The Infinity Discussion Thread

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

So, I just read issue 1 of Infinity. I personally thought it was good and well like the G-man mentioned in the review if you don't keep up with Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers titles you'll feel a little out of place. I only read New Avengers so I was a bit confused with the whole Builder's Thing. It looks like it's going to be Thanos vs. Black Bolt though. Thoughts?

uncripted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I believe I'm in a similar situation to you. I've been thinking of picking this issue up, but I've only been following New Avengers and I'm really not interested in following more tie-ins beyond the main six issues. While part of me wants to wait for the graphic novel, the other is drooling with impatience. I'm probably going to get it out of love for Thanos, but I remain reluctant. Anyone's recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 49

#3  Edited By knighthood

I've been reading New Avengers, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Age of Ultron. I think all of these comics relate to Infinity.

New Avengers is the weirdest piece in this puzzle to me. I'm not sure how incursions fit into the whole picture. I'm not sure what the cause is. If they started after AoU it would make more sense.

Avengers is somewhat simpler, I think. The earth was seeded by an ancient civilization that shapes worlds and galaxies. If the seeding fails the worlds are razed and the process begins again. Ex Nihlo, a builder, seeded the earth differently that other worlds. His intention was to make the earth sentient. Other elements from New Universe are also introduced. These builders seem to hold Captain Universe in high esteem. When asked by Captain Universe, Ex Nihlo and his sister Abyss joined the Avengers. There is something wrong with the universe and the "system" overall, likely the cause of the incursions in New Avengers. The earth seeding has failed and the Builders are on their way to earth to wipe the slate clean. The Avengers are leaving earth to stop the Builders before they can reach earth.

The Thanos angle is a direct result of Age of Ultron. In GotG #5 Thanos is explaining why the Earth needs to be destroyed. He is planning on attacking Earth while the Avengers are off the planet.

No Caption Provided

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By knighthood
    dead_again

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really dig it so far. Just got caught up on New Avengers and I'm officially a little less lost. Really excited for the next issue!

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm curious why Hickman went out of his way to include the Spaceknights only to destroy them.

They were Pulsar, Starshine, Firefall, Ikon and Terminator who was the son of Rom. Since the planet was destroyed, I doubt no other Spaceknights would be around to show up later. Does anyone know Rom's status? Last I heard Marvel and the toy company were still in court concerning the character's rights. I think Hasbro may have the rights now, not certain.

Here is some an interesting point...

The Spaceknights are destroyed by the Builders, the inspiringly named other big villains of this event/series/folderol. The Builders were the first beings in the cosmos and the overseers of life, which makes them natural enemies of Thanos, who worships death.

from... http://comicsalliance.com/infinity-plus-one-marvel-comics-review-spoilers-jonathan-hickman-jim-cheung/

Speaking of the Builders. The Caretakers and Curators were previously seen in the Avengers when the superflows (meaning alternate universes I think) were being wiped out...

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

The Skrulls is a loose end as well that I really do not understand. In the free Infinite Comic (or what ever it's called) that included when redeeming Infinity #1 we see the planet Hy'lt Minor being attacked by the Builders. Silver Surfer arrives to help battle off the Builders.

Back on Earth in Infinity #1 we see Skrulls hiding in Italy. Is this a coincidence or something further that Hickman will explore?

Going back to New Avengers it is easy to forget that Hickman introduced Mapmakers with the Blue Incursions. According to their CV wiki they...

The Mapmakers are a group who traverse Universal Incursions in an effort to collect the natural resources from each Earth they arrive on. During an Incursion event, the Mapmakers will destroy their Earth, and send a piece of it to the Living Earth, which in turn stops the incursion.

However, the piece of the dead Earth serves as a marker for the Mapmakers to track, and they eventually follow it and the cycle starts again.

No Caption Provided

At the end of New Avengers #6 Dr. Doom recovers a piece of destroyed earth from an incursion. So that will likely be a plot point as well.

Also in New Avengers all of the Infinity Gems were shattered except for the Time Gem. Which is odd since time travel is what seems to be breaking the Marvel Universe as we know it. Another plot point is that Captain America was assigned the Time Gem originally. After the Gems broke the Illuminati had to mind wipe Cap since they knew he would not agree with their tactics. So does Cap still have the Time Gem somehow? When the Outrider is looking for the Infinity Gems why is Reed's hand empty? Could the Time Gem be with the Hidden Kings and Lost Queen referenced in issue 1?

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By knighthood

@killemall

I noticed your summary in the review thread and thought It'll be useful here as well so I'm going to quote you...

in terms of Infinity? I could give it a try.

==============================

Premise

==============================

Hickman run of Avengers and New Avengers started with 2 different stories, which were somehow merged with each other.

In Avengers a guy called Ex Nihilo appeared in Mars, who wanting to create a better earth sent origin bombs on Earth which was mean to evolve the planet wherever it hit. Avengers manage to defeat him, but he reveals that he was created by this godlike beings called The Builders, whose purpose is to shape planets as they feel right, evolve planets and destroy them as they see if. They have also somehow marked Earth for destruction, why is unknown.

So what Avengers have dont so far is Collected the biggest group of heroes they can find, an all powerful team and decided to confront the Builders before they arrive on Earth.

The opening with the giant ship, guy with horns, flying robots that go destroying planets, that was meant to be the builders done to show that they are extremely powerful as earlier mentioned.

Thats one side of it.

There is a second side of the stories going on that leads to Infinity. New Avengers are dealing with a potentially a multiverse destroying problem called the incursion. Apparently a godlike being was created called Rabum Alal, the great destroyer, we havent seen him yet, whose creation contracted the multiversal time-lines, now universes are moving towards each other and crashing with each other, with the point of contact being Earth. Destroying Earth somehow mysteriously stop this event. This part however at the moment has been left unexplored but knowing how Hickman writer the comics this will eventually pay some big role.

The third side of it, which directly leads to Infinity was Thanos, who apparently now, off panel, has collected an army for himself, he also have 5 generals and are now called the Black Order. Thanos is looking for something, we dont know what it is, but what we do know is its on Earth.

So its the timing thing:

1. Avengers , the biggest heavy hitters, are leaving Earth to face a galactic threat builders.

2. Thanos has decided to come to Earth in search for something, with his army, and we dont know what it is, all we know is its Thanos so whatever he is seeking is going to have huge consequences.

3. Time and again, another universe tries to crash with ours and the only way to prevent it is to destroy that universes earth , killing billions of people in the process.

So thats the whole thing about Infinity.

===============================

Characters

===============================

So major players in the story:

1. Avengers, which you already know.

2. Thanos

3. Builders: the giant flying robots with massive sized ships

4. Black Order , the people that were talking to Thanos

5. Earth Heroes (Inhumans , New Avengers and a new group of heroes called Mighty Avengers)

================================

Not sure if this helps.

Because Infinity isnt a new story that just arrived in the scene, but rather a continuation of what has been happening in Avengers and New Avengers (so 16 issues from Avengers and 8 from New Avengers), finally playing itself out in the grandest of stage i understand how it can be difficult to follow.

I completely overlooked Rabum Alal.

@thefirstlantern@uncripted@juliustakalua@dscythe If you fellas want to add more to the discussion please do so.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood: Superflow is meant to be this system, in each universe, that is responsible to trigger Universes defense under stress-ful condition. In the same issue you will see Nightmask showing Kevin how their superflow in 616 is broken and hence there are no other "defense" system other than starbrand choosen when there were meant to be 3 in total.

And thanks, i am glad someone quoted me :p hehehe

. I've been thinking of picking this issue up, but I've only been following New Avengers and I'm really not interested in following more tie-ins beyond the main six issues. Anyone's recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Easy solution, only pick up Infinity core series and New Avengers tie in.

That way you will understand the Thanos side of the story.

Infinity, core series, deals with 2 stories Avengers vs Builders, Earth vs Black Order (Thanos), Avengers part exclusively deals with Avengers vs Builders, which you can choose to leave out, and focus on New Avengers part that deals exclusively with Earth vs Black Order.

There is likely going to be a flip because looks towards the ends, Thanos as opposed to the more powerful builder race, is going to take the central stage and we can expect a Black Order vs Builder at the later stage.

Spideysense44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

NEW AVENGERSS!! Cant wait to purchase it tummarah

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood: Superflow is meant to be this system, in each universe, that is responsible to trigger Universes defense under stress-ful condition. In the same issue you will see Nightmask showing Kevin how their superflow in 616 is broken and hence there are no other "defense" system other than starbrand choosen when there were meant to be 3 in total.

And thanks, i am glad someone quoted me :p hehehe

My only problem with Hickman's writing style is that it is a bit of a mystery. Then again, trying to figure everything out is fun as well. Back to the superflows, marvel wikia states...

The Superflow is where all sentinent beings go when they dream. It is where ideas come from and from which telepathy operates. Weather in the Superflow is influenced by the Zeitgeist. Nightmasks are the icons for sentinents and can go and out of the it at will. The laws of physics do not apply in the Superflow and there is a Superflow in each universe.

Now I believe this is specific to the Newuniversal mini by Warren Ellis. I'm not certain if Hickman altered the superflows for his run, or where you are getting your definition. I might just need to go back and read some issues again...

*reads comics*

Okay, I see now where the 616 superflow fires and starts the White Event. Since Dreamspace is also mentioned, so the Newuniversal definition is likely still valid.

The missing others, the Justice, Spitfire, and Cipher are not likely going to be used by Hickman. I think he just mentioned them as an easter egg of sorts for people who have read New Universe and/or Newuniversal.

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood: Alright, thanks for that. Now I was reading the solicits for future issues and they say "The Inhumans pay the tribute". Does this mean that Black Bolt will give himself up to Thanos? Will the battle (I think an inevitable one) of BB vs Thanos will be what releases the Terrigen Mist and starts Inhumanity? Also what does that gigantic character that was shown in New Avengers #8 when Tony is talking to read have to do with anything?

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By knighthood

@thefirstlantern: What I've seen so far of people paying tribute is essentially a sacrifice. You did notice those severed heads that were presented to Thanos right?

No Caption Provided

This guy? He is the Living Tribunal. He is essentially the guardian of the multiverse. With reality being torn apart due to all these time and dimension focused events it'd make sense that the Living Tribunal would be in bad shape or possibly even dead.

As far as the Inhumans go... I really do think Thanos will need to travel back in time to retrieve the time gem. He'll face the Kings and Lost Queen mentioned in Infinity issue 1.

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood: Those were heads? Crap, I thought they were like babies. Well I was thinking that it would be an assault as part of Black Bolts attempt to defend earth. Ahh okay I was a little confused. but I feel like he will be a major plot point later. Probably true but he would damage the time stream even more, and have they addressed how he made it back from the Cancerverse? Also it looks like Proxima Midnight is going to face the Mighty Avengers.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers issue 18 advanced the story today. An intergalatic force take on the Builders, and were unsuccessful. Manifold teleports one group of Avengers to safety. A second set of Avengers (Captain Marvel, Hawkeye, Abyss, Sunspot, Cannonball, Starbrand, and Nightmask) are drifting into a gravitational singularity.

Avengers Assemble issue 18 basically retells the same story, but with more of a focus on Spider-Woman.

I've haven't read the other tie in.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I likely Infinity so far but I think these will help you guys out.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowswordmaster: It looks like the cast gets updated with each issue. Here is the cast page from Avengers issues 18.

No Caption Provided

Also, since I'm uploading stuff... I have to give the Falcon's space outfit some props. Not sure if it is new, but I love it.

No Caption Provided

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood: I was about to posted that one but glad you did though.Falcon's new look is pretty cool that is much for certain.The Skrulls for the issue were cool and hope they don't get killed off by the Builders.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I can't make up my mind whether to jump up or not. I cant justify more than 3-4 comics a month and I'm up to my limit. However, the chance to see Blackbolt, who is one of my very favourite Marvel characters and also hopefully the Surfer, who is one of my other favourite Marvel characters is really hard to resist!!

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By knighthood

@bezza: If you can't budget these books maybe you can get a collected edition later. What books are you reading at the moment?

Blackbolt has been pretty regular in New Avengers, and will be featured in Infinity and Inhumanity of course. No sign of the Silver Surfer yet.

Correction...

I already forgot about the awesome digital add-on. That little book was a thing of beauty.

No Caption Provided

ChocolateFrogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I hope this pick this up in a trade if it's still good by the time it's over (Marvel events having their bad reputation nowadays). So, as an outsider looking in, I'm confused how the Avengers and New Avengers titles play in. Because aren't those characters off-world (hence the Mighty Avengers being formed)? But are they fighting Thanos? Isn't he heading toward Earth now? Who are the off-world Avengers fighting?

I'm always excited for more Silver Surfer!

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So I've taken a break from Marvel recently. Infinity sounds like it could be a redeeming story for Marvel. If I jump on board, am I going to have to buy a bunch of old issues from several series to understand what's going on? It seems like there is about a million characters all with different stories leading to this point.

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: @chocolatefrogs: To answer your question, in the Main Avengers book Captain America and Company are recruiting all the heroes they can to fight off the Intergalactic Builders which are headed and threatening to destroy Earth, The New Avengers are the illuminati that consists of Black Bolt,Black Panther,Iron Man, Mr.Fantastic, Namor and Beast. They are on earth just in case the Avengers lose, but at the same time Thanos sends his generals known as the Black Order to finish off the rest of the heroes left behind. That is the main jizz, BB is going to confront thanos in the next infinity issue.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@thefirstlantern: Thanks. It sounds entertaining. I'll probably wait until it's released in a collection.

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: If you want to save money and read it as a whole rather than wait each week that is a good idea

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
    deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this series! So many things happening at once. The artwork is beautiful. I love the fact Ex Nihilo's species names are very similar. Ex Nihila and Ex Nihili.

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheFirstLantern
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefirstlantern: I did and I have to say that Black Bolt just kick it up a level.

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheFirstLantern

@shadowswordmaster: Was that a full power scream though? It seems pretty big, I thought his scream was planet buster level.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefirstlantern: Well Attilan I think is going down along with everyone in it for sure but I could be wrong and the whole Thanos son thing is weird .

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowswordmaster: Yeah I think maximus and lockjaw teleported out just in time. I think Thanos son is the guy in the Inhumanity teaser.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefirstlantern: Maybe but I think it is a different guy entirely .Another thing is that they showed that there were other people fighting Thanos forces on earth other then the Illuminati.The Silver Surfer story was really cool too.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowswordmaster: Yeah I think maximus and lockjaw teleported out just in time. I think Thanos son is the guy in the Inhumanity teaser.

We saw Thanos's son in New Avengers # 10 , no name or anything was mentioned i am guessing its an entirely new character. He was seemingly healing a kid.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shadowswordmaster: Yup, although was there an issue of silver surfer attached to the Infinity?

@thefirstlantern said:

We saw Thanos's son in New Avengers # 10 , no name or anything was mentioned i am guessing its an entirely new character. He was seemingly healing a kid.

Didn't strage say he hadnt been yet exposed to the terrigen mist?

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheFirstLantern
    Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Killemall

Yes but that doesnt change that it clearly looks like a whole new character as opposed to someone whom we already know.

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefirstlantern said:

Yes but that doesnt change that it clearly looks like a whole new character as opposed to someone whom we already know.

Oh well yeah, I thought you ruled out my hypothesis that he is thre character in the Inhumanity Teaser.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thefirstlantern: Yes ,one of the skulls was capture by the avengers and was sent to SWORD.

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh well yeah, I thought you ruled out my hypothesis that he is thre character in the Inhumanity Teaser.

Oh you mean the guy in the hood with a burning eyes or whatever that is?I dont think its Thanos son although could be. The myst has to be unleashed on Earth first creating 100s of inhumans, so could potential be any Inhumans really.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killemall said:

@thefirstlantern said:

I'm still reading even though I thought this thread died 20 some odd days ago. Bleeding Cool has some spoilerish ideas about Thanos' son.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09/20/from-marvel-avengers-alliance-thane-son-of-thanos/

From the link, you can tell his name is Thane which makes sense. Personally I think he will be a healer (as opposed to the destroyer that his father is).

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By knighthood

@oscars94 said:

I love this series! So many things happening at once. The artwork is beautiful. I love the fact Ex Nihilo's species names are very similar. Ex Nihila and Ex Nihili.

They are going to run out of vowels eventually.

TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheFirstLantern

@thefirstlantern said:

@killemall said:

@thefirstlantern said:

I'm still reading even though I thought this thread died 20 some odd days ago. Bleeding Cool has some spoilerish ideas about Thanos' son.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/09/20/from-marvel-avengers-alliance-thane-son-of-thanos/

From the link, you can tell his name is Thane which makes sense. Personally I think he will be a healer (as opposed to the destroyer that his father is).

Oh yes I saw this theory on CBR. Maybe it is. That would be such a fail by marketing Marvel.

Supreme_Maj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok but but we seems to forget a character is missing from action since the big battle has started Hyperion where is he?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.