Mockingbird: S.H.I.E.L.D. 50th Anniversary #1

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Mockingbird is a great character. I feel like she's been a little underused recently in the Marvel Universe. We saw her return from the dead and even go through a pretty big change in NEW AVENGERS in 2011. She has put in several appearances here and there but she needs more time in the spotlight. And that's what we get with this S.H.I.E.L.D. anniversary issue.

Chelsea Cain turns the spotlight on Bobbi Morse. When she hears the news a mentor from her days at S.H.I.E.L.D. was murdered, she has no choice but to investigate. Despite her recent adventures in the superhero corner of the Marvel Universe, it's a blast to see her take on a mission that's closer to home. In subtle ways, we get to see Bobbi in her element. We see there's more to her than just being an Avenger and a hero. The situation calls for some different techniques from her background in order to get some answers. Of course things won't be as easy as she may have thought.

I was overjoyed upon discovering that Joëlle Jones was doing the art (have you read LADY KILLER?) Jones does a phenomenal job of capturing Bobbi's essence. She makes her look good but at the same time, you know she'll easily kick the butts of everyone in the room. Rachelle Rosenberg's colors are gorgeous and really makes the book stand out.

There's also a back up story that adapts the upcoming YA novel, Black Widow: Forever Red by Margaret Stohl and includes art by Nico Leon.

The downside is the inclusion of Lance Hunter. I completely understand and can accept his appearance to create some more cohesion between the comic and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. The problem with this being closer to the TV version is it ignores the version we had before. Granted, he wasn't used much but he did just 2014's REVOLUTIONARY WAR: ALPHA #1. It appears he's had a hair transplant and has been working out quite a bit. It's a minor thing and he has a small role in the issue but it will bother long time Marvel readers.

I was afraid this was going to be just a simple 'anniversary' one-shot featuring a character I really dig. Thankfully I was wrong. Chelsea Cain's story mixed with Joëlle Jones' fantastic art and Rachelle Rosenburg's gorgeous colors makes this a fun and visually stimulating read. I would be on board and love it if we had an ongoing MOCKINGBIRD series with this creative team. If you're a Mockingbird fan, you won't want to miss this.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Ostyo

Mockingbird/Songbird Ongoing series, make it happen Marvel.

Omegus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I absolutely agree, Bobbi's solo was outstanding in writing, art , and color tone. I want a Mockingbird series. It worked for Spider-Gwen why not Mockingbird?

hotroddii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By hotroddii
    No Caption Provided

I've seen that cover before!!!

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Felt a lot like the current Batgirl run when I read this. Not saying that's a bad thing.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Make this an ongoing book!

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

They'll probably reveal this is actually Lance Hunter Jr.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to pick this up. Been wrestling with it. Love Mockingbird but hate the movie-izing of everything. But, I want an ongoing.

WAM-Hope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was an awesome issue I know its really hard. But characters like Bobbie deserve the spotlight now and then.

I LOVED the Red Widow story, I really like the character and want to see the encounter between Ava and Natasha.

Moufino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

So this isnt an ongoing series? Darn, I needed something non secret wars to follow. Eh might as well pick it up though.

TheValiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pleasantly surprised at how entertaining this book was. Great standalone story. Well written with good art. The backup story was also entertaining. Worth picking up.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I really enjoy this. The only thing I didn't like was calling Hunter "Mistake #2" when Hunter was meant to be the good guy and Bobbi is kinda HIS mistake.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.