Follow

Suicide Squad

Team » Suicide Squad appears in 774 issues.

A constantly changing black ops group composed primarily of incarcerated super-villains who perform black ops missions with a low chance of survival in exchange for the possibility of a shortened sentence. This "squad" was organized and put together by Amanda Waller. The official name is "Task Force X", it's nickname is the "Suicide Squad".

More Suicide Squad Books Come to DC in August

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

DC Entertainment is proud to announce that just in time for the blockbuster summer film, August will see the return of the worst heroes ever in an action-packed quartet of SUICIDE SQUAD tales, including a new SUICIDE SQUAD main title, the return of John Ostrander to Task Force X on a new one-shot and a new cast of characters debuting in the SUICIDE SQUAD: MOST WANTED anthology!

No Caption Provided

SUICIDE SQUAD MOST WANTED: EL DIABLO AND BOOMERANG #1 begins a new monthly six-issue mini-series on August 10th featuring a lead story starring El Diablo written by Jai Nitz and a series of shorter second features by writers graduating from the just-completed inaugural class of DC’s Writers Workshop. Issues 1-2 will feature Boomerang (SUICIDE SQUAD MOST WANTED: EL DIABLO AND BOOMERANG) by Michael Moreci, issues 3-4 will feature Killer Croc (SUICIDE SQUAD MOST WANTED: EL DIABLO AND KILLER CROC) by Chris Sebela and issues 5-6 will feature Amanda Waller (SUICIDE SQUAD MOST WANTED: EL DIABLO AND AMANDA WALLER) by Vita Ayala.

If that isn’t enough Suicide Squad for you, DC’s brand-new double-shipping main SUICIDE SQUAD comic book series hits shelves with SUICIDE SQUAD: REBIRTH #1 on August 3rd and SUICIDE SQUAD #1 hitting shelves just two weeks later on August 17th. The new series, written by Rob Williams, will feature artists Jim Lee, Philip Tan, Scott Williams, and Jonathan Glapion.

And we’re not stopping there! John Ostrander returns to the Task Force X for the first time in a decade to tell one of his boldest and bloodiest stories ever in the one-shot SUICIDE SQUAD: WAR CRIMES SPECIAL #1 on August 31st. The writer who started a revolution returns!

Want more informnation? Full solicit text below. And stay tuned for all of August 2016’s solicitations to break at 2pm PST today!

SUICIDE SQUAD: REBIRTH #1

No Caption Provided

Written by ROB WILLIAMS • Art and cover by PHILIP TAN and JONATHAN GLAPION • Variant cover by AMANDA CONNER

Soldier. War hero. Traitor. Captain Rick Flag was one of America’s greatest military commanders before he was banished to a secret military prison. But after years of isolation, Flag’s life changes forever when a woman called Amanda Waller offers him redemption in exchange for taking on the single most dangerous job in the entire DC Universe: keeping the Suicide Squad alive!

On sale AUGUST 3 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

SUICIDE SQUAD #1

No Caption Provided

Written by ROB WILLIAMS • Art and cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS • Variant cover by LEE BERMEJO

“The Black Vault” part one! When a mysterious and definitely super-important cosmic item falls out of the heavens and into enemy hands, America has only one option: Task Force X, Amanda Waller’s strike team of incarcerated super-criminals. A one-stop-shop for plausibly deniable espionage and ultra- violence, this “Suicide Squad” only handles missions they’re not expected to survive. An insane new era of SUICIDE SQUAD begins here with superstar artist Jim Lee and red-hot writer Rob Williams (UNFOLLOW, MARTIAN MANHUNTER).

On sale AUGUST 17 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

SUICIDE SQUAD: WAR CRIMES SPECIAL #1

No Caption Provided

Written by JOHN OSTRANDER • Art by GUS VAZQUEZ • Cover by JUAN FERREYRA

When a retired American politician is taken to Europe and tried for alleged war crimes, the USA must recover him from an allied nation before terrible truths are revealed. Enter the Suicide Squad, who storm the Hague itself to save America from her own dark secrets. The writer who started a revolution, John Ostrander returns to the Suicide Squad for the first time in a decade to tell one of his boldest and bloodiest stories ever.

One-shot • On sale AUGUST 31 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T+

SUICIDE SQUAD MOST WANTED: EL DIABLO AND BOOMERANG #1

No Caption Provided

Written by JAI NITZ and MICHAEL MORECI • Art by CLIFF RICHARDS and OSCAR BAZALDUA • Covers by MIKE HUDDLESTON

From the pages of SUICIDE SQUAD comes an all-new series featuring two of the team’s most infamous heroes, El Diablo and Boomerang! First, a sudden pardon frees the fiery El Diablo from Belle Reve prison, much to the shock (and irritation) of team leader Amanda Waller. Chato returns to his old neighborhood to reunite with his family, but when he’s attacked by a heavily armed local gang and their leader, the deadly, super-powered Bloodletter, will his freedom and his life get cut dramatically short?

Meanwhile, in the first chapter of two-part tale written by Michael Moreci (from DC’s Writers Workshop program) with art by Oscar Bazaldua, Boomerang and the Squad embark on a mission to take down a ruthless dictator within a small, unstable Central American nation, but when the mission goes awry, the Squad must jump in a helicopter and flee as all hell breaks loose. But amid the chaos, the team realizes one of them was accidentally left behind: Boomerang! How can he stay alive long enough to be rescued when a whole army wants him dead?

On sale AUGUST 10 • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T+

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I'll probably check them out, and I'm praying to Zeus the movie is good. DCEU needs it to be.

SEGENIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Disguisting

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Thank the Primes they fixed Harley's hair. Those little twin bun pigtail things were awful. Still not getting any of these though.

Epyon007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Epyon007

I'll definitely try new suicide squad, not sure about the most wanted stuff. I like Captain Boomerang, but not really interested in El Diablo.

I love the fact Harley is carrying a stuffed joker with her on the cover of the first issue. Seems like they will have it mirror the movies to a certain extent at least with the characters in the squad.

jonny1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

It's nice to see John Ostrander return to write a Suicide Squad comic-book.

I am interested in reading the mini-series featuring El Diablo and Boomerang since I love El Diablo.

Not too big into Deadshot's new look.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most likely not going to buy, but really loving the current arc of Suicide Squad.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Most likely not going to buy,

Any reason why?

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Ostrander!!!! Im going to definitely read that. Glad to see so much Suicide Squad stuff. Hopefully it all ends up being good. Though Id rather another character other than El Diablo got a Most Wanted. I dont hate him at all. I just think there are so many other characters that would be cooler.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I figured Williams would be the new Suicide Squad writer when he hinted at it at a panel I went to earlier this year. At least he's a very talented writer based on his Martian Manhunter work so DC aren't just milking the Suicide Squad movie for what it's worth. Interesting to see Ostrander back on a Suicide Squad mini, guess DC are trying to recapture what they lost with Rebirth.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Its a one shot not a mini series unfortunately. :(

apokos7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By apokos7

Good news! Rob Williams is great and the art team is phenomenal so Suicide Squad is most definitely worth checking out. If I like the art based on previews I might also check out the War Crimes Special. Also the Deadshot Most Wanted mini-series was really nice (Katana was so-so) so no harm in trying the new one, too.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am exited to see what Ostrander is going to do with the Squad.

Avatar image for deactivated-57af58bda2d61
    deactivated-57af58bda2d61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Neat, hope it's worth it

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Avatar image for deactivated-6078d92bc3efb
    deactivated-6078d92bc3efb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm happy to see more El Diablo (Boomerang not so much).

And the return of Rick Flag to Suicide Squad? Sure I guess...

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find their lack of Black Manta disturbing...

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: He's not even that important of a member so it makes sense he isnt here.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Deadshot's suit looks like the one from XO Manowar

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By TheExile285

Well I think I'll be reading War Crimes Special at least.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: It makes sense because he's not in the film.

He's more relevant than Killer Croc, Katana, and Captain Boomerang for the comic.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: I agree about Croc and Katana, but Captain Boomerang has been and continues to be an important member of the team as he's been in most incarnations of the team since he was a member in the 80s as opposed to Black Manta who has been a brief member in the New 52.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Good for DC. Hopefully their sales rise with this

~MIB

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who actually likes Harley Quinn ?

Avatar image for timelordscience
    TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: someone hasn't read Ostrander's run :3

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131: I love Harley Quinn but hate the monster she is becoming.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131: I love Harley Quinn but hate the monster she is becoming.

Yes, I loved her back in Batman:TAS

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelordscience: NOPE. I didn't get into comics until 2011. And didn't even read Suicide Squad until last year.

@darkdetective27: Right and I get that. But, for the past year to the Squad, Black Manta has been there, which is my point.

Now with the movie and Rebirth, makes sense to have the same Squad featured. I just really like Black Manta.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: I get that you like Black Manta, but he can shine in the Aquaman series and Captain Boomerang has been helping the team off and on again for like 20 years.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: True. I guess this Squad could be good. I like Katana and Cap can be fun. El Diablo seems cool too.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: Yeah Im optimistic towards this new series.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Pass. Movie looks like crap not going to support the movie merch.

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: the Squad is not really a flattering position for Manta to be in. Sure he'd gain some popularity, but all of the Task Force X members are rejects that are pawns in Waller's game. It's not Manta's style.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theexile285: I find that Juan Ferreyra is the perfect artist for Suicide Squad and hate that he is only doing one arc. For a team called, Suicide Squad, because the team members are established characters, there is no tension that one of them will be killed in any issue. So I usually leave Suicide Squad off my pull list. I would enjoy to hear a counter.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: the Squad is not really a flattering position for Manta to be in. Sure he'd gain some popularity, but all of the Task Force X members are rejects that are pawns in Waller's game. It's not Manta's style.

It's more, if it's not in a book featuring Aquaman (and even then, he's MIA a lot latey) I don't have very much opportunity to see what's up with Manta.

Ethan-Ricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yuck, that Deadshot design is awful. Not too terribly excited for this, especially with more Harley Quinn, but I feel like I have to support Captain Boomerang and Deadshot somehow.

TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: I still think he doesn't fit in at all with the rest of the Suicide Squad, despite liking the character quite a bit. He seems better as someone in control, not part of a team. He's Aquaman's Lex Luthor. I love Luthor and Joker but they have no place on the Suicide Squad, it'd make no sense and it's not in their character. The only reason he doesn't appear in as many places as those two is writers and publicists haven't done a good enough job making him impressive to a mainstream audience.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelordscience said:

@scouterv: I still think he doesn't fit in at all with the rest of the Suicide Squad, despite liking the character quite a bit. He seems better as someone in control, not part of a team. He's Aquaman's Lex Luthor. I love Luthor and Joker but they have no place on the Suicide Squad, it'd make no sense and it's not in their character. The only reason he doesn't appear in as many places as those two is writers and publicists haven't done a good enough job making him impressive to a mainstream audience.

So much this.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im kinda game on this, i however am not too crazy as to how theyre making Croc look now. He's looking more alien then human/reptilian.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@timelordscience said:

So much this.

Not that I don't agree with this, I just think it would help more to have him featured in other books, aside from Aquaman books, and possibly in different scenarios.

And maybe something closer to an Injustice League book or something similar would be better. But, beggars can't be choosers, right? I mean, the man already killed a baby! Can't get much more evil than that, and it sounds like Orm is going to be in the first Aquaman Villain on-screen. But, I can hope.

Khaji-Da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure I remember El Diablo dying in the New 52.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e09a6b06793e
    deactivated-5e09a6b06793e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadshot looks god-awful (not Will Smith bad, but close).

shinobi62676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just now realized that I'm not loving the armored look for Deadshot. I kind prefer what he wore in the Christos Gage comics.

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.