Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13420 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Thinking of picking up an X title.

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JoeEddie

I have no idea where to begin. I used to read X-Men as a kid until Grant Morrison took over. I am thinking of buying the trade of this http://www.comicvine.com/all-new-x-men/49-53919/ when it comes out in April. I have been out of the loop so long not even sure if I will be able to follow it. Any suggestions?

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By dangallant984

@JoeEddie: I'm reading All-new X-men, it's up to about issue 8 now, and it's pretty fun.

Uncanny X-men (Cyclops' outlaw team) and Uncanny X-Force (Storm and Psylocke's team) are both only on issue 2, and seem pretty promising. I've also been reading Wolverine and the X-men, but I really can't recommend anything prior to issue 24; 24 & 25 are okay though.

The upcoming X-men (Storm's team, by Wood & Coipel!) is the book I'm most anticipating, though.

No Caption Provided

Also, if you stopped reading X-men when Morrison came on board, you might wanna check out Whedon & Cassaday's Astonishing X-men. It was collected in four trades, and they're all quite good.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Blood1991

Uncanny X-Force is self contained and as mentioned above X-Men will be out in May. I suggest giving them a try before throwing yourself into the X-verse.

snyderman567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By snyderman567

If you do not mind the slow pace, All New-X-Men is a solid start.

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CTG

@JoeEddie: There are a couple of roads you could take:

If you want to get up to speed, read the Messiah Trilogy (Messiah Complex, Messiah War, & Second Coming), X-Men: Schism and Avengers vs. X-Men. All are great reads (AvX is arguable, but very important) that we'll give you great X-Men based stories.

If you just want something great to read, go w/ Remender's Uncanny X-Force that just ended. Easily the best X-book pre-Marvel NOW! The next volume of UXF is only two issues deep and is awesome so far.

If you want to read something awesome and current then Uncanny X-Men, All-New X-Men, X-Men Legacy, & Uncanny X-Force are all great choices - just know that you should at least hitup Wikipedia and at least read up on AvX if not also Messiah Trilogy & Schism. Also know that Uncanny X-Men and All-New X-Men are basically companion books - they intersect a lot. Last thing, an all-female X-book is starting soon simply titled "X-Men".

JoeEddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JoeEddie

@dangallant984 said:

No Caption Provided

@JoeEddie: I'm reading All-new X-men, it's up to about issue 8 now, and it's pretty fun.

Also, if you stopped reading X-men when Morrison came on board, you might wanna check out Whedon & Cassaday's Astonishing X-men. It was collected in four trades, and they're all quite good.

I am interested in All-New X-Men just to see the classic X-Men again. What did you like about the Whedon/Cassaday run?

CTG said:

@JoeEddie: There are a couple of roads you could take:

If you want to get up to speed, read the Messiah Trilogy (Messiah Complex, Messiah War, & Second Coming), X-Men: Schism and Avengers vs. X-Men. All are great reads (AvX is arguable, but very important) that we'll give you great X-Men based stories.

If you just want something great to read, go w/ Remender's Uncanny X-Force that just ended. Easily the best X-book pre-Marvel NOW! The next volume of UXF is only two issues deep and is awesome so far.

If you want to read something awesome and current then Uncanny X-Men, All-New X-Men, X-Men Legacy, & Uncanny X-Force are all great choices - just know that you should at least hitup Wikipedia and at least read up on AvX if not also Messiah Trilogy & Schism. Also know that Uncanny X-Men and All-New X-Men are basically companion books - they intersect a lot. Last thing, an all-female X-book is starting soon simply titled "X-Men".

I am planning on getting the hardcover of AvX when the price drops. Definitely want to check out Uncanny X-Force by Remender because I have only read positive things about it.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By dangallant984

@JoeEddie said:

@dangallant984 said:

I am interested in All-New X-Men just to see them classic X-Men again. What did you like about the Whedon/Cassaday run?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Whedon's run may not have been the most original run, but it still has really quintessential, classic quality; all of the characters are written with really likeable and distinct voices, and Cassaday's facial expressions are just literally the best.

It's a pretty character defining story especially for Kitty, Cyclops, and Emma, but the rest of the cast (Beast, Wolverine, Colossus, Brand, Xavier, Fury, Armor, Blindfold, Danger) all get some really great moments too.

It's just a personal favourite of mine.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.