Supergirl: Enter: Shahara-Zod

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop

RANKED 2nd BY VOTERS IN CHARACTER CREATION CONTEST #5!

DateDC Action!ViewRead the...
07/11/13Supergirl: Enter: Shahara-Zod(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
RatingRating explanation
TMild violence alluded to. Mild torture.
No Caption Provided

Wiping blood from her mouth, Supergirl scowled at her attacker and asked, “Lady, before I get up from here and knock you over the moon, do you want to explain that?”

The woman barely smirked. “You wear the crest of the House of El. Are you trying to draw the attention of an eradicator?”

“The Eradicator is gone,” Kara answered, “but how would you know about him at all?”

The woman was taken aback. “‘Him? ’It.” She raised an eyebrow. “You talk like there’s only one.”

“There was only one.” It was more hope than surety.

The woman leaned in, looking stern, small crow’s-feet betraying her age. “Don’t act naïve, girl. Are you trying to tell me you know so little about our history, that you don’t know the full extent of your own ancestor’s technology?”

‘Our…’?” Kara began, but the woman continued.

“Do you think only one of those devices could affect an entire planet? Of course there’s more than one. There were many – probably one for every one hundred thousand Kryptonians. Don’t bother with the math. It will make you cry.”

Supergirl searched her attacker’s face for some hint that she was lying. Her mind was like a supercomputer – she couldn’t help doing the math. If there was one eradicator for every hundred thousand Kryptonians, then that would mean… As Kara’s eyes went wide with horror, the woman’s flashed satisfaction. She smirked as she stood back up. Kara’s lip curled, and she lunged up and forward, only to fall again, everything in her wracked with pain.

No Caption Provided

“They call this ‘Kryptonite’ here, don’t they?” asked the woman, admiring the green, glowing rock she held in her hand. “Do you know why you’re vulnerable to this?” Kara picked herself up to her hands and knees, trembling. The woman looked at her and said, “Pay attention, girl. I asked you a question. Do you know why you’re vulnerable to this?” As she asked, she moved closer, and Kara writhed in pain.

Struggling to breathe, she managed, “B-be…cause…i-it’s…p-part…of…Kryp…ton.” Rapid, painful breaths followed every syllable.

‘Because it’s part of Krypton.’ So the planet of your birth, that sustained you until its early demise, now threatens to kill you, just because you get near a piece of it? Does that make sense to you, dear?” Even pained, the perplexity showed on Supergirl’s face. The woman crouched back down next to her, on one knee. “I don’t want to kill you with this. Can we talk civilly without it?”

Her eyes spoke death, but Kara managed a quick nod of assent. The woman held the fragment a little closer to Supergirl’s face, causing her body to spasm violently. “The pain you are feeling now is not because of this rock. It is the fault of the eradicators.” With that, the Kryptonite leapt from the woman’s hand and disappeared. Kara looked up questioningly. “I keep it in a subspace pocket,” said the woman. “It’s a pretty reminder of home.”

She stood up and offered her hand. Kara ignored it, shakily regaining her feet on her own. She straightened, then immediately doubled over to throw up.

The woman continued, “To preserve the ‘purity’ of our race, Kem-L had the eradicators change everyone on the planet on a genetic level. This bound them to Krypton, so if they left, they would die, rather than bringing back ‘contaminating influences’ from other worlds and races. By the time Krypton felt this, it was too late, and all she could do was affect a slight change…”

Supergirl, still bent over, palms on her knees, held up a hand to stop the woman. She took a few deep breaths, regaining herself, and asked, “Krypton changed things?”

No Caption Provided

The woman answered, “Krypton was a living thing. She did what she could to save her inhabitants, reversing the polarity of the eradicator technovirus, making it so Kryptonians wouldn’t die if they left the planet, but only if they returned. So the closer you get to a piece of her, the more intense the pain, up to and including death. The strain of keeping it that way is what led to her demise.”

Supergirl still seemed dubious. “Krypton. Was alive.”

No Caption Provided

The older woman spoke with the patience a grandparent has for a child. “Oh, yes, dear. She had a heart and a spirit, and there was only one other like her in the entire universe. And when she died, he tracked her spirit’s progress until it settled at the center of the universe. Then he joined with her the only way he could, until he himself was gone.”

Supergirl didn’t react, except to say, “Uhh-huh,” then followed with, “So, if you’re Kryptonian, and the eradicators changed everyone on the planet, how come the Kryptonite didn’t hurt you?”

“Because I wasn’t on the planet, dear. I was in the Phantom Zone.”

Why?

“Because when the Science Council took over the planetary government, the Celestial Council was very quickly tried and convicted of ‘crimes against science.’ My own son carried out the sentence.”

“Your son? That’s not possible! It was…” Kara doubled over again as the Kryptonite reappeared in the woman’s hand.

The woman seethed, “Do not say his name to me.”

“Why are you doing this?” Kara asked, weakly.

No Caption Provided

Revenge!” she shouted. “The Science Council dared to judge us! They imprisoned me! Shahara-Zod! The Storybearer! I kept the oral history and knowledge of Krypton alive! They decided they didn’t need me? They used my stories as the basis for Brainiac’s database!”

She cupped Kara’s chin in her hand. “I will teach my son the error of turning against me. I will destroy that mechanical mockery called Brainiac. And I thought it proper that the descendents of Kem-L, who designed the eradicators that brought about the destruction of Krypton, should learn what it is to deal with them firsthand.”

Kara responded lethargically, “What do you mean?”

A wild look flashed across the woman’s face, and she answered, “I mean I lured them to follow me, in order to bring them to you.”

What? How many?” Supergirl asked as anxiously as her weakened state would allow.

No Caption Provided

The woman smiled cruelly. “Why, all of them, dear.” The shock on Kara’s face was palpable, but the woman cooed, “Oh, don’t worry yourself, dear. I intend to bring you help.” The fear didn’t leave Kara’s face. “I’m going to free our fellow Kryptonians from that infernal Phantom Zone.” She picked up the Kryptonite from beside her, adding, “Some of them won’t be vulnerable to this, which should help. Don’t you think?” She then rocketed away at super speed, leaving Supergirl to recover.

Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: CCC #5.

Story, original characters and content are owned by Chris Bishop. Copyright Chris Bishop 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
OC Names:
Characters:Groups:
  • Shahara-Zod
  • Celestial Council, The
Comic Characters used in this fic:
Picture Credits:
Picture

Credit: All pictures were found in the CV wiki, and are property of DC Comics.
CCC #5 comments for Supergirl: Enter: Shahara-Zod:
Worth the wait man, it was really interesting.Pyrogram

“Pay attention, girl. I asked you a question. Do you know why you’re vulnerable to this?” As she asked, she moved closer, and Kara writhed in pain.

I love when villains give heroes lessons! My only thing is I don't like the name Shahara-Zod, but I get the Arabian Nights ref though

batkevin74
My vote goes to cbishop for the dialogue and expansion of DCU.The_Dreadnought
I go with cbishopRazzaTazz

[Voting for] Shahara-Zod by cbishop

turoksonofstone
.Fic-O-Pedia: cbishop. (My library of fics)Fic #010

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By AweSam

Great job. Really interesting concept. The dialogue kind of dragged on a bit though. By that, I mean it was the entire thing. Krypton being a sentient planet like Mogo was a cool idea.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: Yeah, the CCC is hard sometimes, when it comes to the word limit. I had a lot of info I wanted to get into this scene, and it turned it into a talking heads type of thing. As part of a larger story, I think it would be okay.

There are a few things about Superman's origin and vulnerabilities that I think could stand some modern tweaking. This scene was completely geared towards doing that. Krypton being like Mogo was one of the main things I wanted to get out there. I couldn't get it all in there, due to the word limit, but I was happy with the end result.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@cbishop: Well, you should save some details for late on, but it's alright. If you write more, I'll definitely check it out.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: Thanks, I appreciate it. Because this was originally an entry for the Character Creation Contest, there was no "later on" being contemplated at the time. So I just grabbed it and jam packed it with as much stuff as I could get in that one scene. I may pick this one up again later.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@cbishop: You should start an ongoing series. Maybe not with this but anything you feel like writing. Oneshots are nice but they sometimes feel like they leave things unfinished, a full arc would be better because it helps you expand upon your ideas.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: This is just me getting my feet wet. I turned my contest entries into blogs, and I've been using these blogs to figure out how I want to set up future fan-fic material. These are only one-shots, because they were only intended to be contest entries. I'll get some more stuff out eventually. Thanks for the encouragement.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#8 wildvine  Moderator

@cbishop

This was a really solid story. Sorry I didn't read it before. It that really why kryptonite weakens kryptonians?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: No, I made it up. The sarcastic question S'-Zod asks Supergirl about Krypton keeping her alive, but then trying to kill her, is the problem that I've always had with kryptonite. Since Supes' other vulnerability is magic, I thought, "Why not make the kryptonite vulnerability mystical as well?"

This let me address something else too. DC was facing the possibility of losing the meat of the Krypton lore, if they lost the infamous lawsuit, so I was looking at a way to overhaul Supes' origin. Tweaking that little bit about Krypton shifts it from being just science, to also being mystical in nature. Saying Krypton was alive lets me give a sort of connection to the Green Lantern mythos too...

...what do you mean you didn't read it before? lol ;P

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#10 wildvine  Moderator

@cbishop said:

@wildvine: No, I made it up. The sarcastic question S'-Zod asks Supergirl about Krypton keeping her alive, but then trying to kill her, is the problem that I've always had with kryptonite. Since Supes' other vulnerability is magic, I thought, "Why not make the kryptonite vulnerability mystical as well?"

This let me address something else too. DC was facing the possibility of losing the meat of the Krypton lore, if they lost the infamous lawsuit, so I was looking at a way to overhaul Supes' origin. Tweaking that little bit about Krypton shifts it from being just science, to also being mystical in nature. Saying Krypton was alive lets me give a sort of connection to the Green Lantern mythos too...

...what do you mean you didn't read it before? lol ;P

Well, it was pure genius sir.

I mean, I didn't read this before. Wasn't this a contest entry?

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine said:

Well, it was pure genius sir.

Why, thank you, ma'am. I liked it. I want to come back to this one eventually.

@wildvine said:

I mean, I didn't read this before. Wasn't this a contest entry?

Well, okay then. ;) Yeah, it was a contest entry. It didn't have the pictures before though. I tried to add pics to make it a little more interesting.