aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By aquaman01

@jashro44 said:

@dragonswordz: Can you explain why this thread fails?

lol I am erasing my comments. I really want to see some awesome Obsidian feats.

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

obsidian ftw

Avatar image for homicidalmaniac
homicidalmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

mmmmmmmmmmmm

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jashro44
Avatar image for homicidalmaniac
homicidalmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@jashro44: What I seen of Obsidian,he's a planetary threat,create a army of shadows,Jay Garrick can't escape Obsidian,and few others.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@homicidalmaniac: Yea thats what I have seen from him too. Admittedly I am not an expert but figured I would create this thread to try something different and learn more about him. He seems to be really powerful.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jashro44

Almost forgot @heraldofganthet You know some obscure DC characters, so you might know about Obsidan?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont know enough about Obsidian to say for sure, but I think if he's not holding back it'll be a big problem for the Surfer.

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I must have read the wrong comics. I thought Obsidian was powerful but not planetary level. I would like to see images, I am now very interested.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

SS has cosmic light, which is a weakness of Obie.

That said, this battle is in space, which is infinite blackness.

I'll take Todd.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@jashro44: First, congrats for doing a thread where people is actually questioning themselves on which character wins against Surfer, usually its pretty hard to come up with a decent battle with him, whether he stomps or gets stomped.

Second, the image you used of Surfer is awesome, is it a cover or something?

I'll stick around, im quite interested in this Obsidian in particular.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This could be an interesting battle actually. While Obsidian was originally portrayed as having a weakness to light as his powers developed that was certainly no longer portrayed (in fact many light based characters had no affect on him later on in his portrayal)

SS has cosmic awareness vs Todd's ability to see into the soul of anyone and know their deepest darkest

SS has high powered TP vs Todd's ability to possess the soul of anyone (he has when turned evil actually possessed several of the JSA at once, IIRC that is an issue SS had with Mephisto wasn't it)

SS and Todd are both pretty much indestructible ( Todd couldn't even kill himself when he wanted too and had tried hundreds of times and ways - the only way he has been BFR'd is using a magic that contained his darkness)

The battlefield also makes it interesting as in the void of space Obsidian can literally be everywhere at once.

No Caption Provided

There was a better example a few issues later in JLA where he folded the void of space around an alien fleet but I can't for the life of me find that issue.

To be honest I'm not sure who would win. I'm going to say Surfer takes it in a close one, but I'm not sure how he takes Todd down. He does however have the greater variety of power that should make the differnece

ghostrider2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silver Surfer beats him.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ComicStooge

This could be an interesting battle actually. While Obsidian was originally portrayed as having a weakness to light as his powers developed that was certainly no longer portrayed (in fact many light based characters had no affect on him later on in his portrayal)

SS has cosmic awareness vs Todd's ability to see into the soul of anyone and know their deepest darkest

SS has high powered TP vs Todd's ability to possess the soul of anyone (he has when turned evil actually possessed several of the JSA at once, IIRC that is an issue SS had with Mephisto wasn't it)

SS and Todd are both pretty much indestructible ( Todd couldn't even kill himself when he wanted too and had tried hundreds of times and ways - the only way he has been BFR'd is using a magic that contained his darkness)

The battlefield also makes it interesting as in the void of space Obsidian can literally be everywhere at once.

No Caption Provided

There was a better example a few issues later in JLA where he folded the void of space around an alien fleet but I can't for the life of me find that issue.

To be honest I'm not sure who would win. I'm going to say Surfer takes it in a close one, but I'm not sure how he takes Todd down. He does however have the greater variety of power that should make the differnece

My train of thinking was that while Silver Surfer can hold Obie off with his light producing cosmic power, he has no real way of really putting Obie down.

Another aspect of the fight I think is interesting is that Surfer's durability only extends to his skin, as far as I'm aware. Todd can jump inside his body and effect him that way:

No Caption Provided

chiq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does one k.o. or kill Obsidian?

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By comic_book_fan

i don't know anything bout obsidian but i would assume he would have his hands full with surfer there not many non sky fathers that wouldn't.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chiq:

Kill?? one doesn't. He was suicidal himself when the ability to see the deepest darkest depravities in everyone around him became too much and couldn't succeed in killing himself no matter how hard he tried.

KO is also pretty damn hard. In the last run of Justice Society they made him pretty much the team security officer who kept the base protected. This may have been done because in the previous run they turned him evil a few times and lack of team trust and all, but really it was because he was too damn powerful to have actively go on a mission. During that last run when he sensed an attack on the team from a spiritual source he used his shadow power to put up a shield around the the JSA HQ. That shield was so strong that none of the JSAers themselves could breach it not Alan Scot and those inside or Stargirl, damage and those outside.

Let's also remember this is a character who when he was turned evil ( because he sees the evil/darkness in everyone and even though he's worked with almost every hero on the globe has NEVER met someone without a darkness to see it wasn't hard for another evil character with a similar power to convince him that there is no good) he soloed the JSA for a while. It took his father Alan Scot to pull out ALL the stops to make him relent.

We're talking about a guy who on their own can take on (and has) the combined power of Alan Scot, Jay Garrick, Powergirl, Starman, Star spangled kid (Courtney- pre stargirl) (these last two let's not forget wield COSMIC power), Hourman 1 Million, Dr Fate and a few more. Alan, Fate and Hourman 1 Million could all give Surfer a good fight solo.

He can also make everyone see that same darkness in themselves. For most it is torture even if they actually like their evil nature. Norrin doesn't exactly like what he did as Galactus' herald so there is quite a bit of guilt to use their. Added to which he can turn anyone's shadow against themselves ( and they usually fight with the same physical abilities as the being who casts them), and can be in any darkness or create hundreds of himself in the darkness or alter his size or shape, fold the void of space around him etc.

@comicstooge said:

My train of thinking was that while Silver Surfer can hold Obie off with his light producing cosmic power, he has no real way of really putting Obie down.

I don't get where you get the idea that light is going to hold Todd off.

No Caption Provided

There are other examples of the same. His being weak to light is something that hasn't been shown since VERY early in his publication.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By laflux
Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i see obsidian as a threat because of his possession abilities. SS can BFR him if need be because he will understand how Obsidian works pretty quickly. SS wins but he has to be creative. Obsidian can too but he has less options

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wyldsong

@comicstooge: I would have to find the scan, but on the front of Obsidian going in his body and harming Surfer, Surfer has willingly turned into kind of an atomized state in the past, and has done that phasing thing. Not really sure that ability would be of much use to Obsidian in this fight.

As for the rest, from what little I know of Obsidian (I did a little research on him from another thread) I agree with @beatboks1 for the most part. Surfer might take it after a close fight.

Avatar image for mrachakravartin
MRAChakravartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silver is the man!! He takes this with much difficult.

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surfur sends Obie crying

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get where you get the idea that light is going to hold Todd off.

There are other examples of the same. His being weak to light is something that hasn't been shown since VERY early in his publication.

Stargirl used her light to get rid of Todd's shadow possession. I assumed that was a weakness of him:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Experio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Silver Surfer in a hard battle

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ComicStooge

Surfur sends Obie crying

Just like how Wally West "cleans Todd's homo clock"? ;)

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NighThunder
ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NighThunder
beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nighthunder: speed steal is absolutely useless against Todd. Why would someone who can be "anywhere there is darkness" even need speed? In JLA when Deadshot was a threat and he sensed one of his team mates was in danger he was in five different parts of the city at the same time protecting them. He literally doesn't have to move to be all over Flash which is how he beat Jay Garrick in the scans I had above ( the only speedster besides Wally who can speed steal BTW)

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By NighThunder

@beatboks1: B.F.R. anyway, we're taling about surfur who would just blow the planet if obie became poblematic

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nighthunder:

1. What exactly does "blowing the planet" do to a character who is abstract in nature?? Obie is comprised of "void"

2. How does one successfully BFR a being who can

a) dimensionally travel through the shadow realm

b) can be everywhere there is shadow and can and has been in many dozens of places at once

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NighThunder

@beatboks1:

1. Forget the blowing the planet thing

2. Since...we're in space, theirs technically no " shadow" depending where in space..........

oh and how about we just do a caV? obie vs surfur, i debate for surfur, you for obie? i always heard that your one of the premier debaters on CV, i sorta wanna see first hand if you live up to the hype.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HeraldofGanthet

@jashro44:

Wazzup, J?! Hope you're doing well! As far as Obsidian is concerned, he would make life hell for the Surfer. Norrin's biggest strength's are his overt energy projection as well as his matter manipulation powers. Very powerful guy. But as @beatboks1 said, when Obsidian was wrestling with suicidal thoughts/impulses, he was having one hell of a time even trying to harm himself, let alone kill himself. Alan Scott (daddy dearest) had to tap into the full power of the Starheart, an extraordinarily powerful Artifact created by the Guardians of the Universe themselves to do any lasting damage to him.

Obsidian for the win, or stalemate IMO.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nighthunder: shadow was the wrong choice of word on my part. Should have said darkness ( and there is a lot of that in space)

as I already said in an issue o JLA Obie when he sensed a threat to the team ( a cloaked fleet) just suddenly became the void of space around it folded the fleet up in himself and made it go away.

Not sure why you'd want a cav on a battle I already said the character you want to play wins but what the heck. There are ways Todd can win they just aren't as many

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ComicStooge

@nighthunder: shadow was the wrong choice of word on my part. Should have said darkness ( and there is a lot of that in space)

as I already said in an issue o JLA Obie when he sensed a threat to the team ( a cloaked fleet) just suddenly became the void of space around it folded the fleet up in himself and made it go away.

Not sure why you'd want a cav on a battle I already said the character you want to play wins but what the heck. There are ways Todd can win they just aren't as many

In all fairness, there aren't too many shows for SS to win either.

It seems like a stalemate.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By willpayton

I'm going with an Obsidian win after a long fight. I'm just not sure how SS can put him down. Alan Scott was able to blast the heck out of him, but that was the magical power of the Starheart at work... not cosmic energy like Surfers'.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not sure how Surfer Wins . Let me see how this turns out

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From my debate with CitizenBane about 7 months ago, I learned from him just how powerful Obisiden was. He's too powerful for even the Silver Surfer. What exactly is Surfer going to do to a living shadow, not to mention one who's in space where he can bend the darkness to his will? Surfer has 2 options. One is transmution which I believe will probably not stop Obisiden. The other is the sun. That should be plenty enough light to stop him. If Surfer can drain a star or get him near it he should take him. But one on one he shouldn't be able too win. Just as BeatBoks1 said, Obisden has fought group of heroes who match or exceed Surfer himself In power, and verstality. ( Alan Scott, Hour Man, Doctor Fate ). I remember a scan of Obisiden spanning the whole entire planet in darkness so imagine what he could do in space.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember a scan of Obisiden spanning the whole entire planet in darkness so imagine what he could do in space.

That's one of the scans I just posted a few posts above.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: Oh, I actually didn't really read through the thread as the outcome was rather obvious to me.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: Oh, I actually didn't really read through the thread as the outcome was rather obvious to me.

Yeah a lot of people here are unaware of just how powerful many of these JSA characters are. People like Alan Scott and Obsidian have it in them to solo teams like the JLA if they choose to.

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya gotta love how the opening comment about a failed thread straight after the OP has been deleted because this is actually very debatable.

Carter_esque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thundergodswrath said:

Yeah a lot of people here are unaware of just how powerful many of these JSA characters are. People like Alan Scott and Obsidian have it in them to solo teams like the JLA if they choose to.

Naw

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton said:

@thundergodswrath said:

Naw

You're doubting that Alan or Obsidian can solo the JLA?