Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18943 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Clark's Parents death

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jeremy1989

I will admit I didn't like New Superman for good reasons. Especially killing off both Martha and Jon Kent.

Honestly, I find that unnecessary for they are core reason for his upbringing and taking that away was uncalled for.

Speaking of that, Grant Morrison was preaching about Superman going back to his "roots". Which was the Golden Age Superman.

Also, want to clarify in the Golden Age, Martha and Jon died from natural causes,not from a car crash by a drunk driver.

These are just my opinions

Tell me what you think?

Do you found Martha and Jon Kent's death in the New 52 redundant?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I love jeans and shirt Superman so no

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By 2cool4fun

I love everything in the new 52 that has been done in AC ( unless it had except for those 3 psy chapters ), but I really hate the fact that Grant Morrison killed his parent. I thought this guy out of all would understand their importance.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Nope, it was a great call.

Yes, natural cause would've better represented Superman's inability to save everyone, but it wouldn't have made him the angry kid we saw.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I don't like it. Should have been the traditional Pa died from a heart attack while ma lives on.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: You mean Bronze Age precedent.

Both died in the Golden Age, both died in the Silver Age...both are dead in the N52...

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@allstarsuperman: You mean Bronze Age precedent.

Both died in the Golden Age, both died in the Silver Age...both are dead in the N52...

Yeah I know but Reeve movies and Smallville are the more popular and well known origin.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I actually kind of like that they're not here for him (weird that I'm saying that)

It makes the Clark becoming Superman all the more difficult and more interesting. Guess it kind of explains his slightly more brash attitude as well which makes a lot of sense.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Smallville and Reeve = same Superman.

But I think we should go with what the creators wanted from Superman--dead parents.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By z3ro180

I would have liked it if Pa Kent died of a heart attack and Ma Kent died of old age.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Night4345

@allstarsuperman: Smallville and Reeve = same Superman.

But I think we should go with what the creators wanted from Superman--dead parents.

Smallville is completely different take on Superman. Superman has changed pretty much everything since the beginning besides the costume (which has the emblem change in size and shape through different incarnations).

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Squalleon

To be honest, I like that Ma and Pa are dead for three reasons.

1. It shows that Superman can be human even without being around his human parents all the time. Making his ideals and morals even stronger.
    2. Becaming Superman was completely his decision.
    3. We won't have another "The death of Jonathan Kent". The guy has died more times than any other parent in comics :-P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.