Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13420 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Irving's Art (Uncanny X-Men)

jojo111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

So, I've been inactive on here for about a month or two, but I NEED to talk about how much I loathe Frasier Irving's artwork, especially since I LOVE Bachalo's art, specifically on Uncanny X-Men. Why do they keep trading artists? It's irritating in my opinion. Does anyone else agree and who do you prefer, Bachalo or Irving?

Avatar image for oldnightcrawler
    oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I'm loving Irving's art, personally. It reminds me of reading Heavy Metal Magazine when I was a kid, which I think fits the tone of the book really well.. sort of edgy and underground and away from the mainstream feeling.

I really like his approach to faces, and I think he's just getting better and better at defining these characters, they all feel really distinct and well weighted. With a core cast of such controversial characters, as well as because so many of the characters are new and still being defined, it really helps to have an artist who makes each character seem so human and distinct.

I like Bachalo, especially his older work from the beginning of Generation X in the mid 90's. But there's two main reasons I'm not wild about him on this book. Firstly, he's gotten more and more cartoony over the years, to the point where his characters generally all have the same couple of faces, and are really only distinguishable by their costumes. It really doesn't help me identify with any of the characters because none of them feel distinct or look like actual people.

And secondly, he's worked in this style on just about every X-men book in the last twenty years, which does nothing to help this book stand out as being anything different or new. Not that that's a bad thing, in itself, but when I think of what I like about this book specifically, it's Irving's renditions of the characters that stand out; when it's Bachalo, it just feels like Bachalo filling in on another X-book. Irving gives the book it's own distinct identity in the X-men's world, and I like that.

jojo111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I definitely see your points. Maybe Irving's art will just be something I need to adjust to, I do like the faces, I just don't overall love it. I just hope he uses a little more variety in his colors because when the X-Men were in Limbo, there was A LOT of red and then in another panel, they teleported back to the school and there was a lot of blue. I think it's also the hair that puts me off. It just seems odd to me lol

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jojo111: it is a weird style, for sure. I do remember thinking the stuff in limbo was a bit confusing because of the colors (although, I suppose it could be argued that that confusion was entirely appropriate for what was going on in the scene). It's the quieter, more character centered scenes that have made me appreciate his approach, I guess.

I get the feeling that he started with the Limbo arc because it was felt that story would play to his strengths, and allow him to be quite weird right out of the gate, but I've enjoyed each issue he's done since more and more. Issue 10 might be my favorite so far, in terms of the art.

jojo111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldnightcrawler: I actually haven't read issue number 10 yet because I'm currently away from any comic book stores and I'm in the middle of nowhere, but I should be back to civilization tomorrow and once I get #10 i'll keep your points in my mind and try and give Irving a second chance!

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jojo111: that's cool. I mean, I get that it is a really weird style, especially for an X-men comic, so I can get why people wouldn't be into it. I was just saying my reasons for liking it.

McKlayn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By McKlayn

@jojo111 said:

So, I've been inactive on here for about a month or two, but I NEED to talk about how much I loathe Frasier Irving's artwork, especially since I LOVE Bachalo's art, specifically on Uncanny X-Men. Why do they keep trading artists? It's irritating in my opinion. Does anyone else agree and who do you prefer, Bachalo or Irving?

Ditto, i hate his sh*t and i hate when they alternate artist

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GonnaRain

I've said it many and many times already. I don't like Irving's art, at all, or at least the inks. The colouring (IIRC it's also done by him) is actually nice, but the rest is... ugh, I can't stand his faces, they all seem awkward and just plain awful, I feel like there is a big lack of detail.

Bachalo on the other hand, I'm not really a fan, his art is cute, but it really doesn't fit a book like UXM, he has the same problem as Irving, and sometimes his art lacks detail.

Of the two of them, I would take Bachalo any day of the week, but I really wish UXM would get another artist to do the book some Justice. I'm loving the book, the art, when done by Bachalo is nice and all, but I think that if someone like Coipel, Immonen or DODSON were in charge, the book would reach a new level of awesome.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that if someone like Coipel, Immonen or DODSON were in charge, the book would reach a new level of awesome.

Like I said, I like Irving's work; but of those three, I think only Coipel and Immonen could really make this book any better than it is (which is some reflection on how good I think Irving is for this book, since they are two of my favorites).

Of those two, I'd rather see Immonen do it. Much as I like Coipel, he draws everyone, he's a crossover guy, mostly, so I can't see him giving the book much of a distinct feel of it's own, especially after doing the first arc of X-men. It's the (other) reason I don't think I don't think Bachalo's a good fit as the regular guy.

At least if it was Immonen, he already drew the back-story for this book in All-New X-Men, so it would still seem distinct as a continuation of that.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#10 god_spawn  Moderator

I like both their artwork for the most part. I do have my gripes with some things they do, but overall, I feel like they fit the tone of the book.

I like how he just does his work. And I can't really describe it, to be honest. I like various shades of tones we get.

I like when we get panels like this

No Caption Provided

He does a good job at getting you to focus where he wants with his detail and the various tones of coloring.

I do not like Irving's faces, though. I think they look a little dwarfish, especially in regards to how he portrays his female characters. And sometimes to bodies of his characters appear a little too flat. I'm at least glad he isn't on this book permanently. When we had the Limbo arc, I think he did good because the arc called for it his style of artwork. Kind of gritty, metallic, and surreal which fit the tone. Bachalo I think has him better on his overall presence and style for the book. Bachalo can be cartoony, yes. But he isn't pulling the stuff he did on WATXM and grateful for that.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#11  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

The art and colours are really beautiful but it's not the right art for Uncanny X-men. The chacrter faces look weird as hell.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

@jojo111 said:

I prefer Irving's art. So much so that I'm using it as my avatar. Bachalo is questionable at times.

GonnaRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GonnaRain

@oldnightcrawler said:

@gonnarain said:

I think that if someone like Coipel, Immonen or DODSON were in charge, the book would reach a new level of awesome.

Like I said, I like Irving's work; but of those three, I think only Coipel and Immonen could really make this book any better than it is (which is some reflection on how good I think Irving is for this book, since they are two of my favorites).

Of those two, I'd rather see Immonen do it. Much as I like Coipel, he draws everyone, he's a crossover guy, mostly, so I can't see him giving the book much of a distinct feel of it's own, especially after doing the first arc of X-men. It's the (other) reason I don't think I don't think Bachalo's a good fit as the regular guy.

At least if it was Immonen, he already drew the back-story for this book in All-New X-Men, so it would still seem distinct as a continuation of that.

Immonen, IMO, is the best thing about ANXM. I really don't like the book, but the art is the only reason why I don't miss any issue... and the possibility of cameos from the Uncanny Team of course. I love how he portrays everyone, his take on Scott's new suit is the best so far, and his Emma is beautiful.

Coipel, I really like in general, I like his style, specially with faces, even if some characters tend to look the same, I just like how he does them.

Finally Dodson, his style has something that really appeals to me, he has been one of my favorite comic artist so far, and his Emma is one of the best to be honest, and that's something that really matters to me, haha.

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By oldnightcrawler

@gonnarain: I like Dodson alright, but I think he would make this book feel too generic.. too much like a superhero book. I mean, I know that is is a superhero book, but to me a lot of the appeal is that this are a very different kind of superhero book, and I think the art should reflect that. I can't see Dodson making this book look any different than he made the X-men look five years ago, is all.

Oh, and he draws everyone with the same faces and bodytypes: not a good approach for making a bunch of new characters feel distinct.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I think Irving's are is great. He has his own style which is different from most other artists.

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whether it's Irving or Bachalo, the art for UXM has been hit or miss for me. I could love one panel and absolutely hate the next.

tomasmaclgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tomasmaclgh

I said it before in another thread, Irving's art for the Limbo arc was a perfect match.

I just was the preview for issue 11 and I got to say, I like it. It still feels weird, but good kind of weird.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not a major fan of the art on this book.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By knighthood

The only criticism could be his hair. It get's a little boring after a while.

xmentas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Irving's art? IT BURNS GET IT AWAY!

oldnightcrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..discouraging Philistines..

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xmentas said:

Irving's art? IT BURNS GET IT AWAY!

Irving doesn't burn... That's Dormammu!

No Caption Provided

VesKaGan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Normally bachalo is one of my least favorite artists. But he beats Irving any day. That guy is way to "arty" for my taste.

OrphanCrippler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

hate both. i only like artist like Mark Bagley or Eddie Barrows

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hate both. i only like artist like Mark Bagley or Eddie Barrows

Bagley? I can't stand his recent work.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.