turn around at the mid point it's not fair to judge otherwise, and once I get invested in a story whether it's good or not I need to see the conclusion.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Usually, but not over the past couple of years. The last game I played was Grand Theft Auto V, when it first came out. I got pretty far into it and just stopped, for no reason at all.

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

colliderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to finish most of them but thanks to Steam Sales I have a huge game backlog and some of them I didn't even bothered with downloading but out of that I usually finish them

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@force_echo: I own a lot of games on steam.. I always thought it'd take too much time to finish all of them lol

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends. A lot of super long jrpgs I find myself not finishing because I don't have the time for it. Similar games with a bunch to do I have complete 100%. Oblivion I did every single sidequest, had every single weapon/armor, and completed the main story and dlc as well as maxed out my character a ridiculous amount.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I still haven't finished Metal Gear Rising (but that's mainly because I'm not good enough to beat it on the difficulty setting I picked).

wimble23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always get sidetracked by new games that come out. Also a tactic of mine is that if I get stuck I would take a break and play a different game but as my game catalog climbs it takes longer and longer to get back to a game I was stuck on.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Black_Arrow

I am guilty I only completed 100%, 75% of my games. For the other part I just completed the main storyline.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Twentyfive

At the final boss in Grandia. Can't beat it because it comes immediately after another boss fight, and I probably don't have enough supplies to last until I kill it. So I just googled the ending. I beat the game. I'm not going to spend hours grinding so I can beat it. I know the patterns and all that crud. I beat the game.

I'm playing Etrian Odyssey 4. At the Heavenbringer (best name ever!!!!). Same situation, but I am willing to do the grinding.

I just this morning got one of the four endings of Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom. Alright game. Pales in comparison to the other 3 games in the original Phantasy Star series. Might not get the other 3 endings.

Man, imagine if that game came out for the PS2...

No Caption Provided

The one game I absolutely one hundred and seventeen percent beat is Spyro: Year of the Dragon.And I maintain my opinion that it is one of the best games ever made.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I beat the games I buy

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to, not any more. I always download old games from the Xbox market thinking it'll be great and it ends up.. boring. I don't even get to the halfway mark.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae: Lol yeah I never even picked a side in the main story line. I did a lot of quests from the major cities and got to 30 something hours. Maybe I should go back and just beat the main quest.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silkyballfro94: It really wouldn't take long. But you are not really missing out on much either. Skyrim is really about the sidequests.

Oh so you were refering to the Stormcloaks vs Imperials part? I guess there's technically 2 main story lines, that one and the Alduin one, both are really short though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae: Yeah I was referring to the Stormcloaks and Imperials quest. I had forgotten about the dragon one. Might give it a try one of these days.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@xwraith: Then switch it! The game is only about 4 hours long.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpion2501: Same. Even when I was playing it, it was in short bursts. It's just...absolutely nothing to write home about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: I mean to start it over on a lower level, but I keep forgetting to get around to it.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup. Back when I was young I finished all my Gameboy, PS1 and PS2 games. But, I don't have time for that anymore.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@xwraith: Then switch it! The game is only about 4 hours long.

Is it really worth it? Been considering if I should throw away cash I don't really have for a 4 hour game.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae: Absolutely. It's the best character action game yet (well...next to Bayonetta). It also doesn't feel like 4 hours. The action is so fast-paced that my adrenaline was always pumping, and it slowed down my perception of time a bit. Felt a lot longer. Plus, your upgrades and everything carry over when you start a new game, so there is plenty of replayability value. The game should be pretty cheap now too.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: OK, I'll do it as soon as I have everything else out of the way.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I finish them all. I'm kind of OCD when it comes to video games. I cant believe that many people didn't finish RDR though, even if you aren't good enough to beat it I suppose you could use cheats and make yourself invincible so you can at least finish the story. That game was beautiful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@scorpion2501: Same. Even when I was playing it, it was in short bursts. It's just...absolutely nothing to write home about.

Very true. Gameplay is repetive and boring. Story isn't engaging. Most characters are very plain.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scorpion2501: Well, I do think the gameplay is fun at least. Repetitive after a while sure, but overall fun. But yes, there is barely a plot and Aiden is more bland than cardboard. Not much about it that makes you want to come back and spend your time with the game.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36 JediXMan  Moderator

Depends on the game. I don't usually play the story mode of certain games; Battlefield, for example, I finished it months after getting the game, because I mostly only cared about the multiplayer. Same for fighting games, racing games, etc.

Obviously, I finish story-driven games, like Mass Effect and KOTOR. Haven't finished Skyrim's main quest, though.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JediXMan  Moderator

Oh, and I haven't finished Telltale's TWD due to frustration with save data corruption -_-

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can understand some games which aren't really meant to have a story, like most racing games, or others you only play for MP. I was very surprised to find games like Mass Effect and RDR up there though. I mean, why buy a game if you're not going to finish it?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive never had a game that I couldn't finish if I keep it.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

Less often then I will admit to.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JediXMan  Moderator

I can understand some games which aren't really meant to have a story, like most racing games, or others you only play for MP. I was very surprised to find games like Mass Effect and RDR up there though. I mean, why buy a game if you're not going to finish it?

I can actually understand not finishing games like RDR and GTA. I didn't finish Skyrim for the same reason: you get caught up exploring and doing side quests. In AC IV: Black Flag, the story was the least interesting part for me. I had more fun with the assassin contracts.

ME, too, involves a fair bit of exploration on the "unexplored" worlds.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

That depends really, if you mean by doing 100% then I rarely do this. For me, its satisfying enough completing the storyline, but there are plenty of games I played that were so bad, that I didn't bother finishing that. I have no shame about it tho, if a game failed to grasp your interest early in the game you are well within your rights to not play with it anymore.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@force_echo: Yes I do. 90% of what games I buy I finish. Especially if its a story driven game but there are some games of course that I also don't finish but generally If its my purchase then I normally finish it.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yes, waste of money not to

wimble23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny this post made me go back to play games I hadn't finished. Put in Arkham City and I was only a half hour away from completing the story

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I've made a list on all games i haven't finished and vowed to never buy a new game until they are finished.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#49  Edited By wildvine

@ostyo:

Get back in your Pokeball

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points