Follow

Teen Titans

Team » Teen Titans appears in 2164 issues.

The Teen Titans are the premier team of young heroes in the DCU. Currently led by Damian Wayne, the team fights for the greater good and to recruit other young heroes like them.

Will Pfeifer Talks TEEN TITANS, Manchester Black, and New Members Coming to the Team

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

With the latest volume of TEEN TITANS, Will Pfeifer has been restructuring the team and giving them a new sense of direction. Lately, we've seen Manchester Black appear with the offer sharing some of S.T.A.R. Labs' resources with the team. Amidst all the chaos and attacks, we've even seen the addition of a new member to the team with the new Power Girl.

Issue #7 came out this week and next issue will see the return of Superboy so we asked Pfeifer some questions about the team and book.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: Where did the decision come to start using Manchester Black?

WILL PFEIFER: Way back when the series was in the planning stage, we knew we wanted a suitable character to match wits with the Titans — someone who could play the game on both sides, someone who might be using the Titans for his own ends while also helping them achieve their goals. Someone, in other words that would keep both the Titans and the readers guessing. Manchester Black, given his innate cunning and his uneasy relationship with the super-hero community, was the perfect choice. As a writer, I always enjoying working with someone who’s one of the smartest guys in the room, and Manchester is at least three or four steps ahead of just about anyone in the book, let alone the room. The dialogue scenes between him and Red Robin or him and Cassie have been some of the most fun I’ve had with the book so far. Not only is he smart and cagey, he’s also, more often than not, an arrogant jerk — and that’s always enjoyable to write.

No Caption Provided

CV: Can this younger/newer version be trusted?

WP: Nope. Not a bit. Next question?

CV: The Titans working with S.T.A.R. Labs could be a good move for them. Will they be sticking around (provided there’s anything left to salvage issue 7)?

WP: There will still be a connection between at least a few of the Titans and S.T.A.R. Labs — in fact, that connection will be even closer before too long. But some of that is going to move to the background of the story.

As someone who grew up reading DC comics, I always like the fact that S.T.A.R. Labs was a constant presence in the DCU, like Microsoft or Apple or any other big tech company you’d see in our world, lurking in the background, making products everyone uses. Of course, this being a world with superheroes, supervillains and other high-powered intrigue, S.T.A.R. isn’t just another corporation – it’s a powerful force itself, and one of the fun things in writing the Teen Titans so far has been playing with how a company like that – especially one led by guys like Manchester Black – acts as a behind-the-scenes force in this world.

The next couple of issues hint at the history of S.T.A.R. Labs, and believe me, some of it’s not exactly the sort of thing you’d trumpet in an annual report to the stockholders.

No Caption Provided

CV: What do you have planned for the new Power Girl?

WP: Big things, I assure you. From her first moments with the Titans in issue 6, she was questioning what they did and how they went about it. As she gets to know them better, that sense of questioning is only going to grow. She combines the intelligence of a child prodigy/genius with the natural tendency of a teen to question authority — and in Tanya’s case, the authority she’s questioning are the super-heroes who are only slightly older and more experienced than she is. Over the next several issues, Power Girl is going to go through a lot — a real baptism of fire, in other words — but when the dust settles, her role in the Titans in going to be very, very different.

No Caption Provided

CV: Is the team roster set now or could we possibly see other characters joining the team?

WP: Aside from the addition of Power Girl, the roster has been solid for the last several issues — since Kenneth [Rocafort] and I took over the book, in fact. So it’s about time to mix things up a bit. I’m not going to go into any detail, for obvious reasons, but there are going to be some additions to the Titans over the next several months, and there are going to be some departures, too. One of the most enjoyable things about writing a team book like the Teen Titans is bouncing the various personalities off each other, and changing the lineup is one sure way to keep things bouncing in interesting directions.

CV: It seems something’s brewing between Cassie and her mom. Will the two get a chance to sit down and talk?

WP: They might, but as is the case with most parents and children, whenever they finally get a few seconds to sit down and talk things out, something always comes up. The trouble is, Cassie is going to be facing some very very big issues soon, bigger things than she’s had to deal with so far, and she could really use a bit of guidance — even if she’s not the sort of woman who’s willing to actually ask for it.

CV: Is it weird that I find myself reading/hearing the Red Robin and Beast Boy parts with the voices from Teen Titans Go?

WP: It’s a little weird, but I can understand — I love that show, too! Now I just hope I don’t hear those voices as I write the scripts. As much fun as TTG is, it’s not quite the mood we’re aiming for at the moment.

CV: Anything you can tell us or tease about the return of Superboy?

WP: Just that it’s not a heartwarming reunion that leaves everyone with a warm feeling. Superboy returns under the worst possible circumstances, and things go — rapidly — downhill from there. His return forces each one of the Titans to make some hard choices, and those choices are going to determine the direction the book takes from the annual forward. It’s going to be a hell of a ride, trust me.

TEEN TITANS #7 is now on sale. Look for Superboy's return in TEEN TITANS #8, on sale March 18, 2015.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Sounds cool. Can't wait for the trade to come out.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

It actually is a little weird since the Robin from TV is Dick and this is Tim

@saint_wildcard said:

Honestly I'd say skip it. I was really hopeful for this new run, I like the writer, and I do think it's better then the last run, but it's really not a very enjoyable read at this stage. I hate to say something so negative in the interview for this book, but it's the truth. However I think as time goes on it will improve.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Give me:

Bombshell

Kid Devil

Aqualad

Blue Beetle

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I dropped Teen Titans after Lobdell..

Is this run good...

Also, I want Kid Flash back or is he already back...

cloudyimpulse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cloudyimpulse

I don't know. Didn't like the New 52 launch, and I haven't been picking this up. Just read a couple of issues.

Man I miss me some Young Justice. Mainstream comics are just passing me by more and more these days. Oh wells.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

Aqualad

With Aquagirl) And yeah, Blue Beetle and some Static are too good to be left behind the scene.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeperson: Yes he's back, but he's not being called Kid Flash yet.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Same, but it's been great so far, easilly one of 3 best runs of the past 15 years.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeperson: nope, this run went south fast, the Lobdell run got off to a better start then this, though i seriously doubt this series will match that series's later levels of crap.

AriesWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to see Raven was the hero last issue. But it's easy to forget she probably still feels like killing the rest of the titans.

@awesomeperson: Yah, it is good. Check it out.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

i just want static. lol

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#14  Edited By Teerack

Power girl is black now?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: I am confused...

can someone explain this to me or something...

I dropped nearly everything new 52

bradoleary38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

long, long time Titans fan here and am usually up for most iterations of the team (I even liked the Dan Jurgens run) but all of the previews of this volume that I've seen look terrible!! It doesn't even feel like an actual "Titan's" books to me, more like some kind of imitation or parody. Normally I like Roccafort's art but his costume designs and covers for this have been awful. Hoping sales are down and DC will replace the creative team and try to reincorporate some of the team's rich history back into the book.

jonny1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

I might give this a read even though it might suck since I've heard mixed things about it along with it not being the perfect recommendation for new fans.

But it's nice to see Manchester Black reappear in the New 52.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that new Power girl is lacking something. Cant quite put my finger on it.

Other than its just dumb making new versions of pre-existing characters.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe its just me....but whenever creators on books start talking about shaking things up before we've had 3 or 4,story arcs all I can think about is Geoff Johns and how his Titans changed rosters so much the teams dynamic was nonexistent.

Again it could just be me, but let's get a team of Titans and let them BE the Titans for a while before shaking things up.....and no Lobdells run doesn't count for their tenure.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still not digging Raven's blue look.

Avatar image for the_kid_lantern
    The_Kid_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

Maybe its just me....but whenever creators on books start talking about shaking things up before we've had 3 or 4,story arcs all I can think about is Geoff Johns and how his Titans changed rosters so much the teams dynamic was nonexistent.

Again it could just be me, but let's get a team of Titans and let them BE the Titans for a while before shaking things up.....and no Lobdells run doesn't count for their tenure.

I'm sorry but are you sure you read GJ's TT run? His roster remained the same right up until the OYL fiasco IIRC. I picked up the series' first thirty issues or so and there were no roster changes at that point. After OYL it was all about roster changes with so many young heroes coming and going but that was part of the story. Who would've thought Kid Devil would be anyone's favorite? After OYL the roster changed every so often, but GJ kept the roster the same for at least the first thirty issues or so. How many arcs was that again...?

I want to like the TT again but I don't have any one character I really wanna get the book for. I'm interested in seeing how the new Superboy is welcomed [or not] into the team and how much of his new future son of Superman history is in tact [I'm betting he's pre New52 Superman's kid or an alt Injustice universe version]. I'd love to see a few old characters get New52'ed but I also think another new character wouldn't be bad. Skitter wasn't too great, and while Bunker provides something fresh he isn't enough on his own.

~KL~

joshua755

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoy the Titians book can’t wait for what comes next

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I dont think Rocafort is the best choice to draw teenage female superheroes.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

static and aqualad

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By KritikalMassX

@cobramorph said:

that new Power girl is lacking something. Cant quite put my finger on it.

I can think of a couple good reasons. XP Still, I'm digging her.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

I'm sorry but are you sure you read GJ's TT run? His roster remained the same right up until the OYL fiasco IIRC. I picked up the series' first thirty issues or so and there were no roster changes at that point. After OYL it was all about roster changes with so many young heroes coming and going but that was part of the story. Who would've thought Kid Devil would be anyone's favorite? After OYL the roster changed every so often, but GJ kept the roster the same for at least the first thirty issues or so. How many arcs was that again...?

I want to like the TT again but I don't have any one character I really wanna get the book for. I'm interested in seeing how the new Superboy is welcomed [or not] into the team and how much of his new future son of Superman history is in tact [I'm betting he's pre New52 Superman's kid or an alt Injustice universe version]. I'd love to see a few old characters get New52'ed but I also think another new character wouldn't be bad. Skitter wasn't too great, and while Bunker provides something fresh he isn't enough on his own.

~KL~

Techinically it's not a 'new' Superboy, it's just the first of the two the New 52 gave us. Which may turn out interesting since Raven was the only one of the team that noticed the two had been switched (unless something was added in the Superboy solo).

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sad that they plan to have members leave. I really don't want that I love these guys, I welcome additions, please no departures

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

I wouldn't mind seeing a new Speedy or Aqualad. If there are any departures I think seeing Wonder Girl spend sometime with Wonder Woman or Beast Boy joining the Doom Patrol would be fun. I hope Bunker doesn't leave because he comes off now as one of those characters that once left alone he'll kinda fade into obscurity and I think the character has some potential.

I wish I was picking this run up. It seems better and pretty good for the way DC has been treating the Titans in recent years.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

~KL~

Uh.....huh...what?

You misinterpreted me. My point wasn't that Geoff Johns team was shaken up from the get go, but that just when you start getting used to the new status quo of the book.....the roster always changed which I find annoying to see in team books. To the point it almost parodied it's self by acknowledging the amount turn over of the roster within the book and then started searching for more members. There's only so many times you can add a new team member who's got a rough attitude in a row or have a older member leave on a journey of self discovery and come back in 2-3 arcs... The book lost something by having so much turnover, and it was definitely evident in the teams dynamic being the weakest link in the book since it was only on display when a select few characters were on display.

Also Im pretty sure it's Clone Superboy Kon thats returning since they just brought him back through the Supergirl story-arc and the 2 Jon Lane Kent versions of him are *dead*.

Jbreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm currently enjoyng the series. It started off a bit shakey but I think it's really starting to find its feet.

I'm interested in seeing Superboy getting reintroduced to the team.

blackkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree... I have no problem with the character but really hate she's named Power Girl and the whole she filled out forms etc to make me the official Power Girl is simply forced and not terribly well executed. I do not like the original Power Girl in Earth 2 anyway. She's a favorite character of mine, and putting her in a book I will never read is upsetting.

KomicKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As comics are a visual medium, titles really need to have eye-catching artists/inkers on the team. Teen Titans just doesn't have that. Now, sure, we'll probably never see George Perez back on TT any time soon, but there are a few artists out there that have his drawing sensibilities. I've noticed this in several recent Marvel and DC titles - - crap artwork. If I don't get something nice to look at, it doesn't really matter (to me) how good a story might be.

Arkhamc1tizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 33

Sounds good.

selfproclaimed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

someone really needs to sort out wonder girl

Avatar image for the_kid_lantern
    The_Kid_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@koays said:

@the_kid_lantern said:
    @koays said:

~KL~

Uh.....huh...what?

You misinterpreted me. My point wasn't that Geoff Johns team was shaken up from the get go, but that just when you start getting used to the new status quo of the book.....the roster always changed which I find annoying to see in team books. To the point it almost parodied it's self by acknowledging the amount turn over of the roster within the book and then started searching for more members. There's only so many times you can add a new team member who's got a rough attitude in a row or have a older member leave on a journey of self discovery and come back in 2-3 arcs... The book lost something by having so much turnover, and it was definitely evident in the teams dynamic being the weakest link in the book since it was only on display when a select few characters were on display.

Also Im pretty sure it's Clone Superboy Kon thats returning since they just brought him back through the Supergirl story-arc and the 2 Jon Lane Kent versions of him are *dead*.

I guess I did read that wrong, but the first 30 issues that I read equaled at least 3 or 4 arcs. I just figured that was something you wanted to see and just thought the whole series was as crappy as the last 2/3rds of it turned into. I agree constant roster changes get's old all too quick, which is why I think the LoSH constantly suffers. It's also why I never bother reading anything with an X.

So wait... there were two "sons of Superman" introduced and both have already been axed? I knew of the one that showed up at the end of the Superboy series, but what about the other? And how did they die?

~KL~

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kid_lantern:

Whole series crappy...Absolutely not. Young Justice was my first real comic series and Tim Drake, Wonder Girl, Superboy, and Kid Flash as a group are my favorite "teen heroes". I followed them over to Teen Titans and enjoyed them more over there... that's sort of why looking back the shaky roster gets old quick. I mean they kept swapping out/killing off the main 4 and then couldn't keep the rest of the cast long enough for me to hold onto them. As an X-Men fan i'm use to the mix up of rosters generally involving people from a select group of books, so if I have to go through the trouble of tracking down an Aquaman issue i've never seen to find out who the new Aquagirl is and then she leaves off panel in like 4 issues...i get peeved.

Explaining New 52 Superboy huh? Ok here goes.... So Harvest (from the Culling) comes from the year 3000 to a few years in the future where Lois Lane gives birth and kidnaps Jon Lane Kent. He has him go on a killing spree of metas but because he's half human he starts to die of DNA issues. They show up in the present and create Kon the Superboy clone to use as a way to heal Jon who is in a tube. Kon breaks free and joins the Titans but ends up going 7 years into the future where Jon has woken from his tube and went back to killing metas. Jon switches places with Kon and ends up being sent back in time to the present. Now their are 2 Jon's one in a tube and one from the future who broke out of the tube. Then Kon comes back and the fight ends with all three of them merging then exploding and fighting different superboys from different realities. Then the Jon from the tube turns good and attacks the Jon from 7 years in the future and they both get wiped out but all the other superboys get sent home. phew....only at DC

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.