Follow

Miles Morales

Character » Miles Morales appears in 1193 issues.

Originally created in the Ultimate Universe, this version of Spider-Man is a 16 year old kid named Miles Morales from Brooklyn who takes on the Spider-Man identity after Peter Parker's death. Miles discovers spider powers of his own after he was bitten by a spider 11 months before Peter's death, and uses these powers to be the best superhero he can be. Currently, Miles lives in the main Marvel Universe and is a member of the Champions.

Is he based on Donald Glover?

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ssejllenrad

Is Miles Morales based on Donald Glover as a figure of diversity for Spidey? Or something like a product of his Spiderman campaign? Or is it a non-related case?

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

He was the person to come to mind when I heard about Miles becoming the new Spider-Man.

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By difficlus

I was thinking the same thing, I don't mind him at all though. 

ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#4  Edited By ElCapitan

I think Bendis acknowledged the influence

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
    @el33tcapitan said:

I think Bendis acknowledged the influence

More than likely, I'm interested to see where this is all going to go. 
    ElCapitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#6  Edited By ElCapitan

I'm totally reinvigorated for USM, but I haven't read Fallout yet, so I don't know how he's going to be characterized. I wonder what Bendis will do for his story arc. I mean, he's pretty much got cart blanche now to just reuse every storyline from USM since Miles hasn't experienced any of this. Will he develop a completely new supporting cast? How will MJ, May, and Gwen play into this? Very exciting.

Gotta admit part of my excitement comes from being Hispanic myself. My parents are Cuban and I've always loved Spider-Man, so this is really cool.

Edgeworth_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Edgeworth_11
    @el33tcapitan said:

I'm totally reinvigorated for USM, but I haven't read Fallout yet, so I don't know how he's going to be characterized. I wonder what Bendis will do for his story arc. I mean, he's pretty much got cart blanche now to just reuse every storyline from USM since Miles hasn't experienced any of this. Will he develop a completely new supporting cast? How will MJ, May, and Gwen play into this? Very exciting.

Gotta admit part of my excitement comes from being Hispanic myself. My parents are Cuban and I've always loved Spider-Man, so this is really cool.

Agreed. Ecuadorian here so nice to see. I wish this happened in the 616 universe though.
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By InnerVenom123
    No Caption Provided
    Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Samimista

I actually wonder this too.

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Larkin1388
    @Samimista said:
    I actually wonder this too.
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Osiris1428
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    No Caption Provided
    Incredibly stupid. All that guy wants to do is stir up crap. No, Glen, but Marvel did base a character off of you: The Hate Monger. 

Not so much modeled after Donald Glover as is the character modeled after the character he plays in the show Community. Awesome show BTW.
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Osiris1428

By Daniel Bates

Last updated at 1:24 PM on 3rd August 2011

He started life as a white science geek living with his uncle.

But now to reflect the racial changes in America Spider Man has been given a makeover - as a half black half Latino teen.

Miles Morales has replaced Peter Parker as the face behind the famous webbed mask, Marvel Comics has revealed.

'Different background': Miles Morales unveils himself as the new Spiderman in the final issue of Marvel's Ultimate Fallout. He is a young African-American

In the latest edition of the Ultimate Fallout series he pulls back the disguise and shows his face for the first time.

Fans will have to wait until the official Spider Man relaunch next month to find out how he came to be the superhero.

But another surprise could be in the pipeline after his creators said that in the future they would not rule out making him gay.

Spiderman reborn: Morales dons the mask in Ultimate Fallout issue four after learning of Peter Parker's death at the hands of the Green Goblin

Peter Parker first appeared as the superhero in 1962 - having been bitten by a radioactive spider he found he developed the strength and agility of an arachnid.

He was killed off by the Green Goblin in June in a controversial move by Marvel which left fans aghast.

Morales was inspired to do good after learning of the death and in Ultimate Fallout issue four he dons the mask and gets into his first fight.

Marvel has revealed that he does have a connection to Parker in terms of how he got his powers but he will have different abilities beyond ‘Spider Sense’ and the ability to shoot webs out of his hands.

Parker's Aunt May and Gwen Stacy will also be in the plot to help him on his way to being a superhero.

'The theme is the same: With great power comes great responsibility,' Spider Man writer Brian Michael Bendis told USA Today.

'He's going to learn that. Then he has to figure out what that means.

'He's younger than Peter Parker, he's coming from a completely different background, a completely different world view.

'It's Peter Parker's death that inspires this kid to step up.'

Marvel's editor in chief Axel Alonso denied that having a black Spider Man was a publicity stunt.

What you have is a Spider-Man for the 21st century who's reflective of our culture and diversity.

Shake-up: Tobey Maguire played white science geek Peter Parker in the Spiderman films

'As someone who grew up on a steady diet of 'Luke Cage, Hero For Hire' and 'Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu,' I am personally invested.

'This was a conscious decision. Here at Marvel, we pride ourselves on reflecting the real world in all its diversity.

'We think that readers will fall in love with Miles Morales the same way they fell in love with Peter Parker.'

Italian artist Sara Pichelli, who designed Spider-Man's new look, added: 'Maybe sooner or later a black or gay - or both - hero will be considered something absolutely normal.’

Not everything in the world of Spider Man has changed, however.

The Ultimate imprint is separate from Marvel's other comics - where Parker is alive and well.

Ultimate exists in a parallel universe where entirely different realities can take place, Marvel said.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2021563/Marvel-Comics-reveal-new-Spider-Man-black-gay-future.html#ixzz1U6yUSIGY
    Avatar image for the_velvet_rabbit
    The Velvet Rabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope he's not a copy-paste of Parker in terms of personality - and I definitely got the Donald Glover vibe

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Osiris1428

I wonder if they will make him part of the Avengers??

keith71_98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

User Lists: 32

#15  Edited By keith71_98

Miles Morales is coming across as a sales gimmick to steal some of the "diversity" conversation away from DC. Really funny how Marvel didn't mind tooting their own horn when first announcing it. And the idea of maybe making him gay as well??? LOL...how much more obvious can they be? 

Instead of creating a solid African American or Hispanic character and building him up, they kill Peter Parker and milk the already established popularity. How original. 

so glad I have no interest in the Ultimate U.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By daredevil21134

WOW........Ultimate Spidey is African American now.......wow........cool......lol

okayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By okayla

lol, VERY loosely based on Donald since he's half-grown and Miles is like 13. Also pretty sure Donald isn't Hispanic? lol

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By Samimista

Isn't exactly related to this topic but someone said Donald Glover mentioned the new Spider-Man on his Twitter.

blur1528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By blur1528

@Samimista: I recall him saying to Brian Michael Bendis, "Man this is so fly"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.