• 61 results
Lucano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lucano

Hello everyone, I am new here, however I've been reading battle threads and well, lots of threads for quite some time now and I must say that the battle section of this forum is something I really love. Sometimes battles go just into the typical: Character 1 vs Character 2, who wins? But even in those, there's really nice responses from people who really knows the characters. Just like you, I love comics and I've read and own my share of them, so I wanted my first post ever here to be a battle thread.

However I don't want it to be just a VS thread but more like a general discussion (don't worry I'll get to the battle part and I'm sure you'll understand), also if I am not posting this on the proper section, I totally understand and agree to delete it if needed.

Ok, now to the actual battle:

There is a Chess Tournament held at, let's say Oa and heroes and villains from all over the Omniverse are summoned to participate, to find the best Chess strategist ever.

Rules: No powers (No mind control, mind reading, reality alteration/manipulation, etc, etc) the only power allowed is the intellect and tactical and strategic abilities, every participant knows how to play chess, no matter how alien, ancient, etc, etc.

Participants:

Batman

Professor Charles Xavier

John Constantine

Lucifer Morningstar

Thanos

Reed Richards

Tony Stark

Captain America

Lex Luthor

Darkseid

Galactus

V

Gambit

Tim Drake

Loki

Doctor Doom

Beast

Lelouch (Thanks to JediXMan)

Jack Sparrow (Thanks to lowlaville)

Mister Terriffic (Thanks to Dratini1331)

The Doctor (Thanks to Cjdavis103)

Andrew ''Ender'' Wiggin (Thanks to tparks)

And any other comic book character that you think he/she has a chance. I selected these characters because they all have shown incredible tactical and strategical skills, as well as well developed intellects.

Who wins? Why?

Now to the matches :D

Lelouch vs The Doctor - The Doctor

Lex Luthor vs Thanos - Lex Luthor

Batman vs Reed Richards - Batman

Galactus vs V -

Professor Charles Xavier vs John Constantine -

Lucifer Morninstar vs Andrew Wiggin - Lucifer Morningstar

Gambit vs Loki -

Doctor Doom vs Tony Stark -

Tim Drake vs Captain America -

Jack Sparrow vs Mister Terriffic -

Beast vs Darkseid -

Post your list of winners :)

HyperViper97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prep masters are gonna wreck here. Thanos, reed, tony, luthor and darkseid. If I had to bet, I'd bet on thanos

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would say Batman, Maybe Lex

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Lex.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Thanos.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6 JediXMan  Moderator

Why isn't Lelouch here?

Anyway, probably Lucifer.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 the_red_viper  Moderator

I have the strangest feeling that V is winning this.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shawnbaby

I've always loved the assumption that being Good with Prep = Good at Chess.

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lucy

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feats

Loading Video...
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_gaff_ said:

Feats

Loading Video...
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I can't speak to the Batman and Ra's scan...but the Xavier & Magneto and Lex Luthor examples are both "non-canon". The X-Men movies exist in their own continuity and, if I'm not mistaken, the Luthor scan is from Superman: Red Son.

Dratini1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, probably Batman, then lex or thanos. Only since Thanos likely has to learn the game first :P

But why is mister terrific not here?

alos:

I've always loved the assumption that being Good with Prep = Good at Chess.

This^ Chess is a game that requires years of study and actually knowing things about the game. It's about strategy and tactics, not necessarily scientific genius.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: It is. I read Red Son and I didn't see any thing to suggest Lex was smarter than the canon Lex (besides the fact he took out Superman with a sentence.) :P

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Lex, hands down. Or Reeds, pretty much smartest men I know. Or, Id call in Jack Sparrow lol

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Shawnbaby

Lex, hands down. Or Reeds, pretty much smartest men I know. Or, Id call in Jack Sparrow lol

Being Smart does not mean you are good at chess.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@lowlaville said:

Being Smart does not mean you are good at chess.

Im going to add to this that Tony beats Reed in chess. There's even an on-panel situation about this IIRC.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: Then, Jack Sparrow beaats everyone. Guys the tactically genius guy I know.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: Then, Jack Sparrow beaats everyone. Guys the tactically genius guy I know.

But does he know how to play Chess? That's the thing that matters.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: I havent seen him play chess on a board... I have seen him play with people though. xD

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Lucifer imo

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lowlaville: You know what determines if you are good at chess? Playing Chess. That's it. You can be the smartest, most tactical guy on the planet...but if you've never played chess before you're going to lose to the 9 year old who's grampa just taught him to play over the summer.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The horsey moves like THIS! *makes an L*

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: Well, thats the OP criterea, not mine.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shawnbaby

@lowlaville said:

@shawnbaby: Well, thats the OP criterea, not mine.

The OP's criteria is "to find the best Chess Strategist ever".

Ohgma_Infinium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lex has this

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: No. Read the paragraph above Who wins? and Why? That's the criterea for selection. It does not mention of an ability to play chess, in fact that ia not written anywhere on this thread as such.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lowlaville: Read the underlined bit.

@lucano said:

Hello everyone, I am new here, however I've been reading battle threads and well, lots of threads for quite some time now and I must say that the battle section of this forum is something I really love. Sometimes battles go just into the typical: Character 1 vs Character 2, who wins? But even in those, there's really nice responses from people who really knows the characters. Just like you, I love comics and I've read and own my share of them, so I wanted my first post ever here to be a battle thread.

However I don't want it to be just a VS thread but more like a general discussion (don't worry I'll get to the battle part and I'm sure you'll understand), also if I am not posting this on the proper section, I totally understand and agree to delete it if needed.

Ok, now to the actual battle:

There is a Chess Tournament held at, let's say Oa and heroes and villains from all over the Omniverse are summoned to participate, to find the best Chess strategist ever.

Rules: No powers (No mind control, mind reading, reality alteration/manipulation, etc, etc) the only power allowed is the intellect and tactical and strategic abilities.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: Irrelevent. It doesn't say this is IC, and he has clearly marked out the criterea for selection, which does not include knowing ho to play chess. And because this is not IC discussion, we can take applicable factors of a characters powers into account. Do note how OP has restrictrd every other power.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shawnbaby

@lowlaville said:

@shawnbaby: Irrelevent. It doesn't say this is IC, and he has clearly marked out the criterea for selection, which does not include knowing ho to play chess. And because this is not IC discussion, we can take applicable factors of a characters powers into account. Do note how OP has restrictrd every other power.

He clearly states "Chess Strategist"...how can a person be a Chess Strategist if they don't know how to play Chess? That's like being an Expert Chef despite never actually cooking anything.

Yes, he restricted other powers...because playing chess against someone that can read your mind isn't exactly fair.

And if you're using IC as a short form of "in Character" ..in the battle forums all characters are assumed to be In Character unless specifically stated otherwise.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: You don't get it. The nature of the battle is to choose a chess stratagist. If it was important the character IC knew how to play chess, the detail would have been mentioned. Its not. No reason to assume otherwise.

theDCkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I remember the Flash is really good at chess, I seem to recall him defeating Despero in a game.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedckid: Flash cheats at chess. He runs thousands of scenerios in less than a second, before making the move. lol

Lucano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I missed a few points, sorry about that, my bad. We should go under the assumption that every participant knows how play Chess and can apply their tactical and strategic abilities to it.

Cjdavis103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucano:

No Caption Provided

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Doctor!!!!

*leaves and slams door behind *

Lucano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ForeverEvil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superman and flash played chess in Injustice. Flash won of course since he can think of every outcome. Speed mind for the win. Except thats not canon and we cant use it..wah, wah.

Cjdavis103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucano:

*peaks back in*

thank you for fixing that

the doctor held his own against the hive mind of over 6 billion cyber men and tricked said hive mind to the point where it shut down all outer functions to focus on that borde and keep in mind this was only with half a brain which was also pit against him

Lucano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I had totally forgot about The Doc, the guy sure has the feats.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tparks

@lucano: Awesome first post, and welcome! Also, I'm not sure who would win, but I think Ender Wiggin would fit in nice in this. I haven't seen the movie yet, but from the books/comics I'd say he would probably win if he if he was in this chess tournament.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

@tparks said:

@lucano: Awesome first post, and welcome! Also, I'm not sure who would win, but I think Ender Wiggin would fit in nice in this. I haven't seen the movie yet, but from the books/comics I'd say he would probably win if he if he was in this chess tournament.

Yep, when talking strategists Ender is waaaay up there.

It's just I can't see V losing anything, ever. He's just not built for it. It's also very concievable that he knows how to play chess, he knows everything. Chemistry, gardening, fighting, playing the piano, dancing, acting, magic tricks,computer science, literature... everything.

I ficed the bugged response I made in the Hall of Fame BTW in case you didn't see.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: You don't get it. The nature of the battle is to choose a chess stratagist. If it was important the character IC knew how to play chess, the detail would have been mentioned. Its not. No reason to assume otherwise.

The detail is mentioned...it's mentioned when he says "Chess Strategist". You can very clearly see the word "Chess" right there.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

The Doctor wins via The Doctor factor.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only Lucifer, Constantine and The Doctor matter, everyone else is a nonfactor.

lowlaville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lowlaville said:

The detail is mentioned...it's mentioned when he says "Chess Strategist". You can very clearly see the word "Chess" right there.

Not detail, that is the classification for the battle. Look at the word just before that. lol To "find the best chess strategist" is important, not knowing how to play chess, as made clear by the classification of the entrants allowed to participate, and notably the criterea the OP employed when finding the default participants.

Seriously meaningless debate right here. xD Im stopping with this last one. Its getting a bit too hillarious to continue. I decided to overlook the measly point and made nothing of it when you first interrupted me, and even at the second post where you obstructed my judgement. But you clearly pushed it a bit too far when you did it the third time. Either you thought I didnt know what to say, or you thought a bit too high of yourself. Done anyway.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: I never read V for Vendetta, but from what I know of him and what you said it sounds like he is definitely a favorite if not the winner.

Cjdavis103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks:

really the doctor has been playing chess for 1000+ years and is a certifiable alien super genius V stands no chance against him

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby said:

@lowlaville said:

Not detail, that is the classification for the battle. Look at the word just before that. lol To "find the best chess strategist" is important, not knowing how to play chess, as made clear by the classification of the entrants allowed to participate, and notably the criterea the OP employed when finding the default participants.

Seriously meaningless debate right here. xD Im stopping with this last one. Its getting a bit too hillarious to continue. I decided to overlook the measly point and made nothing of it when you first interrupted me, and even at the second post where you obstructed my judgement. But you clearly pushed it a bit too far when you did it the third time. Either you thought I didnt know what to say, or you thought a bit too high of yourself. Done anyway.

Or i think it's ridiculous to believe that just because a Person is smart they automatically have the ability to play chess. Playing Chess is a skill like any other. You have to learn it. The Grandmasters of Chess are not the smartest people on Earth...they're just the ones that play Chess the best. They can't design Zero Point Energy Generators just because they play Chess really well. Conversely, just because Someone can design a Zero Point Energy Generator...it does not automatically give them an ability to play Chess.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tparks

@cjdavis103: I don't know a lot about the doctor either, but I'm looking forward to learning a lot about him when our tourny starts.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 the_red_viper  Moderator

@tparks:

really the doctor has been playing chess for 1000+ years and is a certifiable alien super genius V stands no chance against him

V is an idea. Ideas are undefeatable!

Cjdavis103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper:

Loading Video...

the doctor has a thing RESPECT THE THING!!!!!!!