Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Question about heat vison

moolahs1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Does superman's heat vision come from his eyeballs or eyes? If he doesn't move his head but only moves his eyes, will his heat vision move?

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By Erik

Eyeballs are eyes. And yes, the heat vision comes out of the eyes.

moolahs1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

Eyeballs are eyes. And yes, the heat vision comes out of the eyes.

So it follows his eyes? Remember the scene in MoS? Why didn't Zod just look at the people?

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It does.

Plot would be my guess but some people could argue that Zod just was trying to force Superman to kill him, since his whole race was dead for good.

moolahs1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

It does.

Plot would be my guess but some people could argue that Zod just was trying to force Superman to kill him, since his whole race was dead for good.

I knew Zod was good after all!

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Erik

@erik said:

It does.

I knew Zod was good after all!

He's not at all. He slaughtered thousands of humans. Maybe tens of thousands.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

It does.

Eyeballs are part of the eye. It actually makes sense, because heat vision doesn't just come from the eyeball, it completely engulfs the entire eye sclera included, so just looking wouldn't change it's course, Zod would need to actually move his head.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erik said:

It does.

Eyeballs are part of the eye. It actually makes sense, because heat vision doesn't just come from the eyeball, it completely engulfs the entire eye sclera included, so just looking wouldn't change it's course, Zod would need to actually move his head.

The sclera is part of the eyeball, which makes up the eye. I'm an anatomist, you aren't going to snow me on human anatomy.

The heat vision was never shown to engulf the entire eye (as most of the eye cannot be seen without dissection) and the comics have shown very specifically that the heat vision comes through the iris. The movies have no reason to change it and it would just look stupid to see him bapping his head about to do something like writing with his heat vision.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9 JediXMan  Moderator
    @erik said:

@nickzambuto said:

@erik said:

It does.

The sclera is part of the eyeball, which makes up the eye. I'm an anatomist, you aren't going to snow me on human anatomy.

The heat vision was never shown to engulf the entire eye (as most of the eye cannot be seen without dissection) and the comics have shown very specifically that the heat vision comes through the iris. The movies have no reason to change it and it would just look stupid to see him bapping his head about to do something like writing with his heat vision.

Considering the nature of heat vision and how it essentially translates to "shooting light" (I think that's it. Something about shooting solar energy from his cells), it would make sense for it to come out of the iris.

Also, it should be the iris. It shot where he was staring, not just where his head was. As for Zod... maybe Zod just wasn't very bright. But it's quite possible that he wanted to die at that point.

moolahs1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By moolahs1700

@erik said:

@nickzambuto said:

@erik said:

It does.

If it did come through the iris, then why is heat vision always in a completely straight line? Irises move, so I believe even though it looks like it's coming from the iris, it is actually the position of the head that aims it. Make sense?

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it did come through the iris, then why is heat vision always in a completely straight line? Irises move, so I believe even though it looks like it's coming from the iris, it is actually the position of the head that aims it. Make sense?

It's a straight line because it's a beam, not a spray. An iris only becomes dilated or constricted, there is no iris I am aware of that can move in any other way. The iris is not a body part so much as it is an absence of a body part. It's literally a hole in the eye.

nightwing817

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the movie both superman and Zod had to move their head to essentially aim the heat vision. I'm not sure if this was because of not mastering the art, or because that's just the way it is. I think that it was because of the former in my opinion.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Squalleon

Considering that most Images show him firing straight, I would say that his heat vision comes from his eyes and it can be controlled by moving his head.

Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Superman's EyeballsEverything You Ever Wanted To Know About Superman's Eyeballs

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Maybe Superman only turns his head while shooting his heat vision because he's unsure if he looks down/up/to the side enough just by moving his eyes it'll burn his own skin (eyelids, mostly). Anyone ever think of that? The moving of the head is just a safety precaution.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.