Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13419 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Just isn't what it used to be...May stop reading for first time!

excalman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By excalman

I loved the X-Men growing up. I began reading in the mid eighties when Claremont was writer and Paul Smith, Dave Cockrum and Romita Jr. were artists. A lot has changed since then and it hasn't been for the best in most cases. Back then the entire list of mutants read something like 50 mutants total. This was the good guys and the bad guys. The Morlocks were many but focused mostly on Caliban, Masque and Callisto and Claremont kept things well organized. The late 80's changed the team again but didn't keep focus on the members that left the team. When Claremont introduced the New Mutants he usually kept the story self contained except in the occasional Special or Annual when he threw in the X-Men. X-Factor focused mostly on the original team when it  and the Simonson team kept it self contained for the most part except for the whole Days of Future Present arch. Excalibur was wonderful and never really paid (much) attention to the American team(s). It seems like since Claremont left with X-Men #3 things have gotten over populated and convoluted. "Who is on the X-Men team these days?" my cousin asked me a few days ago (he read in the 80's as well). I thought for a second and I couldn't answer him. There are so many characters that I can't keep up anymore. The fact is, I told him, is that they don't have teams anymore except Uncanny X-Force and X-Factor which isn't technically a "team". They just seem to throw together a team for whatever mission that particular story calls for. Anybody on the island is a potential team member. There is almost no character development anymore. Character story lines are a near impossibility for any writer when you have 200 X-Men running around. The "end" of the true X-Men began in Excalibur #103 when Warren Ellis ended his run on the title. Just my opinion of course. I've held on over the last decade hoping for a return to true form but to no avail. Morrison's run and Whedon's "Astonishing" were the only things I found to be worth my time. Anybody else feel like it's been crummy for some time (Joe Quesada tenure). Feel they have way too many characters to roster anytime they want?

saturnssailor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By saturnssailor

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. Though I do think that the X-men team should be fairly large, I also think that it should be split into groups that spend the majority of their time as separate groups (like have X-men in California, New York, etc.). What really bugs me though is how they seem to be going quantity over quality as far as deaths are concerned. In every issue I read it seems that so many people have to die and their deaths mean nothing. I still read a few of them though (mostly ones with X-23, my favorite character, in it).

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By jrock85
    @excalman
    You'll soon realize that you are one of many jaded X-Men fans on this site.
    stumpy49er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By stumpy49er
    @excalman: Well said!
    I agree!

I pretty much stick to X Men Legacy, since: 
    1. Gambit  
    2. Carey is a good writer.  (Sadly he's leaving)   :(
    3. Small team 
    Also, I recently starting reading X-23 since, well same reasons as before, just switch Liu with Carey.

I was excited when Brubaker was writing it for a little bit, since he's a great writer, but his run didn't last long. I haven't had anything good to say about Fraction, yet it's probably unfair to blame it all on him. As you mentioned, probably best to blame Quesada more than anyone.
    If somehow Marvel could pull a coupe and get Geoff Johns, best writer in comics IMO, to take over the X Men and completely revitalize the series, I think the X Men franchise might be doomed for some time.
    Or hopefully some young up and comer writer takes over the X Men and revitalizes it. Probably not!
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I'm the biggest Cyclops fan you'll ever meet, and I stopped reading the X-Men books around 2 years ago. You're not alone in hating the crapfest that is the current X-Franchise.

jubilee042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By jubilee042

well schism will split them into 2 teams so little character development   is possible and i agree to many characters in the x men actually right now they are an army trying to prevent their extinction

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By papad1992

It's really the House of M that started it all.... They ruined a great hero (Scarlet Witch), made mutants an endangered species, and sought to bring every mutant together under one roof (or island) and build an army while at the same time missing out on character developments of certain characters and team harmony!! Because face it.... the last time I felt that the X-Men were a team was back before the Rise of the Shi'ar arc!!!! Now, new character's are being created every other issue while we have perfectly good characters that still need the developing (The X-Students). I actually happy about this split up between the X-army because now characters that aren't X-Men that live on Utopia will feel free to leave the island and embark on their own adventures!!!
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By John Valentine

Stop whining.

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By papad1992
    @John Valentine said:
    Stop whining.

Who says!? 

>_<
    Joesoef95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Joesoef95

You should try "Ultimate X-Men' :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.