Follow

Powers

Series »

In a world where heroes may not be the very heroic, cops Christian Walker, an ex-power himself, and Deena Pilgrim investigate crimes that involve the very irresponsible super-powered community.

Powers Episode 101: "Pilot"

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Note: We're keeping this pretty spoiler-free and skipping the recap for the opening episode of this new series.

Playstation Network's first attempt at jumping on the super-hero bandwagon is a noble one. If there's one thing that can be said about the vast majority of pilot episodes to a new series it's that they tend to be a sub-par look into what's coming down the line. Powers is a tad better than that though and is actually well-adjusted to suit the whims of both the fans of the comic book series and folks who have never heard of POWERS at all.

No Caption Provided

The synopsis of show offers a pretty good insight into what the first episode tries to and successfully achieves in it's 51 minute run-time:

Powers, an edgy dramatic series, follows the lives of two homicide detectives, Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim, who are assigned to investigate cases involving people with superhuman abilities, referred to as “Powers.” Set amidst today’s paparazzi culture, Powers asks the questions, what if the world was full of superheroes who aren’t actually heroic at all? What if all that power was just one more excuse for mischief, mayhem, murder, and endorsement deals?

Enter the men and women of the Powers Division, the brave people in charge of protecting humans like us and keeping the peace over commercialized, god-like men and women who glide through the sky imposing their power over the mortals who both worship and fear them.

Right off the bat, this show is edgy. It's violent but only when necessary and using real world language, which just so happens to be language network television doesn't like to use. The audience is introduced to the edgy part of the show right in the opening as a Powered human takes down a detective and Christian Walker (Sharlto Copley) shoots the person a good ten times in the chest to take him down. While that may literally seem like over-kill, Powers reminds the viewer, time and time again that just because this is similar to the real world that doesn't mean the rules apply here, like dying from being shot in the chest.

At the same time, the show brings the next scene back to reality by cutting to Mario Lopez hosting Extra and talking about the shooting within the police station. Sure, it's a tad cheesy and silly, but this scene is very important for a few reasons: it reestablishes the suspension of disbelief by connecting this world to ours and shows the viewer that there's fame within the world of super-powers. This is going to sound insane, but Mario Lopez and Extra offer credibility to this world.

This, like many other pilots, is where the viewer is barraged with an info-dump in order to explain the world they've just stepped into. While the smooth and serene sound of Mario Lopez's voice helps get the audience through it, the scene is what it is and it's pretty apparent.

More than anything else, the whole episode is really a preview into the Powers world moreso than into the Powers series, which is a good thing as well as a bad thing. The pilot really pushes the focus into the fanaticism some people have over these Powered heroes. On the flip-side of things, it also focuses heavily on Christian Walker's past: a man who lost his Powers.

One of the most important characters within the pilot is Deena Pilgrim (Susan Heyward), Walker's new partner, who, much like the audience, is an outsider to all of this and experiencing things for the first time. She's a character right in the passenger seat with the audience. Her reactions and the same one the audience is having, with an added dash of a detective playing everything by the book and taking some things a bit too seriously. She's the perfect match to Walker and Heyward and Copley play exceptionally well off each other.

No Caption Provided

Aside from the crime-fighting aspects of this new world, the viewers are also treated to the seedy under-belly, which is the back and forth fumble of great moments and way over-the-top dramatic moments that don't make too much sense. In fact, all of those moments involve Johnny Royalle (Noah Taylor). Royalle is supposed to be the manipulative leader of some form of criminal element, and at times, that's nailed on the head, but during a few scenes, like where he's ripping up a playing card and naming the key players in the Powers scene, the viewer may be wondering what the heck he's doing and what the purpose of that is. All-in-all, he's good, but he's no Eddie Izzard.

He doesn't have too much screentime and pretty much bookends the pilot, but Eddie Izzard as Wolfe is the most memorable part of this pilot episode. The character is creepy and mysterious. The audience gets to know more and more about him through dialogue, but it's not until Wolfe is shown where the audience realizes that Izzard is all in on this show, and it's pretty freaking awesome. His off-screen dialogue in the opening is pretty fantastic and Izzard just has a fantastic way with words and letting the viewer know his intention through his tone. Wolfe and Izzard are what to look forward to in the upcoming weeks.

There are, however, some minor problems with the episode. The CGI is rough, at times. There's a shot with two powered beings fighting off in the distance and it looks cartoonish and not polished. Understandably, this show probably doesn't have to budget of The Flash, but it's pretty noticeable how off these effects look. There's also how the show is shot. There's plenty of times where Powers has the look and feel of a credit card commercial. The lighting is a little dim to invoke some grit or emotion, but the head on lighting on the characters is too much. It just doesn't feel like the production value is up to par with it's competitors. However, as far as pilot episodes go, Powers has the rest of them beat in the story department.

It's not the episode that will wow viewers, but it does a great job at reaching both fans of the comic, while keeping things friendly to those who aren't aware of its origins. In addition, Powers will grab the audience in for the next few episodes as well. It does what a pilot needs to do without feeling too much like it's dropping all the world's info on the viewers head. The show doesn't flat-out tell anyone where it is going because it's much more into establishing the world and its characters as well, which is a very good thing, since many pilots jump too quickly into long-form storytelling. All-in-all, this was a fine start to a new series.

Powers debuts on Playstation Network on March 10th.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I've read a ton of Powers. I was kinda put off by Walker in the trailer and my enthusiasm for the show is pretty low. Not that that is relevant seeing as how I don't own a PlayStation and will probably never see the show.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

So it's release weekly? Not all at once? Either way, good thing I have a PS4

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@g_man: Ah, good to know. I will give it a look.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By NightFang3

I'll wait for it online, like Hulu or something.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Don't have a Playstation sooo

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How do you watch this on Playstation? Does it cost money?

John-PH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@artisticneedham: The first episode is free, but you will have to pay for the rest of the episodes. If you have PS Plus then they're all free

MrStryve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show has Eddie Izzard in it?! Well, that is just cool.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the playstation network really the only way one can watch this?

Avatar image for carlomaldonado10
    carlomaldonado10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's seems this show gotten a lot of negative review people but I actually enjoyed this

dotwilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

very excited to get out of work and watch this.... and then some GTA heists.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Just watched it, and yeah it's pretty obvious the production is not on par with other comic book shows. Not sure how I felt about the pilot itself, I really like the cast but it just felt silly to me especially with the CGI & the scene with the Powers Kids

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the first episode a lot. Makes me wish the show Heroes didn't spoil TV superpowers for me. Having the show debut online rather than on TV seems to gives the writers a lot more freedom.

I'll still wait for the entire season to be released though. I don't think I wanna watch Powers weekly only to find out I won't enjoy it.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Having never read Powers, this was a cool first ep. I'll watch more

Kyle_Dornez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've read the first issues of Powers to compare when this episode airs, the exposition is a bit heavy-handed and tight budget occasionally rears its ugly head, but otherwise I liked it.

Avatar image for barstoolprophet
    BarstoolProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking forward to this. Glad to hear it's looking good

OUTBREAK666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it a lot. Watched the first 3 episodes. Wolf is badass and Simons is creepy as fuck

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.