Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Anything dark??

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was wondering are their any dark stories that involve Peter Parker at all,sense my interesting in Spider-man is starting to grow.I know Marvel probably doesn't have dark characters I just read alot of Batman trades.Thnx

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By PeppeyHare

I know Marvel probably doesn't have dark characters

They have plenty of dark characters.

Read Kraven's last hunt.

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: Oh...People told me different things thanks anyways guys...I will enjoy the read

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By PunyParker

@flameboy298: Back In Black,Kraven's Last Hunt,Grim Hunt....

TheTrollDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheTrollDance

The two Noir stories (Spider-Man Noir and Eyes Without a Face) are pretty dark, and so is Spider-Man Reign. They're both great reads.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

there is a TON of dark Spider-man stories...I don't think people realize just how dark most of Spider-man's books have been...just because he's a joker type of character I think a lot of people assume that his stories are generally light toned but for the the most part he's had a lot of f##ked up stuff happen to him

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

Define what you mean by dark. If you mean tone then Spider-Man has in the middle of some of the darkest stories Marvel has ever told, if you're talking about this modern trend of dark and gritty just for the sake of being dark and gritty with no actual depth then you might want to stick with Wolverine.

Phaedrusgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Grim Hunt, go, go, go!

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jimishim12

IMO Superior Spider-Man is the qessential darker and edgier decontructor fleet of Spidey's entire comic history and one of the darkest tales of a comicbook superhero rivaling Batman stories like the Dark Knight Returns, The Court of Owls and Killing Joke. It's Darker than Back in Black, The Night Gwen Stacy Dided, Grim, Hunt and even darker than Kraven's Last Hunt. Because Spiderman never in those books killed people out of Jason Todd level pragmatism(even though he showed he was prepared to do so), Spock did and completely changed 616 Spidey's purity as a No killing superhero. Also he became the first deconstruction of his ridiculous double life being broken down and taken to logical extremes.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man's 616 continuity died the day Peter made a deal with the demon Mephisto. Post OMD, the last 8 years have slowly eroded any remnant of Peter's true original characterization.

Superior Spider-Man certainly had Peter as SpOck behaving way out of character as a murderer, torturer, misogynist, pervert and potential rapist. Whilst those actions can make for darker tales, Superior Spider-Man was only superficially grim-dark, because it really read like more of a parody.

IMO, Superior Spider-Man doesn't even come remotely close in comparison to greater works like: Dark Knight Returns, The Court of Owls, Killing Joke, Back in Black, Grim Hunt and Kraven's Last Hunt. Those stories were well crafted with dark psychological elements keeping in line with the established characterization rather than doing things to change the character.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By silent_bomber

Spider-Man hasn't been particularly dark since the early 90s, stuff like Black in Back is just embarrassingly "adolescent-edgy"

That story is pretty much a teenager's idea of dark, lots of posturing, lots of shouting, lots of rain and lightning etc etc

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By The_Waffle

@magnetic_eye said:

IMO, Superior Spider-Man doesn't even come remotely close in comparison to greater works like: Dark Knight Returns, The Court of Owls, Killing Joke, Back in Black, Grim Hunt and Kraven's Last Hunt. Those stories were well crafted with dark psychological elements keeping in line with the established characterization rather than doing things to change the character.

^^THIS^^

Superior was garbage, it was mediocre/okay at best. Wasn't even that dark to me because it read like a kiddies cartoon

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.