How would you explain the changes in Power Girl Over The Years?

#1 Edited by GWHH (576 posts) - - Show Bio

As you can see from these two photos. Power Girl has changed a bit since 1988.

For a fun discussion. Less say for some reason the characters in the comics notice the changes in Power Girl. How would you explain the physical changes in Power Girl Over The Years?

I meet this in a funny way. How would the charcters in the DC comcis world. Discuss it if they saw old photos of her and her current photos!

Not in a debate on who and why they change her look!

#2 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Sun dipped boobs ?

#3 Posted by Darkmount1 (1281 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just the artist, depending on who they recruit. I mean look at it this way, in a late 80's Doom Patrol issue, she was drawn by a young Erik Larsen.

Online
#4 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Power Girl was in Justice League Europe 1 drawn by Bart Sears and that was when the giant boobs started. Bart Sears drew all the women with giant boobs but it sort of stuck in Power Girl.

#5 Posted by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@GWHH said:

As you can see from these two photos. Power Girl has changed a bit since 1988.

For a fun discussion. Less say for some reason the characters in the comics notice the changes in Power Girl. How would you explain the physical changes in Power Girl Over The Years?

@colonyofcells said:

Power Girl was in Justice League Europe 1 drawn by Bart Sears and that was when the giant boobs started. Bart Sears drew all the women with giant boobs but it sort of stuck in Power Girl.

PG always had bigger boobs, and a curvier figure, from her first appearance. She was drawn with enormous boobs in some issues during her Super Squad / JSA days in the 70s. But her costume didn't always have the cleavage window back then. From sears onward her cleavage was often more accentuated than in the 70s, e.g. the Conner panel above. Pushing the boobs up makes any woman look bustier. In that late-80s mini-series she was drawn a lot thinner and with much smaller boobs than she had been up until then. I suspect they thought that making her figure conform to the typical, slim female superhero type might have given her wider appeal, since they probably intended the mini to kick off a regular title. We should be thankful that it didn't work, because she might have been stuck with small boobs forever.

#6 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Not many people noticed the growing boobs joke in All Star Comics Super Squad by Wally Wood. I also did not notice it when I was a kid and thought Wally Wood had an out of proportion drawing style which some artists have. Wally Wood also did not draw a lot of Power Girl. Most of the bronze age Power Girl was drawn by Joe Staton, Jerry Ordway and also various JLA artists in the crossovers, and all of these other bronze age artists did not draw Power Girl with giant boobs. Post-coie, Power girl also did not have giant boobs in Infinity Inc, Secret Origins, Warlord, Power Girl 4 issue mini series, etc. and it just started with Bart Sears in JLI 1 when they ballooned.

#7 Edited by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

Not many people noticed the growing boobs joke in All Star Comics Super Squad by Wally Wood. I also did not notice it when I was a kid and thought Wally Wood had an out of proportion drawing style which some artists have. Wally Wood also did not draw a lot of Power Girl. Most of the bronze age Power Girl was drawn by Joe Staton, Jerry Ordway and also various JLA artists in the crossovers, and all of these other bronze age artists did not drawn Power Girl with giant boobs. Post-coie, Power girl also did not have giant boobs in Infinity Inc, Secret Origins, Warlord, Power Girl 4 issue mini series, etc. and it just started with Bart Sears in JLI 1 when they ballooned.

The Wally Wood story is supposed to be a myth. PG originally had a larger, curvier figure and boobs to match. Look at All Star / Super Squad #64 and notice how much bigger her boobs are compared to her previous appearance, though they were drawn fairly large up to that time also. Sears didn't usually draw them much bigger in proportion than they often were in All Stars.

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/198/4480/640/deep%20dish.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/198/4480/640/jle%205.jpg

However, he did draw them like balloons sometimes.

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/198/4480/640/jla%20hands.jpg

But they were drawn in that proportion even in her All Stars days sometimes.

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/198/4480/640/power%20girl%20showcase.jpg

I think what Sears and later artists dd was push them up and out, making them stand out more and accentuating the cleavage, rather than increasing their actual size.

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/198/4480/640/jsa%20cover%202.jpg

Sorry for posting urls instead of images - the image function didn't do it for me. It wouldn't even let me create links. Does anything on this over-designed editor work?

#8 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I grew up during the bronze age and I am pretty sure Joe Staton never drew female characters with giant boobs and this included Power Girl in Showcase/All Star Comics and when she was a guest star in the Huntress features. If you look at the 3 issues of Showcase that had Power Girl, it should be obvious that Power Girl had normal size boobs. The drawing you got from Showcase is a front view which can be hard to tell breast size sometimes bec. I usually rely on side views. Here are some links to showcase covers drawn by Joe Staton which was how Power Girl was also drawn by Dick Dillin and Jerry Ordway and even post-coie until Bart Sears started in jle 1. When I first saw jle 1, i could easily tell that the artist was drawing most of the women with giant boobs including Catherine Cobert :

http://www.comics.org/issue/32027/cover/4/

http://www.comics.org/issue/32121/cover/4/

post-coie atlantis origin of Power Girl. Inside story Power Girl boobs looks smaller and was drawn by Mary Wilshire. cover by Jerry Ordway which has the typical Jerry Ordway boobs.

http://www.comics.org/issue/42467/cover/4/

here is a seemingly flat chested Power Girl post-coie appearance before Bart Sears :

http://www.comics.org/issue/43444/cover/4/

#9 Posted by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

I grew up during the bronze age and I am pretty sure Joe Staton never drew female characters with giant boobs and this included Power Girl in Showcase/All Star Comics and when she was a guest star in the Huntress features. If you look at the 3 issues of Showcase that had Power Girl, it should be obvious that Power Girl had normal size boobs. The drawing you got from Showcase is a front view which can be hard to tell breast size sometimes bec. I usually rely on side views. Here are some links to showcase covers drawn by Joe Staton which was how Power Girl was also drawn by Dick Dillin and Jerry Ordway and even post-coie until Bart Sears started in jle 1. When I first saw jle 1, i could easily tell that the artist was drawing most of the women with giant boobs including Catherine Cobert :

http://www.comics.org/issue/32027/cover/4/

http://www.comics.org/issue/32121/cover/4/

post-coie atlantis origin of Power Girl. Inside story Power Girl boobs looks smaller and was drawn by Mary Wilshire. cover by Jerry Ordway which has the typical Jerry Ordway boobs.

http://www.comics.org/issue/42467/cover/4/

here is a seemingly flat chested Power Girl post-coie appearance before Bart Sears :

http://www.comics.org/issue/43444/cover/4/

Take a look at All Star Comics (Super Squad) # 64. Her boobs are enormous in that issue, like they suddenly jumped a couple of sizes up. That was well before Sears in JLE. In comics, boobs vary in proportion not only between issues and artists, but between panels in the same issue, so we can't judge from just one or a few panels. PG was definitely drawn often with much bigger than average boobs. However, originally PG was not so much big-busted but bigger and curvier all over. Sears made her bigger and muscular (rather than curvy) and bigger busted. That's when her boob size became more noticed and caught on with other artists.

I've noticed that generally boobs are drawn smaller when the character is in profile, particularly a character like PG with big boobs. Possibly this is because they would stand out much more in profile than when seen at other angles if drawn actual size. Not always though - in one panel in an issue of "DC Universe Online" PG and Black Canary are both seen in profile, facing each other and let's just say that they had to stand close together to both fit in the panel.

#10 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Wally Wood was the penciller for just 2 issues of all star comics (64-65) out of 17 issues. After all star comics got cancelled, it moved to Adventure Comics and all of those were drawn by Joe Staton. The Showcase Power Girl was also by Joe Staton. The big boob Power Girl from Wally Wood never caught on during the whole bronze age. Power Girl had appearances in Huntress features, Dc comics presents, Wonder Woman, JLA, Infinity Inc, America vs the JSA, COIE, post-coie appearances like Secret Origins, Warlord, Power girl mini series, etc. and all of these were drawn with normal boobs. It was just the big boob Power Girl starting in JLE 1 that caught on with other artists.

#11 Edited by GWHH (576 posts) - - Show Bio

Another reason not to like World Finest (issue …4)…. She looks like someone plain Jane sister that has a REALLY great chest and nothing else going for her!

#12 Posted by JonSmith (4000 posts) - - Show Bio

#13 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1187 posts) - - Show Bio

amanda conner is my fav pg artist.

#14 Posted by GWHH (576 posts) - - Show Bio

not to big not to small, just about right in my opinion. I like how she NOT spilling out of her outfit! Anyone know what issue this is frome and what year it was published?

#15 Posted by PowerGirlFan (246 posts) - - Show Bio

@gwhh: It's from JLE, around 1989-90 I think.

#16 Posted by youngman_logan96 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

BOOBSSSSSS!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.