Follow

Hercules

Character » Hercules appears in 1965 issues.

One of six Olympian sons of Zeus, Hercules was born the savior of the Gods and mankind. Known as the Prince of Power, Hercules is one of the strongest beings in existence, an Olympian God and a modern superhero recognized throughout the world for his might. He has been a champion of mankind since ancient times and continues to defend the world in the modern age - most frequently as a member of the Avengers.

Is Hercules worthy of wielding Mjolnir

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By D3athstroke

Is Hercules worthy of wielding Mjolnir  ?

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2  Edited By The_Martian

Yes and he has done so.

D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By D3athstroke
    @Nobody said:
    " Yes and he has done so. "

Really? ))

can someone show me scan of it please?? : )) 
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By warlock360

I think thor admitted it in battle too, but not over a long term.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By joshmightbe

he used it to take out ragnarok during cival war
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By Erik
    @joshmightbe said:
    " he used it to take out ragnarok during cival war "
    That was not Mjolnir. That was Ragnarok's copy. 
    joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By joshmightbe
    @erik:
    oh nevermind
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By PowerHerc

Hercules is my favorite character and I consider him to be stronger, tougher and a better fighter then Thor.  Despite this, I don't think he should be able to wield Mjolnir.

His past sins, though forgiven, should be enough to explain Herc's lack of worthiness.  If that's not enough then maybe it's his lifelong practice of over-indulgence.

Herc parties harder than anyone, constantly starts brawls with anyone he considers worthy of the gift and gets more ass than a toilet seat.  Maybe his unworthiness is due to both of these things. 

Thor's worthiness is part of his appeal as a character.  Herc's roustabout nature is part of his.   Thor is the honorable good guy.  Hercules is the rogue.  Thor being worthy and Hercules not being worthy make perfect sense and should remain as it is.  Besides Hercules doesn't need a weapon anyway, he's superior to Thor physically (stronger, more durable, more stamina and a better fighter) and is more than capable of battling top-level strong beings without being dependant on anything other than his own inherit physical abilities.

EganTheVile1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 52

#9  Edited By EganTheVile1

Strong enough yes, but Herc is kinda dumb, well maybe dumb is not the right word, but a bit naive anyway

spartan1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By spartan1212

ye hes worthy
    DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By DH69

i thought he lifted it before

Antiochus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Antiochus

This conjures up the awesome image of the ''THORCULES'' storyline... 

God that was awesome...

"Colossus"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By "Colossus"

he lifted it before

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AtPhantom
    When has Hercules lifter Mjolnir?
    thestarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thestarguy

You know, Herc does have past sins that he has atoned for, and that is precisely why he is worthy.  Did you read the two -part back-up story in the "Death of Hercules"?   Totally the best story ever!  Setting up a secret refuge for the misunderstood mythological monster children of the world so that they could grow up learning to love and trust had me in tears.  When Herc faces a foe, he is a true Champion in that he is Always fighting FOR someone or some cause.  He became the legendary hero that he was in ancient Greece because he never hesitated to help someone in need, or to protect mankind from monsters or the capriciousness of his fellow Olympians.  Someone THAT powerful and that compassionate is more than worthy!

Avatar image for crimsonalchemist
    CrimsonAlchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CrimsonAlchemist

Didn't him and Thor switch places for a while and they  exchanged weapons and clothing?

No Caption Provided
    D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By D3athstroke
    @CrimsonAlchemist:
    That is Fake Weapon
    Darkseid Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Darkseid Elite
    @CrimsonAlchemist said:
    "Didn't him and Thor switch places for a while and they  exchanged weapons and clothing?

"

yeah that was a fake it was actually this http://www.comicvine.com/golden-mace/18-44829/  
    just an illusion to make him look like thor
    D3athstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By D3athstroke

Hehehe 
    Hehehe 

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PowerHerc

Maybe after Chaos War he'll be worthy. 

If Herc ends up being as powerful as described in the previews; the point of being worthy could be moot.  He might well have enough power to override the enchantment.  The fact is the issue of his 'worthiness' probably won't even be addressed.

Tank.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tank.

I've yet to see Herc lift the hammer. I also agree with PowerHerc in that he is not worthy to lift it.
    I do however disagree with a few other points that were brought up, but that is for a different debate.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PowerHerc
    @Tank.:
    Ah, a gentleman on the Vine.  Good for you,sir, and good for us as well.
    Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Norusdog
    @PowerHerc: uh huh..tougher, stronger, better fighter then Thor? sorry but just because you like him better does not make this so.  in fact it's not.  far as strength goes it's been show more then once they are equal (pre-odinforce)...tougher? again...typically equal in punishment we see them endure.  better fighter? please...

you consider him to be? because you like him more? that's fine.  but ya can't make up power levels because you like one character better than another.  At the very least they're always shown as almost exact equals...main difference is fighting...and if you think Hercules being a homo-erotic greek wrestling master can trump Thor being trained from birth to battle....then you go boy.
    tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By tensor

forget the hammer hercules is on a different level now he don't need no hammer

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By PowerHerc
    @norusdog said:
    " @PowerHerc: uh huh..tougher, stronger, better fighter then Thor? sorry but just because you like him better does not make this so.  in fact it's not.  far as strength goes it's been show more then once they are equal (pre-odinforce)...tougher? again...typically equal in punishment we see them endure.  better fighter? please...  you consider him to be? because you like him more? that's fine.  but ya can't make up power levels because you like one character better than another.  At the very least they're always shown as almost exact equals...main difference is fighting...and if you think Hercules being a homo-erotic greek wrestling master can trump Thor being trained from birth to battle....then you go boy. "

It seems you've got some homo-erotic thoughts going there,boy.   

Thor himself admitted Herc is a better fighter in the 'Thor:  Blood Oath' mini-series.  Page 1, issue # 4 to be precise.   

As for strength, check their strength feats, their battles and all their entries in the various editions of the" Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe" and you'll see they're often described as even in strength, but the Handbooks have Herc rated higher in the 1983 and 1991 editions.  Herc and Thor are rated on the same level in the other editions, but Thor is never ranked higher than Herc and he doesn't have as many or as impressive strength feats as Herc. 
    RemyLeBeau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By RemyLeBeau

He doesn;t need the hammer, he is fine just the way he is. And besides Herc is a Greek god, Mjolnir is owned by Thor a norse god. It would be weird if he did.

brantumbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By brantumbo
    @PowerHerc:
    ill bite. agreed about the hand to hand fighting. i have that blood oath, and he does say that. something to the point of "but in hand to hand combat...well he is hercules after all". but as far as... you know what, tank was right this is not a thor v herc. i would love to have this debate with you, because i have read plenty of your posts and you seem very reasonable and rational and a very good debater, but perhaps we will do so on a thor v herc thread and not here, lest this be pulled into something it wasnt made to be.  

i was reading the wiki on this site and it said herc had lifted mjolnir. i have never seen that, and if someone knows where it happened, they could enlighten the rest of us. if you cant give scans at least give a title and year or narrow it down even more and give a number. or where thor said that herc has done so. if you know the issue, i will go find it myself.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PowerHerc
    @brantumbo said:
    "@PowerHerc: ill bite. agreed about the hand to hand fighting. i have that blood oath, and he does say that. something to the point of "but in hand to hand combat...well he is hercules after all". but as far as... you know what, tank was right this is not a thor v herc. i would love to have this debate with you, because i have read plenty of your posts and you seem very reasonable and rational and a very good debater, but perhaps we will do so on a thor v herc thread and not here, lest this be pulled into something it wasnt made to be.   i was reading the wiki on this site and it said herc had lifted mjolnir. i have never seen that, and if someone knows where it happened, they could enlighten the rest of us. if you cant give scans at least give a title and year or narrow it down even more and give a number. or where thor said that herc has done so. if you know the issue, i will go find it myself. "

I, too, saw it written on this wiki that Herc had lifted Mjolnir but it has never actually happened.  the wiki has since been changed
    Susanoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Susanoo

No. Herc isn't worthy.
    Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vitality

They should have just let Thor be the only one worthy enough. 

Letting everyone else be worthy to lift it really waters down Thor as a character. 
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PowerHerc
    @Vitality said:
    "They should have just let Thor be the only one worthy enough.  Letting everyone else be worthy to lift it really waters down Thor as a character.  "

I don't mind that Cap once lifted it and even Superman wielded it in the JLA/Avengers crossover, but yeah you're right;  Thor should be the only one worthy of Mjolnir.
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @Vitality said:
    " They should have just let Thor be the only one worthy enough.  Letting everyone else be worthy to lift it really waters down Thor as a character.  "
    It's not everyone else.Most people who have tried to lift the Hammer can't do it.
    seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By seekquaze

Hercules is not worthy.  He has never lifted it.  As pointed out by PowerHerc is he too flawed to be worthy.  If being a good person is all it took Balder or Ben Grimm could lift it. 

darth_fletcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By darth_fletcher

hercules has never lifted mjolnir but thor did state that he was worthy so id say yes seeing as they are pretty much brothers !!!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By PowerHerc
    @darth_fletcher said:
    "hercules has never lifted mjolnir but thor did state that he was worthy so id say yes seeing as they are pretty much brothers !!! "

Thor stated that?  I didn't know that.  It's almost unbelievable.   

Which comic did this happen in?
    darth_fletcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By darth_fletcher

not sure of the exact number but was in an old avengers issue, maybe early 100's !!!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#37  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
    @seekquaze said:
    " Hercules is not worthy.  He has never lifted it.  As pointed out by PowerHerc is he too flawed to be worthy.  If being a good person is all it took Balder or Ben Grimm could lift it.  "
    Wasn't there a recent arc where Hercules WAS Thor?
    darth_fletcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By darth_fletcher

yeah it was a magic illusion that made him look like thor and his mace look like mjolnir !!!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PowerHerc
    @darth_fletcher said:
    "not sure of the exact number but was in an old avengers issue, maybe early 100's !!! "

I don't remember that.  I can't believe it.
    Peperami-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@powerherc: his past sins are completely on par with thor's though. his worst sin would be killing his wife and kids, but that was because he was driven to madness by hera. thor has basically committed genocide in his younger days before he was worthy. why are thor's past sins excusable (when they were done in arrogant full conscience) but hercules' are not excusable? especially when hercules' sins were out of his control?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.